The Meltdown of '15

drdetroit

2008: 8-3 finish 1-4...its approaching that level because even that team didnt defy the odds of starting 4-1 and not making the playoffs.  They started 2-2 and got hot middle of the season.  At least that year, Favre got injured.  This season doesnt have a scapegoat other than incompetence. 

2000: that was the worst.  We're not their yet.  Started off 6-1 that season only to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs. 

2000, 2015, 2008 - that would be my order. 

Not very high at all.

If you looked at this team very objectively at the start of the season this is what should have been observed:

- No viable good starting QB

- Defense that should be really really good to dominating.

- More weapons on O but still no good change of pace back and no TE to speak of.

- Awful special teams other than the FG kicker.

Thus:  A team that should be able to be around 500 or better if things go right and a team that you hope gets into or stays in playoff contention into the last few games.  The fact that the team went 4-1 in it's 1st five games did nothing to really change the overall outlook.

If the team goes 1-5 or something down the stretch then melt down would be more accurate.

2008: 8-3 finish 1-4...its approaching that level because even that team didnt defy the odds of starting 4-1 and not making the playoffs.  They started 2-2 and got hot middle of the season.  At least that year, Favre got injured.  This season doesnt have a scapegoat other than incompetence. 

2000: that was the worst.  We're not their yet.  Started off 6-1 that season only to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs. 

Don't forget about 2011. We were 8-5 and finished 8-8. 

Not very high at all.

If you looked at this team very objectively at the start of the season this is what should have been observed:

- No viable good starting QB

- Defense that should be really really good to dominating.

- More weapons on O but still no good change of pace back and no TE to speak of.

- Awful special teams other than the FG kicker.

Thus:  A team that should be able to be around 500 or better if things go right and a team that you hope gets into or stays in playoff contention into the last few games.  The fact that the team went 4-1 in it's 1st five games did nothing to really change the overall outlook.

If the team goes 1-5 or something down the stretch then melt down would be more accurate.

Pretty much all of this. I don't know how to respond to people who thought this was anything more than an 8 win team.

2008 didn't turn when favre supposedly got injured, he was playing like that most of the year.

2000 was the worst: you can't miss the playoffs starting 6-1 and then being 9-4 needing 1 win the final 3 weeks.

1993 was awful

1994 was awful

1997 was awful

This isn't a meltdown.  This is an 8-8 team in the process of going 8-8. 

What's got some all in a tizz is the sequencing.  Back in the Summer, most predicted we'd come out of the gate 2-3 as the Colts, Eagles, and Dolphins were all thought to be elite teams in 2015.  So when we came out at 4-1 and took the Patriots to the 2-minute warning it looked like this team could be something special, thoughts of Vinny Testaverde 2.0 dancing in our heads.

If you sit back now and look to September objectively you see that we had a cupcake schedule, and if you layer into that the injuries to our razor-thin roster it makes complete sense why we are where we are.  It's not like we have Brett Favre in the house laying 60 on the Cardinals.  It's not like we have a defense and running game coming off of back-to-back AFC Championships.  This is a rebuilding team with a rookie head coach that did it's job early but couldn't withstand offensive injuries to this extent mixed with a Rex Ryan defense still programmed for laziness and complacency.

It's Year 1 of a Maccagnan rebuild.  We'll take 8-8 after 4-12 last year.  That's a great season no matter the sequencing that to some make this look like a collapse.

SAR I

This isn't a meltdown.  This is an 8-8 team in the process of going 8-8. 

What's got some all in a tizz is the sequencing.  Back in the Summer, most predicted we'd come out of the gate 2-3 as the Colts, Eagles, and Dolphins were all thought to be elite teams in 2015.  So when we came out at 4-1 and took the Patriots to the 2-minute warning it looked like this team could be something special, thoughts of Vinny Testaverde 2.0 dancing in our heads.

