D'Brick

TuscanyTile2

For those who are knowledgeable about OL play, I'm wondering if you think D'Brick lived up to his very lofty expectations when he was drafted.  I remember they referred to him as a "once a generation" type player.

From what I can see (and I'm certainly no expert), he's been a more-than-solid LT but he didn't live up to his hype.  What say you?

Note: I'm not upset we drafted him or anything like that.  But I think Mangold had the kind of career that much more closely matched the expectations people were foisting on D'Brick.

Yes he has lived up to his billing.

No I never once heard that he was a once in a generation player that draft year.  He was considered the top olineman and top LT in that draft but no moreso than nay other draft.

He has been exactly what you hope for, a LT you plug in day one that plays for 10 years with almost no injuries and some of the years at pro bowl level.

The 1st round of that draft, D'Brick and Mangold was by far the best NJ jets draft round since I have been a fan.

He's getting old bottom line. 

Missing the point.  He has played for this team nine years, plugged in as the starter since day one, has gone to 3 pro-bowls, and has NEVER missed a game.  He has started every single game since he was drafted.  He is not just going down as one of the best, he will be in the HOF.

That said, his play has slipped noticeably this year.  Now, the question is: can he move to RT or guard and get a couple more years out of him if he restructures?

Missing the point.  He has played for this team nine years, plugged in as the starter since day one, has gone to 3 pro-bowls, and has NEVER missed a game.  He has started every single game since he was drafted.  He is not just going down as one of the best, he will be in the HOF.

That said, his play has slipped noticeably this year.  Now, the question is: can he move to RT or guard and get a couple more years out of him if he restructures?

Agree with all that bottom line I will repeat he's getting old. 

Agree with all that bottom line I will repeat he's getting old. 

He's getting old bottom line. 

Not the point of this thread.  

Guy missed literally 1 snap in 10 years, considering the bust rate for top oline prospects he absolutely lived up to expectations.

stop it.  Hes nowhere near a hall of famer.

hes been great for us but hes getting long in the tooth.  We will need a replacement for him in a year or 2.

For those who are knowledgeable about OL play, I'm wondering if you think D'Brick lived up to his very lofty expectations when he was drafted.  I remember they referred to him as a "once a generation" type player.

From what I can see (and I'm certainly no expert), he's been a more-than-solid LT but he didn't live up to his hype.  What say you?

Note: I'm not upset we drafted him or anything like that.  But I think Mangold had the kind of career that much more closely matched the expectations people were foisting on D'Brick.

Good pass blocker, average to below average run blocker. Not a real Pro Bowl LT IMO, and never has been. He has stayed injury free and is always available to play, so that makes him valuable. Definitely needs to be replaced however. Mangold too. He is beginning to be injury prone and I have been posting all year that the Jets needs to do like Dallas did and get a few studs on the OL. Then the offense will be able to pull of play action. I used to laugh at Bruce Coslet's offense using play action when they couldn't run the ball to save their lives. I remember a play against Miami in the "fake spike" game where Boomer turned to "play fake" to the RB only to get crushed before he could turn to throw and he fumbled. Luckily the Jets got it back, but it didn't matter.

HOF?!!! Based on WHAT. Every time he has been to the Pro Bowl it has been as an alternative. Dream on for the HOF. Maybe the Jets Ring of Honor because almost everyone gets on that list. Hell, I expect Ken Schroy to get nominated soon.

Putting aside "he's old and will need to be replaced", has he lived up to his pre-draft billing ("once in a generation type player")?

Actually I'm now searching for articles saying that and I'm not finding any at first glance.  So I'll throw this question out there too - was D'brick given this billing or did I imagine this? 

Ring of Honor player maybe ( and that's a stretch)

HOF? Forget it

Ring of Honer should be definite.  Especially if he plays his whole career with the Jets.  

Wayne Chrebet is in the ring of honer.  Although he was a great Jets clutch player and im not denying what he means to the Jets franchise but he never made any pro bowls.  Hes looked upon as average throughout the league.  

Brick has at least made 3 pro bowls.  No shade to Wayne Chrebet at all.  I have one of his Jerseys but to say Brick making the ring of honer is a stretch is just wrong.  

He plays soft to protect his health (which explains his longevity).

He's slow and lazy on the outside edge and most always chooses the inside block to get help from the LG.

He gets Pro Bowl votes via name recognition by trendy teenagers who like ridiculous names with dazzle.

He said he never watches football (not even upcoming opponents) during personal free time cause he lives football during working hours.

He's heavy on PR and will pose with any boob who requests a pic.

But nothing ... just NOTHING ... sums up Brick better than this:

Jan 23, 2011 AFCCG

31.36 minutes away, the closest we'd sniff the first NY Jets Super Bowl appearance in 42 years. It all ended right here; from big dance to sour pumpkin:

5658ce1890a5d_317_BRICK_SCRATCHING_BALLS

Archived