Start Geno

drdetroit

I watched the game a second time last night, and while the last 2 interceptions Fitz threw were bad, the game never should have come down to those two possessions with the defense sitting on passes. Fitz did not play a bad game, the offense as a whole did, including the playcalling. Two dropped TD passes, countless penalties on offense, conservative, predictable playcalling.  Geno fixes absolutely none of the problems, in fact, he very likely makes those problems worse. That said, I am all for putting Geno in to start the rest of the way, to verify how bad he sucks and get a better draft pick when he does verify it.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those two picks at the end of the game killed the team. The D put the Jets in a position to tie the game.  And a mediocre first half with little offense was bad, too. But I stick with the guy. I was tempted yesterday to pull him after the first half. And thought that Geno might be able to move the team better. The guy is only 8 days off of surgery. But I give Ryan the start but if he throws picks Geno goes in on Sunday. 

I watched the game a second time last night, and while the last 2 interceptions Fitz threw were bad, the game never should have come down to those two possessions with the defense sitting on passes. Fitz did not play a bad game, the offense as a whole did, including the playcalling. Two dropped TD passes, countless penalties on offense, conservative, predictable playcalling.  Geno fixes absolutely none of the problems, in fact, he very likely makes those problems worse. That said, I am all for putting Geno in to start the rest of the way, to verify how bad he sucks and get a better draft pick when he does verify it.

This.  Fitz is not leading us the the post season, that is pretty clear to me.  Regardless if you put it on the defense or the offense, Fitz is not a good fit for this team the way it's constructed since he can't stop defenses from stacking the box because of his limited arm.  Both Sanchez and Smith had the same inability albeit for different reasons (too many knucklehead interceptions on their long ball).

So, sadly, it's time to give Geno his final shot at this job.  If he can stop the interceptions then this team still has a shot.  Otherwise, well, at least we'll finally be done with Geno.  

This.  Fitz is not leading us the the post season, that is pretty clear to me.  Regardless if you put it on the defense or the offense, Fitz is not a good fit for this team the way it's constructed since he can't stop defenses from stacking the box because of his limited arm.  Both Sanchez and Smith had the same inability albeit for different reasons (too many knucklehead interceptions on their long ball).

So, sadly, it's time to give Geno his final shot at this job.  If he can stop the interceptions then this team still has a shot.  Otherwise, well, at least we'll finally be done with Geno.  

The one thing I will strongly disagree with you on, I don't think its Fitz's arm strength that is getting the box stacked, I think its Gaileys playcalling. Fitz throws a very good intermediate pass, and the Jets have the receivers to do it. That would be enough to stop the box stacking IF the Jets passed to setup the run, but they do it the other way around. Its a different approach that makes all the difference in the world. 

This team has no shot as is, and Geno does not have any chance of saving the season, the team as a whole has a chance, not Geno. The playcalling, the WR's, the QB, the whole damn thing. Geno is not a good enough QB to overcome the rest of the crap, and you will see the exact same box stacking with him at QB if the playcalling does not change.

No, he would be starting at that point because your guy already ranked the season.  But playing an ineffective QB who is costing the team wins and a playoff spot is much better than seeing the guy you want sit. Stubbornness over a chance is somehow better.  

The Jets have plenty of ineffective players playing at plenty of positions. Replacing the QB at this point is like putting a bandaid on your puss infected AIDS wound.

Geno may suck but the offense is just so limited with Fitzpatrick.  I love his smarts and toughness but with him in there the defense can stack the box and jump routes.

The box is getting stacked because when you watch film, the Jets will run it, and run it, and run it, at a stacked box. Fitz and the WR's have a good enough intermediate passing game that if they passed to setup the run, teams would not be able to stack the box. But the Jets are too stubborn to change it. Put Geno in with his big arm, and keep the same offensive philosophy, and nothing changes at all, it will be the exact same thing.

Exactly. Its the perfect time to do it. Look, Fitz was great in September, no one is looking to take it away. However, we need to face the fact that Fitz isnt the answer here. Not even saying that Geno is the answer, but to not even see if we can get anything out of the potential upside would just be a crime. 

Everyone was stoked when we was 4-1 with Fitz, and rightfully so. But Fitz has also allowed that 4-1 to go to 5-5 afterwards...something that he's done with every team...now even including the jets. 

So, with all of the excuses about Fitz being different under this new regime and being with a "better team" has proven untrue, I think its time to see what Geno can do with a "better team" since he's never been on a good team. 

