Is Mac over his head? MMMaybe

Powpow

We start 4-1 and many see Mac as the best thing since Pop Tarts.  We are now 5-5.  Is the truth surfacing? Is Mac (and Bowles) over their head?  Was it smart to spend zillions on an overaged, make shift secondary?  Was it smart to use a No.1 pick on another DLineman when DL was this team's strength?  Was it smart to not get a better option at QB other than Fitzy when you have the combustible Geno as your starter?  Was it smart to sign Revis to ALL that money knowing he is getting older fast and Cro having a history of being scorched? Was it smart to draft a wr in round 2 that showed nothing more than vertical speed in college and never ran another route in his life?  Was it smart signing Harris to a ALL that money?  The answer is a resounding NO.  I was totally against Revis and Harris signing for billions, bringing back Cro and giving Gilchrist all that money as well. Skrine I could see.  Relying on Smith to be your starting QB? Stupid. Signing Fitz as a back up plan wasn't exactly genius either.  Still, not much choice in the matter BUT he has to address this for 2016.  Petty is not even close to ready.  And the prior draft looks rather pedestrian.  I was hoping they would have taken Todd Gurrely. Risk aside, if it didn't pay off, so be it. But, if you hit on it, then you get the best RB the NFL has seen since AD (Peterson). Of course, Williams is a potential beast, but we needed offense.  Round 2 - Devin Smith - OMG this kid is nothing more than the reincarnation of Ted Ginn w/o the ability to return kicks or catch and occasional ball. What a waste.  Mauldin has been a nice find. Petty was worth the gamble.  Anyways, this mess falls squarely on Bowles and Mac, who I believe are both over their heads in their roles.             

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm reserving my judgement of this regime - for now.  Seeing what they've done with the team they inherited and with what was available to them I don't think its as bad as you make it sound - what were the alternatives to your complaints above? Instead of resigning harris who would we have signed? Who instead of revis and Cro? And instead of smith and fitz who would you have gotten QB?

I tend to think sending a #5 to the bears for marshall and a 7th and then using that 7th to get fitz here at reasonable price was a decent move, especially looking at what else was available… I mean its not like there were a ton of amazing players available that we chose not to sign.  

The QB position. None of the other warts you mentioned would even be noticed if we had one.

That said, who exactly was there to get at QB this offseason? Can't say I can put too much blame on Mac right now. Not upset at all with the Williams pick considering it's time to let an extraordinarily overrated Wilkerson walk and we may see the end of Richardson prematurely. He was the best player available.  

We start 4-1 and many see Mac as the best thing since Pop Tarts.  We are now 5-5.  Is the truth surfacing? Is Mac (and Bowles) over their head?  Was it smart to spend zillions on an overaged, make shift secondary?  Was it smart to use a No.1 pick on another DLineman when DL was this team's strength?  Was it smart to not get a better option at QB other than Fitzy when you have the combustible Geno as your starter?  Was it smart to sign Revis to ALL that money knowing he is getting older fast and Cro having a history of being scorched? Was it smart to draft a wr in round 2 that showed nothing more than vertical speed in college and never ran another route in his life?  Was it smart signing Harris to a ALL that money?  The answer is a resounding NO.  I was totally against Revis and Harris signing for billions, bringing back Cro and giving Gilchrist all that money as well. Skrine I could see.  Relying on Smith to be your starting QB? Stupid. Signing Fitz as a back up plan wasn't exactly genius either.  Still, not much choice in the matter BUT he has to address this for 2016.  Petty is not even close to ready.  And the prior draft looks rather pedestrian.  I was hoping they would have taken Todd Gurrely. Risk aside, if it didn't pay off, so be it. But, if you hit on it, then you get the best RB the NFL has seen since AD (Peterson). Of course, Williams is a potential beast, but we needed offense.  Round 2 - Devin Smith - OMG this kid is nothing more than the reincarnation of Ted Ginn w/o the ability to return kicks or catch and occasional ball. What a waste.  Mauldin has been a nice find. Petty was worth the gamble.  Anyways, this mess falls squarely on Bowles and Mac, who I believe are both over their heads in their roles.             

we all wanted bowles/mac to come in and make all the right moves. they are both rookies and are prone to rookie mistakes. not all of bowles/mac moves have been bad. there was a lot of good,too. we as jets fans have to move forward with cautious optimism. if they learn from their mistakes, we are in good hands. if not, back to the drawing board

I think its too early to give up on Mac.  This team is underachieving IMO.  They're much more talented than what we've seen the last 5 weeks.  Much more.  Besides, you cant judge a GM on one offseason and one draft.  This team had probably the worst talent level in the league next to the Jags coming into the season.  Mac fixed that, big time in FA and I think he found a couple of gems in the draft in Williams and Maudlin.