If you sit back now and look to September objectively you see that we had a cupcake schedule, and if you layer into that the injuries to our razor-thin roster it makes complete sense why we are where we are.  It's not like we have Brett Favre in the house laying 60 on the Cardinals.  It's not like we have a defense and running game coming off of back-to-back AFC Championships.  This is a rebuilding team with a rookie head coach that did it's job early but couldn't withstand offensive injuries to this extent mixed with a Rex Ryan defense still programmed for laziness and complacency.

It's Year 1 of a Maccagnan rebuild.  We'll take 8-8 after 4-12 last year.  That's a great season no matter the sequencing that to some make this look like a collapse.

SAR I

Agree 100% with the above. Everyone was labelling the Texans a scrub team, mostly based on their 1-4 start, now after going 4-1 in their last 5, they have the same record as us. Yet they feel a lot better and look a lot better because they have upwards momentum, whereas we seem to be spiralling downwards.

Let's see where we are after the last 6 games before judging this a "collapse".

2011 was far, far worse. We were 8-5, coming off back to back AFCC games, and were told this was our best team yet by our HC. We lost the final 3 games, the Holmes incident, and the franchise has never recovered. 

2000 was bad, but I felt that team got very lucky to get off to the start they had with good bounces and a favorable early schedule.

2008 brutal, Favre happened

1994 was really bad, and led to Kotite

1986....... UGH

I think its tough to talk about a collapse with a team coming off a 4-12 season. If they go 5-11, it will be really bad, and could get the coach fired, but its a bit premature, and lets not lose site of where the team was last year when talking of any collapse.

2011 was far, far worse. We were 8-5, coming off back to back AFCC games, and were told this was our best team yet by our HC. We lost the final 3 games, the Holmes incident, and the franchise has never recovered. 

2000 was bad, but I felt that team got very lucky to get off to the start they had with good bounces and a favorable early schedule.

1986....... UGH

I think its tough to talk about a collapse with a team coming off a 4-12 season. If they go 5-11, it will be really bad, and could get the coach fired, but its a bit premature, and lets not lose site of where the team was last year when talking of any collapse.

2011 was also bad and made worse by the Giants winning in large part thanks to us w/ that damn 99 yd TD that changed that game and the seasons for both teams.

1986 was awful but at least we still made the playoffs then, of course, we collapsed in the div rd w/ a 10 pt lead late.

Kotite was actually good for us in the long run, if we weren't as awful as he helped us become then Hess keeps recycling the next up and coming coaches and we never get BP and turn the franchise around.

1986....... UGH

last year has nothing to do w/ this year, last year we had little talent while this year we have playoff talent.

A CB and a WR take us from little talent to playoff talent?

pretty much, that and a pro QB.  Do you remember how bad our secondary was a year ago?  we had no chance w/ them.  having actual weapons on O makes a huge difference.  we have a DL that is among the leagues most talented.  this team should be a playoff team w/ the talent we have.

last year has nothing to do w/ this year, last year we had little talent while this year we have playoff talent.

Stop.

Bringing back two slower and older members of the 2009 secondary six years later and adding a journeyman WR and a career backup quarterback making his 10th stop is not "playoff talent".

The 2015 Jets had 8-8 talent and that's what we'd have accomplished if we stayed healthy.  Couple of lucky bounces, could have gone 10-6.  Couple of injuries to key players, could go 7-9.

SAR I

Stop.

Bringing back two slower and older members of the 2009 secondary six years later and adding a journeyman WR and a career backup quarterback making his 10th stop is not "playoff talent".

The 2015 Jets had 8-8 talent and that's what we'd have accomplished if we stayed healthy.  Couple of lucky bounces, could have gone 10-6.  Couple of injuries to key players, could go 7-9.

SAR I

Revis was still the best corner in the game coming into this season, he may not have been revis '09 or '10(after he got healthy) but he's still damn good and Cro was good for Ari last year.  both gave us HUGE upgrades over last year, Skrine also gave us a huge upgrade.  he was now our #3 and better than anyone we had the last couple of years.

the career backup QB has played pretty well for us.

the AFC is not that difficult, we have more than enough to be a serious playoff contender.

