Thought on the lack of a running game

drsamuel84

Thinking about how much the running game has fallen off lately it got me thinking.  This team has constantly been playing  from behind with the slow starts which in my opinion is greatly affecting our ability to run the ball well.  I know Colon getting hurt and Mangold being in and out combined with Fitz not playing as well is definitely a factor but I think the slow start is something thats not being talked about enough.  Ivory is a bruiser who wears d-lines down and has been much more successful in the second half.  Knowing that, we need to get off to better starts which in turn would allow us to stick with the running game and dictate our offense.  Just a thought that in my opinion, has been overlooked.

Even in the beginning of the games we are not running well. They mentioned on Sunday that Ivory is a better back when they have the QB under center and running I form type of packages.  Taking the hand off from a shotgun is a big difference for backs.

Get behind in this league and the running game for every team goes downward.  I'm sure there are probably stats that back this up, that being teams that are ahead early have great running games.  In any case the league is not longer built around the run, it is a passing league and you pass to set up the run not the other way around.

I think you guys have it backwards.  It should be way easier to run when you are behind. Teams pull the safeties out of the box and are willing to let you gain yards to eat clock and guard against the quick strike that can get you back in the game.  There is literally no reason that it is harder to run when you are down than when you are up.  It's like running on 3rd and 18.  Sure it isn't likely to be successful, but it is easier to gain yards than on 3rd and 3 or 1st and 10.  The running game stats go downward for teams that are behind because there are less attempts.  The Jets have to start off stronger to win, but that probably stems from the lack of running game in the first place.  Mangold and Colon were the strength of the run game and Ivory has been dinged and supposedly doesn't like running out of shotgun.  Those are all potential reasons.

1. Fitz is taking snaps out of the shotgun due to his thumb injury.

2. Mangold is playing hurt and the JAG backup center been in for him twice already.

3. Colon is IR'ed and Winters is still a JAG.

4.  Ivory has been playing hurt.

5.  Power has been out and the other two backups are JAGS.

6. Our designated H back was on a 4 game suspension.  

Wake up and smell the coffee, OP :)

1. Fitz is taking snaps out of the shotgun due to his thumb injury.

2. Mangold is playing hurt and the JAG backup center been in for him twice already.

3. Colon is IR'ed and Winters is still a JAG.

4.  Ivory has been playing hurt.

5.  Power has been out and the other two backups are JAGS.

6. Our designated H back was on a 4 game suspension.  

Wake up and smell the coffee, OP :)

I pretty much covered all those points but the reality is, Ivory runs better when given a lot of carries and a chance to wear down defenses.  You don't have the luxury to keep running the ball when you're playing from behind.

I pretty much covered all those points but the reality is, Ivory runs better when given a lot of carries and a chance to wear down defenses.  You don't have the luxury to keep running the ball when you're playing from behind.

You don't have the luxury of running the ball when running it just produces 3 and outs.  When you're too banged up to get results running it that wears out your D long before it wears out your opponents D.  You need TOP to wear down a D and this team has not been able to control the TOP due to multiple injuries.  You also need the horses and an injured Ivory ain't cutting it in that dept either.      

Archived