Cap stuff for 2016

CanadaSteve

Lotta questions in other threads about cap stuff for next year....here is the info in one thread

CAP NUMBER AS OF NOW:  $133 million

GUYS NOT MOVING

Revis (He is on this team until 2018)

Harris (He is on this team until 2017)

Skrine (He is on this team until 2017)

2016 POSSIBLE MOVES WITH DEAD MONEY

D'Brickashaw Ferguson- $5 million dead money     $9 million savings

Breno Giacomini-$1.2 million dead money        $3.8 million savings

Marcus Gilchrist- $1.9 million dead money       $3.75 million savings  (better to cut in 2017)

Nick Folk-  $1.2 million dead money         $2.1 million savings   (better to cut in 2017)

Geno Smith-  $500K dead money      $1.0 savings

There are a bunch of fringe players who can be cut with minimal savings.   TOTAL DEAD: $9.8 million    TOTAL SAVED: $19.75 million

2016 POSSIBLE MOVES NO DEAD MONEY

Jeff Cumberland:  $1.9 million savings

Warren Cromartie:  $8 million savings

Brandon Marshall:  $9.5 million savings

Nick Mangold:  $8.6 million savings

TOTAL SAVINGS: 28 million

FREE AGENTS (Only those that anyone cares about)  Quigley will be GONE next year!!!!!

Ryan Fitzpatrick   Mo Wilkerson  Damon Harrison  Chris Ivory   Bilal Powell  Antonio Allen  Eric Henderson   Demario Davis  Leger Douzable  Jaiquwan Jarrett  Kenbrell Thompkins  Zach Sudfeld 

Hence why the thread was started so people did not have to, and then they could have a place to discuss it here on the board.

Well, I figured some people might want comprehensive numbers and analysis and not just what and who you think is important so that they could make their own informed decisions. But, please, as you were being lord God of this thread.

GUYS NOT MOVING

Harris -  We made a mistake with Harris imo, he's not good enough to warrant what he was given.

2016 POSSIBLE MOVES WITH DEAD MONEY

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - D'Brick is not what he was, he is still good enough and even though his salary is tough to take if he gets dumped we now have a massive hole that needs to be filled immediately and probably with a 1st rounder.  On a team with holes, every new one you create is one you cannot plug at the draft.

Breno Giacomini - I'd have no problem dumping Giacomini if necessary, doesn't seem too expensive though.

Geno Smith-  I think Geno is gone this off season, even if he is still on a cheap deal, I get the impression the team simply does not like him.

2016 POSSIBLE MOVES NO DEAD MONEY

Jeff Cumberland:  For the love of god cut this bum.

Warren Cromartie:  Had a good avg for the Expos....ahhh the glory years.  Cro has actually played worse this year than his last year here.  He better be cut.

Brandon Marshall:  Marshall has alternated between awesome and awful this year.  Still more good than bad, keep him.

Nick Mangold:  His health is a concern, keep him unless more health problems crop up then re-evaluate.

Why would we cut Gilchrist? He's the first safety we've had with any coverage skills since Rhodes. I guess you could throw Allen in there but we were using him as a CB in '14 and he's missed this whole season.

Also missing from your FA list is Colon. Laugh all you want, but if Colon wants to come back again at that same money I'd bring him back in a heartbeat. Even though an upgrade is desirable, Willie can clearly still start, and at the veteran minimum his cap hit is actually less than his compensation. He counts an insignificant amount more than an UDFA who makes the opening day roster. That's about as good a known-quantity, cheap, veteran backup as you'll find anywhere in the NFL in terms of production vs cost. I'd still draft another guard, or see who else is out there in FA. But since Colon's so cheap, the reality is he's not an emergency to replace (like Brick, who cripples the cap if he's not replaced). If anything my main issue with Colon is Bowles' reluctance to play his younger guys over veterans who he just hands the starting jobs to. 

You can add Marshall, Mangold, Gilchrist, and probably Giacomini to the not going anywhere list. 

I wouldn't offer Brick a restructure, I'd offer him a take it or leave it straight pay cut of about $4M. 

They'll have to determine if the $1M savings for cutting Geno makes sense with their overall QB plans. If they go for a veteran, I could see him sticking as the experienced backup. If they go with a high draft pick at QB they probably resign Fitz and let Geno walk. 

This is the last year of the four year cap spending cycle coming up, with a new cycle starting in 2017. Next year might be a good year to eat a lot of dead money, and have a relatively clean (and lower) cap to start the new cycle would be advantageous. Cutting (or possibly trading) a couple guys that this regime doesn't seem to love, Milliner and Kerley, would save them $2.7M next year with $4.3M in dead money coming off the year after. 

Franchise Wilk and trade for picks.  Otherwise our cap situation is screwed. We still have Snacks, Leonard Williams and Sheldon on the d-line.

Only FA I'd want back is Demario Davis and Snacks. Let Ivory get his payday on another team and draft a starting RB.