Agree 100% with the above. Everyone was labelling the Texans a scrub team, mostly based on their 1-4 start, now after going 4-1 in their last 5, they have the same record as us. Yet they feel a lot better and look a lot better because they have upwards momentum, whereas we seem to be spiralling downwards.

Let's see where we are after the last 6 games before judging this a "collapse".

In order for us go to from 6-10 to 10-6 this year we needed a great running game, solid quarterback play, and a healthy roster.  That's what's changed here unfortunately.  Rebuilding teams with expensive rosters have this problem; they're razor-thin at key spots and can't sustain with guys out for the season or playing at 60% due to injuries or off-field troubles.  Ivory, Decker, Marshall, Mangold, Pryor, Owusu, RIchardson, Cromartie, and Fitzpatrick all not at full speed.  Colon, Stacy, and Folk done for the year.  Revis concussed. 

I don't care if we end the year 0-6 at this point so long as I see some effort.  Mailing it in and showing no sense of urgency or heart is what's killing me right now.  I need to end this season believing that Maccagnan is a good GM and Bowles is a good HC.  If our roster is full of stoners and our head coach isn't the disciplinarian we thought, that's a step back we cannot afford.

SAR I

pretty much, that and a pro QB.  Do you remember how bad our secondary was a year ago?  we had no chance w/ them.  having actual weapons on O makes a huge difference.  we have a DL that is among the leagues most talented.  this team should be a playoff team w/ the talent we have.

So the roster was so bad last year, that Rex was justified in going 4-12, then we replaced a very talented nutcase WR with a taller very talented WR who has also been a nutcase, and has been injured this year, we got a good CB, and a QB who you think is equal if not worse than the one who started last year, and that justifies going from 4-12 to at least 10-6, which is what it will take to be in the playoffs??

I know you heart Rex, but do you really believe that, or are you trolling?

Revis was still the best corner in the game coming into this season, he may not have been revis '09 or '10(after he got healthy) but he's still damn good and Cro was good for Ari last year.  both gave us HUGE upgrades over last year, Skrine also gave us a huge upgrade.  he was now our #3 and better than anyone we had the last couple of years.

the career backup QB has played pretty well for us.

the AFC is not that difficult, we have more than enough to be a serious playoff contender.

Cro has not been better than anyone, and Revis is not still the best corner in the game. 

Its funny how in THIS argument, Fitz has played pretty well, but in other arguments, he is basically Geno......

Stop.

SAR I

If we go 5-11 does Bowles still have his job.

So the roster was so bad last year, that Rex was justified in going 4-12, then we replaced a very talented nutcase WR with a taller very talented WR who has also been a nutcase, and has been injured this year, we got a good CB, and a QB who you think is equal if not worse than the one who started last year, and that justifies going from 4-12 to at least 10-6, which is what it will take to be in the playoffs??

I know you heart Rex, but do you really believe that, or are you trolling?

the roster was poorly constructed in 2014, you disagree w/ that?  what does Holmes, who last played for us in 2013, have to do w/ anything?  That nutcase WR we got was the best WR we have had since Keyshawn.  We got an all time great CB(if not the all time greatest and the greatest player in jets history) along w/ another good CB.  the QB I didn't think much of other than quality backup when we got him but he's played at a much higher level than I thought possible.  This team in this watered down league has a playoff roster.

Cro has not been better than anyone, and Revis is not still the best corner in the game. 

Its funny how in THIS argument, Fitz has played pretty well, but in other arguments, he is basically Geno......

I said coming into the season revis was still the best, he has slipped but is still one of the best. Cro struggling is still better than anyone we had last year.

I was critical of Fitz early in the season, he has played really well for the most part since the Wash game.

Archived