Bowles 'went off' in locker room after Houston loss ~ ~ ~

kelly

New York Jets coach Todd Bowles, always composed in public settings, ripped into his team after Sunday's ugly loss to the Houston Texans.

"Coach Todd, after the game, went off on us and told us, 'Losing is not acceptable,'" defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson said Tuesday in his weekly spot on WFAN radio. "He doesn’t like losing, as well. I’m pretty sure that everybody in the locker room definitely needs to have that spark lit under them this week, and we need to get these wins rolling quickly."

Ordinarily, this would be a "Dog-bites-Man" headline. After all, how is a coach supposed to react after a pitiful performance? It's a little different with Bowles because he's known for his low-key personality. You see his stoic persona on the sideline and in news conferences and you wonder if the guy has any fire.Bowles has mentioned on a few occasions that he's more emotional than people realize, and that he gets that way behind closed doors. He doesn't like to talk about it and he doesn't like when his players talk about it. Several players clammed up when asked about Bowles' immediate reaction to the 24-17 loss.

So did Bowles.

"I'm extremely upset, but I'm not going to take it out here," he said after the game. "We'll discuss that in-house when I get back in the locker room and we get in the meeting."

Was he still ticked off in Monday's team meeting  ?

"That’s a personal thing, that’s inside the team," Ryan Fitzpatrick said. "Obviously, none of us are happy with the effort, none of us are happy with how the game went down. I think the message was clear that we’ve got to put our focus into this week and make sure we get this thing back on the right track."

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56444/jets-coach-todd-bowles-went-off-in-locker-room-after-houston-loss

What bothers me is the inconsistency of guys like Marshall, who can make a fantastic catch one sequence and then drop a gimme on the next. Defensively, Calvin Pryor, a guy who is supposed to be a basher is an arm tackler. Bench these guys when they do stuff like that, can't win with 'em, can't do it. Bowles made a statement when he cut Quentin Coples and I hope other first rounders heed the message (read Dee Milliner, who could be next). You can't just show up and think the other guy is in awe of you or is going to give you anything and too often that is what I see in the Jets. They want to win, but don't want to put in the necessary work to achieve it.

Calvin Pryor, a guy who is supposed to be a basher is an arm tackler.

He actually does bash into people at times. That's how he made McCown fumble in week 1, IIRC.

Besides, arm tackling is good. Haven't you seen enough miss hits, broken tackles, and extended plays because our defense fails to wrap the receiver or running back up? I'd rather watch a boring arm tackle that gets the man to the ground, than a jarring bash that either misses, making the defender unable to recover, or is shrugged off like nothing.

Rex Ryan to the Jets locker room after a brutal 2014 loss:

"You guys are the best, I think you're the greatest team in the NFL, go home and make love to your wife."

Todd Bowles to the Jets locker room after a brutal 2014 loss:

"You guys suck, I think you didn't get off the bus and I can't explain it, I'm cutting some of you."

What a Jets player is thinking in the locker room after a brutal loss in 2014, 2015 or any year:

"Where did I park my Range Rover?  I forget."

SAR I

What bothers me is the inconsistency of guys like Marshall, who can make a fantastic catch one sequence and then drop a gimme on the next. Defensively, Calvin Pryor, a guy who is supposed to be a basher is an arm tackler. Bench these guys when they do stuff like that, can't win with 'em, can't do it. Bowles made a statement when he cut Quentin Coples and I hope other first rounders heed the message (read Dee Milliner, who could be next). You can't just show up and think the other guy is in awe of you or is going to give you anything and too often that is what I see in the Jets. They want to win, but don't want to put in the necessary work to achieve it.

This team's fundamentals haven't been good all season, but at first they won in spite of it.

• poor form on tackling: arm tackles, checks instead of wrap-ups, and horrible leverage that allows them to be shrugged off
  • poor concentration on catches: ball can hit receivers in both hands, be perfectly placed, and they don't haul it in - even when uncontested
  • OL cannot hold their blocks
  • DL cannot penetrate or attack protections like they did under Rex (this was Rex's strongest attribute as a coordinator)
  • defense doesn't set the edge like they did under Rex (this was probably Rex's second-greatest strength)
  • QB has problems with accuracy, timing, going through progressions, staring down receivers, and sliding when he runs
  • RBs dance behind the line of scrimmage (I am in awe that Gailey has turned Ivory into a dancer)
  • CBs give 20 yard cushions and bite on moves that veteran CBs should not bite on
  • LBs take terrible angles and lose track of receivers in coverage

Team just isn't that good. 

Dollar for dollar, I'm realizing as I write this that Eric Decker is probably the best, most-consistent Jet on the team. At least on offense. He runs great routes, is where he's supposed to be, makes the best of bad throws (similar to Marshall), and doesn't have the drops (as frequently), or the boneheaded plays where he turns a routine play into a turnover.

Rex Ryan to the Jets locker room after a brutal 2014 loss:

"You guys are the best, I think you're the greatest team in the NFL, go home and make love to MY wife."

Todd Bowles to the Jets locker room after a brutal 2014 loss:

"You guys suck, I think you didn't get off the bus and I can't explain it, I'm cutting some of you."

What a Jets player is thinking in the locker room after a brutal loss in 2014, 2015 or any year:

"Where did I park my Range Rover?  I forget."

SAR I

Fixed.

This team's fundamentals haven't been good all season, but at first they won in spite of it.

• poor form on tackling: arm tackles, checks instead of wrap-ups, and horrible leverage that allows them to be shrugged off
  • poor concentration on catches: ball can hit receivers in both hands, be perfectly placed, and they don't haul it in - even when uncontested
  • OL cannot hold their blocks
  • DL cannot penetrate or attack protections like they did under Rex (this was Rex's strongest attribute as a coordinator)
  • defense doesn't set the edge like they did under Rex (this was probably Rex's second-greatest strength)
  • QB has problems with accuracy, timing, going through progressions, staring down receivers, and sliding when he runs
  • RBs dance behind the line of scrimmage (I am in awe that Gailey has turned Ivory into a dancer)
  • CBs give 20 yard cushions and bite on moves that veteran CBs should not bite on
  • LBs take terrible angles and lose track of receivers in coverage

Team just isn't that good. 

Dollar for dollar, I'm realizing as I write this that Eric Decker is probably the best, most-consistent Jet on the team. At least on offense. He runs great routes, is where he's supposed to be, makes the best of bad throws (similar to Marshall), and doesn't have the drops (as frequently), or the boneheaded plays where he turns a routine play into a turnover.

Decker does drop more passes than he should, but overall I agree with the notion that he is probably the best, most-consistent Jet on the team.   Up there is Wilkerson, who has been consistent just is not JJ Watt, Harris and Harrison.  

Nice to hear someone else sees Pryor's tackling is piss poor.  I disagree about an arm tackler though.   I watch him go for the hit without wrapping up.  Different means, same results.

Nice to hear someone else sees Pryor's tackling is piss poor.  I disagree about an arm tackler though.   I watch him go for the hit without wrapping up.  Different means, same results.

I actually think Pryor has actually been one of our better tacklers this season. A lot of our players have been struggling with that, but he's not the worst culprit. I agree though, that he should go for the wrap-up more often than he does.

Archived