Who will our REAL Qb be and where will we find him???

GREENBEAN

Guys, 

I am just exhausted of this team and the emotional roller coaster they drag us on every season but it seems I'm stuck here as I keep returning for more abuse. I have always been a defensive guy with Gastineau and the sack exchange being the reason I became a Jets fan. I played LB and DE in high school and Flag (SHUT UP! IT WAS AWESOME!!) and I just love a big hit or a big pick six etc. 

That being said I am really starting to succumb to the weight of all the people who laughed at me for the Jets picks over the years and my optimism for our squad the upcoming year. They would say things like " it doesn't matter. You have no QB."  I've heard many people ruin our offseason acid trips with the same talk here on JN and I've defended the D minded approach. 

I'm really thinking that it really doesn't matter for the most part how many first rd picks are on the D line or D backfield. We need a friggin QB. A REAL one and will not win until that happens. I'm done (almost) with defending the defensive philosophy we've had for what feels like decades. We need a damn offense and we need it soon. 

So… who do you guys think will be our QB that can win for us?  Is he even on the horizon?  Is it Petty? Is it some FA or draft pick?  Where the hell are we going to find the guy who is actually going to be a consistent winner for the Jets? Add to that real offensive playmakers as well. 

I haven't given up on the season for what that's worth. I would just really like to see if the guys here have some sort of hopeful outlook toward our future as an offense.

Any thoughts? 

He's coming soon I can feel it he needs to end this QB curse here and become the franchise QB we all yearn for, I want a dynasty I want to win the Super Bowl 5 years in a row!

Let's remember the Pats were dog sh*t for ever before dick head brady. It's really all about getting a legit guy in here . If that ever happens then we can actually have something. Until that happens we won't win. 

Depends on if this fan base lets a QB actually grow into the position or if they continue running guys out of town who aren't pro bowlers within their first 32 games.  Andy Dalton would have been booed out of here within a couple years.

Thats why it's so important Petty not see the field until hopefully 2017.  Need a prospect to get a couple years of learning how to be a pro QB before he's exposed to the maniacs who expect every drafted QB to be Russell Wilson.

I think new regime is moving the right direction.

2015 took a look at Geno ... Saw he s*cked ... Brought in a hold the fort QB for a year or two in Fitz.

They are doing right by Petty by not having thrown him out there while he's still learning the basics of being an NFL QB ... So he will have a chance.

preferably for only a third or less ... But I'd put real consideration into bringing the Tampa backup QB in for up to a second & let him & Petty battle it out in training camp next year

Guys, 

I am just exhausted of this team and the emotional roller coaster they drag us on every season but it seems I'm stuck here as I keep returning for more abuse. I have always been a defensive guy with Gastineau and the sack exchange being the reason I became a Jets fan. I played LB and DE in high school and Flag (SHUT UP! IT WAS AWESOME!!) and I just love a big hit or a big pick six etc. 

That being said I am really starting to succumb to the weight of all the people who laughed at me for the Jets picks over the years and my optimism for our squad the upcoming year. They would say things like " it doesn't matter. You have no QB."  I've heard many people ruin our offseason acid trips with the same talk here on JN and I've defended the D minded approach. 

I'm really thinking that it really doesn't matter for the most part how many first rd picks are on the D line or D backfield. We need a friggin QB. A REAL one and will not win until that happens. I'm done (almost) with defending the defensive philosophy we've had for what feels like decades. We need a damn offense and we need it soon. 

So… who do you guys think will be our QB that can win for us?  Is he even on the horizon?  Is it Petty? Is it some FA or draft pick?  Where the hell are we going to find the guy who is actually going to be a consistent winner for the Jets? Add to that real offensive playmakers as well. 

I haven't given up on the season for what that's worth. I would just really like to see if the guys here have some sort of hopeful outlook toward our future as an offense.

Any thoughts? 

Wait for Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger to retire.

Really that is what it comes down to. Since 2001 only Rich Gannon and Joe Flacco have been able to break this holy trinity of QB's. I don't think alot of people realize that some really good QB like Phillip Rivers, Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck, Steve McNair and probably a couple others have not been able to break through because of them.

The odds of getting a QB like those three is pretty rare. You draft a QB, hope he becomes one of them but build a team around him so that if your QB turns out to be a Flacco, or a Rivers you have shot.

