Anyone Hear Gary Myers On Francesa?

TuscanyTile2

He was interviewed for his new book about Brady vs Manning but he talked some Jets football

First he mentioned a story I've heard before (but some may not know) of how Peyton could have left Tennessee after his junior season when the Jets had the #1 overall pick.  Apparently he conveyed to Parcells (I think it was via his dad Archie) that he would leave early if he was given a guarantee the Jets would take him and not trade the pick.  Parcells wouldn't give the guarantee so Peyton came back for his senior year.

The FAR crazier story that I'd never heard before is that, in 2000, when Parcells was the GM only (no longer the coach), the Jets drafted Pennington as one of their 4 1st rounders (in addition to Abraham, Ellis, and Becht).  In the 5th or 6th round, one of the scouts essentially did the "bang the table" routine to try to get Parcells to draft Tom Brady.  Because the Jets drafted Chaddy-cakes in the 1st round, however, Parcells wasn't going to draft another QB in the same draft so he said "nope".

So we missed out on Favre by 1 pick.  Missed out on Peyton for not guaranteeing we'd take him.  And missed out on Brady because we already drafted noodle arm.  This franchise is about as "star crossed" as it gets.

I think this is the "direct download link":

http://download.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/dA/d7/d0/dO/1A70O_3.MP3?show=WFAN+Podcasts&category=Sports+%26+Recreation&callsign=WFANAM&market=New+York&awCollectionId=841&awEpisodeId=564927

Note I got it from "Wednesday, November 25th", interview at the URL below.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio/wfan-audio/

"Mike Francesa with Gary Myers.  Mike is joined by Gary Myers to talk Brady/Manning."

He was interviewed for his new book about Brady vs Manning but he talked some Jets football

First he mentioned a story I've heard before (but some may not know) of how Peyton could have left Tennessee after his junior season when the Jets had the #1 overall pick.  Apparently he conveyed to Parcells (I think it was via his dad Archie) that he would leave early if he was given a guarantee the Jets would take him and not trade the pick.  Parcells wouldn't give the guarantee so Peyton came back for his senior year.

The FAR crazier story that I'd never heard before is that, in 2000, when Parcells was the GM only (no longer the coach), the Jets drafted Pennington as one of their 4 1st rounders (in addition to Abraham, Ellis, and Becht).  In the 5th or 6th round, one of the scouts essentially did the "bang the table" routine to try to get Parcells to draft Tom Brady.  Because the Jets drafted Chaddy-cakes in the 1st round, however, Parcells wasn't going to draft another QB in the same draft so he said "nope".

So we missed out on Favre by 1 pick.  Missed out on Peyton for not guaranteeing we'd take him.  And missed out on Brady because we already drafted noodle arm.  This franchise is about as "star crossed" as it gets.

I have heard variations of this story before, but not quite as strong as the bang the table.

In my opinion, there was no way in hell Brady would have been Brady had the Jets drafted him. Edwards and Hackett were never going to be able to groom him the way Bellichick did. That said, even just keeping him from NE would have been very beneficial to us.

Start at 18:14

Jesse Kaye one of the most highly respected of the Jets Scouts - from the Midwest - basically gets on the table in the Jets draft room and is pleading with Parcells.  "Bill I love this QB from Michigan.  He's a big-time player.  He was 20-5 as a starter."  Now I'm getting this from somebody who was in the room.  This absolutely happened. "I know we took Pennington.  You've got to take this kid.  It's the 6th round.  What's the big deal?  I love him".  Bill goes "Nope".

There have been about 387 personnel men who allegedly banged the table for Brady. Most recently, Charlie Casserly said he "wanted to" take Brady in the first. They're all full of sh*t.

No way any GM worth his weight in salt would have drafted Tom Brady in the 1st round of the 2000 draft.  The draft doesn't work that way.  He probably had a late round/FA draft grade. 

There is a very good chance that Tom Brady would be out of the league if drafted by the jets that year.  This league is all about getting the right break and oppo at the right time.  Tons of potentially good to great players never got that break or got hurt.  There are your true franchise can't miss guys from day one but there are are lots of guys coming in and doing great things due to circumstance.  If Trent Green does not get hurt we never hear of Kurt Warner, if 2 or 3 Sanf QB's don't get hurt we never hear of Jeff Garcia.  A 6th round Qb is a real long shot to ever even be given the chance, on top of that he had to fall into a system that suited his game.  If Brady did not go to the pats, if Bledsoe had not gotten flattened he may never have turned out to be the guy he is.

parcells and archie have disputed the peyton myth. 

And they are friends not surprising..:rolleyes: Peyton's mother said he waited to hear from Parcells but never did so he went back to school.. The Tuna who said he would coach for just 3 years was never going to use the 1st pick in the draft on a rookie QB he always was going to trade down to pick up more picks which is exactly what he did.. Any one notice when Eli came out he went to a coach from the Parcells tree and to NY??

