Quinton Coples Waived

Maxman

Yeah, I meant that if Bowles was cutting Coples to send a message, he has to also address Cromartie at the same time. Discipline only works when it's consistent. If Cro starts next week, they may as well have given Coples an extension.

depends if the issue is effort versus under performing.  I can see a guy cut on the spot for not giving effort, versus a guy that's just getting beat while giving effort.  I feel that's the difference.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people look at a pass rusher who runs 4.78ss 7.57c and jumps 31.5v 109b and see a player you probably should not take in the first round. Rex looks at him and sees a cornerback you should line up against Megatron. Coples was never going to be a great player but he got derped pretty hard here.

Ya it comes down to GM's drafting football players and not be sucked into workout results

Read something the other day that said the whole FO wanted Chandler Jones, Rex wanted Coples. Rest is history. Just hurts even more than we could also have Chandler Jones right now.

I totally read that they had a huge hard on for Bruce Irvin.  I guess when he was off the board, maybe that is where they fought Jones vs.Coples.

Completely botched pick. Coples as a 4-3 penetrating D-tackle showed flashes as a rookie only to never see that position ever again thanks to Rex and the draft pick of Sheldon. 

Poor job by Bowles to not utilize his talent - HE IS NOT AND NEVER HAS BEEN AN EDGE RUSHER. 

I'm not sure "edge rusher" is a starter under Rex or Bowles.  They seem to use bigger guys to set the edge.  Some guys can do both, and I sure agree Coples hasn't been, but he wasn't going to be a designated pass rusher here like Maybin

Seemed like a good dood.  too bad it didnt work out here for both him and the Jets having invested a 1st round pick.  That being said, i could see him being a solid player in a 4-3 for 6-7 years.  just my $0.02

maybe the message has been sent that you arent going to loaf in our org.  I could see us cutting another big name small production player soon.

Seemed like a good dood.  too bad it didnt work out here for both him and the Jets having invested a 1st round pick.  That being said, i could see him being a solid player in a 4-3 for 6-7 years.  just my $0.02

maybe the message has been sent that you arent going to loaf in our org.  I could see us cutting another big name small production player soon.

dood is short for doody

Coples is certainly far from terrible, but so far nothing more than average either.  OLB may have taken him a bit out of position, but it's also being used as more of an excuse than is valid.  Even when starting as supposed OLB, there were still plenty of his snaps where he was playing with his hand in the dirt, with his new position being only in name.  That's not to say that he couldn't find a better fit with another team using a different scheme, and he's certainly not going to be run out of the league, but there's also been no hints of greatness and he wasn't worth the money he would be due next year.

Playing out of position. Wait and see. 

So, who's signed him yet?  I mean, a guy that you and ylekram felt played just as well on DL as Wilkerson (filled in nicely with no drop in play according to ylekram).  Put in a waiver claim and get some supposed stud DLineman for 8m next year?  Teams should be lined out the door.   

Coples is certainly far from terrible, but so far nothing more than average either.  OLB may have taken him a bit out of position, but it's also being used as more of an excuse than is valid.  Even when starting as supposed OLB, there were still plenty of his snaps where he was playing with his hand in the dirt, with his new position being only in name.  That's not to say that he couldn't find a better fit with another team using a different scheme, and he's certainly not going to be run out of the league, but there's also been no hints of greatness and he wasn't worth the money he would be due next year.

If they cut him because he is a dog he might be run out of the league.  If they cut him because they were scared he would get hurt and they would be on the hook for $7M next year, he'll probably be around for quite some time.  Either is plausible.  There are a bunch of plays where people are standing around and he is one of them.  Not exactly a motor guy and Catapano and Mauldin certainly are.

So, who's signed him yet?  I mean, a guy that you and ylekram felt played just as well on DL as Wilkerson (filled in nicely with no drop in play according to ylekram).  Put in a waiver claim and get some supposed stud DLineman for 8m next year?  Teams should be lined out the door.   

The waiver process is supposed to take place at some point today. I'd bet someone claimed him.

Playing out of position. Wait and see. 

The waiver process is supposed to take place at some point today. I'd bet someone claimed him.

the dolphins claimed him. snell, sorry to break the news to you in mid gloat:lol:

It is a good thing that Coples doesn't know anything about our defensive scheme.  That would really suck going up against Miami this week.  

It would have been nice to know that he didn't have a role on the team, you know, a couple of weeks ago when we could have tried trading him.  

It is a good thing that Coples doesn't know anything about our defensive scheme.  That would really suck going up against Miami this week.  

It would have been nice to know that he didn't have a role on the team, you know, a couple of weeks ago when we could have tried trading him.  

No one would have traded for him with his salary

Archived