Mangini

TuscanyTile2

And you can make a argument he drafted the worst 1st rd player in the Ghost..

yeah. Every great GM has At least one bust 1st rd pick. But when you look at the picks while Mangini was HC, the good far outweigh the bad. Not just in terms of starters but also quality depth he ammassed in draft and UDFAs. If only this continued while Rex was HC maybe we wouldnt be in as bad of shape as we are today

And you can make a argument he drafted the worst 1st rd player in the Ghost..

That was bad obviously. But the foundation of this football team(still) was built by Mangini's drafts....now we've drafted pathetically since...but Brick, Mangold, Revis and Harris are still top 10 players on this team. 

yeah. Every great GM has At least one bust 1st rd pick. But when you look at the picks while Mangini was HC, the good far outweigh the bad. Not just in terms of starters but also quality depth he ammassed in draft and UDFAs. If only this continued while Rex was HC maybe we wouldnt be in as bad of shape as we are today

Mangini couldn't do anything with Pouha many here said he was a bust Rex got him playing well.. Also in 2006 Mangini had 2 1st picks a 2nd, 2 3rds,2 4th's and a 5,6,and 7th..That's 10 picks coming off a 2005 4-12 season.. In 09 coming of a 9-7 season Tanny had 3 picks because we had no QB except the bust Clemens that Mangini left..

Mangini couldn't do anything with Pouha many here said he was a bust Rex got him playing well.. Also in 2006 Mangini had 2 1st picks a 2nd, 2 3rds,2 4th's and a 5,6,and 7th..That's 10 picks coming off a 2005 4-12 season.. In 09 coming of a 9-7 season Tanny had 3 picks because we had no QB except the bust Clemens that Mangini left..

THEY TRADED SIX PICKS FOR SANCHEZ, SHONN GREENE, AND LITO SHEPPARD. GOOD DAY SIR. I SAID GOOD DAY SIR.

THEY TRADED SIX PICKS FOR SANCHEZ, SHONN GREENE, AND LITO SHEPPARD. GOOD DAY SIR. I SAID GOOD DAY SIR.

They had to trade picks because they had no QB plus 09 was a all offensive draft that couldn't have been Rex doing it... BTW your no Willie Wonka,Willie Wanka maybe..:)

By far, the worst thing that happened in that transition between eras was when Woody tried to get Peyton out for a visit and Manning essentially told him to go **** a duck.

No way would Peyton go to the same place Eli was at with the NY Media.. It was a silly idea even to ask about Peyton..

why do you switch the topic now to player development? We are talking about players selected under Mangini vs Rex not their coaching ability. We get it you hate Mangini. But the facts are undeniable. The players selected under Mangini were the foundation of the teams Rex took to the AFCCG twice. Even today, Mangold, Brick, Revis, and Harris are the backbone of this team. All selected under Mangini.  

The players picked in the 5 years under Rex were abysmal. No quality and no depth. Outside of Willerson, Richardson, and maybe Pryor the rest are all garbage. Most either not on this team or out of the league. Pathetic. That's why we suck today. 

They had to trade picks because they had no QB plus 09 was a all offensive draft that couldn't have been Rex doing it... BTW your no Willie Wonka,Willie Wanka maybe..:)

Bullsh!t!!! They could have signed Fitzpatrick, AJ Feeley, or Kerry Collins as stop gap QB that year and with the draft picks they threw away could  have had Clay Mathews, Lesean McCoy and Jared Cook. Bottom line Rex sucked at evaluating talent.  

Mangini was terrible coach who won four games his second year. The only reason he did any better than that in his last year was Brett Favre. People who complained about the ground & pound, defense first mentality of Rex forget just how impossible the Jets were to watch those first two Mangini years. He coached scared every down. Almost every NFL head coach is afraid of being second guessed, but he took it to new levels. He doesn't belong on the sidelines. 

I don't buy into the myth that he'd be a great GM, either. That same conservativeness and fear led him to want to only draft Boy Scouts and choir boys. They were supposed to love football, too, but he was totally psyched out of that with Vernon Gholston when his estranged football daddy traded into the spot right behind him. I wouldn't give that man the final decision on the lunch order. 

No one said great GM when it comes to Mangini but it would not be a terrible choice if someone gave him a shot if they share his philosophy

why do you switch the topic now to player development? We are talking about players selected under Mangini vs Rex not their coaching ability. We get it you hate Mangini. But the facts are undeniable. The players selected under Mangini were the foundation of the teams Rex took to the AFCCG twice. Even today, Mangold, Brick, Revis, and Harris are the backbone of this team. All selected under Mangini.  

The players picked in the 5 years under Rex were abysmal. No quality and no depth. Outside of Willerson, Richardson, and maybe Pryor the rest are all garbage. Most either not on this team or out of the league. Pathetic. That's why we suck today. 

