Anybody Else Getting Sick Of The NFL?

SoFlaJets

and the game of football as it's being played nowadays? I don't know, but all I 'DO' know is that I just don't get the enjoyment out of it like I used to ya know? If it weren't for my wife who uses it as an impetus to get conversations going with our son, I swear the games wouldn't even be on the TV in side of the apartment.

Do you realize that this team over the last 5 years has won only 31 games, which means it has been averaging 6 wins a year, and which ALSO means it's been losing 10 games a year and let's face it boys-that ain't no fun to watch.

Look, I love this team just as much as the rest of y'all but this is ridiculous and nothing ever seems to change, the same issues continually rear their ugly head, regardless of who is running the team and who isn't. It always seems to start with lousy QB play, and then inevitable injuries abounding at all the most critical areas costing guys their jobs. One year it's the coach, then the OC , then the rest of the coaches, then the GM and the coach. Then Johnson gets mad enough and brings in a new regime which looks good at first and then the same old Jets bad luck and horrible drafting rears it's ugly head again prompting the calls for another new regime, wash, rinse, and repeat. 

I'm not even going to get into mentioning our biggest rivals and their situations compared to ours. I don't know maybe I should count my blessings and say to myself "hey at least once in your life, you had a chance to see what a Jets World Championship looks like. All I can tell you guys is IT WAS GREAT, unlike any other New York sports team's title run. So before the same usual jerkolfs start in on me, I just want to say, this isn't whining, this is simply calling 'em as I see 'em and lastly... 

I have resigned myself to the simple fact that The New York Jets under the ownership of one Robert Wood Johnson will never win an NFL Championship 

This has been long over due. I've been waiting figuring it could be to far away and here are!!!  The yearly SoFlaJets, woe is me and my life as a Jets fan thread has arrived!

To answer you question:

Saturdays >>>>>> Sundays

Sounds like a guy who college team is over achieving.  As I get older I just find myself not caring so much about anything other than time with family and friends.  By friends Im including the food my wife makes on Sundays so as long as my "friends" show up I still enjoy watching the Jets.  Could not do it without my "friends" 

Sounds like a guy who college team is over achieving.  As I get older I just find myself not caring so much about anything other than time with family and friends.  By friends Im including the food my wife makes on Sundays so as long as my "friends" show up I still enjoy watching the Jets.  Could noy do it without my "friends" 

haha - for sure.  The Gators surprise season is making me enjoy Saturdays much more than Sundays.  Neither of my teams know how to play offense to save their lives which is super frustrating but at least the Gators keep it exciting and win in the end.  Coach Mac is the man!!!

But in general, I find myself much more interested in college Football than the NFL these days.  The NFL is a top heavy, boring and predictable league.  A bunch of teams playing for 2nd.  The college Football landscape is crazy.  Who the **** knows who's getting in the playoffs let alone winning it all.

Is there any mystery with the NFL?  None. Zero. Zilch.  Hand the Pats the trophy and end it already. 

I wonder how much is due to the jets being crappy vs the sport becoming more crappy.  It's hard to say but I think the latter has more to do with it.   Sometimes I'll click on old YouTube games and I still find them to be interesting.  The current NFL has become far too arena football-like.  Plus nowadays everything is like an ad for the military (flyovers, salute to service, camo jerseys, homage to a soldier back from wherever we're fighting these senseless wars, etc) or for some cause (breast cancer awareness).  Else we get guys like Bob Costas ramming their politics down our throat (gun control).  

In the old days it was about football, not the other stuff.  Plus the running game and defense meant a lot more (and kickoff returns weren't essentially phased out).  Today it's mainly about 1 player (the QB) and defenses aren't allowed to breathe on offensive players. It's just a different sport.  I also think today's announcers are nowhere near as good as from the 80's.  No more Dick Enberg, Charlie Jones, Pat Summerall, Tom Brookshier, John Madden (who eventually got stale), Don Criqui, Vin Scully, Merlin Olsen, Marv Albert, Howard Cosell, etc.  

haha - for sure.  The Gators surprise season is making me enjoy Saturdays much more than Sundays.  Neither of my teams know how to play offense to save their lives which is super frustrating but at least the Gators keep it exciting and win in the end.  Coach Mac is the man!!!

But in general, I find myself much more interested in college Football than the NFL these days.  The NFL is a top heavy, boring and predictable league.  A bunch of teams playing for 2nd.  The college Football landscape is crazy.  Who the **** knows who's getting in the playoffs let alone winning it all.

Is there any mystery with the NFL?  None. Zero. Zilch.  Hand the Pats the trophy and end it already. 

Might as well rename the league to the National Cheaters League, or the GKL - Goodell and Kraft League 

Well I personally have one very big bright point football wise, being from Canada.  My home team the Edmonton Eskimos bitch slapped our big rival Calgary this past Sunday in the Western Final and we are now playing in the Grey Cup for the 1st time in I think 12 years.  This is Canada's super bowl so it's pretty big deal for us up here.  Even better is the fact that my boss is originally from Calgary and was wearing his Calgary Stampeders jersey to work last Friday so I can annoy the hell out of him basically all off season.