You can add Marshall, Mangold, Gilchrist, and probably Giacomini to the not going anywhere list. 

I wouldn't offer Brick a restructure, I'd offer him a take it or leave it straight pay cut of about $4M. 

They'll have to determine if the $1M savings for cutting Geno makes sense with their overall QB plans. If they go for a veteran, I could see him sticking as the experienced backup. If they go with a high draft pick at QB they probably resign Fitz and let Geno walk. 

This is the last year of the four year cap spending cycle coming up, with a new cycle starting in 2017. Next year might be a good year to eat a lot of dead money, and have a relatively clean (and lower) cap to start the new cycle would be advantageous. Cutting (or possibly trading) a couple guys that this regime doesn't seem to love, Milliner and Kerley, would save them $2.7M next year with $4.3M in dead money coming off the year after. 

That's the exact same number I came up with in a post I left on my screen at the house. I added that I don't expect him to take it but he's not worth more than $5M with no additional guarantees (other than guaranteeing only the $5M base salary for the 2016 season).

We can defer a little over $1M of it to 2017 by designating him a post-6/1 cut, so the 2016 savings would be $10.4M not $9.1M. Same difference, though. If we make it all hit 2016 Maccagnan - like most GMs - would just lower the new FA tackle's year 1 salary anyway but in the end past bonus and future guaranteed money all comes out of the same pot of future cap room. Depends how close we are up against it just for 2016. 

Pisses me off that we're going to defer more big money in contracts one way or the other because we deferred it in prior ones, and around and around we go. That it was done most recently so we could re-sign Cromartie and Harris for the very short term (1 year and 2 years, respectively) for $22M is what really grinds my gears. 

Kerley might be tradable. He'd probably do well on a team who needs a slot guy. Milliner is not an asset anyone wants, but he doesn't fit the scheme, so maybe he's just cut. Would be hard to do with Cro definitely being cut and Walls a UFA. Going to need some depth there. I don't think this staff thinks much of McDougle either. 

Well, I figured some people might want comprehensive numbers and analysis and not just what and who you think is important so that they could make their own informed decisions. But, please, as you were being lord God of this thread.

Actually, it was my thread that I started.  I gave all the information and players that have been talked about on the board.  Don't like it, don't follow the thread.

Actually jack-off, I gave all the information and players that have been talked about on the board.  Don't like it, don't follow the thread.

Yes. I especially like the Warren Cromartie and Eric Henderson information. Spot on there. 

You gave very little information and mostly just your opinions. Which is fine. The link provided gives more detail and more players than you provided. In case people wanted to do their own numbers research. Apologies. I had no idea you were so sensitive. 

Why would we cut Gilchrist? He's the first safety we've had with any coverage skills since Rhodes. I guess you could throw Allen in there but we were using him as a CB in '14 and he's missed this whole season.

Also missing from your FA list is Colon. Laugh all you want, but if Colon wants to come back again at that same money I'd bring him back in a heartbeat. Even though an upgrade is desirable, Willie can clearly still start, and at the veteran minimum his cap hit is actually less than his compensation. He counts an insignificant amount more than an UDFA who makes the opening day roster. That's about as good a known-quantity, cheap, veteran backup as you'll find anywhere in the NFL in terms of production vs cost. I'd still draft another guard, or see who else is out there in FA. But since Colon's so cheap, the reality is he's not an emergency to replace (like Brick, who cripples the cap if he's not replaced). If anything my main issue with Colon is Bowles' reluctance to play his younger guys over veterans who he just hands the starting jobs to. 

Not saying he should be cut.  I just listed the guys that could be cut.  There was no point in listing everyone; I mean, we can cut Dee Millner and lose $5 million in dead money in 2016  and lose cap space because of it, but I didn't figure we wanted to do that :)

As for Colon, I would agree, but we would need a viable option to back him up.  His injuries are piling up.

Also, we have kept Ijalena on this team for years.  Does anyone think he could actually replace D/Brick?

Kerley might be tradable. He'd probably do well on a team who needs a slot guy. Milliner is not an asset anyone wants, but he doesn't fit the scheme, so maybe he's just cut. Would be hard to do with Cro definitely being cut and Walls a UFA. Going to need some depth there. I don't think this staff thinks much of McDougle either. 

Bet Kerley would be pretty good as a slot receiver for the Eagles (if chip Kelly keeps his job). Kerley and Sproles would give them a lot of options for trick plays and could give defensive coordinators nightmares.

Not saying he should be cut.  I just listed the guys that could be cut.  There was no point in listing everyone; I mean, we can cut Dee Millner and lose $5 million in dead money in 2016  and lose cap space because of it, but I didn't figure we wanted to do that :)

As for Colon, I would agree, but we would need a viable option to back him up.  His injuries are piling up.

Also, we have kept Ijalena on this team for years.  Does anyone think he could actually replace D/Brick?