Who needs a real QB when we have a fake one in Geno.  We just need some deceptive offensive plays. Fake it till you make it. Get a cardboard cut out of Geno under center and have Geno take the snap from under the TE.....things like that.  Run quadruple reverses, the wildcat, trade for Austin (his WR from WV) and throw screens all day to improve his pass percentage, run QB draws, have him hold onto the ball and get those all important ruffing the QB penalties.  That'll confuse the defense.  Who needs a rocket arm, or pocket awareness, leadership, moxie, a will to win, an uncanny abiity to make others around him better. We have Geno who can piss off defenses and draw unsportsmanlike penalties, flip off fans (a rare skill), get punched in the head and smile in the papers the next day. We have Geno, a real wannabe QB who gets his wardrobe at K Mart and sports it proudly at post game press conferences.  I don't get this thread.      

Wait for Brady, Manning and Roethlisberger to retire.

Really that is what it comes down to. Since 2001 only Rich Gannon and Joe Flacco have been able to break this holy trinity of QB's. I don't think alot of people realize that some really good QB like Phillip Rivers, Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck, Steve McNair and probably a couple others have not been able to break through because of them.

The odds of getting a QB like those three is pretty rare. You draft a QB, hope he becomes one of them but build a team around him so that if your QB turns out to be a Flacco, or a Rivers you have shot.

Not so sure I can agree with your facts there, may want to revisit the QBs that have won Super Bowls

Not so sure I can agree with your facts there, may want to revisit the QBs that have won Super Bowls

Let me rephrase it then

Since 2001 the only AFC QB's not named Brady, Peyton Manning and Roethlisberger to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl are Rich Gannon and Flacco

I'm sorta holding my hand up to the screen trying to shield my eyes from the totality of Pac's post so I don't take all the idiocy full-force in the face, but can someone tell me if he's implying that what Sanchez and Pennington needed was more time?

Pennington needed Rex' D and Sanchez needed weapons.  Go back to sleep.

It starts with how they feel about Petty. If they think he's legit, they probably don't make a big move for a QB this year, instead using those resources to build the team around him. 

Next question would be what they think about veteran QBs who might be available vs. the draft. I'm not too excited about Kaepernick or anyone whose name ends in -ford, but they may have a favorite there. Mike Glennon will be available for trade this year (unlike last year), and they'll have to weigh the value there. 

They'll probably be drafting in the 14-19 range, maybe...  ? Is there going to be a QB there? (I don't follow college football, I don't know). They have a couple potentially large bargaining chips in Wilkerson and Richardson if their goal is to move up. 

We've been suffering thru some really bad QB play for a long time, just seems like maybe we're do to get lucky. 

If we want a QB, we need to bring people in the building who know how to identify and develop a QB. 

I don't believe we have that guy in the building right now. This franchise and the fan base has prioritized defense forever, and expect to luck into a top 5 QB. But we build defenses that are prohibitive of us getting top 3 picks in the drafts in most years.

I have no confidence we have anyone who can identify nor develop a QB in our FO or coaching staff right now.

My guess is we target a big named QB in free agency or through a trade. It wouldn't surprise me if Macc tries to make a trade for Flacco or Stafford or makes a call to Cutler or Brees after they are cut. I could also see him stockpiling smaller name QBs similar to what he did during free agency before this season at the LB position. Then he will also likely draft a QB in the first 4 rounds let them all compete and find us a starter. Atleast that is my best guess as to how he will handle the problem.

Let me rephrase it then

Since 2001 the only AFC QB's not named Brady, Peyton Manning and Roethlisberger to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl are Rich Gannon and Flacco

Huh, that is an interesting stat then, Sorry I missed the AFC thing. Have to get a franchise QB to win the NFL regardless of cost. It is why I have such an issue with Fitz starting. Possibility of Fitz being franchise guy: 0%. Possibility of Geno being franchise guy: Maybe 5% but non-zero. See what you have with new OC and coaching staff and if he proves he is not the guy, draft another and then see if Petty is the guy. Never settle for veteran JAG. Ever,

It starts with how they feel about Petty. If they think he's legit, they probably don't make a big move for a QB this year, instead using those resources to build the team around him. 

I think Idzik's biggest mistake was not going after Bridgewater or Carr in 2014, even though Geno had done absolutely nothing to make anyone think he was the guy long-term; I think this would be a similar mistake. The track record for QBs taken where Petty was taken is abysmal, so regardless of how they feel about Petty, if they get a shot at another guy, I think they absolutely have to take it.

Archived