Bailey and Allen (IR)

LB: Time to start over

- Harris has been excellent and he's the only one who returns
- Pace & Davis need to be let go
- Mauldin should be a starter at one OLB spot
- Taiwan Jones needs to be promoted to the other ILB spot
- A high draft pick needs to be used for the other OLB spot

DLine: Time to shake it up

- I would let Harrison walk, he doesn't give me the penetration I need.
So I'm not spending big $$$ on a run stuffer.  Promote Deon Simon &
TJ Barnes from the practice squad and rotate them at NT
- Trade Wilkerson for a #1 pick.  He's not a difference maker and the
HOU game exposed that for everyone to see.  To get Watt $$$ you better
perform like Watt especially against a 4th string QB
- Richardson & Williams become the DE's

Offense

OLine: Time for changes

- Mangold is still excellent and Carpenter was a good pickup.  I have no
problem having Winters & Harrison battle it out for the other guard spot
- Cut Colon he's injury prone
- The front office/coaching staff have to determine who is better, Brick
or Giacomini.  Whoever they pick stays at RT and then we need to use a
high pick on a LT

TE: Blow it up

- Cut Cumberland & Davis
- Amaro should be back and I would promote Saxton from the practice squad
- Find a blocking TE in free agency or late in the draft

WR: Few changes

- Marshall and Decker return as your starters
- Pray that Smith finds his game and lives up to his draft status
- Draft another one with punt/kick return ability

RB: Few changes

- Bring back Ivory & Powell on reasonable deals

QB: Total questions

- Petty comes back and we see if he's developed
- Use a high pick and draft one
- Since Smith is still on his rookie deal I would bring him back to at least
compete in camp
- Investigate the veteran market and determine if we should bring back Fitzpatrick
as a mentor.  Or do we make a move on someone like Griffin, Kaepernick or Brees

Specials

- Find a free agent or UDFA to compete and hopefully beat out Quigley

Brick Ferguson is not a RT in the NFL.  That guy was a LT only coming in an only on a pass happy team. Harris and Davis is the same player only Davis is younger and cheaper. The player who should be starting next to either is  Lattimore with maybe  Antonio Allen reprising the role he played at  South Carolina at the other inside line backer position on passing downs.

Presently as constituted , the Jets need upgrades at QB, OT and OLBer to take the next step forward.  Team could really use a real Feature RB also, but I have no problem going with Ivory and Powell if we have too.

What we do with Wilkerson should be totally dependent on his demands.  It will be tough to stomach if we wants to much cash.  We will franchise him and put the problem off another year.

I actually think Brick could play RT simply because this is becoming such a passing league that the fails guys like Giacomini have come via pass protection.  Personally I would stick with Brick at LT.  If you make that a hole you are potentially making a it a worse situation. 

I don't like Harris too much more than davis for what harris is getting paid but will stand pat with him.  I agree about Davis, replace him.  100% agree about Pace if he is on the team next year so help me.

My biggest worry is at QB, the vibes these guys were sending out recently was a stand pat type of vibe, at least with Fitz as the starter and petty as the development guy.  If we are sitting there at the draft and up comes a good QB prospect where we are take him.

That's a pretty solid scenario.

Jets would have to give up more than Mo to have a shot at Goff.

Goff will be a very good NFL QB.

I think the Jets finish with the 11th, 12th overall pick. It sounds like NFL people aren't super-high on Goff right now. I think Mo gives you a couple of second rounders. In this whack scenario, they'd be in position. I think. 

I would draft a CB. With Revis aging and Delicate Dee unable to be counted on the need is there. I do agree it is a strong position.

I agree at LB. need a pass rusher by round 3.

I would keep Mo. He is a good player. The Jets need good players.

I would keep Brick at LT. Breno goes. Draft a RT for run blocking. Draft a C. Mangold has health issues and his injuries have wrecked the stability of the unit. Brick struggles more when Mangold is out. Trade Mangold if there is value. 1st or 2nd round pick here. Get a good look at Winters from here on out. 

TE with the 4th pick. Somebody has to be able to catch the ball if Amaro can't stay healthy.

Looking for a FA WR or trade. Marshall is getting long in the tooth. Devin Smith is starting to remind me of Charles Smith in game 5 of the Knicks-Bulls series. Marv's call is "Smith dropped" vice "Smith stopped". Get Kerley some day light. Decker is solid. TE would really help this group though.

RB needs a youth injection. Ivory got old fast this season. Keep Powell. FA market again.

QB need to add Kap. He is the best bet available. Draft again here too. Keep Geno one more year as his contract is still a good value for a back up. Kap would add a weapon to the offense that AFCE defenses are not used to. Chan did well with Kordell back in the day. Petty is 3rd. Fitz is a one year rental. He did upgrade the position to the professional level though. 

Thanks KRL

I think the Jets finish with the 11th, 12th overall pick. It sounds like NFL people aren't super-high on Goff right now. I think Mo gives you a couple of second rounders. In this whack scenario, they'd be in position. I think. 

Yea, the Jets would be very close.

It will all come down to who is their trading partner.

I have the QBs ranked :

Cook

Hackenberg

Goff

I think you left the first QB pick off the list.  I have them this way:

1. Lynch 

2. Goff

3. Cook

4. Hackenberg

5. Jones

Hackenberg and Jones have dropped big time, 4 spot is a long way down from 3

I agree with Cook. He'll be the first QB off the board.

Hackenberg has happy feet. That does not translate very well into the NFL.

Goff will come off the board #2.

Don't really like Goff at all, but have to acknowledge the fact that he has talent. If you had to sit behind the  Penn State OL you would have happy feet also . That offense has 2 players, the QB and a freshman RB.  Both of whom are suffering because of the rest of the unit. I think "Hack" is going to be a great pro if they let him sit and put him behind a solid line.