I took it to mean guys who could be cut because their guaranteed-money years are over. Dee Milliner still has guaranteed money coming to him so I wouldn't have thought to put him in there. Also those aren't the figures for Milliner. We'd save his $1.5M roster bonus but everything else would still hit the cap (his guaranteed salary, plus the amortized signing bonus already paid to him). It could never cost more to cut than keep any player in the final year of his contract. The worst it could possibly be for any player is zero savings, but it could never cost (or hit the cap) more. Cutting Milliner (which isn't happening, and shouldn't happen) saves $1.5M. His dead cap space is more than the savings, but that's not the same thing; it's still a net savings.

Next, the idea with re-signing Colon (ideally) is to have him as the backup. Worst case scenario, like if we drafted yet another bust at guard, Colon could then fill in. I'd want Colon backing up and pushing the starter, not the other way around. 

I don't know where the idea came from with Ijalena being the replacement for Brick, unless you're offering that up (or asking about it) as a possibility. While technically possible, only the coaches could answer that one since I can't recall any of his illustrious preseason snaps against nobodies. I wouldn't bank on anything other than filling that same backup role again, if even that, as great as it would be for him to be an upgrade. Truthfully even if he's no better but not noticeably worse (which is super-doubtful anyway), we really need an upgrade more than a much cheaper, but still lateral, move.

Yes. I especially like the Warren Cromartie and Eric Henderson information. Spot on there. 

You gave very little information and mostly just your opinions. Which is fine. The link provided gives more detail and more players than you provided. In case people wanted to do their own numbers research. Apologies. I had no idea you were so sensitive. 

You really don't think you come off as a dick there? 

Colon is a monster in the run game.  He went to my high school .....Hayes! Resign this road grader.

Colon is a monster in the run game.  He went to my high school .....Hayes! Resign this road grader.

It's a no-brainer to bring him back with a cap hit of $700K because he could be 2nd string all season long and it's still a great value signing. Bringing him back at those dollars is a bigger no-brainer than cutting Cromartie IMO. 

It's a no-brainer to bring him back with a cap hit of $700K because he could be 2nd string all season long and it's still a great value signing. Bringing him back at those dollars is a bigger no-brainer than cutting Cromartie IMO. 

Colon, Mangold, Carpenter.....Now we need 2 tackles.  Draft one and get a FA. 

His knees sound bad enough that he's probably done. He needs surgery eventually I believe they said. 

That's the exact same number I came up with in a post I left on my screen at the house. I added that I don't expect him to take it but he's not worth more than $5M with no additional guarantees (other than guaranteeing only the $5M base salary for the 2016 season).

We can defer a little over $1M of it to 2017 by designating him a post-6/1 cut, so the 2016 savings would be $10.4M not $9.1M. Same difference, though. If we make it all hit 2016 Maccagnan - like most GMs - would just lower the new FA tackle's year 1 salary anyway but in the end past bonus and future guaranteed money all comes out of the same pot of future cap room. Depends how close we are up against it just for 2016. 

Pisses me off that we're going to defer more big money in contracts one way or the other because we deferred it in prior ones, and around and around we go. That it was done most recently so we could re-sign Cromartie and Harris for the very short term (1 year and 2 years, respectively) for $22M is what really grinds my gears. 

I dont expect him to take a paycut. With all the money hes made I tend to think hell follow suit of some other older tackles that just retire rather than getting into the contract stuff .Jets are in a bit of a bind because they dont really have anyone to cover for him yet either. I still bang my head into the wall on the Harris signing. Cro a bit as well. 

I dont expect him to take a paycut. With all the money hes made I tend to think hell follow suit of some other older tackles that just retire rather than getting into the contract stuff .Jets are in a bit of a bind because they dont really have anyone to cover for him yet either. I still bang my head into the wall on the Harris signing. Cro a bit as well. 

Feel like I'm reading a post I wrote myself. Agree from start to finish.

His knees sound bad enough that he's probably done. He needs surgery eventually I believe they said. 

We all need surgery eventually lol. If it was that bad, where it was a surgery he wouldn't come back from, I'd think he'd have already had the surgery (and rehab) done while he's still on an NFL roster and the team picks up the full tab.

Wasn't it just a sprained ligament? I know he's not 25 anymore, but people come back from far worse even if it's a bad enough sprain to require surgery.

We all need surgery eventually lol. If it was that bad, where it was a surgery he wouldn't come back from, I'd think he'd have already had the surgery (and rehab) done while he's still on an NFL roster and the team picks up the full tab.

Wasn't it just a sprained ligament? I know he's not 25 anymore, but people come back from far worse even if it's a bad enough sprain to require surgery.

I've had back to back torn meniscus surgeries in '13 and '14. My knees will never be the same.  Whats odd is I never had issues with my knees, only ankles.  Really hard to recover from it since I didn't rehab it correctly.  A year later and finally feeling better.  Hopefully Colon will be back. Anyone who questioned Geno is a friend for life. He's a Hayesman, he will be back.   

Archived