There is a very good chance that Tom Brady would be out of the league if drafted by the jets that year.  This league is all about getting the right break and oppo at the right time.  Tons of potentially good to great players never got that break or got hurt.  There are your true franchise can't miss guys from day one but there are are lots of guys coming in and doing great things due to circumstance.  If Trent Green does not get hurt we never hear of Kurt Warner, if 2 or 3 Sanf QB's don't get hurt we never hear of Jeff Garcia.  A 6th round Qb is a real long shot to ever even be given the chance, on top of that he had to fall into a system that suited his game.  If Brady did not go to the pats, if Bledsoe had not gotten flattened he may never have turned out to be the guy he is.

Not if the whole BB and company stayed put instead of going to NE..  BTW Jeff Garcia won the Grey cup playing in Canada plus the Canadian league MVP award so it's not like he was working in a grocery store like Warner.. You should know that living in Canada..LOL

I have heard variations of this story before, but not quite as strong as the bang the table.

In my opinion, there was no way in hell Brady would have been Brady had the Jets drafted him. Edwards and Hackett were never going to be able to groom him the way Bellichick did. That said, even just keeping him from NE would have been very beneficial to us.

Heck, they had to be forced to play Pennington over the immortal Tory Woodbury. And Pennington fit their dink and dunk WCO crap to a tee. Asking Testaverde to run the pinpoint WCO is like hiring Claude Monet to paint your garage.

I thought the same way until I heard the Myers interview.  Apparently the Pats loved Brady and Belichick wanted to start him straight out of camp in year 2.  However, Kraft loved Bledsoe and Belichick didn't want to bench a fan's hero QB in Bledsoe again after doing so to Bernie Kosar when BB coached in Cleveland.

Not if the whole BB and company stayed put instead of going to NE..  BTW Jeff Garcia won the Grey cup playing in Canada plus the Canadian league MVP award so it's not like he was working in a grocery store like Warner.. You should know that living in Canada..LOL

Yeah I'm aware of Garcia as I know the CFL probably better than anyone on the site.  He did NOT come up here with any more hoopla than any other new QB.  He was well down the depth chart when sanf had about 3 injuries and he got his shot.

Want to know one of the big Jet fails?  Not giving Ricky Ray a proper shot when he went down there.  When there was an injury they went to brooks friggin bollinger and alas he didn;t get hurt so ray just stood around as the 3rd guy getting 3rd reps for his two years there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Yeah I'm aware of Garcia as I know the CFL probably better than anyone on the site.  He did NOT come up here with any more hoopla than any other new QB.  He was well down the depth chart when sanf had about 3 injuries and he got his shot.

Want to know one of the big Jet fails?  Not giving Ricky Ray a proper shot when he went down there.  When there was an injury they went to brooks friggin bollinger and alas he didn;t get hurt so ray just stood around as the 3rd guy getting 3rd reps for his two years there.

I liked Ricky Ray as well but I like Garcia's wife better..:P

carmelladecesare.jpg

this

except that they groomed Chad who had less physical talent in a,really good QB until his limitations and injuries caught up with him.  

Agree.

Brady has always had great drive and intangibles but I think he's the type of guy who needed the right situation to develop. The Pats was the perfect spot for him. If he'd gone to the Jets, Browns, Redskins etc. no way he ends up with the career he had.

Parcells was a great coach but Robert Kraft was right for not letting him "shop for the groceries". He sucked at personnel.

Agree.

Brady has always had great drive and intangibles but I think he's the type of guy who needed the right situation to develop. The Pats was the perfect spot for him. If he'd gone to the Jets, Browns, Redskins etc. no way he ends up with the career he had.

I disagree. A great player is a great player. He had less than a year and a half to 'develop'. He was thrown into the mix in desperation because of the Bledsoe injury. You can't teach the kind of head Brady has for the game, plus his accuracy and leadership are things he showed in college. He would have been great as a Jets and would have gotten his shot due to Pennington's brittle frame.

I disagree. A great player is a great player. He had less than a year and a half to 'develop'. He was thrown into the mix in desperation because of the Bledsoe injury. You can't teach the kind of head Brady has for the game, plus his accuracy and leadership are things he showed in college. He would have been great as a Jets and would have gotten his shot due to Pennington's brittle frame.

Charlie Weis has more to do with Brady's success than anyone, including BB.

Weis revamped the entire offense going from a 5-7 step drop vertical offense with Bledsoe to the short, crossing offense with Brady.

If Brady was asked to run the vertical offense that Bledsoe ran, I think he would have failed.

CW realized Brady's skill set and drastically changed the offense.

Archived