Home From Houston with Thoughts

ZachEY

So, I traveled with my father to Houston to watch some terrible football, and came home with a few thoughts.  Indulge me... Or not...

- In the box matrix of watching football, there's Exciting/Win, Boring/Win, Exciting/Lose, and Boring/Lose.  Sadly, the Jets fit into the Boring/Lose category.  There was about 5 minutes of that game that were entertaining, and that time was punctuated by Fitzpatrick staring down his receivers and throwing the ball away.  This is why so many people claim to be abandoning ship.  If you're going to lose, at least be entertaining in the loss.

- Coaching has been underwhelming.  I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but it certainly was not good.  I absolutely hate the party line that the team came out flat.  People act like you either win, or you come out flat.  We lost to Houston because they were a better team.  They won the battle at the line of scrimmage and Hopkins won his individual matchup.  They won those match-ups because they were better, regardless of the coach.  That said, there's plenty of cause for concern.  The clock-management of late has been poor and the decision not to max protect for Watt was questionable, as was that 12-men penalty.  Still, we lost this game because we lack the talent to be a consistently good team.  That our best offensive play was a pass interference penalty should speak to that.

- Talent is, was, and seems as if it will always be the problem.  The coaching staff has not impressed, but they aren't the main reason we are losing games right now.  We're losing games because we simply aren't a very good football team.  Compared to last year, we have a few more recognizable names, but I'm not sure we're much better.  Years and years of terrible drafting and this is the result.  Think about it this way, if Houston came calling and said they want to trade you JJ Watt, but we want 4 players of our choice, can you think of ANY four players you wouldn't give them right now to make that deal?  I'm not so sure.  We are going to need a few good drafts in a row to make up for all the bad drafting that's been done as of late.

- The debate about Fitz/Geno has certainly driven post counts, but it's largely irrelevant.  They both aren't getting it done.  Earlier in the year, I said something supporting Fitzpatrick based on the fact that I thought his play was sub-par, but the team was winning, so you could not make the switch.  His play hasn't changed all that much, but the team is losing.  I'd be open to going with Geno, only because of youth and a better arm, but honestly, it doesn't really matter, because unless Petty takes a monster leap forward, there's still not a QB on this roster.  It's a wash, despite how much time people are investing in the debate.

- I agree with McCagnan, that this season's success is not measured in a playoff appearance.  However, this season unfortunately isn't hitting other metrics of success either, so that's a problem.  My biggest concern in that regard is what gives us something to be excited about for the future.  Sadly, Leonard Williams and Devin Smith are not producing or flashing in any meaningful way, and the most exciting player on this team, Brandon Marshall, won't be around by the time the team catches up, if it does.

- The biggest disappointment of the season is the defensive line.  The amount of money and draft equity locked up on this unit and they're not really winning the battle at the LOS consistently.  Hopefully Leonard Williams turns into a player, but it looks like we have another guy who can't get to the QB.  With the amount invested at this position, it should be a top of the league, foreboding unit, instead of 'above average' at best.

- Paying Cro was a mistake, but so was paying Revis.  I'm no Idzik supporter, and have said on numerous occasions that it was correct to fire him, but if you can't see the wisdom in some of his restraint, you're just being biased.  Revis is still a good CB, but he's not an elite anymore.  He never had the best physical tools, and as he gets older, we're seeing younger, more athletic guys, have their way with him.  If Cro wasn't so bad, Cooper would have destroyed him, and Hopkins made Revis look like a practice squad player.  He'll still make plays, but that's in large part due to him being challenged much more.  Interestingly, this is probably the first time we've been solid at safety in forever.

- Why do we never run play action passes?

- Our WRs drop way too many passes... When your QB sucks, you can't get away with that.

- Our return game is non-existent, and this is a team that needs to win the field position battle.

- Sanchez had a 3-pick debacle, so at least that was enjoyable.

- Houston is the city of 1000 Parking Garages.  Had some solid meals though.

- Go Rangers... Go Knicks...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I traveled with my father to Houston to watch some terrible football, and came home with a few thoughts.  Indulge me... Or not...

- In the box matrix of watching football, there's Exciting/Win, Boring/Win, Exciting/Lose, and Boring/Lose.  Sadly, the Jets fit into the Boring/Lose category.  There was about 5 minutes of that game that were entertaining, and that time was punctuated by Fitzpatrick staring down his receivers and throwing the ball away.  This is why so many people claim to be abandoning ship.  If you're going to lose, at least be entertaining in the loss.

