Quinton Coples Waived

Maxman

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just not true. but it keeps getting repeated as fact. when playing d-line, he has shown something. when playing olb, he shows nothing. who's fault is this?

Coples was NOT an OLB.  Do you make Ivory a LB, do you make Mangold a RB, do you make Geno a QB? NO.  Coples was a DE. Period. If they didn't want him on the DL, they should have just traded him instead of forcing him into a position that just didn't fit his skill set. 

Coples was NOT an OLB.  Do you make Ivory a LB, do you make Mangold a RB, do you make Geno a QB? NO.  Coples was a DE. Period. If they didn't want him on the DL, they should have just traded him instead of forcing him into a position that just didn't fit his skill set. 

like I said earlier, let see how Wilkerson and Richardson would do playing olb

when playing d-line, how so? at the end of the day, coples plays well on the d-line and sucks as an olb. how is this on the player as opposed to the coaching staff?

He's a scrub who disappeared for too many stretches of the game and he had trouble playing the run. 

He unfortunately is what he was said to be, an athlete with no motor.  

just not true. but it keeps getting repeated as fact. when playing d-line, he has shown something. when playing olb, he shows nothing. who's fault is this?

Maybe, but at this point it is what it is;  Coples was stuck at LB for the same reason he was moved there; they have depth at DL, but not LB.  Once he lost the weight, he was no longer as strong at DL, so it became a trap.  You can't blame Coples, but you can't blame Mac (can't rebuild the whole team in one year) or Bowels.  It is what it is.

Coples does have to bear responsibility for the taking plays off rap as well.

Either way, we still have depth at DL, and Coples is too expensive to keep (playing this way at LB and at to have him put on weight again).  The trade deadline is over so we can't trade him; and with all of the free agent signings, we weren't going to get a compensator pick for him anyway.  Time to start cleaning house ...

Coples is a 4-3 DT. He's not an edge player at all. He's a decent athlete on the interior...below average on the edge.

He's a scrub who disappeared for too many stretches of the game and he had trouble playing the run. 

He unfortunately is what he was said to be, an athlete with no motor.  

meh, he played the run fine on the line and basically set the edge fine as an olb. don't know what you are watching. classic case of comparing apples to oranges. coples playing d-line = apples. coples playing olb = oranges.

Like I said earlier, what is the message when you cut someone who doesn't play and was never productive?  We are stuck on the fact that he was a high draft pick years ago but in the scheme of things him being cut  is about the same as if we cut Bowen. Bowen who???   EXACTLY  Someone that has had no impact on this team other than practice.

Has nothing to do with it.  You honestly think they are going to cut every player who is nonproductive?

Or that the 16th pick in the draft getting cut with time on his contract doesn't send a message?  There are a lot of FOs that have done this in the past and it will happen again.

Bowles is FOS. This is a move to give the team a message. They probably thought Coples was slacking off and they wanted to make an example of him. Kind of surprised they couldn't get anything for him but I imagine they tried. I always thought the guy had talent but since the new regime came aboard they haven't liked what they saw out of him. I doubt he lasts long enough for Rex to grab him. But sometimes when a guy has a bad rap in the NFL word spreads and the guy is out and can't get a job. I don't think it's a good move unless it works in terms of motivating these players. They didn't come to play yesterday. And not the first time either.

Maybe, but at this point it is what it is;  Coples was stuck at LB for the same reason he was moved there; they have depth at DL, but not LB.  Once he lost the weight, he was no longer as strong at DL, so it became a trap.  You can't blame Coples, but you can't blame Mac (can't rebuild the whole team in one year) or Bowels.  It is what it is.

Coples does have to bear responsibility for the taking plays off rap as well.

Either way, we still have depth at DL, and Coples is too expensive to keep (playing this way at LB and at to have him put on weight again).  The trade deadline is over so we can't trade him; and with all of the free agent signings, we weren't going to get a compensator pick for him anyway.  Time to start cleaning house ...

that's kind of my point. it should have never been allowed to get to this point. I can blame bowles for not seeing what a casual fan can see. I can blame mac for cutting an asset. sperm had made a point of an injury occurring and that would put the jets on the hook for money next year. but I am not buying it. either something happened that we don't know about yet, or the 2 newbz decided to make an ill advised statement.

