Plan Going Forward

KRL

Curious but what do we pay DBrick next year.  He's due 9 mill but can be restructured.  What's he worth on the open market?  Mac just used up most of the cap room that was left last year.  I know he had to spend a certain amount but did it have to be so extreme? What's left and how can we create more room? 

Me? I'd dump him outright. He's not good enough to warrant extending (or not at what it would lock the team into for even more years). If he could be "extended" and lowered at a deal I know he'd never take - one with so little guaranteed money it would make him cuttable as soon as his replacement is found, without crippling the cap in the meantime, then of course I'd extend him. Restructured is a fancy word for giving him more guaranteed money in the form of new signing bonus so his cap hit for the immediate season is lowered. But that money must still come off the cap one way or the other and he isn't good enough (to me) to pay him $9M. The only time he seems adequate is when Fitz is doing his "get rid of it immediately" routine that allows no play to fully develop or for 2nd/3rd WRs to show they're open. When a QB dares it longer- particularly one with little to no pocket awareness like Geno or Sanchez - you get the sacks that are hidden with a QB like Fitzpatrick.

And I agree Mac spent way more than he should have for a team without a QB. Too many look at the literal "dead cap" space next year and equate that with having no penalty. The penalty is the money paid to these guys this year that won't be pushable to 2016 as cap space. If you pay Cromartie $7M this year and $8M next year, but cut him after this year, you still have ~$6M less space next year (still would have used up ~$1M on the next man up to count on the 53-man opening day roster and a cut or two throughout the season). It's not - or shouldn't have been - merely having $8M or $0 on Cro next year; it's $14M+ or $0. We don't lose that money if we don't use all of it; we could have pushed it to the following season.

A team coming off a 4-12 season, still with no obvious, good starting QB on the roster, shouldn't be going balls deep in free agency on players entering or already into their 30s. So circling back, it's the same reason I wouldn't keep Brick at $9M, whether all $9M (of new money) counts against this year alone or if it's spread out we'd still be paying him another $9M for the 2016 season.

Me? I'd dump him outright. He's not good enough to warrant extending (or not at what it would lock the team into for even more years). If he could be "extended" and lowered at a deal I know he'd never take - one with so little guaranteed money it would make him cuttable as soon as his replacement is found, without crippling the cap in the meantime, then of course I'd extend him. Restructured is a fancy word for giving him more guaranteed money in the form of new signing bonus so his cap hit for the immediate season is lowered. But that money must still come off the cap one way or the other and he isn't good enough (to me) to pay him $9M. The only time he seems adequate is when Fitz is doing his "get rid of it immediately" routine that allows no play to fully develop or for 2nd/3rd WRs to show they're open. When a QB dares it longer- particularly one with little to no pocket awareness like Geno or Sanchez - you get the sacks that are hidden with a QB like Fitzpatrick.

And I agree Mac spent way more than he should have for a team without a QB. Too many look at the literal "dead cap" space next year and equate that with having no penalty. The penalty is the money paid to these guys this year that won't be pushable to 2016 as cap space. If you pay Cromartie $7M this year and $8M next year, but cut him after this year, you still have ~$6M less space next year (still would have used up ~$1M on the next man up to count on the 53-man opening day roster and a cut or two throughout the season). It's not - or shouldn't have been - merely having $8M or $0 on Cro next year; it's $14M+ or $0. We don't lose that money if we don't use all of it; we could have pushed it to the following season.

A team coming off a 4-12 season, still with no obvious, good starting QB on the roster, shouldn't be going balls deep in free agency on players entering or already into their 30s. So circling back, it's the same reason I wouldn't keep Brick at $9M, whether all $9M (of new money) counts against this year alone or if it's spread out we'd still be paying him another $9M for the 2016 season.

i don tknow the particulars but didnt we have to spend alot of our cap space

The best defenses in the league right now have really good LBs. We have a vast dessert devoid of either talent (Davis) or speed (Harris) and it's killing us. Look at Carolina, Davis & Keuckly or tearing it up.