- Coaching has been underwhelming.  I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but it certainly was not good.  I absolutely hate the party line that the team came out flat.  People act like you either win, or you come out flat.  We lost to Houston because they were a better team.  They won the battle at the line of scrimmage and Hopkins won his individual matchup.  They won those match-ups because they were better, regardless of the coach.  That said, there's plenty of cause for concern.  The clock-management of late has been poor and the decision not to max protect for Watt was questionable, as was that 12-men penalty.  Still, we lost this game because we lack the talent to be a consistently good team.  That our best offensive play was a pass interference penalty should speak to that.

- Talent is, was, and seems as if it will always be the problem.  The coaching staff has not impressed, but they aren't the main reason we are losing games right now.  We're losing games because we simply aren't a very good football team.  Compared to last year, we have a few more recognizable names, but I'm not sure we're much better.  Years and years of terrible drafting and this is the result.  Think about it this way, if Houston came calling and said they want to trade you JJ Watt, but we want 4 players of our choice, can you think of ANY four players you wouldn't give them right now to make that deal?  I'm not so sure.  We are going to need a few good drafts in a row to make up for all the bad drafting that's been done as of late.

- The debate about Fitz/Geno has certainly driven post counts, but it's largely irrelevant.  They both aren't getting it done.  Earlier in the year, I said something supporting Fitzpatrick based on the fact that I thought his play was sub-par, but the team was winning, so you could not make the switch.  His play hasn't changed all that much, but the team is losing.  I'd be open to going with Geno, only because of youth and a better arm, but honestly, it doesn't really matter, because unless Petty takes a monster leap forward, there's still not a QB on this roster.  It's a wash, despite how much time people are investing in the debate.

- I agree with McCagnan, that this season's success is not measured in a playoff appearance.  However, this season unfortunately isn't hitting other metrics of success either, so that's a problem.  My biggest concern in that regard is what gives us something to be excited about for the future.  Sadly, Leonard Williams and Devin Smith are not producing or flashing in any meaningful way, and the most exciting player on this team, Brandon Marshall, won't be around by the time the team catches up, if it does.

- The biggest disappointment of the season is the defensive line.  The amount of money and draft equity locked up on this unit and they're not really winning the battle at the LOS consistently.  Hopefully Leonard Williams turns into a player, but it looks like we have another guy who can't get to the QB.  With the amount invested at this position, it should be a top of the league, foreboding unit, instead of 'above average' at best.

- Paying Cro was a mistake, but so was paying Revis.  I'm no Idzik supporter, and have said on numerous occasions that it was correct to fire him, but if you can't see the wisdom in some of his restraint, you're just being biased.  Revis is still a good CB, but he's not an elite anymore.  He never had the best physical tools, and as he gets older, we're seeing younger, more athletic guys, have their way with him.  If Cro wasn't so bad, Cooper would have destroyed him, and Hopkins made Revis look like a practice squad player.  He'll still make plays, but that's in large part due to him being challenged much more.  Interestingly, this is probably the first time we've been solid at safety in forever.

- Our WRs drop way too many passes... When your QB sucks, you can't get away with that.

- Our return game is non-existent, and this is a team that needs to win the field position battle.

its hard to argue with any of this. I will be in Houston late January. nice to know there is plenty of parking and good food:cool:

We don't have 4 combined players worthy of JJ Watt.  I mean seriously, give them Sheldon, Mo, Revis, and Williams and they're collectively still not worth Watt.  And that better be the party line when it comes to discussing the contracts for Mo and Sheldon.

Still, we lost this game because we lack the talent to be a consistently good team.

damn. truth hurts sometimes. feels like an 8-8 year/just a mediocre football team.

lol

Go Knicks...

Porzingis!!! 

Nice recap- thanks.

Thanks.  You've been talking a lot about the bad drafting as of late, and to me, that's the whole thing.

I consistently said Idzik deserved to be fired, but it had nothing to do w/ free agency and everything to do with the fact that he just totally missed on two straight drafts.  There's a ton of young offensive talent in this league right now and we have Ryan Fitzpatrick older WRs who aren't speed guys.

