Start Geno

drdetroit

64%, 265, 2TD's, 1 INT is the same stat line that people have been giving Fitzpatrick reach arounds for.

if that sucks what has Fitz been doing? 

Hate to use the "eye test" but staying in bounds, taking sacks and losing yards on a two minute drill are ******* disasters.  If I were the coach, I honestly would have pulled him off the field by his facemask.  Each time I had time to scream Throw it out of ******* bounds!"  at least three times between when he left the pocket and when he took the sack.  Fitzpatrick not being the answer does not make Geno a better option.  I am so sick of the ******* moronic Jets fan "anyone is better" mentality. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting Geno Smith will have ZERO affect on this team.

He will throw better looking passes with more zip.  He will perhaps throw better deep balls but for whatever positive he brings it will be negated by inconsistent decisions running the ball, making poor reads resulting in turnovers and taking horrible sacks because he is unaware in the pocket.

The net pluses and minuses will balance out and we will score from 17 to 24 points.

Meanwhile the true culprit as to why this team is losing, defense and special teams will merrily go on their way totally under achieving and being out schemed.

Starting Geno Smith will have ZERO affect on this team.

He will throw better looking passes with more zip.  He will perhaps throw better deep balls but for whatever positive he brings it will be negated by inconsistent decisions running the ball, making poor reads resulting in turnovers and taking horrible sacks because he is unaware in the pocket.

The net pluses and minuses will balance out and we will score from 17 to 24 points.

Meanwhile the true culprit as to why this team is losing, defense and special teams will merrily go on their way totally under achieving and being out schemed.

no evdence Geno would throw more ints...Fitz is throwing more than Geno did last year...and Fitz threw 2 horrid INTS yesterday when it nattered...

Fitz simply hasn't played well enough to keep the starting job. Might as well find out what Geno is with 2 good receivers and an offense that's a better fit for him.

Agreed 100%.  Time to move on.  Fitz has hit mid-season wall and is playing pathetic Football.  They guy is just incapable of lasting more than 8 games.  You see now why he's never eclipsed 6 wins.  Injury prone, average QB who does nothing well and just eventually hits a wall and is completely ineffective.  

The Jets have plenty of ineffective players playing at plenty of positions. Replacing the QB at this point is like putting a bandaid on your puss infected AIDS wound.

not replacing the QB now or soon would be stupid.  To now claim the QB isn't at fault, to not see how his ineffective play has consequences to other parts of the team is putting your he's in the sand for some unknown reason.  He's not getting it done.  And you're getting desperate to forgive him for being what he is.  Mediocre at best

no evdence Geno would throw more ints...Fitz is throwing more than Geno did last year...and Fitz threw 2 horrid INTS yesterday when it nattered...

If you can show me where I said he would throw more ints I will take this post into account.  He won't throw less and he has a better chance of fumbling, his history says that.

his play in his one game this year confirmed totally that he is the same Geno as always, looks better throwing the ball but is totally deficient in other areas.

Geno or Fitz makes no difference at all, neither is going to put up 30 points often if at all.  We need to be discussing the defense and special teams 100 times more than the Qb situation, QBing is not losing games.

I mean, if you start Geno at this point, there's no sense in starting any veterans. It's a complete white flag on the season. All you're doing is switching from a veteran who commands respect who is limited physically and stares down receivers to a 3rd year player who is limited physically and mentally and stares down receivers. If that's cool with you guys, fine. I'd rather see Petty. It's not too soon for him, I don't think.

I do agree it's time to see what McDougle, Milliner, Mauldin, etc all have. Getting the young guys reps totally makes sense. Cro, Coples, etc won't be here next season. Time to get a jump on scouting the Jets.

If you can show me where I said he would throw more ints I will take this post into account.  He won't throw less and he has a better chance of fumbling, his history says that.

his play in his one game this year confirmed totally that he is the same Geno as always, looks better throwing the ball but is totally deficient in other areas.

