Anybody Else Getting Sick Of The NFL?

SoFlaJets

Even though the point of this thread, as JiF astutely noted, was to give an outlet for SoFla's semi-monthly histrionic ranting...

... there is some merit to the idea (not really expressed above) that the there is just too much ******* NFL saturation these days.  The league forces itself into your face every. single. day.  It's like the football version of the 24 hour news cycle.

Combine that with 1. the lack of parity in the league and overall sh*tty quality of games this year; 2. the terrible officiating 2015 has seen; 3. the growing public consciousness of how horrible these head injuries are; 4. Roger Goodell's general, foul existence; and 5.  the fact that the Jets have been dogsh*t for the better part of 5 years

...then yes, I can kind of sympathize with the premise in the thread title.

Fun With Dick and Jane.jpeg

Its the fact the jets have sucked since 2010. Being a fan of a bottom feeder team eventually kills your love for the game and leads you to other activities on sundays instead of getting heart disease.

yea it sure did lead to a lot of good partying and pookie in the mid-70's but like Lou Reed once said: Those...were different times I don't think I even bothered watching a game from 1975 (3-11) 76 (3-11) 77 (3-11) 78 (8-8) 79 (8-8) 80 (4-12) but hey, that was during the whole sexual revolution thing and anybody who was crazy enough to give a crap about football had to be a complete nerd because apparently even the Jets PLAYERS couldn't care less when you could pretty much screw a different girl every night and the worse thing you could catch was maybe the crabs-we was hitting it hard back then and I wouldn't trade those days for nothing

That is the biggest problem.  So many penalties on stuff that shouldn't be a penalty.  You have to let them play a bit.

I'm sick of the Jets, but I don't think it's just cause of them.  I could handle the 80 and 90s.  It the fact that the team I hate the MOST, with all that history just keeps rolling along.  No matter what happens, they just keep going along with BB and the Baby Goat lover.  And we NEVER have a QB, and we never have a chance.

Might as well rename the league to the National Cheaters League, or the GKL - Goodell and Kraft League 

I Have simply surrendered....  When a PATS fan confronts me, I reply in a  false Spanish accent, Pedro Martinez style.

I just tip my hat and call the Pats my daddy.  

tHey smile and leave me alone.

FUKK the PATS but until we have a QB we are fukked. 

The For me it is more the culture of the game and referees that is ruining the experience for me. Last night Patrick Chung blatantly interferes with Sammy Watkins on a long pass play. He never turns to find the ball but sticks both arms up in his face and the ball hits him (Chung) in the back of the head. I don't know about you, but if that had been a Jets player Watkins would have a first and goal on the yellow flag. Another issue is pass receptions. I seems this lawyer driven league has finally found a way to confound EVERYONE in what is and what isn't a pass reception. To me it is simple, if a guy has two hands on the ball and two feet down it is a freakin catch. You shouldn't have to have all these other addendums like getting a note from your mother that the play is over. The NFL better change that crap quick because the game could very easily be rigged with these rules.

The Pats being so indulged has the feel of a WWE work rather than a fair competition or Tim Donagy reffing an NBA game. Yes, Rex is a moron, but the refs are incompetent.Or worse.  But we're getting to the point that no matter what happens in the end the NFL will bend over backward to get the Super Bowl they want with the Pats.

And they don't need to to do that. This is always going to be the biggest TV property in the US, period. 

By comparison college football (even with a host of other problems) is forcing teams to earn it. Honestly didn't much care for college football but right now it's a better watch. Not saying more talented, and the passing is not nearly as good. But the NFL needs to grasp once college goes to 8 games this weekly sheetshow of indulging certain QBs and teams for soap opera effect some fans are gonna check out completely.  

here's the jerkolf contingent-at least he isn't calling me a racist from 1200 miles away while knowing absolutely NOTHING about me or my life. All in all though, I'm pretty happy with the discourse here. As to making it about the game of football and then the Jets, I pretty much only WATCH the Jets, so how else would I relate to the game. As for college-can't do it-it's just not 'in' me like the jets are

I don't know if you're racist or not, but ain't nobody going to call you homophobic with all that "the Jets are in me " talk.