Thanks.  You've been talking a lot about the bad drafting as of late, and to me, that's the whole thing.

I consistently said Idzik deserved to be fired, but it had nothing to do w/ free agency and everything to do with the fact that he just totally missed on two straight drafts.  There's a ton of young offensive talent in this league right now and we have Ryan Fitzpatrick older WRs who aren't speed guys.

Nice post at this stage in his career, revis is not worth more than $8M. He is a shell of his former self. still very good but Lockdown no more.

Nice post at this stage in his career, revis is not worth more than $8M. He is a shell of his former self. still very good but Lockdown no more.

Completely agree.  Can't say Revis sucks.  Can't kill him for getting beat either.  But, he's simply not the player he used to be, and we're paying him as if he were.

That 60 Minutes came a few years too late.

Did you have good seats for the game?

That is one of the better stadiums in the league to watch a game.

Did you have good seats for the game?

That is one of the better stadiums in the league to watch a game.

Was a great place to see a game.  Sat on the Jets sideline, about 12 rows off the field, section between the 30/40.

Sat lower level corner for the Knicks Rockets too.  Also a nice stadium.

Texans fans are pretty tame too.

I cant believe that Yates beat the Jets.

They were fine.  Plenty of green.

Yates beatign the Jets is an oversimplification.  The Texans defense destroyed the Jets, and the Jets defense couldn't hold up with no help, IMO.

Harsh truth-

The debate about Fitz/Geno has certainly driven post counts, but it's largely irrelevant.  They both aren't getting it done.  Earlier in the year, I said something supporting Fitzpatrick based on the fact that I thought his play was sub-par, but the team was winning, so you could not make the switch.  His play hasn't changed all that much, but the team is losing.  I'd be open to going with Geno, only because of youth and a better arm, but honestly, it doesn't really matter, because unless Petty takes a monster leap forward, there's still not a QB on this roster.  It's a wash, despite how much time people are investing in the debate.

I actually loved Idzik's philosophy and think it is the way to build a team, but the flipside is that the drafts were horrific.

- In the box matrix of watching football, there's Exciting/Win, Boring/Win, Exciting/Lose, and Boring/Lose.  Sadly, the Jets fit into the Boring/Lose category.  -...

I fell asleep during the game.  First time ever.  Boring, try suffocating.

They won the battle at the line of scrimmage and Hopkins won his individual matchup.  

Good write up.   On Quentin Couples Day, I was wondering if you spent any time watching Clowney?  With Watt creating all the havoc he brings, you'd think Clowney would be more of a factor, yet he seemed nearly invisible out there most of the game.  I can't recall a college player being hyped more than him in the past few years...

I actually loved Idzik's philosophy and think it is the way to build a team, but the flipside is that the drafts were horrific.

Totally agree.  Didn't want to rev that debate up again though.  Lot of good all these expensive FAs have done for us...

Good write up.   On Quentin Couples Day, I was wondering if you spent any time watching Clowney?  With Watt creating all the havoc he brings, you'd think Clowney would be more of a factor, yet he seemed nearly invisible out there most of the game.  I can't recall a college player being hyped more than him in the past few years...

Not really.  I didn't get the most analytic take of the game, at least player by player.  And really, found myself mostly watching Watt in some mixture of awe and jealousy.

Not really.  I didn't get the most analytic take of the game, at least player by player.  And really, found myself mostly watching Watt in some mixture of awe and jealousy.

The dude is a beast.  My first time seeing him in person.  Fires up the crowd, makes plays.  Worth whatever they're paying him.

sorry you had to go to Texas to see that isht show... my take away was  a lot of dropped passes by our WRs... Decker should be tearing it up against #2 CBs asked to single cover him and when Fitz does go to him the ball bounces off his chest...

Nice post.  Thanks for sharing.

Disagree with the talent level on the team.  It's vastly improved from last season and is on par with any team in the league.  The D is filled with 1st and 2nd round talent and pro-bowl caliber players, yet they still suck something awful. That's on coaching if you ask me.  This is a guy who as supposedly the best in the biz at doing more with less. We're not seeing that. What I'm seeing is an under performing D.  We've got a great 1-2 punch with Marshall and Decker and a very capable slot WR that isnt used for some reason.  They're much more talented than the product we're seeing the field right now.  Much more.