Geno or Fitz makes no difference at all, neither is going to put up 30 points often if at all.  We need to be discussing the defense and special teams 100 times more than the Qb situation, QBing is not losing games.

every player needs to be evaluated, Fitzpatrick doesn't get a free pass because you don't like geno. Nobody's job should be safe right now

Hate to use the "eye test" but staying in bounds, taking sacks and losing yards on a two minute drill are ******* disasters.  If I were the coach, I honestly would have pulled him off the field by his facemask.  Each time I had time to scream Throw it out of ******* bounds!"  at least three times between when he left the pocket and when he took the sack.  Fitzpatrick not being the answer does not make Geno a better option.  I am so sick of the ******* moronic Jets fan "anyone is better" mentality. 

I'm inclined to let him slide a bit on that...  he hadn't seen live action in almost a year and was thrust into a game where the D was sleepwalking. 

I want to see a full week of prep and a game plan catered to him.  When you take into account everything that was going against him in that game he played pretty well..  He gets destroyed for trying to get extra yardage and not go out of bounds while Fitz is lauded for lowering his head and ramming into guys that could literally kill him. 

Fitz for all his Haavad education and leadership skills refuses to slide.  When I saw his face after that TD run I thought he was immediately going to IR.

every player needs to be evaluated, Fitzpatrick doesn't get a free pass because you don't like geno. Nobody's job should be safe right now

No ones giving Fitz a pass. The problem with Geno seemingly is the locker room doesnt like him. The fans dont control this.

No ones giving Fitz a pass. The problem with Geno seemingly is the locker room doesnt like him. The fans dont control this.

Bowles does.  And it isn't a popularity contest.  I don't always like the people I work with but I'm still expected to perform.

In other words, tfb.

Fitzpatrick is what he is, a totally limited high character place holder QB.  I'd be all for replacing him tomorrow if a better alternative pops up.  This left wing/right wing like assumption that if you like or dislike one you hate or like the other is totally out of hand on these forums.  The Jets have no viable good long term starting Qb right now.  Saying that, it does not matter who is behind center because the team is losing because our over hyped defense is crapping the bed.

Fitzpatrick performance on the whole and week to week is zero surprise and neither would genos if he gets another chance.

The biggest troubling vibe coming from the jets brain trust the last few weeks has been that they love what fitz is doing and will be looking to resign him him as a starter next year.

In the end the multi million dollar secondary, glacial like LBs and the legion of 1st round dlineman have been falling on their ass, that is why this team is now on the outside looking in.

A lot of the play calling is bad. But the plays surely aren't designed for Fitz to force it in to his primary read, his RB, or no one at all. He can't - or doesn't - see the field and it takes too long for him to figure out whether or not someone's open. I'm not saying Geno is any better in this regard, because he absolutely isn't. But a lot of plays look worse because Fitz only looks at one option, stares him down, and either forces it in to a covered receiver or abandons the entire play if he opts not to. 

When was the last time you saw him start out with his head (or his gaze, when they show replays) targeting a receiver and then, in less than 2 or 3 seconds, look away to the other side of the field (or even the middle) to see if anyone else is open? Not even completing to someone else; I mean just looking at someone else. He's like a horse with blinders on. 

He forced a good number of passes in there that never should have been thrown yesterday. He has no choice because it's all he's capable of. He processes things too slowly on the field. There were around 10 dropbacks (a) a pass he never should have thrown in the first place but it was the only option he gave himself; (b) the play ended badly for another reason other than a pick/incomplete pass, but also because he's totally focused only on 1 receiver running his pattern and is oblivious to anything else going on.

It's not going to get any better. He's not going to improve in this regard. Geno has no awareness either, and no one likes him to boot. It looks like we're either just treading water until the playoffs window is closed, or until Fitz gets hurt again, at which time Bowles can try out the rookie without the mob/media blaming him for prematurely tanking a season while we still had a chance (never mind that we don't have a chance with Fitz anyway, but that's not going to stop the criticism). If Petty is even ready enough for garbage time games, that is.

