Todd Bowles on Jets WR Devin Smith: Rookies need to grow up ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- For the second week in a row, Devin Smith was one of the goats in a New York Jets loss. He sat on his locker stool late Sunday afternoon, hunched over, his face buried in his hands. At his side was wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell, who was whispering words of encouragement.

Smith's rookie nightmare continues.

The Jets drafted Smith in the second round because of his ability as a vertical threat, his uncanny knack for tracking deep balls in the air. Late in the third quarter, Ryan Fitzpatrick put one up in the air for Smith, a well-thrown deep ball, 46 yards from the Houston Texans' end zone.

It should've been a touchdown, but Smith dropped it -- a huge mistake in the Jets' 24-17 loss at NRG Stadium.

"Our rookies have to stop being rookies," said Todd Bowles, who was really referring to only one rookie. "They need to grow up. They get paid like everybody else and they've got to start acting like they're not in college anymore."For the mild-mannered Bowles, that qualifies as sharp criticism. This was the second straight game that Smith hurt the Jets with a costly mistake. Remember, there was the fumbled kickoff return against the Buffalo Bills, who returned it for a touchdown last Thursday.

"It's been tough," Smith said of his rookie season. "I know my time is coming. I'm going to keep working hard. When that day comes, everybody will know."The Jets dressed only five receivers for the game, deciding to make Kenbrell Thompkins -- not Smith -- inactive. At this point in their careers, Thompkins is a better receiver than Smith. Bowles was asked if Smith's draft status played a role in the decision.

"Absolutely not," he said.

Smith didn't exactly own up to his drop, saying he "didn't see it until the last minute. It was a little tough."Smith was targeted four times, finishing with zero catches. There was another borderline drop. Afterward, he received pep talks from his teammates, including Brandon Marshall, who had two drops of his own.

"They don't want a player to get down, so they came over and talked to me and told me to keep my head up," Smith said.

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56398/todd-bowles-on-jets-wr-devin-smith-rookies-need-to-grow-up

— Rookie wide receiver Devin Smith dropped a huge pass in the third quarter of Sunday’s loss to the Texans, and it sounds like his coach is losing patience with him.“Our rookies got to stop being rookies. They need to grow up,” coach Todd Bowles said when asked about Smith. “They get paid like everybody else, and they’ve got to start acting like they’re not in college anymore.”

It looked like Smith might make a huge play when Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a deep ball his way and it hit his hands, but he dropped what would have been a 46-yard touchdown.“I just didn’t catch it. I just didn’t catch it. Got to come down with it,” Smith said.

Smith was clearly down after the game, sitting at his locker while getting consoled by wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell and fellow receiver Brandon Marshall.Smith, a second-round pick out of Ohio State, has had a disappointing rookie year. He has battled injuries and ineffectiveness. Smith had no catches in Sunday’s game despite four targets. He has seven catches and no touchdowns this season.

“It’s tough, but I know my time is coming,” Smith said. “I’ll just keep working hard and when that day comes everyone will know.”

Center Nick Mangold left the game in the first half with a laceration on his right hand between his pinkie and ring finger and could not return to the game. X-rays showed no break in the hand, but Mangold received stitches. He tried to snap the ball, but could not.“I attempted, but I couldn’t get a firm grip on the ball,” he said. “That’s all I needed to do is roll a couple of snaps back there and really screw the team up.”Mangold was unsure what caused the cut. He said he looked down at his hand and saw the blood. He will have an MRI exam on Monday to make sure there is no structural damage. Mangold said he was optimistic about playing next week against the Dolphins. It likely will depend on whether he can practice this week, though.

RB Chris Ivory injured his knee on his first play of the game, but was able to return. He did not sound concerned about it after the game. … CB Dee Milliner, a first-round pick in 2013, was inactive for the game. Milliner battled an illness this week, missing practice on Wednesday and Thursday, but he was healthy enough to practice Friday. … DE Sheldon Richardson (hamstring) was inactive. … WR Quincy Enunwa returned from a four-game suspension and had two catches for 22 yards. … RB Bilal Powell returned after missing the last four games. He had four rushes for 22 yards and five catches for 67 yards.