Interesting game to pick on Williams.  He looked the best he has all season.  While he didnt get a sack, he was all over Yates and spent a great deal of time in their backfield on Sunday.  Devin Smith sucks.  I'll be shocked if he turns out to be a good player.

You may hate the party line of coming out flat but it is what it is.  This team comes out flat and starts slow, every damn game.  Every game.  Nothing changes.  They play uninspired Football, with no energy, no urgency and no passion.  You were close to sidelines, right?  How was demeanor of the team?  Did they seem like they cared they were getting blown out?  Because every time they flashed to the sidelines on the TV they were laughing it up having a great time getting embarrassed by TJ Yates. 

sorry you had to go to Texas to see that isht show... my take away was  a lot of dropped passes by our WRs... Decker should be tearing it up against #2 CBs asked to single cover him and when Fitz does go to him the ball bounces off his chest...

Meh... I got to see a Knicks win, eat some good BBQ, some good gourmet hot dogs, drink some local beers, and spend a weekend w/ my dad.  Total win, despite the game.

Decker continues to amaze with his ability to make circus catches and drop pitch-and-catch throws.

Nice post.  Thanks for sharing.

Disagree with the talent level on the team.  It's vastly improved from last season and is on par with any team in the league.  The D is filled with 1st and 2nd round talent and pro-bowl caliber players, yet they still suck something awful. That's on coaching if you ask me.  This is a guy who as supposedly the best in the biz at doing more with less. We're not seeing that. What I'm seeing is an under performing D.  We've got a great 1-2 punch with Marshall and Decker and a very capable slot WR that isnt used for some reason.  They're much more talented than the product we're seeing the field right now.  Much more.

Interesting game to pick on Williams.  He looked the best he has all season.  While he didnt get a sack, he was all over Yates and spent a great deal of time in their backfield on Sunday.  Devin Smith sucks.  I'll be shocked if he turns out to be a good player.

You may hate the party line of coming out flat but it is what it is.  This team comes out flat and starts slow, every damn game.  Every game.  Nothing changes.  They play uninspired Football, with no energy, no urgency and no passion.  You were close to sidelines, right?  How was demeanor of the team?  Did they seem like they cared they were getting blown out?  Because every time they flashed to the sidelines on the TV they were laughing it up having a great time getting embarrassed by TJ Yates. 

While the D is filled with first and second round talent, they're not playing to that level, and I don't think that's purely coaching.  I think some of these guys just aren't that good.  And, perhaps worst of all, despite all of this financial and draft equity, we don't have anyone who consistently gets after the QB.  Maybe I'm asking too much, but for a line with 3 1st rounders, two of which are high, and the other being the best player of the bunch, I'd hope they'd be more disruptive than this.  I'm "picking on" Williams, not specifically for his performance this game, and not even really specifically with him, but more my disappointment that we have another 1st rounder who appears more run-stuffer than pass-rusher.  That, and I suppose that for a luxury pick, I'd have liked to have seen more.

We do have talent at the WR position, but we don't have a QB who can consistently make use of that talent.  And without Devin "Ted Ginn" Smith we don't have much speed either.  On Sunday, our line was also not holding up, which is becoming an increasingly common issue.  So, while there is some talent overall, we're struggling to utilize it because of the big flaws on this team.  Beyond that, my other gripe deals with the drafting, and that while we may have guys like Decker/Marshall, we lack much in the way of young talent to be excited about.  Who's on this team today that's going to be a big contributor in a couple of years?  Hopefully Williams... Hopefully Calvin Pryor... Hopefully Richardson... That's about all the young talent we've got.  It's not enough IMO.

As for the demeanor... As I mentioned in the Coples thread, Cro was dancing to the music piped into the stadium while down 2 points... But, I guess in general, I don't think athletes care nearly as much as fans do.  But, I don't think that's an exclusively Jets issue.  I don't think that's because they're "unprepared" or anything of that nature though, and I don't think it's the reason they lost.  As I said, I think they lost because Revis couldn't stop Hopkins and no one could stop JJ Watt.  At the end of the game, we saw some urgency, and it led to Fitzpatrick staring down his WRs for back to back picks.  We've lost other games because we don't have speed at LB to cover running backs.  All the fire in the world isn't going to make Davis/Harris any faster.  