Jets need to make it known that every veteran is available for the right price, Brick, Mangold, Sheldon, Wilkerson, these are pcs that help other teams that feel they are close to a Super Bowl. I think what we'll find is that non of them are thought that highly of as I don't see anyone giving up a 1st round pick. This will help us in negotiations (Mo) & renegotiations (reducing Brick & Mangold big time). 

Cuts: Cromartie (7 million baby that's a lot of savings), Damario Davis (guy is flat out BAD, bad angles & bad tackling), Cumberland, Kellen Davis, Quigley, Colon.

Like someone else said, bring in Von Miller & make him an offer he can't refuse. It's time to get the pass rusher we've been looking for forever. With Mauldin on the other side & Williams/ Sheldon or Mo we'll be fine. 

I think Kap will be the best value & there's only 2 teams that will be looking at him seriously (Jets/Texans) maybe Browns now that Manziel screwed up for the 10th time. I'd love to see what a guy like Kap could do with Decker, Marshall, Amaro, Ivory, anyone that thinks that Kap doesn't have a higher level than Fitz has lost their mind. 49ers Oline & skill players were completely decimated, no QB can succeed in that situation.

Draft. BPA OFFENSE! Whether it's a WR, RB, QB, OT! I don't care as long as it's NOT DEFENSE! This team needs to get into the 21st century. Jets put together an offense that can average 24 points, the defense is good enough to win a lot of games with a revamped LB core. Jets need to take really bold steps & looking forward to our next draft with a revamped scouting dept. In place for a whole year.

Next year's draft should address LT, RB, LB, OG, and punter. You can resign Powell, Harrison, etc fairly cheaply and not create too many other holes.

I'm not sure Walls comes back because he could probably get better money and a chance at a starting job elsewhere. You cut Cro and have to hope the good Williams sticks around and that Milliner and McDougle can be decent depth. 

The biggest decisions to be made need to be on the offensive and defensive lines. 

Agree with most of this on D, assuming Wilkerson's demand are what's been alleged. He's an excellent player, and I would tag and keep him if we couldn't find a trade partner. But he's not worth a 1st rounder PLUS Watt/Revis money. Not with 2 young 3-4 ends already on the team, even if Richardson misses some time next season. 

Also I'd dump both tackles, ideally. Certainly Brick, as he's just too expensive for his production.  Ideally replace one in FA and the other in the draft. Giacomini can be cut later than Ferguson so I'd cut him second and at least wait to see what the draft yields so we don't get painted into a corner to draft one early with someone much better still on the board.  

Looking at the draft prospects, OT,RB and LB are definite possibilities in the first round. QB is not the strength of this draft.

The best defenses in the league right now have really good LBs. We have a vast dessert devoid of either talent (Davis) or speed (Harris) and it's killing us. Look at Carolina, Davis & Keuckly or tearing it up.

Jets need to make it known that every veteran is available for the right price, Brick, Mangold, Sheldon, Wilkerson, these are pcs that help other teams that feel they are close to a Super Bowl. I think what we'll find is that non of them are thought that highly of as I don't see anyone giving up a 1st round pick. This will help us in negotiations (Mo) & renegotiations (reducing Brick & Mangold big time). 

Cuts: Cromartie (7 million baby that's a lot of savings), Damario Davis (guy is flat out BAD, bad angles & bad tackling), Cumberland, Kellen Davis, Quigley, Colon.

Like someone else said, bring in Von Miller & make him an offer he can't refuse. It's time to get the pass rusher we've been looking for forever. With Mauldin on the other side & Williams/ Sheldon or Mo we'll be fine. 