This may be the turning point guys. Maybe to get put back into the script, you have to stop watching. Maybe if NY ratings drop drastically, they'll realize it's time to change gears and max out the biggest market on earth again.

Look, right before the Pats run, led by a once-scrawny backup QB to Drew Henson, they almost left for Hartford, CT. Games were routinely blacked out. There were more Giants fans in that area before the pink hats and internet trolls came along, suddenly born of the Hooded Sociopath and his walking Dimple.

Turn off your TVs. If you do, the Petty Dynasty will begin.

and the game of football as it's being played nowadays? I don't know, but all I 'DO' know is that I just don't get the enjoyment out of it like I used to ya know? If it weren't for my wife who uses it as an impetus to get conversations going with our son, I swear the games wouldn't even be on the TV in side of the apartment.

Do you realize that this team over the last 5 years has won only 31 games, which means it has been averaging 6 wins a year, and which ALSO means it's been losing 10 games a year and let's face it boys-that ain't no fun to watch.

Look, I love this team just as much as the rest of y'all but this is ridiculous and nothing ever seems to change, the same issues continually rear their ugly head, regardless of who is running the team and who isn't. It always seems to start with lousy QB play, and then inevitable injuries abounding at all the most critical areas costing guys their jobs. One year it's the coach, then the OC , then the rest of the coaches, then the GM and the coach. Then Johnson gets mad enough and brings in a new regime which looks good at first and then the same old Jets bad luck and horrible drafting rears it's ugly head again prompting the calls for another new regime, wash, rinse, and repeat. 

I'm not even going to get into mentioning our biggest rivals and their situations compared to ours. I don't know maybe I should count my blessings and say to myself "hey at least once in your life, you had a chance to see what a Jets World Championship looks like. All I can tell you guys is IT WAS GREAT, unlike any other New York sports team's title run. So before the same usual jerkolfs start in on me, I just want to say, this isn't whining, this is simply calling 'em as I see 'em and lastly... 

I have resigned myself to the simple fact that The New York Jets under the ownership of one Robert Wood Johnson will never win an NFL Championship 

I'm getting sick of the dumb coaching, the dumb players, and the new DUMB rules. I miss the football of the 70's and 80's . I'm especially very sick of players celebrating after every tackle and every catch as if WTF they did making a tackle 7 yards down field or a catch for a first down. It makes me so sick I think they should start handing out penalties to players who do this. Do they realize how dumb they look celebrating a common tackle having to run away from all the other players so they can get the spotlight by either shaking their heads or pointing at themselves maybe they should get in the fuking huddle and get ready for the next play

I'm getting sick of the dumb coaching, the dumb players, and the new DUMB rules. I miss the football of the 70's and 80's . I'm especially very sick of players celebrating after every tackle and every catch as if WTF they did making a tackle 7 yards down field or a catch for a first down. It makes me so sick I think they should start handing out penalties to players who do this. Do they realize how dumb they look celebrating a common tackle having to run away from all the other players so they can get the spotlight by either shaking their heads or pointing at themselves maybe they should get in the fuking huddle and get ready for the next play

that's another thing, and good point Smash, I thought they HAD started handing out penalties for excessive celebrating. That is something that has been brought up here and maybe it's a big part of this sinking feeling-the frigging rules committee, they meet every winter to think up new ways to screw up the game and every September we see all of these penalties being called and then the inevitable hue and cry about too many of these types of calls and too many of that kind and "they better figure this out because they are ruining the game" and then by November the plays aren't even called anymore. Then from game to game it all changes again, depending on which zebra team you pull. Get Walt Coleman's team and the game is slowed down to a crawl with flags thrown on nearly every play. There is no consistency to the game any more.

It's slowly becoming basketball with all these reviews and penalties, AKA unwatchable. (Aside from Jets W's this year) I've enjoyed two games; The first (maybe, second) MNF with the broncos/chiefs, and Pats/Giants. 

The only reason the broncos/chiefs was exciting was because of the awesome, awesome display of pass rushing, that whole game. Both QBs were under duress the ENTIRE game. Was very fun to watch.

Hate both the Giants and Patriots, but to be honest, that was the most entertaining game of the year. Had that playoff feel to it. 

Almost every other game has been crap. 