Fitzpatrick is what he is, a totally limited high character place holder QB.  I'd be all for replacing him tomorrow if a better alternative pops up.  This left wing/right wing like assumption that if you like or dislike one you hate or like the other is totally out of hand on these forums.  The Jets have no viable good long term starting Qb right now.  Saying that, it does not matter who is behind center because the team is losing because our over hyped defense is crapping the bed.

Fitzpatrick performance on the whole and week to week is zero surprise and neither would genos if he gets another chance.

The biggest troubling vibe coming from the jets brain trust the last few weeks has been that they love what fitz is doing and will be looking to resign him him as a starter next year.

In the end the multi million dollar secondary, glacial like LBs and the legion of 1st round dlineman have been falling on their ass, that is why this team is now on the outside looking in.

absolutely agree 100%, I found this very troubling as well. Especially with the contract they gave Revis, I am very concerned with this 

I mean, if you start Geno at this point, there's no sense in starting any veterans. It's a complete white flag on the season. All you're doing is switching from a veteran who commands respect who is limited physically and stares down receivers to a 3rd year player who is limited physically and mentally and stares down receivers. If that's cool with you guys, fine. I'd rather see Petty. It's not too soon for him, I don't think.

I do agree it's time to see what McDougle, Milliner, Mauldin, etc all have. Getting the young guys reps totally makes sense. Cro, Coples, etc won't be here next season. Time to get a jump on scouting the Jets.

Except few coaches would do this at 5-5. The last time I remember (offhand) a new coach tanking a season to get reps for a young guy, while the team was mathematically still very much in a playoff hunt, was the Giants in Eli's rookie season when Coughlin benched Warner with the team still at 5-4 (they'd go on to lose the next 6 in a row behind Eli). 

Agree with you that, if they want to tank to get young guys reps, do it with (and for) Petty, not Geno. 

Except few coaches would do this at 5-5. The last time I remember (offhand) a new coach tanking a season to get reps for a young guy, while the team was mathematically still very much in a playoff hunt, was the Giants in Eli's rookie season when Coughlin benched Warner with the team still at 5-4 (they'd go on to lose the next 6 in a row behind Eli). 

Agree with you that, if they want to tank to get young guys reps, do it with (and for) Petty, not Geno. 

Under no circumstances should Bryce Petty see the field this year.  He's not ready.  They've said as much a number of times.

They've also said Antonio Cromartie earned his starting job. So much for what they say.

This regime seems to be Rex like in that they will bend over backwards for vets and are pretty careful with young guys even if they deserve time.  (A guy like Mauldin should be playing WAYYYYYYYYYYYY more than our present jag fest at olb)

You guys actually almost had me convinced about this stacking the box, need for a deep arm sh*t.  They Fitzpatrick hurt his thumb and Geno took over.  You guys forgot that already?  All is forgiven?  He sucked against the worst pass in football playing a prevent for 3 quarters.

exactly.  If you want to give up on the season then play geno.  If you are giving up may as well play petty then and learn something

This; it is what I meant a while back when Bowles said that the fight didn't effect their thoughts on Geno; we was done on this team long before.

They will play Fitz until he is either hurt of we are eliminated from the playoffs; if he is ready, we will start Petty to see what he has (without the pressure of winning)

Bull sh*t.  He was the unquestioned starter till he got his jaw broke now they've got their answer?  

The sh*t coming out of Jets camp right now...is exactly that, sh*t.  

There wasnt much of a question for Fitz?  Cro too, huh?  My god, this dude has no clue whats going on around him.

Bull sh*t.  He was the unquestioned starter till he got his jaw broke now they've got their answer?  

The sh*t coming out of Jets camp right now...is exactly that, sh*t.  

There wasnt much of a question for Fitz?  Cro too, huh?  My god, this dude has no clue whats going on around him.

The Jets organization just when you think things cant get any worse our DUMB head coach sticks with a journey man SCRUB who SUCKS 

Genos history as of now is that he threw 13 picks over the course of his entire season a year ago.  Thats without the benefit of better WRs and leads in games.  Fitz in 9 games is all of 2 behind that number with more talent.  Theres no way of saying he wouldnt have improved on his INT totals as he did from year 1 to year 2 in year 3.  

Archived