>    http://nypost.com/2015/11/22/todd-bowles-rips-into-jets-rookie-after-devastating-drop/

-- For the second week in a row, Devin Smith was one of the goats in a New York Jets loss. He sat on his locker stool late Sunday afternoon, hunched over, his face buried in his hands. At his side was wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell, who was whispering words of encouragement.

Smith's rookie nightmare continues.

The Jets drafted Smith in the second round because of his ability as a vertical threat, his uncanny knack for tracking deep balls in the air. Late in the third quarter, Ryan Fitzpatrick put one up in the air for Smith, a well-thrown deep ball, 46 yards from the Houston Texans' end zone.

It should've been a touchdown, but Smith dropped it -- a huge mistake in the Jets' 24-17 loss at NRG Stadium.

"Our rookies have to stop being rookies," said Todd Bowles, who was really referring to only one rookie. "They need to grow up. They get paid like everybody else and they've got to start acting like they're not in college anymore."For the mild-mannered Bowles, that qualifies as sharp criticism. This was the second straight game that Smith hurt the Jets with a costly mistake. Remember, there was the fumbled kickoff return against the Buffalo Bills, who returned it for a touchdown last Thursday.

"It's been tough," Smith said of his rookie season. "I know my time is coming. I'm going to keep working hard. When that day comes, everybody will know."The Jets dressed only five receivers for the game, deciding to make Kenbrell Thompkins -- not Smith -- inactive. At this point in their careers, Thompkins is a better receiver than Smith. Bowles was asked if Smith's draft status played a role in the decision.

"Absolutely not," he said.

Smith didn't exactly own up to his drop, saying he "didn't see it until the last minute. It was a little tough."Smith was targeted four times, finishing with zero catches. There was another borderline drop. Afterward, he received pep talks from his teammates, including Brandon Marshall, who had two drops of his own.

"They don't want a player to get down, so they came over and talked to me and told me to keep my head up," Smith said.

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56398/todd-bowles-on-jets-wr-devin-smith-rookies-need-to-grow-up

This guy is so full of ******* sh*t at this point.

The best guy will play, yada yada yada.

Smith has looked nothing short of pure awful pretty well all season.  He deserves it.  You can only pat guys on the head for so long.  The fact that Bowles has made lots of mistakes this year doesn't lessen the fact that this guy (Smith) looks worse than Stephen Hill in his rookie year by a lot and that is not good news.

Remember that time everyone flamed me for interrupting the Fitz/Geno bickerfest to talk about my concerns with Devin as a WR prospect?

Ahead of the curve, as usual. WOCKA WOCKA!!! 

you actually predicted that a 2nd round WR might have trouble adapting to the NFL in his rookie season?  impressive stuff man.

The fact that Jeremy Kerley saw one offensive snap yesterday tells me more than I need to know about this coaching staff. They need to get it together and start playing the players that need to play. It boggles my mind they'll be loyal to Cro on the outside, toast after toast, but spite Kerley and leave him on the sidelines when you know he'll go and get those catches these other guys are dropping. There is no rhyme or reason to the people that are actually getting playing time right now.

The fact that Jeremy Kerley saw one offensive snap yesterday tells me more than I need to know about this coaching staff. They need to get it together and start playing the players that need to play. It boggles my mind they'll be loyal to Cro on the outside, toast after toast, but spite Kerley and leave him on the sidelines when you know he'll go and get those catches these other guys are dropping. There is no rhyme or reason to the people that are actually getting playing time right now.

I agree with this, i am no super Kerley fan  (Can't stand him on punts) but he has shown to be a reliable chain mover over the years.

This.  It's unreal at this point.  And its like they're literally not even going to entertain the idea of trying something new. 

This.  It's unreal at this point.  And its like they're literally not even going to entertain the idea of trying something new. 

The one new thing they did try the last two weeks is a disaster...Ridley is pure garbage as a runner, if he is on the field they need to throw it to him out the backfield and nothing else.  How he can take snaps from Ivory or Powell is mind boggling.