Whats the worst that could happen? We've already lost to the Bills, Raiders and Texans which would give them the tiebreaker for a playoff run. I say give Geno the keys and prepare him to go minimum 5-1 on the year. Whats the worst that could happen? I mean, we could go on to go 1-5 and end the year 6-10 with Fitz right? 

Can we also get some tackles that can block ?

WR's that can catch the ball ?

A defensive line that can get to the QB ?

A linebacker that can acutally do something other that have his thumb up @ss everytime a RB blows by him ?

A TE period ?

CB's that aren't sitting on their laurels and counting their money. ?

The box is getting stacked because when you watch film, the Jets will run it, and run it, and run it, at a stacked box. Fitz and the WR's have a good enough intermediate passing game that if they passed to setup the run, teams would not be able to stack the box. But the Jets are too stubborn to change it. Put Geno in with his big arm, and keep the same offensive philosophy, and nothing changes at all, it will be the exact same thing.

the jets ran the ball 16 times yesterday and threw it 39 times.  they throw it plenty.  

For real.  I'm already pissed over another loss and now people want to make me watch Geno again.  At least Fitz makes it fun for a little while before we collapse.  There's nothing fun about watching Geno play.  Just a lot of moments of fear when he drops back to pass.

Ive been trying to tell you for months how the Ryan Fitzpatrick story will unfold but you've refused to listen. 

At this point Bowles has to put in Geno and see if he can provide a spark.  I don't care how likeable or what a great "leader" Fitz is.  This isn't a vote for class president.

the jets ran the ball 12 times yesterday and threw it 39 times.  they throw it plenty.  

They through it that many times because they were down big, and the box is not being stacked when they are down big. Its not how often you throw alone, its when you throw. Gailey and Bowles have done a horrible job of taking what the defense is giving. In addition, the Houston defense is pretty damn amazing, lets not forget about that. Look at what they did to the Bengals the week before, and look what the Bengals did last night against a pretty damn good defense in Arizona. The Texans defense is amazing, ecspecially when Clowny plays and is healthy.

I think Fitz is just maxed out at this point.  DB's are jumping routes on 2nd and third down.  His route tree is limited he can't really throw to the go or corner routes so our offensive playbook is limited.

Does not look to me like our WRs have a lot of different routes to run.  A lot of their completions rely on their size, not on elusiveness or play design

They through it that many times because they were down big, and the box is not being stacked when they are down big. Its not how often you throw alone, its when you throw. Gailey and Bowles have done a horrible job of taking what the defense is giving. In addition, the Houston defense is pretty damn amazing, lets not forget about that. Look at what they did to the Bengals the week before, and look what the Bengals did last night against a pretty damn good defense in Arizona. The Texans defense is amazing, ecspecially when Clowny plays and is healthy.

yeah, but why are they still running it then when the box is stacked?  is the OC that much of an idiot? why isn't fitz checking out of the run to throw? is he not allowed?  

i really think fitz just isn't capable.

Fitz is a very likable guy and had a nice start to the season.  He is and never was going to win games on his own. Margin of error way too small.  Running game and defense purified after the Patriot loss.  At this point the team is the bigger issue than the QB.  I would play Geno just for the sake to even give Fiyz couple games off to heal up.  Then last couple games when we are mathematically eliminated give Petty couple games to get his feet wet.  Or... Trade for Glennon and win out. #villian'd

with double the turnovers

Geno may suck but the offense is just so limited with Fitzpatrick.  I love his smarts and toughness but with him in there the defense can stack the box and jump routes.

Agreed. Fitz is fine when you have a GREAT defense and a solid running game. But when he is asked to overcome a bad defense and a weak running game he gets exposed. Falling to 5-5 is not on Fitz, its on the defense/running game, but a change needs to be made. Give Geno 6 games to prove himself. He has weapons and no excuse for sucking. Best case scenario, Geno plays great and we make the playoffs. Worst case scenario Geno plays awful and we get closure on the Geno-era.

Ive been trying to tell you for months how the Ryan Fitzpatrick story will unfold but you've refused to listen. 

At this point Bowles has to put in Geno and see if he can provide a spark.  I don't care how likeable or what a great "leader" Fitz is.  This isn't a vote for class president.

You have thrown your support behind Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez and now Geno Smith.  Your opinion on QB's remains invalid.  And your fantasy football team is terrible.

Fitz is exactly who we've said he was.  Better than Geno, not good enough.  Yet every week we get a thread about it.  Geno amazingly makes Sunday's even less fun than the way we lost the last 2 weeks.  And until an Aaron Rodgers walks through that door we'll continue to need a QB.  Starting Geno solves nothing, and you remain in the wrong.