I think Kap will be the best value & there's only 2 teams that will be looking at him seriously (Jets/Texans) maybe Browns now that Manziel screwed up for the 10th time. I'd love to see what a guy like Kap could do with Decker, Marshall, Amaro, Ivory, anyone that thinks that Kap doesn't have a higher level than Fitz has lost their mind. 49ers Oline & skill players were completely decimated, no QB can succeed in that situation.

Draft. BPA OFFENSE! Whether it's a WR, RB, QB, OT! I don't care as long as it's NOT DEFENSE! This team needs to get into the 21st century. Jets put together an offense that can average 24 points, the defense is good enough to win a lot of games with a revamped LB core. Jets need to take really bold steps & looking forward to our next draft with a revamped scouting dept. In place for a whole year.

I don't care if it's defense only if it's LB. They need a speedy linebacker

The problem is that we had to spend money. Because (thanks Idzik) didn't spend all the cap space the year before, we had to spend money this year, under NFL rules.

i don tknow the particulars but didnt we have to spend alot of our cap space

Yes and it's not just cap space but new money as well. There are simple ways of doing both without signing 2 older players to irresponsible contracts, that would instead still leave the future flush with cap space.

Here's an example. Say you want to burn through $15M in new money because you "have to" spend it this season.

What we did:

$7M Cromartie + $7.5M Harris = $15.5M

What we could have done (And I'm not saying this is specifically what should have been done; I'm using this just for the math purposes, and picking younger players we'd clearly like to keep past 2015-2016 so they're investments rather than the expenses Cromartie and Harris are):

Frontload the Gilchrist contract so his $2.5M signing bonus is all roster bonus (along with the $1.5M roster bonus we did pay him). So instead of his 2015 cap hit being $1M salary + $1.5M RB + $0.625 amortized SB, it becomes $5M all up front. It's the same money for the same player but an additional $1.875M hits the 2015 cap instead of spreading it out from 2016-2018. That's just using up cap room. The team also needs to spend more in hard cash. So move $1M/year from his future salaries to 2015. Now his cap number has grown (from the current $3.125M) to $8M. Same player, and his contract is still 4 years $22M total. But the remaining 3 years has no future cap penalty for cutting him (it's already come off the 2015 cap) and the last 3 seasons are $14M total instead of $17M total.

Same with Skrine. Why spread a $5M signing bonus over 4 years when it can all come off in 2015, just to make his first year cap hit so unnecessarily low ($2.75M)? Or even if we left that $5M as SB rather than RB, since we guaranteed him $13M anyway, then pay him all $13M this year instead of spreading the guarantee over 2 years like contracts are typically done. Give him another $6M up front. It satisfies filling "new money" requirements, lowers his future cap hits, and lowers future "new money" salaries (by ~$2M/year) all the same time. Next 3 seasons Skrine counts $7.75M (guaranteed)/$7.25M/$7.25M. Same player, same money, same total guarantees his salary and cap numbers could have been $4M each year (or better, $3M/$3M/$6M so the final year is ballooned a bit in case he's no longer worth it). Each year comes with no dead cap space for cutting him, since it already came off the 2015 cap. More future spending space for others, and more future flexibility with regard to this one player.

Do the same thing with Carpenter, whose contract made his 2015 cap number an unnecessarily-low $2.375M on a 4 year/$19M deal, which balloons to $5.6M each year for the next 3 seasons. "Spend" another $1.5M/year of his future money this year by jacking up his 2015 cap number (and new money compensation) by $4.5M.

Just to finish up, move $2M of Decker's salary from 2016 to 2015. Now next year he counts $6M instead of $8M.