The one new thing they did try the last two weeks is a disaster...Ridley is pure garbage as a runner, if he is on the field they need to throw it to him out the backfield and nothing else.  How he can take snaps from Ivory or Powell is mind boggling.

Maybe the 4-1 start clouded things...but I cant belive after all the spending this offseason we didnt bring in another viable running back. Ridley and Stacy are both useless.

you actually predicted that a 2nd round WR might have trouble adapting to the NFL in his rookie season?  impressive stuff man.

I didn't say anything about predictions. Nor did I say anything about him "adapting". Frankly, I'm not sure I know what you are talking about. Probably because you don't either.

I expressed concerns with his route running, his lack of physicality, and the amount of time he was missing. All relevant, all things nobody wanted to hear at the time, but are becoming more and more glaring. 

Does anyone have a video of the drop down the sideline?

Do you really need it?  Just imagine a perfectly placed ball, landing in the bread basket of an uncontested WR, hitting him directly in the hands and then the ball hitting the ground.

EDIT: It's basically the same route and ball I throw to my 9 year old nephew and he hauls it in 9 out of 10 times.

Do you really need it?  Just imagine a perfectly placed ball, landing in the bread basket of an uncontested WR, hitting him directly in the hands and then the ball hitting the ground.

I saw it live. I just saw a quote from Smith saying he had a hard time tracking the ball. I was hoping to see that and the Marshall drop again to see if they were as bad as I remember.

I saw it live. I just saw a quote from Smith saying he had a hard time tracking the ball. I was hoping to see that and the Marshall drop again.

Did he have a hard time tracking the ball he fumbled last week too?  He had to come all the way across the end zone to field it. 

Did he have a hard time tracking the ball he fumbled last week too?  He had to come all the way across the end zone to field it. 

I'm not a fan of this kid. ESPN did a thing on him predraft and he seemed like a stump. Pretty much confirming all initial thoughts on his 'tude. You're not going to be wide open in the NFL buddy.

I'm not a fan of this kid. ESPN did a thing on him predraft and he seemed like a stump. Pretty much confirming all initial thoughts on his 'tude. You're not going to be wide open in the NFL buddy.

How about the alligator arm drop too?  

He was basically the only WR I didnt want to draft in that entire class.  I was screaming for Strong (who hasnt done sh*t either) or Green-Beckham.

How about the alligator arm drop too?  

He was basically the only WR I didnt want to draft in that entire class.  I was screaming for Strong (who hasnt done sh*t either) or Green-Beckham.

DGB is a slug. The kid the Seahawks took,Lockett- who can return kicks seemed like a guy we'd target. But alas, we use two of our first 3 picks on the DL...again.

Smith is getting advice from marshall who drops every other pass.  Yikes!

It is actually extraordinary the free ride that Marshall has received from posters on this board.  Yes, he is the best receiving talent we have had on the team in I don't even know how long and,  he makes highlight reel catches almost every week.  But he also drops passes at an astonishing rate, he fumbles and who can forget that bonehead lateral manoeuvre?   Marshall gets oodles of praise for the good things he does and almost no mention is made of the weekly turds he is dropping on the dining room table. 

Brandon Marshall is a double-edged sword and we saw it again this Sunday.

It is actually extraordinary the free ride that Marshall has received from posters on this board.  Yes, he is the best receiving talent we have had on the team in I don't even know how long and,  he makes highlight reel catches almost every week.  But he also drops passes at an astonishing rate, he fumbles and who can forget that bonehead lateral manoeuvre?   Marshall gets oodles of praise for the good things he does and almost no mention is made of the weekly turds he is dropping on the dining room table. 

Brandon Marshall is a double-edged sword and we saw it again this Sunday.

Its easy to see why he's been on 4 teams.

I saw it live. I just saw a quote from Smith saying he had a hard time tracking the ball. I was hoping to see that and the Marshall drop again to see if they were as bad as I remember.

the marshal drop was a bit of a low throw, but certainly should have been caught, if its the one I am thinking of

Archived