Fitz is a very likable guy and had a nice start to the season.  He is and never was going to win games on his own. Margin of error way too small.  Running game and defense purified after the Patriot loss.  At this point the team is the bigger issue than the QB.  I would play Geno just for the sake to even give Fiyz couple games off to heal up.  Then last couple games when we are mathematically eliminated give Petty couple games to get his feet wet.  Or... Trade for Glennon and win out. #villian'd

Trade deadline has passed.  :(

You have thrown your support behind Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez and now Geno Smith.  Your opinion on QB's remains invalid.  And your fantasy football team is terrible.

Chad Pennington, Sanchez, and Geno have all accomplished something your hero hasn't..  a .500 or better season.  Just admit you were wrong and yield.  You've lost.

My FF team has been plagued with injuries and I still have them at .500.

Can we also get some tackles that can block ?

WR's that can catch the ball ?

A defensive line that can get to the QB ?

A linebacker that can acutally do something other that have his thumb up @ss everytime a RB blows by him ?

A TE period ?

CB's that aren't sitting on their laurels and counting their money. ?

Our WR's are still the best I've seen in a long time. Marshall makes some great catches but also drops the ball. He's like today's version of Terrell Owens. I think Decker is solid.

Our Dline isnt built to rush the passer though they do okay, they are more built to stop the run. Leonard Williams shouldnt have been our draft pick. The kid isnt bad, but he's not a talent that we didnt have. Many people thought that it was so great after Sheldon was suspended, but I believe that Leger Douzable could have filled in and we would have had similar production.

Our LB'ers are suspect I agree, though with all of the bitching about his contract this past offseason....David Harris was worth every bit of that money. Demario Davis is a "supporting cast" type player. He's good, but we can most def upgrade. Mauldin is flashing. Reilly is limited, but he's decent on special teams. 

I dont even know what to say about our TE situation lol. 

Our CB's arent too bad. I like Marcus Williams and I seriously think that we need to sit Cro. I think Skrine is good and I think Revis isnt the same Revis of 09/10 obviously, but he's still one of the best in the league. 

Our problem is the QB position and the offensive line. I said pre-draft that we should be looking for D'Bricks and Mangold's replacement as well as drafting some Guards. 

When It looked like the LT from Notre Dame, Ron Stanley was going to come out I wanted the Jets to draft him with their 1st pick and I wanted the Jets to draft Ali Marpet as a guard. 

Stanley stayed in school and Marpet was taken in the 2nd when I thought he would be available in the 3rd. Either way I felt that the Jets could have traded down then drafted Andrus Peat and another top lineman and sit them for a year. People dont like to sit their top draft picks. 

At this point it would have been great NOT to have Williams and to have some depth at on the Oline to where we could really move Giaccomini/Brick etc and put in some young top talent. 

Williams is a good draft pick, but really its doing nothing for us. Sheldon Richardson's arrest doesnt change the fact that we didnt need Williams when he plays a position where we had the most depth. 

exactly it's obvious why our offense has underperformed last several weeks

DB's are jumping out routes on obvious passing routes because Fitz can only make about 4 throws.

the problem with fitz is that if he's playing from behind he crumbles. If the defense pitches a shutout fitz is actually pretty good 

Chad Pennington, Sanchez, and Geno have all accomplished something your hero hasn't..  a .500 or better season.  Just admit you were wrong and yield.  You've lost.

My FF team has been plagued with injuries and I still have them at .500.

You're about to be 5-6.  Everybody's been plagued with injuries.  And this is what you get for drafting Tom Brady.  Just like we told you at the draft.

You guys actually almost had me convinced about this stacking the box, need for a deep arm sh*t.  They Fitzpatrick hurt his thumb and Geno took over.  You guys forgot that already?  All is forgiven?  He sucked against the worst pass in football playing a prevent for 3 quarters.

64%, 265, 2TD's, 1 INT is the same stat line that people have been giving Fitzpatrick reach arounds for.

if that sucks what has Fitz been doing? 

the jets ran the ball 16 times yesterday and threw it 39 times.  they throw it plenty.  

They throw it plenty because opposing defenses have stoned Chris Ivory.  Guys like Brady can win on their own with no rushing game. Guys like Fitz can't.   I'm not sure Geno's going to do any better based on arm strength since Decker and Marshall can't out run anybody deep and Devin Smith can't catch...

Archived