Else we get guys like Bob Costas ramming their politics down our throat (gun control).  

In the old days it was about football, not the other stuff.  Plus the running game and defense meant a lot more (and kickoff returns weren't essentially phased out).  Today it's mainly about 1 player (the QB) and defenses aren't allowed to breathe on offensive players. It's just a different sport.  I also think today's announcers are nowhere near as good as from the 80's.  No more Dick Enberg, Charlie Jones, Pat Summerall, Tom Brookshier, John Madden (who eventually got stale), Don Criqui, Vin Scully, Merlin Olsen, Marv Albert, Howard Cosell, etc.  

Such great announcers. You left out Curt Gowdy!  When I hear Joe Buck announcing a game, I just shriek and click the mute button.   

I miss the cold games. The Rams vs. Vikings in subzero weather in Minnesota.  Those were amazing defensive games.  I miss the real grass fields where players got their uniforms all messed up and dirty and muddy. Its like they're playing flag football now.  They don't even need to wash them after the game.  Its all so....synthetic.

Unlike a lot here, I think that the type of football played today is just as interesting as the football in the 80s and 90s. The problem with the Jets is that the owner still hires a HC and FO that act like they are building a team for the 80s and 90s, not the 2010s. Until that changes we will continue to suck.

NFL definitely needs to fix some rules, especially what is a catch and ALL defensive penalties being a first down needs to change. Looking for the "defensive holding" penalty on 3rd and long gets really old.

Oh, and fire Goodell.

I'm also enjoying football a lot less too. It's just not like it used to be, when I was shouting "Riggins" as a kid, as Riggins started to turn upfield after a quick flair... all that has been written above how the game has changed is true, but the free agency has killed it for me. Wesley Walker, Jerome Barkum, Al Toon - those guys were Jets for a while and you can really start to grow attached to them. Now, we have revolving door receivers like Holmes, Edwards, Decker, Marshall  - it's just not the same when you are rooting for laundry. I probably liked Lavernius Coles so much because he was a Jet (and a great one) for so long, somehow via free agency he came back to us. There's no loyalty of players to teams, or fans to players - just loyalty by fans to the colors and players to the color green.  That first Mangini season was probably my favorite. We were underdogs, and with an innovative offense featuring Cotch and Coles (two real Jets) we took the league by surprise...

Regardless of what only 2 posters here think (JIF and meadowlands) there are a lot of really good and insightful thoughts being put out here by JN's smart FOOTBALL (and not just Jets) fans.

Clearly, the game isn't the same as it was and you'd can't help but notice that our collective dissatisfaction seems to coincide with the start of Roger Goodell's tenure in 2006 as the Commissioner of the NFL and the institution of his "prime directive" for protecting the shield, which has led to the shakiest of all pro sports' protocols, the Players Code of Conduct Policy. Of all the controversial actions that Goodell has taken, the inconsistencies between his and his alone's rulings from player offense to player penalty, seems mostly to depend upon which TEAM that player is from. When Vince Wilfork's wife can plead her husband's case to the Commissioner  and sway his ruling on any suspension, completely discounting the QBs who his low hits ended up costing those teams another season of no playoffs.

When things like that are allowed to happen (not even MENTIONING Deflategate) it just casts a dark shadow over the one thing that he SAYS is his prime purpose

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/insider/smith/article/Deflategate-ruling-proves-once-again-that-Roger-6483011.php

Well I personally have one very big bright point football wise, being from Canada.  My home team the Edmonton Eskimos bitch slapped our big rival Calgary this past Sunday in the Western Final and we are now playing in the Grey Cup for the 1st time in I think 12 years.  This is Canada's super bowl so it's pretty big deal for us up here.  Even better is the fact that my boss is originally from Calgary and was wearing his Calgary Stampeders jersey to work last Friday so I can annoy the hell out of him basically all off season.

I can relate, with me its been my 11 yr old son and his football team...He's playing great, all over the field making big plays and the team plays like a team and has crushed all the cheating teams from the towns that have the money...These teams cheat with the weight allowances every year and this year they kicked all their asses anyway...????

In this age, it is no longer about the entertainment value of football, it is now how much money can the league make off itself? How can the league expand into Europe to tap a new market. What new TV package can it put together to have networks drool over itself?

