Simplify things for me

MetsJets1962

From #5 seed downwards, as things stand ...

Pitt - 1 game up on Jets, tough schedule left with 31 wins by the teams they've yet to play. @ Hawks, @ Bengals, vs Broncos are all games we should root for them to lose, which would make them at best 9-7. Outside of that they have the Colts, Ravens and Browns, don't see them losing any of those.

KC - same record as Jets, weak schedule remaining with 20 wins by the teams they've yet to play. Double header to come vs. Raiders, that'll be key, plus a game vs. Bills this week. Outside of that they have Ravens, Chargers, Browns. If they sweep Oakland I reckon they'll be in the playoffs; split and they've still got a good chance, esp. if they beat the Bills at home this week

Texans - same record as Jets, hold the tie-breaker so we need to finish ahead on record. Upcoming schedule is very similar to the Jets, with games vs. Buffalo, Patsies and Titans, and a few middling teams (Saints, Colts, Jags). Total of 30 wins by the teams they've yet to play (10 of those by one team, all others at 0.500 or worse). Given the tie breaker we should probably root for them to win the division (as we own the tie breaker vs. the Colts). And if they can knock off the Bills en route, that would help us out

Bills - 26 wins by the teams they've yet to play. No "gimmes" though - Chiefs, Texans and Jets all 5-5, and a three game stretch vs. NFC East teams who will all be battling hard for their division. Could still come down to that Week 17 matchup

Jets - 29 wins by the teams we've yet to play. 3 AFC East games (one each) with the Phins and Bills being key to playoff hopes. Giants, Cowboys and Titans round out the rest, with Giants being an "away" game. If you assume we lose to NE, we need to win 4 out of the other 5 to have a chance; all 5 would pretty much see us in at 10-6, but I think that's out of our reach right now. Have to win at least one of Cowboys and Giants games, and not lose any of the AFC games (other than NE).

Oakland / Jax / Phins - all at 4-6, and we currently have the tie-break over Jax and Phins. Beat Phins on Sunday should finish their playoff hopes (and a loss would likely finish ours), and I don't see Jax finishing on a better record than us. Oakland can only afford one more loss, and have 2 games vs. KC, plus @ Denver, vs. Green Bay. I think they've had it, to be honest, but could play spoiler for us against KC.

So ... if we mostly take care of business and get to 9-7 (beating both Miami and Buffalo on the way), we need Texans to take the AFC South and either KC to slip up (Oakland can help) or Pitt to struggle with their stretch run. I see Pitt ending 9-7 at worst, could easily be 10-6, looking most like a lock at present.

But at the end of the day, we need to take care of our own games or we'll be looking towards the draft in the next week or so. Again.

Jags are young and hungry for wins I wouldn't sleep on them. I think they will keep improving and be a threat for the next few years atleast.

I don't disagree. If they can bring in some offensive line help, they'll be challenging for that division as early as next year. And I don't think that it's unreasonable to think they can win that awful division this year. I just think between the Jets, Steelers, Bills, Chiefs, etc. it will be hard to get a second team from that division in, especially with them all having to play one another again.

When we were 4-1 we were in ridiculously good shape for the playoffs. If we had even just gone 2-2 after the NE loss we would still be in the driver's seat. As it st as nds though, we are in a very bad spot now ft or tiebreakers. Even if we finish 9-7 we likely miss the playoffs. But does anyone actually think this team will go 4-2 the rest of the way anyway? We need to essentially go 5-1. Our chances are microscopic. A liss to the Dolphins basically ends our season.

When we were 4-1 we were in ridiculously good shape for the playoffs. If we had even just gone 2-2 after the NE loss we would still be in the driver's seat. As it st as nds though, we are in a very bad spot now ft or tiebreakers. Even if we finish 9-7 we likely miss the playoffs. But does anyone actually think this team will go 4-2 the rest of the way anyway? We need to essentially go 5-1. Our chances are microscopic. A liss to the Dolphins basically ends our season.