Coples is a 4-3 DT. He's not an edge player at all. He's a decent athlete on the interior...below average on the edge.

I don't think he has the size to play inside in a 4-3 in the NFL, in college yes but he's really the definition of a tweener with no natural position

that's kind of my point. it should have never been allowed to get to this point. I can blame bowles for not seeing what a casual fan can see. I can blame mac for cutting an asset. sperm had made a point of an injury occurring and that would put the jets on the hook for money next year. but I am not buying it. either something happened that we don't know about yet, or the 2 newbz decided to make an ill advised statement.

Sorry, but at this point, the jets are still loaded at DL and light at LB; also, he has lost the weight and isn't as productive at the line anymore.  You don't pay a guy 7 million to be okay.  You don't risk having to pay him next year.  He is like Geno - they inherited the problem and were unable to fix it.  Time to move on.  They weren't going to be able to trade him at that pice and would have released him anyway.

And so the "tear it down and rebuild" begins...first throw out the trash, second pawn off the valuables for some new prospects.

Thinking this might be our last 500 type season for a couple years.

goodbye Q! Thanks for those half dozen earth shattering close line hits these past few years. Nothing worse than wasted talent. 

sure, but he wasn't getting them even when coples didn't play at all

I remember some guy defending Gholston up and down the forum, saying he would rip it up in a 4-3 in CHI.  Then I remember some other guy telling how Hill was going to start torching it in Jax.  Man I even remember how Victor Hobson was gonna destroy us on the Pats.  They're all out of the league now.  Pretty much where Coples is headed. 

I remember some guy defending Gholston up and down the forum, saying he would rip it up in a 4-3 in CHI.  Then I remember some other guy telling how Hill was going to start torching it in Jax.  Man I even remember how Victor Hobson was gonna destroy us on the Pats.  They're all out of the league now.  Pretty much where Coples is headed. 

We've become very good at using picks and even relatively high picks on players who end up being out of football within 3 years. 

once again, you ignore coples play on the d-line and justify your stance with his play at olb

meh, he played the run fine on the line and basically set the edge fine as an olb. don't know what you are watching. classic case of comparing apples to oranges. coples playing d-line = apples. coples playing olb = oranges.

im watching I guy who's play took him out of the rotation and led to his release.  I don't know who you watched.  Coples isn't a good enough player to see time or earn the money he would be paid.

youre the only one who likes him here and the coaches and FO agree.  Not wirrh arguing 

Sorry, but at this point, the jets are still loaded at DL and light at LB; also, he has lost the weight and isn't as productive at the line anymore.  You don't pay a guy 7 million to be okay.  You don't risk having to pay him next year.  He is like Geno - they inherited the problem and were unable to fix it.  Time to move on.  They weren't going to be able to trade him at that pice and would have released him anyway.

ya still loaded at d-line. 2 guys are looking for big paydays and the 3rd seems to find himself in trouble. they have real problems getting pressure on the qb. they inherited a problem and DIDNT BOTHER to fix it. they screwed coples the minute they took over and kept him at olb, regardless if they were loaded at one and light on the other. seems like the same rational thinking rex used. an asset literally thrown into the garbage

im watching I guy who's play took him out of the rotation and led to his release.  I don't know who you watched.  Coples isn't a good enough player to see time or earn the money he would be paid

like I told the other guy. you ignore his play on the d-line and justify your response with his play at olb

ya still loaded at d-line. 2 guys are looking for big paydays and the 3rd seems to find himself in trouble. they have real problems getting pressure on the qb. they inherited a problem and DIDNT BOTHER to fix it. they screwed coples the minute they took over and kept him at olb, regardless if they were loaded at one and light on the other. seems like the same rational thinking rex used. an asset literally thrown into the garbage

an asset that has depreciated to the point where it wasn't worth salvaging.  they don't want big slow lbs, but that's what they inherited.  they want guys like mauldin off the edge, and guys better than him off the edge.  they just couldn't shop for everything in one offseason.

Archived