Having HOF QB's on all the other Teams in your division over the Years (Marino, Kelly, Brady) doesn't help...  When is it our turn :(  So yeah that is wearing on us...but I think the NFL product is getting worse too and these rules are out of control....  Was flipping back and forth between Jets and on commercials (yeah, alot of those too) the Redskins...and saw that Defenseless receiver call on a DB hitting a TE up high in his chest and it just makes me crazy to see this league become touch football.

That to me is the bigger problem... 

I had a love/hate relationship with the NFL and the Jets. Now it's more like hate/love.  

at the end of the day this is supposed to be entertaining. I am not entertained. 

885SL.gif

For me it is more the culture of the game and referees that is ruining the experience for me. Last night Patrick Chung blatantly interferes with Sammy Watkins on a long pass play. He never turns to find the ball but sticks both arms up in his face and the ball hits him (Chung) in the back of the head. I don't know about you, but if that had been a Jets player Watkins would have a first and goal on the yellow flag. Another issue is pass receptions. I seems this lawyer driven league has finally found a way to confound EVERYONE in what is and what isn't a pass reception. To me it is simple, if a guy has two hands on the ball and two feet down it is a freakin catch. You shouldn't have to have all these other addendums like getting a note from your mother that the play is over. The NFL better change that crap quick because the game could very easily be rigged with these rules.

It's a disgrace and a shame. The quality of the sport has definitely tipped the balance to Saturday >>>>>> Sunday.

Problem is, people still watch. I do, out of some kind of misguided naive hope that things will change back, and we'll be watching football again. That and I've spent so much emotional investment in my life on the Jets that I still need to know what is happening with them. You can't just turn that off. I did stop watching other games mostly yet.

Having HOF QB's on all the other Teams in your division over the Years (Marino, Kelly, Brady) doesn't help...  When is it our turn :(  So yeah that is wearing on us...but I think the NFL product is getting worse too and these rules are out of control....  Was flipping back and forth between Jets and on commercials (yeah, alot of those too) the Redskins...and saw that Defenseless receiver call on a DB hitting a TE up high in his chest and it just makes me crazy to see this league become touch football.

We had our hall of fame quarterback. It just happened to be before color television was invented. So the young bucks (me) didn't get to see any of it. It's almost like it never happened. If the cycle stays true we're up next for the franchise quarterback.

As for the topic, maybe I'm a naive young Jet fan but the sport will never get boring and I will never get sick of this team. Go Jets!

The whole NFL experience is becoming annoying. First, starting with the incessant commercials and TV timeouts. Next, replay which slows the game down almost to a baseball like pace. Third, other than NE, AZ, Carolina, the rest of the league is flat out boring to watch. Crappy QB play, uninspired defense and constant penalties make the game a drudgery. I have taken to recording games I am semi interested in and DVR'ing my way through commercials, penalties, replays and touchback kick-offs to watch, oh about 45 minutes or so of actual Jets or Cardinals football.

You started your thread talking about how football in general is not the same, then switched to how the Jets will never change.

To answer your original question, yes I am getting sick of the new NFL. Its a mix of arena football and the WWF. Too many rules against the defense, too many rules protecting certain qb's, too many refs wanting to be THE biggest part of the game. The endless amount of commercials, the endless pregame shows about the same five topics and of course the Pats winning every f'ing year. Fantasy football has changed the way the game is played and I hate it.

Now about the Jets. You are correct. Same sh*t, different year.

If you do not enjoy rooting for the Jets then you should find a team to root for that you enjoy.

If you do not enjoy watching NFL games then find a more enjoyable way to spend your time.

You do not owe any allegiance to the NFL or any of its teams.

Nothing wrong with beefing about the product, the nfl for all it's brilliance in marketing and making it what it is has managed to foul up the in game product very badly.  They have all sorts of obscure once in a decade rules that show up.  they make ridiculous rules and then have to add more ridiculous rules on top of them to try and fix them.  They make rules to make the game controlled and frankly boring at times.  They use a hammer to fix a mosquito.

Example one, the receiving rules, no one and I man no one has a clue what a catch is.  The coaches don't the players don't the fans don't the refs don't the review booth doesn't.  It varies from game to game from play to play and causes nothing but frustration at all levels.

Kick off rules, one of the more exciting plays in the game, becasue there was a rash of injuries on kickoffs, instead of finding a rational way to make rule changes to lessen injuries they use the hammer by moving the kick offs up and making 7 out of 10 kicks touch backs, just like the 8 out of 10 fair catches.

You started your thread talking about how football in general is not the same, then switched to how the Jets will never change.