Don't really like Goff at all, but have to acknowledge the fact that he has talent. If you had to sit behind the  Penn State OL you would have happy feet also . That offense has 2 players, the QB and a freshman RB.  Both of whom are suffering because of the rest of the unit. I think "Hack" is going to be a great pro if they let him sit and put him behind a solid line.

You could be right, but the biggest negative for NFL scouts, behind a QB with a sidearm delivery, is happy feet in the pocket.

I think you left the first QB pick off the list.  I have them this way:

1. Lynch 

2. Goff

3. Cook

4. Hackenberg

5. Jones

Hackenberg and Jones have dropped big time, 4 spot is a long way down from 3

Don't know much about Paxton Lynch and Jones is what actually ?  I would take a flier on Kiel way before I draft Jones.

As I wait for the turkey to finish, here's my plan for the team 
next year no matter what our record is at the end of the season:

Defense

Secondary: Not much has to be done here

- Cromartie needs to be cut
- Our CB's are fine with Revis, Skrine, Williams, Milliner, McDougle
and Walls
- Our S's are the best we've had in a long time.  Gilchrist & Pryor
have been excellent and it appears we have good depth with Miles,
Bailey and Allen (IR)

Offense

high pick on a LT

- Cut Cumberland & Davis

compete in camp
- Investigate the veteran market and determine if we should bring back Fitzpatrick

Specials

Agree with most of this on D, assuming Wilkerson's demand are what's been alleged. He's an excellent player, and I would tag and keep him if we couldn't find a trade partner. But he's not worth a 1st rounder PLUS Watt/Revis money. Not with 2 young 3-4 ends already on the team, even if Richardson misses some time next season. 

Also I'd dump both tackles, ideally. Certainly Brick, as he's just too expensive for his production.  Ideally replace one in FA and the other in the draft. Giacomini can be cut later than Ferguson so I'd cut him second and at least wait to see what the draft yields so we don't get painted into a corner to draft one early with someone much better still on the board.  

And if there's not thing we know, it's that when Tom feels the opposite of what front offices feel, go with the former. 

Can't replace too many players as you still need some depth.  Brick is too light IMO to play RT.

For me, I keep 'Snacks' as he is cheap and you need a run stuffer; I would consider trading both Wilkerson and Richardson depending on what you can get and what is available in the draft.  In a 3-4; the OLBs are responsible for the sacks and covering in the flat; Wilkerson is great, but not a difference maker, Richardson is going to have suspension problems moving forward.

OLB, OL and QB (if available and not sold on Petty) are indeed the top priorities.

Don't know much about Paxton Lynch and Jones is what actually ?  I would take a flier on Kiel way before I draft Jones.

Lynch is the current favorite.   I've seen him and I get it.  Not sure what Jones is either.  Is he the stud who ripp d through the playoff games a year ago?  Did he fall this year because he sucked or because the program has taken a step back this year?  He does have crazy size, arm strength etc.  I do think the gap from 3 on down is wide

Can't replace too many players as you still need some depth.  Brick is too light IMO to play RT.

For me, I keep 'Snacks' as he is cheap and you need a run stuffer; I would consider trading both Wilkerson and Richardson depending on what you can get and what is available in the draft.  In a 3-4; the OLBs are responsible for the sacks and covering in the flat; Wilkerson is great, but not a difference maker, Richardson is going to have suspension problems moving forward.

OLB, OL and QB (if available and not sold on Petty) are indeed the top priorities.

What's the difference if we pay a new FA or re-sign our own FAs (Snacks) or mega-overpaid starters (Brick)?

It doesn't save cap space to retain those guys. It's more expensive to do that. 

What's the difference if we pay a new FA or re-sign our own FAs (Snacks) or mega-overpaid starters (Brick)?

With Coples gone and Cromartie likely cut; a new Cap, and hopefully a renegotiated contract for Brick there should be enough money to do what is needed.

Curious but what do we pay DBrick next year.  He's due 9 mill but can be restructured.  What's he worth on the open market?  Mac just used up most of the cap room that was left last year.  I know he had to spend a certain amount but did it have to be so extreme? What's left and how can we create more room? 

As I wait for the turkey to finish, here's my plan for the team 
next year no matter what our record is at the end of the season:

Defense

Secondary: Not much has to be done here

- Cromartie needs to be cut
- Our CB's are fine with Revis, Skrine, Williams, Milliner, McDougle
and Walls
- Our S's are the best we've had in a long time.  Gilchrist & Pryor
have been excellent and it appears we have good depth with Miles,
Bailey and Allen (IR)

Offense

high pick on a LT

- Cut Cumberland & Davis

compete in camp

Specials

FWIW.  Agree on the Secondary, TE, and WR.  Disagree on LBs.  Bring back Davis and Pace but make them compete.  On the Dline...I'd keep Snacks and offer Richardson or Mo to any takers...doubt we get more than a second for either.  Make the best deal of the two bring back the other.  On the OL we need to find Mangold's and Dbrick's replacement and the sooner the better.  The QBs is fine till you mentioned RG3, Kaep, or Brees.  Draft a QB in every draft till you hit on one.  Hell, I'd OK two draft picks a year.  On the Specials we need to start with a new coach then re-invigorate with some youth and inexperience.  Speed kills and we lack big play ability from PR or KR.  

Curious but what do we pay DBrick next year.  He's due 9 mill but can be restructured.  What's he worth on the open market?  Mac just used up most of the cap room that was left last year.  I know he had to spend a certain amount but did it have to be so extreme? What's left and how can we create more room? 

Teams need to be at 89% of the cap I beleive over the 4 year window. Jets were at 84% 2 years in. So yes, he did need to be so extreme. 

Archived