Who will our REAL Qb be and where will we find him???

GREENBEAN

It starts with how they feel about Petty. If they think he's legit, they probably don't make a big move for a QB this year, instead using those resources to build the team around him. 

Next question would be what they think about veteran QBs who might be available vs. the draft. I'm not too excited about Kaepernick or anyone whose name ends in -ford, but they may have a favorite there. Mike Glennon will be available for trade this year (unlike last year), and they'll have to weigh the value there. 

They'll probably be drafting in the 14-19 range, maybe...  ? Is there going to be a QB there? (I don't follow college football, I don't know). They have a couple potentially large bargaining chips in Wilkerson and Richardson if their goal is to move up. 

We've been suffering thru some really bad QB play for a long time, just seems like maybe we're do to get lucky. 

I think with that statement you and Villian are officially engaged.  Congratulations. 

I think we should take a look at Zach Mettenberger in the offseason.  I know the Titans went and drafted Marriotta but I just think they felt they had to with his talent level.  He played well last year.  I wouldn't be apposed to getting rid of Geno, resigning Fitz, signing Mettenberger, keeping Petty and just letting them battle it out for the starting job.

I think Idzik's biggest mistake was not going after Bridgewater or Carr in 2014, even though Geno had done absolutely nothing to make anyone think he was the guy long-term; I think this would be a similar mistake. The track record for QBs taken where Petty was taken is abysmal, so regardless of how they feel about Petty, if they get a shot at another guy, I think they absolutely have to take it.

I would certainly have no problem with them taking a QB in the first round whether they like Petty or not. I think the question becomes cloudier when comes to discussing trading for (and paying out a large contract to) a vet, or making a big move up in the draft. Should they make that kind of move if they're really thinking Petty's got a legitimate shot to be a quality starter? 

Depends on if this fan base lets a QB actually grow into the position or if they continue running guys out of town who aren't pro bowlers within their first 32 games.  Andy Dalton would have been booed out of here within a couple years.

Thats why it's so important Petty not see the field until hopefully 2017.  Need a prospect to get a couple years of learning how to be a pro QB before he's exposed to the maniacs who expect every drafted QB to be Russell Wilson.

He's one we could have had. So is Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Brett Favre and a few others that shall go unmentioned. I don't think the Jets KNOW what a good QB looks like. Neither do a lot of teams. Some get lucky and have a franchise QB right there when they hit rock bottom. Dallas with Aikman, Indy with Luck, AND Manning. The Giants with Eli, but when the Jets hit rock bottom we get Keyshawn Johnson. Others get lucky like NE who took Brady at 199, the same year the Jets took Pennington in round one. Bryce Petty is my last hope as a Jets fan. I am 60 years old with a bad heart and this team makes it ache even more, so I doubt if I have a 'five year plan' in me.

He's one we could have had. So is Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, Brett Favre and a few others that shall go unmentioned. I don't think the Jets KNOW what a good QB looks like. Neither do a lot of teams. Some get lucky and have a franchise QB right there when they hit rock bottom. Dallas with Aikman, Indy with Luck, AND Manning. The Giants with Eli, but when the Jets hit rock bottom we get Keyshawn Johnson. Others get lucky like NE who took Brady at 199, the same year the Jets took Pennington in round one. Bryce Petty is my last hope as a Jets fan. I am 60 years old with a bad heart and this team makes it ache even more, so I doubt if I have a 'five year plan' in me.

Lay off the sauce, let the Rex hate go, and say no to the order being super sized.  boom -- just gave you blueprint for 30 more years of jet fandom.  enjoy!

He hasn't been born yet

It hasn't been 9 months since Sheldon told us to stop complaining about Jets QBs and to go and give birth to one?

We'll find him on a baseball field.

Like Russell Wilson?  <pounds table>

Have to hope Conner Cook gets busted at some party before the draft so the Jets can pick him in the teens to keep him in green for his career...

Isn't that where he is going without the party?

If we want a QB, we need to bring people in the building who know how to identify and develop a QB. 