To answer your original question, yes I am getting sick of the new NFL. Its a mix of arena football and the WWF. Too many rules against the defense, too many rules protecting certain qb's, too many refs wanting to be THE biggest part of the game. The endless amount of commercials, the endless pregame shows about the same five topics and of course the Pats winning every f'ing year. Fantasy football has changed the way the game is played and I hate it.

Now about the Jets. You are correct. Same sh*t, different year.

That's true.  It's hard to believe how much fantasy football has taken over real football. 

Nothing wrong with beefing about the product, the nfl for all it's brilliance in marketing and making it what it is has managed to foul up the in game product very badly.  They have all sorts of obscure once in a decade rules that show up.  they make ridiculous rules and then have to add more ridiculous rules on top of them to try and fix them.  They make rules to make the game controlled and frankly boring at times.  They use a hammer to fix a mosquito.

Example one, the receiving rules, no one and I man no one has a clue what a catch is.  The coaches don't the players don't the fans don't the refs don't the review booth doesn't.  It varies from game to game from play to play and causes nothing but frustration at all levels.

Kick off rules, one of the more exciting plays in the game, becasue there was a rash of injuries on kickoffs, instead of finding a rational way to make rule changes to lessen injuries they use the hammer by moving the kick offs up and making 7 out of 10 kicks touch backs, just like the 8 out of 10 fair catches.

Agreed on all points. 

Even though the point of this thread, as JiF astutely noted, was to give an outlet for SoFla's semi-monthly histrionic ranting...

... there is some merit to the idea (not really expressed above) that the there is just too much ******* NFL saturation these days.  The league forces itself into your face every. single. day.  It's like the football version of the 24 hour news cycle.

Combine that with 1. the lack of parity in the league and overall sh*tty quality of games this year; 2. the terrible officiating 2015 has seen; 3. the growing public consciousness of how horrible these head injuries are; 4. Roger Goodell's general, foul existence; and 5.  the fact that the Jets have been dogsh*t for the better part of 5 years

...then yes, I can kind of sympathize with the premise in the thread title.

That is the biggest problem.  So many penalties on stuff that shouldn't be a penalty.  You have to let them play a bit.

I'm sick of the Jets, but I don't think it's just cause of them.  I could handle the 80 and 90s.  It the fact that the team I hate the MOST, with all that history just keeps rolling along.  No matter what happens, they just keep going along with BB and the Baby Goat lover.  And we NEVER have a QB, and we never have a chance.

and the game of football as it's being played nowadays? I don't know, but all I 'DO' know is that I just don't get the enjoyment out of it like I used to ya know? If it weren't for my wife who uses it as an impetus to get conversations going with our son, I swear the games wouldn't even be on the TV in side of the apartment.

Do you realize that this team over the last 5 years has won only 31 games, which means it has been averaging 6 wins a year, and which ALSO means it's been losing 10 games a year and let's face it boys-that ain't no fun to watch.

Look, I love this team just as much as the rest of y'all but this is ridiculous and nothing ever seems to change, the same issues continually rear their ugly head, regardless of who is running the team and who isn't. It always seems to start with lousy QB play, and then inevitable injuries abounding at all the most critical areas costing guys their jobs. One year it's the coach, then the OC , then the rest of the coaches, then the GM and the coach. Then Johnson gets mad enough and brings in a new regime which looks good at first and then the same old Jets bad luck and horrible drafting rears it's ugly head again prompting the calls for another new regime, wash, rinse, and repeat. 

I'm not even going to get into mentioning our biggest rivals and their situations compared to ours. I don't know maybe I should count my blessings and say to myself "hey at least once in your life, you had a chance to see what a Jets World Championship looks like. All I can tell you guys is IT WAS GREAT, unlike any other New York sports team's title run. So before the same usual jerkolfs start in on me, I just want to say, this isn't whining, this is simply calling 'em as I see 'em and lastly... 

I have resigned myself to the simple fact that The New York Jets under the ownership of one Robert Wood Johnson will never win an NFL Championship 

I don't get as worked up for the games as I used to.  I attribute that to age.

Yearly?

You mean weekly?  At least semi-monthly.

here's the jerkolf contingent-at least he isn't calling me a racist from 1200 miles away while knowing absolutely NOTHING about me or my life. All in all though, I'm pretty happy with the discourse here. As to making it about the game of football and then the Jets, I pretty much only WATCH the Jets, so how else would I relate to the game. As for college-can't do it-it's just not 'in' me like the jets are

This has been long over due. I've been waiting for it, figuring it couldnt be too far away and here we are!!!  The yearly SoFlaJets, woe is me and my life as a Jets fan thread has arrived!

To answer you question:

Saturdays >>>>>> Sundays

Come on JiF, that's a cheap shot.

SoFlaJets has always been one of the best posters on Jets message boards.

In the 15 years that I've known him, he has always been an optimistic, great Jets fan.

Can you really blame a long-time Jets fan for the last 5 years?

Archived