R4. S. Evans----------IR-jag

R4. D. Dozier------active-jag

R5. J. George*

R6. B. Dixon*

R6. Q. Enunwa-------active

R6. I.K. Enemkpali*

R6. T. Boyd*

R7. T. Reilly------active

During the Rex era we had 39 picks.  Of those only 17 are still active.  Of those 5 are starters, however Winters and Davis are very questionable, so 3 quality players.  Of the remaining 12 only 6 are average or better, and one of those is on IR, Powell, Kerley, Bohannon, Enunwa, Reilly, and Allen.  So that leaves us with 6 jags or worse.

So we net 3 starters, 6 average or so players, and some jags. Geesh   

To paraphrase Bill Parcells, we are what the draft says we are.            

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*=cut

**=not resigned,  

2009(0)

R1. M. Sanchez**

R3. S Greene**

R6. M. Slauson**

2010(0)

R1. K. Wilson**

R2. V Ducasse**

R4. J McKnight*

R5. J. Conner*

2011(3)

R1. M. Wilkerson-------STARTER

R3. K. Ellis**

R4. B. Powell-----------active

R5. J. Kerley-----------active

R7. G. McElroy*

R7. S. McKnight*

2012(2)

R1. Q. Coples*

R2. S. Hill*

R3. D. Davis--------STARTER

R6. J. Bush*

R6. T. Ganaway*

R7. A. Allen---------IR

R7. J. White*

2013(5)

R1. D. Milliner---------active

R1. S Richardson-----STARTER

R2. G. Smith----------active

R3. B. Winters---------STARTER

R5. O. Aboushi*

R6. W. Campbell*

R7. T. Bohannon-------active

2014(7)

R1. C. Pryor------STARTER

R2. J. Amaro---------IR

R3. D. McDougal-------active-jag

R4. J. Saunders*

R4. S. Evans----------IR-jag

R4. D. Dozier------active-jag

R5. J. George*

R6. B. Dixon*

R6. Q. Enunwa-------active

R6. I.K. Enemkpali*

R6. T. Boyd*

R7. T. Reilly------active

During the Rex era we had 39 picks.  Of those only 17 are still active.  Of those 5 are starters, however Winters and Davis are very questionable, so 3 quality players.  Of the remaining 12 only 6 are average or better, and one of those is on IR, Powell, Kerley, Bohannon, Enunwa, Reilly, and Allen.  So that leaves us with 6 jags or worse.

So we net 3 starters, 6 average or so players, and some jags. Geesh   

To paraphrase Bill Parcells, we are what the draft says we are.            

Havent you heard???  rex had no input there. ;)

I go to a BILLS site and the fans there are so tired of REX and most believe marrone was a better defensive coach. last night reminded me of REX 2010. With someone elses players, he's OK.  Give him a few years, he'll fukk up any team.

Great analysis.

There is an awful lot of work to do, and a good portion of the roster is deteriorating, not developing.  

Mac, Bowles and Woody need to realize this, ASAP, and stop wasting money on temporary fixes.  I hate the Cromartie signing.  Hopefully its not too late to lock up Wilkerson longterm.  Unfortunately, by drafting Williams either Wilkerson or Richardson need to be traded.

It is highly likely that the conclusion is that the Williams pick should have been Gurley, Beasley or Flowers.

To be honest I was in favor of BPA Williams this year too but stopping to take a look at the bigger picture, we're just too loaded on DL to be able to say he was our best move.  Lots of good players there at 6.  I was expecting Williams to have been long gone and so having Cooper falling to us.

I go to a BILLS site and the fans there are so tired of REX and most believe marrone was a better defensive coach. last night reminded me of REX 2010. With someone elses players, he's OK.  Give him a few years, he'll fukk up any team.

Oh, it reminded me of Rex for different reasons. 

Get blown out the first time they play them, win a few games in spite of yourself in between, then get the rematch and end with a close score... even though the game was never really "close".

To be honest I was in favor of BPA Williams this year too but stopping to take a look at the bigger picture, we're just too loaded on DL to be able to say he was our best move.  Lots of good players there at 6.  I was expecting Williams to have been long gone and so having Cooper falling to us.

No, don't overthink it. Taking Williams was the right move. 

The wrong move was not finding a way to trade up in front of the Raiders for Amari Cooper or a QB.

