Our Draft during the Rex Ryan era

LIJetsFan

I have to finish it.  I think it will just make me mad, but the guy didn't know much about football. That might make the book that much better from the perspective you guys talk about, but he was also susceptible to certain people's quotes.  Seems like Pettine got his ear plenty.  Enough that people thought he was the brains and the adult.  Doesn't seem that way from what is going on in Cleveland.    

Pettine really only became truly disillusioned when Rex forced the Jets to draft Scotty McKnight.  He felt that it's an honor to be drafted in the league (not to mention it's better financially than it is for a UDFA), and there were other players the Jets had higher on their board, whereas McKnight was barely even on the UDFA radar.  Can you blame him for wanting to be a HC so these kind of situations would be more under his control?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pettine really only became truly disillusioned when Rex forced the Jets to draft Scotty McKnight.  He felt that it's an honor to be drafted in the league (not to mention it's better financially than it is for a UDFA), and there were other players the Jets had higher on their board, whereas McKnight was barely even on the UDFA radar.  Can you blame him for wanting to be a HC so these kind of situations would be more under his control?

Like I said, I didn't finish reading it, but the draft was towards the start of the book.  From what I've read/seen, I don't think that Pettine showed the proper amount of deference or respect for the guy that got him in the league.  Odd thing is, that sounds like I am defending Rex, but that is actually one of his major flaws.  It doesn't seem many people were actually worried about what he thought or scared of what he might do.  That might not be bad if he had a strong GM or front office to keep the rest in line, but if he is the face/boss of the whole thing it is pretty terrible.

Like I said, I didn't finish reading it, but the draft was towards the start of the book.  From what I've read/seen, I don't think that Pettine showed the proper amount of deference or respect for the guy that got him in the league.  Odd thing is, that sounds like I am defending Rex, but that is actually one of his major flaws.  It doesn't seem many people were actually worried about what he thought or scared of what he might do.  That might not be bad if he had a strong GM to keep the rest of the front office in line, but if he is the face/boss of the whole thing it is pretty terrible.

Pettine was very thankful for Rex getting him where he was, and never really said a negative word about him (even on his way out the door).  He just felt he could do the job better. 

And you're right.  Rex scared no one.  You know who else is still happy for what Rex did and has done for him?  Jeff Weeks.  Rex just doesn't have the personality to be a HC, because at some point, you have to piss some people off.  By and large he's not willing to do that. 

The worst mistake made by a Jets GM in HISTORY was Parcells not taking Peyton Manning after his junior season at UT when Manning practically begged him to take him. Parcells traded the top pick and we ended up with James Farrior who played most of his career in Pittsburgh, making Herm Edwards look dumb for trading him.

This is one of those urban legends. The story (which has been denied and debunked by literally every party involved) is that the Mannings came to Parcells and demanded a guarantee that Peyton would be his pick. Allegedly, Parcells wouldn't offer that guarantee (because anti-Parcells types are absurd conspiracy theorists), and Peyton went back to Tennessee with his hat in his hand. The actual story, as told by Archie, Peyton, Parcells and Tom Condon, is that Peyton wanted one last shot at a National Title, so he went back to school, and literally the only reason he even considered leaving in the first place was that he wanted to play for Parcells. Recently, Archie (while discussing Eli) has said that Peyton may have struggled in this market because he's such a thin-skinned, rabbit-eared pussy. Bottom line, Peyton went back to school because he liked nailing that Knoxville ass and he was afraid of New York. None of this exonerates Parcells for trading away Orlando Pace for Farrior, but Parcells was looking for a quick turnaround here and he thought that one OLT wasn't going to help him as much as a few additional draft picks.  

For too many years the Jets have been subjected to GM's that "reach" for talent and a HC that was of no help in personnel decisions. Mike Tannenbaum almost singlehandedly set this franchise back 10 years with his reaches for Vlad Ducasse, Kyle Wilson, Stephen Hill, Quentin Coples and many others. Idzik was even worse, picking injury prone players like Milliner and McDougle. Mac has his work cut out for him for sure cleaning up this mess. The Jets have no players in that golden bracket of being a four year player with experience and upside. All our best players are 30 or older. It may take a long time to get this ship straightened out.

I would not say that wilson was a reach, coples either.  The wrong players to pick sure but they were both rated at least where they were picked going into the draft.  I agree about the rest of what you say though.

Ok so many here are looking for some type of comparison - i was able to quickly get a look at steelers draft history over that period and tried to piece together their hits/misses.  It's noticeable how they always hit on their #1 and they hit much more often on #2 #3 and #4 than we do.

pitt.jpg

Thanks for posting:  :)

Ok so by my count that's 53 picks.  Compared to our 39 that is a pretty telling number right there.

A look at today's roster shows they retained 9 starters, 4 depth players, and 3 on IR.  So only 16 still on the team out of 53, as compared to our 17 out of 39.

But 9 starters as compared to our 5 (two of which are Winters and Davis) is huge, huge, huge.  

Thanks for posting:  :)

Ok so by my count that's 53 picks.  Compared to our 39 that is a pretty telling number right there.

A look at today's roster shows they retained 9 starters, 4 depth players, and 3 on IR.  So only 16 still on the team out of 53, as compared to our 17 out of 39.

But 9 starters as compared to our 5 (two of which are Winters and Davis) is huge, huge, huge.  

Also the more high round hits added more talent - Le'veon, Sanders, Bryant, Shazier - these are all pretty damn good starters too... whereas we really only have Moh and Shel.

Like I said, I didn't finish reading it, but the draft was towards the start of the book.  From what I've read/seen, I don't think that Pettine showed the proper amount of deference or respect for the guy that got him in the league.  Odd thing is, that sounds like I am defending Rex, but that is actually one of his major flaws.  It doesn't seem many people were actually worried about what he thought or scared of what he might do.  That might not be bad if he had a strong GM or front office to keep the rest in line, but if he is the face/boss of the whole thing it is pretty terrible.

Nick Davidoff stayed with Pettine sometimes during the research. But what burned Pettine and understandably so is he was technically  Jeff Weeks' boss. And Jeff Weeks did less than nothing. He refused to use an ipad nor any technology which every team down to high school since about 2008 has been using, to say nothing of college and NFL teams doing so even longer.  And he was allowed to be a complete nonhacker because he is Rex Ryan's drinking buddy. Inthe book Pettine is also paraphrased as being concerned that Rex had become a little too into being Rex Ryan rather than doing his job.Also after the Tebow/Denver game Pettine  basically is shown wanting to punch out Brian Schottenheimer, which remarkably he refrained from so doing. 

Archived