While the D is filled with first and second round talent, they're not playing to that level, and I don't think that's purely coaching.  I think some of these guys just aren't that good.  And, perhaps worst of all, despite all of this financial and draft equity, we don't have anyone who consistently gets after the QB.  Maybe I'm asking too much, but for a line with 3 1st rounders, two of which are high, and the other being the best player of the bunch, I'd hope they'd be more disruptive than this.  I'm "picking on" Williams, not specifically for his performance this game, and not even really specifically with him, but more my disappointment that we have another 1st rounder who appears more run-stuffer than pass-rusher.  That, and I suppose that for a luxury pick, I'd have liked to have seen more.

We do have talent at the WR position, but we don't have a QB who can consistently make use of that talent.  And without Devin "Ted Ginn" Smith we don't have much speed either.  On Sunday, our line was also not holding up, which is becoming an increasingly common issue.  So, while there is some talent overall, we're struggling to utilize it because of the big flaws on this team.  Beyond that, my other gripe deals with the drafting, and that while we may have guys like Decker/Marshall, we lack much in the way of young talent to be excited about.  Who's on this team today that's going to be a big contributor in a couple of years?  Hopefully Williams... Hopefully Calvin Pryor... Hopefully Richardson... That's about all the young talent we've got.  It's not enough IMO.

As for the demeanor... As I mentioned in the Coples thread, Cro was dancing to the music piped into the stadium while down 2 points... But, I guess in general, I don't think athletes care nearly as much as fans do.  But, I don't think that's an exclusively Jets issue.  I don't think that's because they're "unprepared" or anything of that nature though, and I don't think it's the reason they lost.  As I said, I think they lost because Revis couldn't stop Hopkins and no one could stop JJ Watt.  At the end of the game, we saw some urgency, and it led to Fitzpatrick staring down his WRs for back to back picks.  We've lost other games because we don't have speed at LB to cover running backs.  All the fire in the world isn't going to make Davis/Harris any faster.  

I think we're just going to disagree on the talent level.  It's very solid and I think if you did comparison to rosters around the league, we'd be right up there with anyone else. Definitely good enough to not be dropping 4 out of 5 games to sh*tty teams.  Struggling to use talent, is on coaching.  Every bill we were sold on Bowles and Gailey were that they can do a lot with a little, that they play the best players and cater to the strengths of the team.  We are seeing none of that.  None of that at all.

1 DE and 1 WR shouldnt be too much for a team as talented as the Jets to handle.  That's ridiculous.   Teams all around the league find ways to cover up their weaknesses, this team cant.  Why?  Its because they stick to their guns and "dont let teams dictate how they play".  Well, teams now know how the Jets play under Bowles and they've adjusted accordingly.  Now what do the Jets do about it?  

The answer isnt, just give up because we're just not good enough.  

I think we're just going to disagree on the talent level.  It's very solid and I think if you did comparison to rosters around the league, we'd be right up there with anyone else. Definitely good enough to not be dropping 4 out of 5 games to sh*tty teams.  Struggling to use talent, is on coaching.  Every bill we were sold on Bowles and Gailey were that they can do a lot with a little, that they play the best players and cater to the strengths of the team.  We are seeing none of that.  None of that at all.

1 DE and 1 WR shouldnt be too much for a team as talented as the Jets to handle.  That's ridiculous.   Teams all around the league find ways to cover up their weaknesses, this team cant.  Why?  Its because they stick to their guns and "dont let teams dictate how they play".  Well, teams now know how the Jets play under Bowles and they've adjusted accordingly.  Now what do the Jets do about it?  

The answer isnt, just give up because we're just not good enough.  

I'll change the track a bit... What do the Jets do well?

To me, there isn't an answer to that question.  We may have some nice players, but we don't do anything particularly well... So, when another team is doing what they do well to us, we have no counter-punch.  It's why we beat other bad teams who don't have particular strengths, but can't beat average to above average teams.

I'll change the track a bit... What do the Jets do well?

To me, there isn't an answer to that question.  We may have some nice players, but we don't do anything particularly well... So, when another team is doing what they do well to us, we have no counter-punch.  It's why we beat other bad teams who don't have particular strengths, but can't beat average to above average teams.

Nothing but again, if the team doesnt do one thing well, who's fault is that?  The talent is there.  

Archived