I agree Mangini was a much better GM then a HC just like the Tuna was a much better HC then a GM.. You really think the last 2 years Rex had a say over Idzik? Yes Rex had some input all HC's do but he wasn't the one picking all the players.. Hell Rex never wanted Hill and Tanny took him anyway.. Bradway begged for Wilson and never got him.. Rex haters like yourself try to put every bad thing about the Jets on Rex and will for years to come I'm sure.. Remember when the Jets took Sheldon? It was that idiot Rex took a player that doesn't fit his system until Sheldon shined..Then it changed to great pick by Idzik..LOL

Mangini's first year was a lot of fun. We made the playoffs with an innovative offense, totally under the radar, with exciting receivers like Cotch and Coles, doing a lot of YAC from Chad's short passes. We also had the pleasure of watching Leon Washington, the last Jet we've had that can run fast and make guys miss.  That was a brilliant year of coaching,  the talk of the NFL.    The Rex playoffs were built a lot more around defense and ground and pound, until our offense eventually deteriorated and was unwatchable. 

Mangini is an under rated football mind.  Have had the privilege to have spent some time around him and he is brilliant.  Has forgotten more about football than I will ever know.  

If Mangini focused on coaching football, rather than trying to be BB's Mini Me, he'd still be a HC in the NFL.

I just hope the Phins do not give him his next chance.

If Mangini ever gets another chance at being a HC, I think he can be a very good NFL HC. He was very young when given the Jets job, and was not ready. He tried to hard to be Bellichick, and you just cannot do that. You can incorporate elements, but you need to have your own personality. At the time, I thought he needed to go, but in hind site, it might have been a good idea to give him a few more years to grow into the job and learn. Cleveland was a disaster, but I don't see how that is on him at all. He was there for two years, the team was a disaster before he got there, and after his first year they brought in Holmgrem who gave him no authority whatsoever, and Cleveland has been a disaster since.

He may have never grown into the job, but we would have had a far better roster after he was gone than what Rex left us with.

If Mangini ever gets another chance at being a HC, I think he can be a very good NFL HC. He was very young when given the Jets job, and was not ready. He tried to hard to be Bellichick, and you just cannot do that. You can incorporate elements, but you need to have your own personality. At the time, I thought he needed to go, but in hind site, it might have been a good idea to give him a few more years to grow into the job and learn. Cleveland was a disaster, but I don't see how that is on him at all. He was there for two years, the team was a disaster before he got there, and after his first year they brought in Holmgrem who gave him no authority whatsoever, and Cleveland has been a disaster since.

He may have never grown into the job, but we would have had a far better roster after he was gone than what Rex left us with.

Then he should have been a GM not a HC who never won a playoff game and he had Chad and Farve as QB's..

Mangini's first year was a lot of fun. We made the playoffs with an innovative offense, totally under the radar, with exciting receivers like Cotch and Coles, doing a lot of YAC from Chad's short passes. We also had the pleasure of watching Leon Washington, the last Jet we've had that can run fast and make guys miss.  That was a brilliant year of coaching,  the talk of the NFL.    The Rex playoffs were built a lot more around defense and ground and pound, until our offense eventually deteriorated and was unwatchable. 

In your recollections, does Mangini have a goatee? Because this definitely sounds like an alternate universe. 

Savage, you really have to let go that a couple of meaningless WC playoff wins defines a HC greatness.

I never said it was great or made a HC great but I did enjoy the Jets knocking Brady and Peyton out of the playoffs in their stadiums.. As a Jet fan we have learned to appreciate the little things in life..:)

Mangini's last season with Favre was 9-7. Rex Ryan's first season was 9-7 and got into the playoffs by means of some weird Rube Goldberg type sheet. One problem though is while Mangini is a sharp guy he has zero people skills, so perhaps he would be better off in the front office. Because over 8+ months of running a team from minicamp through January being a douche 24/7 to all your players is gonna wear people down. 

Mangini's last season with Favre as 9-7. Rex Ryan's first season was 9-7 and got into the playoffs by means of some weird Rube Goldberg type sheet. One problem though is while Mangini is a sharp guy he has zero people skills, so perhaps he would be better off in the front office. Because over 8+ months of running a team from minicamp through January being a douche 24/7 to all your players is gonna wear people down. 

And we have a bingo and he really pissed people off at the Browns with this... http://www.sbnation.com/2009/1/24/1642785/jim-brown-has-no-place-on-manginis

Coaches don't draft.  

I really stopped reading after the author said that some coaches don't have a draft strategy.  

yeah there's this thing called a General Manager and front office

If Mangini was this great drafter everyone says he is he's be an NFL GM rather than the worst DC in the NFL a month away from being fired

Archived