I don't believe we have that guy in the building right now. This franchise and the fan base has prioritized defense forever, and expect to luck into a top 5 QB. But we build defenses that are prohibitive of us getting top 3 picks in the drafts in most years.

I have no confidence we have anyone who can identify nor develop a QB in our FO or coaching staff right now.

I know you have inside information, but why do you say that?  I am not sure why a completely new front office should be blamed for the sins of the previous.  Those were Parcells holdovers that you are complaining about.   This is a new game.  Complaining about prioritizing defense because we finish out of the top 10?  C'mon.  You are blaming them for not tanking?

I think Idzik's biggest mistake was not going after Bridgewater or Carr in 2014, even though Geno had done absolutely nothing to make anyone think he was the guy long-term; I think this would be a similar mistake. The track record for QBs taken where Petty was taken is abysmal, so regardless of how they feel about Petty, if they get a shot at another guy, I think they absolutely have to take it.

I agree.  Petty is nothing to me.  He is a lottery ticket that we will probably be flushing down the toilet in a couple of years.  I am not banking on him and I wouldn't have banked on Geno.  I don't know what I thought of Carr.  I liked Bridgewater and probably would have jumped at either if they lasted to our second.  I do think there is a bit too much to this "draft one 'til you find one" nonsense.  You will end up with 3 young QBs and have to cut one before you know if he actually is one.

I would certainly have no problem with them taking a QB in the first round whether they like Petty or not. I think the question becomes cloudier when comes to discussing trading for (and paying out a large contract to) a vet, or making a big move up in the draft. Should they make that kind of move if they're really thinking Petty's got a legitimate shot to be a quality starter? 

I'd definitely take a guy in the first, including moving up, if they think he's the goods. The one thing the last 6+ years have shown is that it doesn't matter how good the other 52 guys are if your QB sucks, so I'd rather err on the side of swinging too often than standing pat and crossing our fingers on Petty. The one move I would not be in favor of is bringing in a vet, either by trade or FA, but that's mostly because any of the vets who'll be available are crap, in my opinion.

I know you have inside information, but why do you say that?  I am not sure why a completely new front office should be blamed for the sins of the previous.  Those were Parcells holdovers that you are complaining about.   This is a new game.  Complaining about prioritizing defense because we finish out of the top 10?  C'mon.  You are blaming them for not tanking?

For the record, I no longer have inside information, I did, but that is now gone.

I say this because I don't trust Gailey one bit to identify or develop a real QB, I don't think we have any reason to think Bowles can, our QB coach was like a TE coach or something crazy like that, and as far as I know Mac has never identified a QB. Its entirely possible that there are new scouts that can, but I am really talking more about the coaching staff and the GM.

I am of the opinion that identifying one is half the battle, the other half is properly developing them.

I'd definitely take a guy in the first, including moving up, if they think he's the goods. The one thing the last 6+ years have shown is that it doesn't matter how good the other 52 guys are if your QB sucks, so I'd rather err on the side of swinging too often than standing pat and crossing our fingers on Petty. The one move I would not be in favor of is bringing in a vet, either by trade or FA, but that's mostly because any of the vets who'll be available are crap, in my opinion.

I certainly agree with you, there. 

I agree.  Petty is nothing to me.  He is a lottery ticket that we will probably be flushing down the toilet in a couple of years.  I am not banking on him and I wouldn't have banked on Geno.  I don't know what I thought of Carr.  I liked Bridgewater and probably would have jumped at either if they lasted to our second.  I do think there is a bit too much to this "draft one 'til you find one" nonsense.  You will end up with 3 young QBs and have to cut one before you know if he actually is one.

Pretty much. The primary benefit of taking Petty in the 4th (or Geno in the 2nd, for that matter) is that it doesn't preclude you from taking another QB the next season, which is precisely why passing on Bridgewater/Carr was such a disaster.

In terms of specifics, I was super-high on Bridgewater and thought Carr would be worse than his brother. I also thought Matt Ryan was Cade McNown 2.0 and Josh Freeman would be a poor man's Roethlisberger, so anything I say about QBs beyond "we should get a good one" can be safely ignored.