Still, Williams is a good pick. Getting that pick right has to be looked at independent of ******* up the last 6 years of draft picks. I wish we'd done more later in the draft. We won't know what Devin Smith is for another year or so, Mauldin looks good, and after the first 3 rounds you can't really expect much in their rookie year. In fact, hoping 4th round and later picks save our season is a symptom of the last 6 years being drafted terribly. Real teams don't start those late picks as rookies, no do they let a season's success hinge upon them. The idea is to groom them for an eventual role, after you get them coached up... the sh*t we do where we throw them into the fire is pathetic.

Williams was a good pick.  It was justifiable.  I think though, for a team that is really rebuilding, it required letting one of the existing DEs go.  The three of them are somewhat of a luxury given the other needs.   I also think at this point Gurley was the better pick, but he had injury issues, and I am sure Mac wanted to avoid that from backfiring.

At this point in time, the Devin Smith pick is not looking good based on the other players available.  He was picked because there was a perception that the team lacked a Desean Jackson/Brandin Cooks type (they are hurt all the time too).  Mac likely reached for him so that they could compete today with a deep threat (assuming Geno Smith would throw to him)

I could be wrong.  I think we will have a better view of Devin Smith at this time next year.  He needs to spend the WInter in Florham Park, lifting.

Don't want to make any waves but the Sanchez, Greene, Slauson seems above average enough for me. Obviously none of them are still on the team but they were all really important during those two runs to the AFC championship. Even though we never got over the hump, I'm glad thats part of jets history. 

Also....Wow that 2010 draft was miserable. 

Don't want to make any waves but the Sanchez, Greene, Slauson seems above average enough for me. Obviously none of them are still on the team but they were all really important during those two runs to the AFC championship. Even though we never got over the hump, I'm glad thats part of jets history. 

Also....Wow that 2010 draft was miserable. 

Slauson ended up being a great pick, but in typical Jet fashion we didn't retain him.

Greene was labeled as a power back but he never pushed the pile and always got up from tackles like he was hit by a truck. The gap between him and a true power back like Ivory was vast. 1st round grade!

We traded up for Sanchez to get him 5th overall, and he was a bottom 5 QB every year, and is now a career backup. In no way, shape or form was he an "above average pick". He cost us far more wins than he provided, and still is doing so on his 2nd team.

Slauson ended up being a great pick, but in typical Jet fashion we didn't retain him.

Greene was labeled as a power back but he never pushed the pile and always got up from tackles like he was hit by a truck. The gap between him and a true power back like Ivory was vast. 1st round grade!

We traded up for Sanchez to get him 5th overall, and he was a bottom 5 QB every year, and is now a career backup. In no way, shape or form was he an "above average pick". He cost us far more wins than he provided, and still is doing so on his 2nd team.

Maybe above average was wrong choice of words. I think what i really mean is that they were important during our AFC champ runs. Slauson was great value. Greene sucked overall but he had his moments in the playoffs that were important. We all obviously grew to hate Sanchez over time but during his 1st two years he did...well he did enough those first two years lets say.  

Either way though, this obviously wasnt an amazing draft. Even though on paper both 2009 and 2010 draft consist of players not on the team anymore. There is a big difference between them in terms of contribution to the team during their stint with us. 

No doubt the 2010 draft was the worst of the worst. 2009 did momentarily flash and set us up for a nice 2 year run though, so there is that.  None the less, since none of these guys were judged to be good enough to resign (sadly Idzik let Slauson walk) both years become nails in our draft coffin.   

Most of the fans on the Bills Mafia were complaining about our offense today.  The defense played good ball last night

I like the analysis but I have a couple of problems with it:

1. I think you need to look at things on a relative basis vs. other teams, especially the successful ones.  Yes, we have had our share of busts.  But how about "well managed" franchises like Pittsburgh or Green Bay?  Were their batting averages substantially different than the Jets during the Rex years?  My gut feel is there's not that big a difference.

2. The real issue (and this is actually stealing from another thread) is coaching and development.  If you take the position that you can't teach talent, then your analysis is spot on. But I guess I'm a believer that players at this level all have talent and other than for a few super studs like Watts, Brady, Rogers, etc. what really separates the skill we see as fans that's shown on the field is coaching and a system of player development. To me this is the biggest indictment of the Rex/Tanny/Idzik era.  It just seemed like there was no real structure to take draft picks and UFAs and move them through the system to become effective NFL players.

Let me ask you a question:  If you were starting a team right now and had a choice of taking the Patriots defensive personnel and having them coached by Bowles and the Jets coaches, or the Jets personnel and having them coached by Belicheck and the Patriots coaches who would you take?  I'd argue that every year the Patriots are accused of putting a bunch of JAGs out there and every year they outperform the Jets all-stars.  