So we've just eliminated the same $15.5M of "must spend" new money we used up on 1 year of Harris + Cromartie and bypassed the $7.5M guaranteed that Harris gets next year and lowered 4 players' future cap numbers for next year and beyond. The $8M "gain" in cap space by cutting Cro next year is still gained, by not having him in the first place, so that's a wash. Aside from that "gain" now next year instead of cap numbers of Decker $8M, Carpenter $5.6M, Skrine $7.8M, and Gilchrist $5.5M (~$27M tot), those same players eat up $6M, $4.1M, $3M, $4M ($17M total). So for 2016 we'd have $17.5M more available than we have now (for the same players minus David Harris), and something like $8M more space in 2017, and $5M more in 2018. I'm probably getting sloppy with my math at this point because I'm doing this without a spreadsheet or even a calculator, but it's a lot of savings. Use it on other players instead of wasting $22M on March 2015 feel-good moves that net us 1 year of Cromartie and 2 years of Harris. An extra $22M would make a serious dent in re-signing Mo Wilkerson after this season, if so desired. 

BTW, Jets are averaging 23.4 points per game right now

What's your point? Do we have a revamped Linebacking crew yet? No. That was the point. So obviously we're giving up too many points with this defense the way it's constituted.

As I wait for the turkey to finish, here's my plan for the team 
next year no matter what our record is at the end of the season:

Defense

Secondary: Not much has to be done here

- Cromartie needs to be cut
- Our CB's are fine with Revis, Skrine, Williams, Milliner, McDougle
and Walls
- Our S's are the best we've had in a long time.  Gilchrist & Pryor
have been excellent and it appears we have good depth with Miles,
Bailey and Allen (IR)

LB: Time to start over

- Harris has been excellent and he's the only one who returns
- Pace & Davis need to be let go
- Mauldin should be a starter at one OLB spot
- Taiwan Jones needs to be promoted to the other ILB spot
- A high draft pick needs to be used for the other OLB spot

DLine: Time to shake it up

- I would let Harrison walk, he doesn't give me the penetration I need.
So I'm not spending big $$$ on a run stuffer.  Promote Deon Simon &
TJ Barnes from the practice squad and rotate them at NT
- Trade Wilkerson for a #1 pick.  He's not a difference maker and the
HOU game exposed that for everyone to see.  To get Watt $$$ you better
perform like Watt especially against a 4th string QB
- Richardson & Williams become the DE's

Offense

OLine: Time for changes

- Mangold is still excellent and Carpenter was a good pickup.  I have no
problem having Winters & Harrison battle it out for the other guard spot
- Cut Colon he's injury prone
- The front office/coaching staff have to determine who is better, Brick
or Giacomini.  Whoever they pick stays at RT and then we need to use a
high pick on a LT

TE: Blow it up

- Cut Cumberland & Davis
- Amaro should be back and I would promote Saxton from the practice squad
- Find a blocking TE in free agency or late in the draft

WR: Few changes

- Marshall and Decker return as your starters
- Pray that Smith finds his game and lives up to his draft status
- Draft another one with punt/kick return ability

RB: Few changes

- Bring back Ivory & Powell on reasonable deals
- Draft another one with punt/kick return ability

QB: Total questions

- Petty comes back and we see if he's developed
- Use a high pick and draft one
- Since Smith is still on his rookie deal I would bring him back to at least
compete in camp
- Investigate the veteran market and determine if we should bring back Fitzpatrick
as a mentor.  Or do we make a move on someone like Griffin, Kaepernick or Brees

Specials

- Find a free agent or UDFA to compete and hopefully beat out Quigley

Nicely done.

Right - totally agree. He's not worth it. Neither was Harris.  But I wouldn't be surprised, seeing how Mac handled this past year's cap, that he signs or 'restructures' DBrick and brings him back.  This OL is so weak its pathetic and lacks depth he may feel he has no choice. With so many holes to fill, some needy positions are just going to be left out to dry. Rex's downfall was abandoning the OL. Tanny went ape sh*t with defense which led to a total demise of the offensive line and the offense in general.  For all of Sanchez's woes, he wasn't protected properly and the running game went to hell.  Mac has to address this OL and the QB position.  Its just a mess.       

and Walls
Bailey and Allen (IR)