Ok you can weep after this

Talk about a tradition of stellar quarterbacking. Under the trio of Bart Starr, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers, the Packers are a whopping 157 games over .500, including playoffs.

I liked the Packers better when the Majik man was the QB.

Pretty much. The primary benefit of taking Petty in the 4th (or Geno in the 2nd, for that matter) is that it doesn't preclude you from taking another QB the next season, which is precisely why passing on Bridgewater/Carr was such a disaster.

In terms of specifics, I was super-high on Bridgewater and thought Carr would be worse than his brother. I also thought Matt Ryan was Cade McNown 2.0 and Josh Freeman would be a poor man's Roethlisberger, so anything I say about QBs beyond "we should get a good one" can be safely ignored.

Wow, We agreed on Bridgewater and Carr, but I liked Ryan.  I remember saying we should move up even though I actually liked Gholston (watched one Ohio State game that year - vs. Michigan where he went berserk)  I never had much opinion on Freeman, but I am still shocked at the speed he went from prospect to disappeared.

For the record, I no longer have inside information, I did, but that is now gone.

I say this because I don't trust Gailey one bit to identify or develop a real QB, I don't think we have any reason to think Bowles can, our QB coach was like a TE coach or something crazy like that, and as far as I know Mac has never identified a QB. Its entirely possible that there are new scouts that can, but I am really talking more about the coaching staff and the GM.

I am of the opinion that identifying one is half the battle, the other half is properly developing them.

I agree with this point here.  We need to identify the men who can one spot talent and two develop that talent,  The pick and pray method along with the overpay the aging vet who needs a change of scenery modes has led us to purgatory.  

I think we should take a look at Zach Mettenberger in the offseason.  I know the Titans went and drafted Marriotta but I just think they felt they had to with his talent level.  He played well last year.  I wouldn't be apposed to getting rid of Geno, resigning Fitz, signing Mettenberger, keeping Petty and just letting them battle it out for the starting job.

Big LSU fan and love Mett's arm, but he'd get destroyed behind this current Oline. He's about as mobile as a cement pillar. The Jets need someone with Fitz's pocket awareness/mobility and with Zach's arm - not an easy task to find one of those.

We can all "hope" Petty becomes the guy.  But here is a fact.  The best 4th round QBs in the last 20 years are David Garrard, Kyle Orton,  and possibly Kirk Cousins.  Forgive me if I don't hold my breath. 

The next time you have a top 6 pick with a Mariota nearby... TRADE UP!

Are the Rams really much better  than the Skins now after the RG3 trade failed?!?!

No such thing as too much for a shot at franchise QBs.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/nfl-draft-round-round-quarterback-data.

I am the exact same (except much worse) when it comes to predicting good QBs.  Embarrassed to say I actually really liked Jamarcus Russell when he came out of LSU. The guy had the best arm I'd ever seen. In my defense, I had no idea what a moron the guy was though.  Sadly, I also liked Chad Henne.

In short, I have given up trying to analyze college talent and now put my trust in GMs.  

I am the exact same (except much worse) when it comes to predicting good QBs.  Embarrassed to say I actually really liked Jamarcus Russell when he came out of LSU. The guy had the best arm I'd ever seen. In my defense, I had no idea what a moron the guy was though.  Sadly, I also liked Chad Henne.

In short, I have given up trying to analyze college talent and now put my trust in GMs.  

I liked Henne too!

Petty doesn't have a legitimate chance to be a quality starter. Taking a quarterback in the fourth round is a complete waste of a draft pick. Letting it factor into additional decisions only compounds the stupid.

Before anyone worries about QB, this team needs to get other things fixed....beginning with the establishment of a semblance of a running game, and a decent, healthy center would certainly be nice, and how about some wide receivers who can get open and catch easy passes, never mind the tough ones, and a special teams unit that rises to the level of mediocrity (perhaps a bit of a pipe dream), and what about a defense that can make routine tackles and shut down a back-up quarterback and also not get embarrassed by the wildcat, or a coaching staff that doesn't constantly put its team in disadvantageous positions and can manage the play clock properly....take care of these things and then you can talk to me about the QB position.