I don't think this franchise was ever worse than when Parcells had two drafts with 10+ picks and if not for grabbing Fabini in the 4th and Jason Ferguson in the 7th round, would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-25 in those drafts.  If a HOF HC can't get more than two players with 20+ picks, it's amazing that Rex was able to net us Richardson, Wilkerson, Powell, Kerley and Pryor with the jury still out on guys like Reilly, Eununwa, Amaro, McDougle, Milliner, Winters and Antonio Allen.

Calvin Pryor is an example of how much better this coaching staff is at player development. If that kind of growth comes out of Smith and Williams the Jets are clearly on the upswing. A good look at Milner is forthcoming also.

No. It's not. See Milliner gets all the looks he needed in training camp and practice. That he can't beat out McDougle for the bottom of the roster activated on Sundays is telling. He's not a press man corner and that's what the Jets need to run Bowles defense. 

Thanks for compiling. Not sure what it means without context, though. It feels bad that "only" about half are still active, but is this above or below average? I just don't know enough.

Just at quick glance the draft we took  Coples the Pats got two defensive starters after us in the first round who are both excellent players.

Also our second round picks have been historically bad.

No. It's not. See Milliner gets all the looks he needed in training camp and practice. That he can't beat out McDougle for the bottom of the roster activated on Sundays is telling. He's not a press man corner and that's what the Jets need to run Bowles defense. 

I thought that he injured his wrist in TC and placed on the 8 week IR? 

Calvin Pryor is an example of how much better this coaching staff is at player development. If that kind of growth comes out of Smith and Williams the Jets are clearly on the upswing. A good look at Milner is forthcoming also.

I agree. I'm as disappointed in the downturn this season has taken as anyone, but I still think there's a lot of positives to take from this current regime. Pryor's development is one of them. 

If anything, this thread topic perfectly illustrates how unrealistic our expectations have become this year. This team has drafted very poorly for a while now, and one offseason of big time free agent spending isn't going to suddenly turn things around. It's going to take a couple of good drafts to right this ship. I'm confident that Maccagnan can do it, because his scouting background is solid.

Also I've noticed people are getting on Maccagnan for spending big in free agency, as if he had a choice.  People are forgetting that since Idzik sat on all of that cap money in 2014, the CBA required that we spend big last offseason.

I don't think this franchise was ever worse than when Parcells had two drafts with 10+ picks and if not for grabbing Fabini in the 4th and Jason Ferguson in the 7th round, would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-25 in those drafts.  If a HOF HC can't get more than two players with 20+ picks, it's amazing that Rex was able to net us Richardson, Wilkerson, Powell, Kerley and Pryor with the jury still out on guys like Reilly, Eununwa, Amaro, McDougle, Milliner, Winters and Antonio Allen.

And Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Laveranues Coles, Randy Thomas, James Farrior, Leon Johnson, Dedric Ward. 

Parcell's draft picks weren't all All-pros, for sure, but whet his picks did do was fortify the middle of a roster. Something the Jets did not do as Rex Ryan helped guide personnel.

Also remember that for 2 years the Jets were without 1st round picks (Leon Hess's deal to get Parcells).

Bottom line, if you asked me who I would rather have direct personnel, Rex Ryan or Bill Parcells, the answer is easily hands down Parcells. Let's be real here.

And Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Laveranues Coles, Randy Thomas, James Farrior, Leon Johnson, Dedric Ward. 

Parcell's draft picks weren't all All-pros, for sure, but whet his picks did do was fortify the middle of a roster. Something the Jets did not do as Rex Ryan helped guide personnel.

Also remember that for 2 years the Jets were without 1st round picks (Leon Hess's deal to get Parcells).

Bottom line, if you asked me who I would rather have direct personnel, Rex Ryan or Bill Parcells, the answer is easily hands down Parcells. Let's be real here.

Also the Curtis Martin trade iirc.

I wouldn't let either of them in the draft room.  If there are two cooks that should be in the kitchen and stay the **** out of the grocery store, that's them. 

If you're going to "be real here" then why not talk about the fact that the drafts have very little to do with Rex Ryan.  How quickly everyone forgets that when Mac came on board the talk was that the Jets needed to completely revamp their scouting department.  They are a team that has traditionally not allocated nearly enough resources to scouting or the draft process.  Mac took the job with the promise he'd be allowed to spend more $ on hiring guys to overhaul the whole thing.  Thats why guys like Heimerdinger and Rex Hogan were hired.

Rex was asked for his input and he gave it..  when do we stop pretending he was making the call on who to draft?

Archived