In 2006 with a rookie Head Coach the Jets were 5-5. Ended up winning 5 of the last 6 and making the playoffs. It can be done!

In 2006 with a rookie Head Coach the Jets were 5-5. Ended up winning 5 of the last 6 and making the playoffs. It can be done!

also 5-5 in 1991 and made playoffs, 5-5 in 2002 and won division and 4-6 w/ a rookie HC in 2009 and made the title game.  Long way to go.

From #5 seed downwards, as things stand ...

Pitt - 1 game up on Jets, tough schedule left with 31 wins by the teams they've yet to play. @ Hawks, @ Bengals, vs Broncos are all games we should root for them to lose, which would make them at best 9-7. Outside of that they have the Colts, Ravens and Browns, don't see them losing any of those.

KC - same record as Jets, weak schedule remaining with 20 wins by the teams they've yet to play. Double header to come vs. Raiders, that'll be key, plus a game vs. Bills this week. Outside of that they have Ravens, Chargers, Browns. If they sweep Oakland I reckon they'll be in the playoffs; split and they've still got a good chance, esp. if they beat the Bills at home this week

Texans - same record as Jets, hold the tie-breaker so we need to finish ahead on record. Upcoming schedule is very similar to the Jets, with games vs. Buffalo, Patsies and Titans, and a few middling teams (Saints, Colts, Jags). Total of 30 wins by the teams they've yet to play (10 of those by one team, all others at 0.500 or worse). Given the tie breaker we should probably root for them to win the division (as we own the tie breaker vs. the Colts). And if they can knock off the Bills en route, that would help us out

Bills - 26 wins by the teams they've yet to play. No "gimmes" though - Chiefs, Texans and Jets all 5-5, and a three game stretch vs. NFC East teams who will all be battling hard for their division. Could still come down to that Week 17 matchup

Jets - 29 wins by the teams we've yet to play. 3 AFC East games (one each) with the Phins and Bills being key to playoff hopes. Giants, Cowboys and Titans round out the rest, with Giants being an "away" game. If you assume we lose to NE, we need to win 4 out of the other 5 to have a chance; all 5 would pretty much see us in at 10-6, but I think that's out of our reach right now. Have to win at least one of Cowboys and Giants games, and not lose any of the AFC games (other than NE).

Oakland / Jax / Phins - all at 4-6, and we currently have the tie-break over Jax and Phins. Beat Phins on Sunday should finish their playoff hopes (and a loss would likely finish ours), and I don't see Jax finishing on a better record than us. Oakland can only afford one more loss, and have 2 games vs. KC, plus @ Denver, vs. Green Bay. I think they've had it, to be honest, but could play spoiler for us against KC.

So ... if we mostly take care of business and get to 9-7 (beating both Miami and Buffalo on the way), we need Texans to take the AFC South and either KC to slip up (Oakland can help) or Pitt to struggle with their stretch run. I see Pitt ending 9-7 at worst, could easily be 10-6, looking most like a lock at present.

But at the end of the day, we need to take care of our own games or we'll be looking towards the draft in the next week or so. Again.

Eloquently put

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I'd revisit this based on Romo's injury ... suddenly the Dallas game takes on a different aspect, much more winnable with Cassel under center, and it's also more likely that Dallas will be playing out the string rather than in the thick of the divisional battle. (Though it would be most helpful if Cassell could knock off the Bills the week after they lose to us ;)).

Certainly makes the remaining run that little bit less difficult. Poor old Miami just had the unlucky timing of catching the Boys when Romo was healthy.

chiefs have an easy schedule, and the steelers have the best QB of the bunch coming back, so I am really pulling against both of those teams right now

In an odd way, a Buffalo win this week might be better for us than a KC win. Other than Buffalo, the only other real threat to KC is Oakland.

In an odd way, a Buffalo win this week might be better for us than a KC win. Other than Buffalo, the only other real threat to KC is Oakland.

I agree, they are one of the tough teams KC has left and the jets can beat them in week 17

Archived