Bowles on the other hand, definitely looks in way over his head.  He's a lost puppy out there with no clue how to manage the personnel on the team and makes some of the worst in game decisions I've ever seen.  He's bull headed and stubborn showing no willingness to make adjustments.  Not good signs for the future, unfortunately. 

10 games into the first year is not the time to be making judgments on anyone. I know society is all about the what can you do for me now immediacy, but great teams aren't built in one offseason. Questioning any type of money being thrown around is silly. The Jets had to spend the money by the rule, and did a decent job at it. I'm not sure what else they could have done that much differently. 

I think what this year has shown is that the roster was just terrible and in need of a complete overhaul.  While we had a lot of cap space and made some nice moves to keep this team competitive, the reality is you can't fix 6 years of bad drafting and personnel decisions in 1 year.  Not making excuses for this regime but I'm trying to be fair.  The moves made in the offseason were short term band aid moves to appease the fans for 4 terrible years of football, a sustainable winning team needs to be built through the draft with complimentary free agents.  Unfortunately, that's going to take some time.

Lol SOJ fans. The Jets won 4 games last year. Mac and TB had one draft. It's going to take a while to undo the Rex, Idzik, and Rex and Trader Mike magic.

Unfortunately we've seen the ceiling of Fitz, a banged up Oline, Ivory, Marshall, and no Tight End all adds up to SOJ.

Look we fired a GM after only two seasons. And despite his inadequacies some of the players he acquired are starting to come around (like Pryor). IMO you have to give Mac three seasons to build a franchise and for his drafts to kick in. If the Jets fire people every year or two then what we've heard in the past like when Woody couldn't get his top choices after 2012 to take the GMs job is true. That the Jets job is one of the worst in the NFL (because of the owner). We're already seeing that the big push to overpay cornerbacks (instead of to rebuild the secondary) isn't really working out. There is no way that Revis is a 16 mil a year player. And Cro who deserved to be cut after 2013 is way overpaid. Personally I blame both of those signings on Woody. I don't believe that it was Mac's call. Let Woody bud out and let Mac do his job. As for the fans let's get a little rational for a change and not want to fire people every two minutes. And this includes Bowles who is a rookie HC. The team is 5-5 and that's pretty much what the talent level of the Jets is. We were 4-12 last season. 

We now have a professional scouting department.  Before we had Terry Bradway scouting from his living room in his bathrobe reading PFF reports...

Bradway basically having a lifetime contract killed this franchise...Woody is obviously the biggest problem(as he's clueless when it comes to football and probably everything) but Bradway ran the scouting dept for upwards of 15 years. Look at the drafts- we've been consistently terrible at drafting. Maccagnan thankfully let him go. The 2016 draft is where we hopefully see a new philosophy on how we evaluate talent.

I don't know if it's SOJ or SOJ fans.  A rebuild takes time...SOJ fans aren't patient, so I see a lot of that.  Only an idiot thinks we go from 4-12 to championship game contenders.  Were there some buffoons thinkING 12-4 with Ryan Fitz "never won more than 6 games in a season" Patrick?

There was an entire chat board that did think we were going 12-4 with Fitzpatrick that kicked you off if you didn't agree with that.  Even that site is shut down these days.

Fans should be evaluating their expectations as much as the organization right now.  We had the #6 pick for a reason.

I was too bored to simply reply to this thread, so I spent 5 minutes and did some digging..

From a May 2nd PowPow post:

UH what?  Williams is considered a cant miss prospect, best player in the draft, in the fold of Deacon Jones HOF. That alone is mind boggling that he fell to us at #6.  Devin Smith could be the next Desean Jackson, kid is smoking fast. Mauldin is a beast, strong, good pass rusher and a good fit for us, fills a huge need.  If Petty can reach his potential, this draft could easily be the best Jet draft ever.  On top of that, we added Marshall for a 5th, traded a 7th for a productive RB in Stacey.  Also, could get a steal in guard Harrison in the 5th.  Some people are just hard to please.  

I was too bored to simply reply to this thread, so I spent 5 minutes and did some digging..

From a May 2nd PowPow post:

Ouch. That pretty much puts this thread to sleep. I will say that nothing annoys me more than when posters wait until some player has a breakout year and then says, "I wanted him all the time." Due to his injury Gurley was a high risk/high ceiling player. Taking him at 6 would have been very high stakes gambling for the Jets, given that the near consensus #1  player on the board was still there. But at least Gurley was available. There are some boneheads here who are still crowing that we should have taken Cooper, who was already gone.

I don't get it at all!!

What did some of us think that Mac was going to run in here put some crazy glue on the team and we were going to go from practically being an unprofessional team at times last year to playoff favorites and potential SB contenders?

Come on now!!!!

When we were 4-12 in 05 and 07 were we unprofessional??

Archived