FanDuel and DraftKings? Bring it on. More ways to get non-football fans involved in the exploitation of stats and numbers to make, what else, money!

Hey, I am an old curmudgeon. I get it. And it is the way of the world today, money. But the league has become a parody of itself, and it tries to introduce more parity. 

In this age, it is no longer about the entertainment value of football, it is now how much money can the league make off itself? How can the league expand into Europe to tap a new market. What new TV package can it put together to have networks drool over itself?

FanDuel and DraftKings? Bring it on. More ways to get non-football fans involved in the exploitation of stats and numbers to make, what else, money!

Hey, I am an old curmudgeon. I get it. And it is the way of the world today, money. But the league has become a parody of itself, and it tries to introduce more parity. 

But that's the thing Scott, IT DOESN'T! It's perfectly content to have the game be all about the beloved Pats and Brady and GonK!, and Peyton and Eli-those few big names and the same 4-6 teams every year being in the final 4 with one wildcard who will be allowed into the group as long as they don't try to mess the script that's been written all up. Anybody wonder why that for the past decade 80% of the press sportswriters have chosen the Patriots as their pre-season SB pick? Parity USED to be important it's just not anymore.

Here's what cracks me up, hearing NFL owners saying Goodell is doing such a good job because the NFL is so popular....HOGWASH! It's coincides with the popularity of fantasy football that's made it so popular. The game itself has gotten WORSE! Way too many stupid rules, the top teams get most of the calls & QB protection. Too many lazy players that don't give close to 100%. A massive lack of quality QBs making most contests unwatchable. 

It's crazy how it's so popular but the product itself is so horrible.

This has been long over due. I've been waiting for it, figuring it couldnt be too far away and here we are!!!  The yearly SoFlaJets, woe is me and my life as a Jets fan thread has arrived!

To answer you question:

Saturdays >>>>>> Sundays

It's also been a while since the last SJ "No Matter How Bad Things Are We all Bleed Green" thread.  Can't be far off.

here's the jerkolf contingent-at least he isn't calling me a racist from 1200 miles away while knowing absolutely NOTHING about me or my life. All in all though, I'm pretty happy with the discourse here. As to making it about the game of football and then the Jets, I pretty much only WATCH the Jets, so how else would I relate to the game. As for college-can't do it-it's just not 'in' me like the jets are

If you can't admit that you're a tad over-dramatic on this board, you're completely delusional.  Facts.

I'm also enjoying football a lot less too. It's just not like it used to be, when I was shouting "Riggins" as a kid, as Riggins started to turn upfield after a quick flair... all that has been written above how the game has changed is true, but the free agency has killed it for me. Wesley Walker, Jerome Barkum, Al Toon - those guys were Jets for a while and you can really start to grow attached to them. Now, we have revolving door receivers like Holmes, Edwards, Decker, Marshall  - it's just not the same when you are rooting for laundry. I probably liked Lavernius Coles so much because he was a Jet (and a great one) for so long, somehow via free agency he came back to us. There's no loyalty of players to teams, or fans to players - just loyalty by fans to the colors and players to the color green.  That first Mangini season was probably my favorite. We were underdogs, and with an innovative offense featuring Cotch and Coles (two real Jets) we took the league by surprise...

That's what has become, and that's what it comes down to. Laundry.

If you can't admit that you're a tad over-dramatic on this board, you're completely delusional.  Facts.

Dude, just put me on focking ignore will you? You can't say one frigging decent thing to me ever and I have no desire to read what you think of me especially after your last blast of ignorance when you decided that because i compared Bowles to Edwards that I'm a racist-put me on ignore and then go fock yourself bro OK?

This has been long over due. I've been waiting for it, figuring it couldnt be too far away and here we are!!!  The yearly SoFlaJets, woe is me and my life as a Jets fan thread has arrived!

To answer you question:

Saturdays >>>>>> Sundays

Yearly?

You mean weekly?  At least semi-monthly.

It's also been a while since the last SJ "No Matter How Bad Things Are We all Bleed Green" thread.  Can't be far off.

I have an Idea if you guys feel this way then don't post in the thread. I never understood why people feel the need to do this crap. Maybe make a point about the topic :)

Archived