Are you sh*t**ng me? Milliner and McDougle NEVER see the field because the HC doesn't have any faith in them. Besides, one good hit and it's back to IR for those two. Safety is one of the WORST positions on the team as neither Gilchrist or especially Pryor can cover the deep middle and Pryor is NOT the big hitter he was advertsized to be. Arm tackler who always gives extra yards. A LOT of work needs to be done there, as only Williams, Skrine and Revis will be back.

and Walls
Bailey and Allen (IR)

Are you sh*t**ng me? Milliner and McDougle NEVER see the field because the HC doesn't have any faith in them. Besides, one good hit and it's back to IR for those two. Safety is one of the WORST positions on the team as neither Gilchrist or especially Pryor can cover the deep middle and Pryor is NOT the big hitter he was advertsized to be. Arm tackler who always gives extra yards. A LOT of work needs to be done there, as only Williams, Skrine and Revis will be back.

wow, dude your not close.    Prior is a difference maker. Gilchrist is an above average FS.   Revis has one side covered and I will repeat this as it gets closer.   Milner will be the starter on the other side.   Williams is a huge liability because he refuses to tackle at all.  

and Walls
Bailey and Allen (IR)

The HC doesn't have faith in anyone who hasn't been in the league for several years. Either that or literally every non-starter on this roster is hideously bad with no upside to tap into by giving significant playing time to any of them. 

The problem he's going to run into, on the off chance he hasn't learned this from being in the game for decades, is you can't only have established, veteran starters on the field. Those terrible young players will probably be still terrible but less-young players next year if they never get any playing time or practice time with the starters. We can't pay everyone $5-15M per season. At some point he's going to have to put some of the cheapy guys on the field before it's time to re-sign them to non-cheapy second contracts.

If/when we get eliminated it'll be interesting to see if he still starts Cromartie, Davis, Fitzpatrick, and others who shouldn't be returning in 2016.

and Walls
Bailey and Allen (IR)

You did not watch the New England game did you? Pryor was shutting down Gronkowski. When he left, Gronk got loose

Wishful thinking the Bronco's aren't going to franchise tag Von Miller- Teams don't let premiere pass rushers leave in Fa.( Peyton Manning done and his salary will be used for Von Miller).    The Raiders will have 85 million to play with in Fa next season, and there is a zero chance they ever have a chance to sign Von Miller.

The HC doesn't have faith in anyone who hasn't been in the league for several years. Either that or literally every non-starter on this roster is hideously bad with no upside to tap into by giving significant playing time to any of them. 

The problem he's going to run into, on the off chance he hasn't learned this from being in the game for decades, is you can't only have established, veteran starters on the field. Those terrible young players will probably be terrible less-young players next year if they never get any playing time or practice time with the starters. We can't pay everyone $5-15M per season. At some point he's going to have to put some of the cheapy guys on the field before it's time to re-sign them to non-cheapy second contracts.

If/when we get eliminated it'll be interesting to see if he still starts Cromartie, Davis, Fitzpatrick, and others who shouldn't be returning in 2016.

Bowles is showing to be even more focused on starting veterans than Rex, and it was a problem with Rex too

Bowles is showing to be even more focused on starting veterans than Rex, and it was a problem with Rex too

Explain Enuwa, Smith, Mauldin, Leo, Pryor, Williams. Bailey. and Winters

Explain Kerley not being used, and Coples being benched then cut when he wasn't making any errors, just not producing. 

Woody Johnson is much more stealth this year, but he is still the Wizard behind the curtain.  He has no stomach for a rebuild.  HIs business people will still want to run their ads, and they will still run their P&L  They will not cut veterans and run the risk the team could completely stink.  Unfortunately, completely stinking is how a team in the NFL rebuilds and becomes very good. 

With Pace, Cromartie and Davis you just replace them with whomever we have or can get.

For Brick and Mangold, they need to restructure.  The Jets should start looking for their replacements now.  How long they last will be dependent upon how long it takes to replace them.

The same thing with Smith/Fitzpatrick.  

Archived