Guys, 

I am just exhausted of this team and the emotional roller coaster they drag us on every season but it seems I'm stuck here as I keep returning for more abuse. I have always been a defensive guy with Gastineau and the sack exchange being the reason I became a Jets fan. I played LB and DE in high school and Flag (SHUT UP! IT WAS AWESOME!!) and I just love a big hit or a big pick six etc. 

That being said I am really starting to succumb to the weight of all the people who laughed at me for the Jets picks over the years and my optimism for our squad the upcoming year. They would say things like " it doesn't matter. You have no QB."  I've heard many people ruin our offseason acid trips with the same talk here on JN and I've defended the D minded approach. 

I'm really thinking that it really doesn't matter for the most part how many first rd picks are on the D line or D backfield. We need a friggin QB. A REAL one and will not win until that happens. I'm done (almost) with defending the defensive philosophy we've had for what feels like decades. We need a damn offense and we need it soon. 

So… who do you guys think will be our QB that can win for us?  Is he even on the horizon?  Is it Petty? Is it some FA or draft pick?  Where the hell are we going to find the guy who is actually going to be a consistent winner for the Jets? Add to that real offensive playmakers as well. 

I haven't given up on the season for what that's worth. I would just really like to see if the guys here have some sort of hopeful outlook toward our future as an offense.

Any thoughts? 

I didn't want to start another QB thread, but I'm all in on Villain's solution, but under 1 must condition.  Todd Bowles needs to fire Chan Gailey, and hire a Bruce Arians offensive decipal off his coaching tree.  Marshall can be used in the Larry Fitz role, Decker in the Floyd roll, and D Smith in the J Brown role.  Boom if Glennon is half decent with that arm getting the balls to those WR's, and picks up the offense like Palmer has, and Big Ben before him the Jets could be well on their way to being an elite offense in 2016.  Yes they would also have to use some draft, and salary resources on protecting Glennon as the OL is in serious need of a rebuild, but that could be the main focus of the off season after you land Glennon, the holes in the D won't matter as much, it's a point scoring league, out score your opponent, and that's what a Bruce Arians offense does, it also gets you a lead when ran right which makes playing D so much more simple, and doesn't require 1st round draft picks at every god damn position, just let the guys up front pin their ears back, and go get the QB, and let Revis, Pryor, Skrine, and company make plays on poorly thrown passes forced because team is down, and the rush got home.

Man me, and Villain for GM this January, we will sign the OC, and trade for Glennon, and then hand the reigns back to Macc.  Sound good @Villain The Foe.

I'm sorta holding my hand up to the screen trying to shield my eyes from the totality of Pac's post so I don't take all the idiocy full-force in the face, but can someone tell me if he's implying that what Sanchez and Pennington needed was more time?

or, in Pennington's case, more shoulders.

I didn't want to start another QB thread, but I'm all in on Villain's solution, but under 1 must condition.  Todd Bowles needs to fire Chan Gailey, and hire a Bruce Arians offensive decipal off his coaching tree.  Marshall can be used in the Larry Fitz role, Decker in the Floyd roll, and D Smith in the J Brown role.  Boom if Glennon is half decent with that arm getting the balls to those WR's, and picks up the offense like Palmer has, and Big Ben before him the Jets could be well on their way to being an elite offense in 2016.  Yes they would also have to use some draft, and salary resources on protecting Glennon as the OL is in serious need of a rebuild, but that could be the main focus of the off season after you land Glennon, the holes in the D won't matter as much, it's a point scoring league, out score your opponent, and that's what a Bruce Arians offense does, it also gets you a lead when ran right which makes playing D so much more simple, and doesn't require 1st round draft picks at every god damn position, just let the guys up front pin their ears back, and go get the QB, and let Revis, Pryor, Skrine, and company make plays on poorly thrown passes forced because team is down, and the rush got home.

Man me, and Villain for GM this January, we will sign the OC, and trade for Glennon, and then hand the reigns back to Macc.  Sound good @Villain The Foe.

No one would mind you starting as many QB threads as you like when you're discussing our future QB and mentioning that guy Villain in the process. 

I think you and Villian knows what needs to be done here. 

Archived