"Leadership" and the Top 1o Reasons Fitz should be benched

JohnnyLV

I seriously doubt they cut Geno. But you hate him, I get it.

It's a bit sad that you think it's personal.  LIke I care about Geno Smith enough on a personal level to "hate" him personally.  I don;t know him.

He's simply a documented horrible QB.  His track record proves it.  He was one of the worst QB's in the league in his tenure as starter.  Stats and facts, not weepy touchy feeling "love" or "hate" or the like.  

The Jets will be a better team once he's gone, when we can bring in a better prospect, and it seems clear to me the GM and Head Coach know it.  

It's not personal, it's just business.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit sad that you think it's personal.  LIke I care about Geno Smith enough on a personal level to "hate" him personally.  I don;t know him.

He's simply a documented horrible QB.  His track record proves it.  He was one of the worst QB's in the league in his tenure as starter.  Stats and facts, not weepy touchy feeling "love" or "hate" or the like.  

The Jets will be a better team once he's gone, when we can bring in a better prospect, and it seems clear to me the GM and Head Coach know it.  

It's not personal, it's just business.

5760fcc8205130c5d08bc3518dbbdd0c.500x396

Most of Fitz production is from Marshall. Are you really suggesting Geno would not get a huge benefit and improvement in numbers getting to throw to Marshall??

What NFL QB doesn't get most of their production from their best WR?  Why is that a bad thing?

Geno would have much better numbers than he has in the past with Gailey and good WR's, but he'd also take incredibly stupid sacks and throw a few pick-six's.

I like Geno and I am not ready to write him off.

That said if I started a thread blasting Fitz, I might just lay low right now. :)

Do you believe Geno Smith is the best possible prospect/starter the NY Jets could realistically have in 2016?

If not, then yes, you ARE in fact ready to write him off.  You may simply have not yet come to terms with it.

If you do actually believe Geno Smith, above and beyond any and all other possibilities, is the best possible starter/prospect QB we could have in 2016.....well......yeah.  Lol.

The best thing about Fitz is his savvy in the pocket. He is really shifty and you rarely see him get sacked, and I don't think it's because we have great pass protection. The guy is uncanny how he escapes a rush or knows when to run it himself. It's like the anti-Geno who backpeddled in to hell whenever the rush came. After years of watching poor pocket presence and a lot of sad sacks on Sanchez and Geno, Fitz is fun to watch in that regard. 

FItz didnt stink...today. He had a phenomenal game. I'll take 4 TD's over 300 yards anyday. The problem is consistency. In a passing league, the lack of consistency when everything is geared in your favor (Quarterbacks) can be considered as "stinking". Phenomenal game. We're 6-5. Any wins from here for Fitz will be considered new territory. Hopefully its a deep journey in this new territory. Im not holding my breath though. Put it on the field instead of one week "he stinks" and the next week "he's a football god". 

Everything is geared in QB's favor as you say, yet there's still only 5-10 guys in the league that don't stink based on your criteria. Like it or not compared to the rest of the league Fitz is having a solid season and one of the best overall season by a Jets QB in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BrianCoz: Ryan Fitzpatrick has 20 TDs this season. He’s got a shot at the Jets single-season record of 29 by Testaverde in 1998 #nyj

If he can get 2 per game for the rest of the season he's got it. Also one more win will put him over his personal best. Neither are particularly exceptional but it's a lot farther than I thought he would get the day I heard Geno went down.

geno will be cut in the blink of an eye.    They r putting fitz out there with one hand rather then playing geno.  Some of u guys r blind.

I think yesterday was the first game I ever saw where both the Center and QB played with injured hands that were wrapped with protective gear..

We traded up and spent the 5th overall pick in 2009 on Mark Sanchez.  Bottom 5 QB.

We spent a 2nd round pick in 2013 on Geno Smith.  Bottom 5 QB.

We traded a 7th round pick to get Ryan Fitzpatrick, with no expectations whatsoever that he'd be a franchise guy.  Top 20 QB. 

It's over for Geno.  Done-zo.  Stop talking about it.  The debate has been over for a long time.  Stop whining about the QB position.  This is a team game, and while the QB is the primary driving force behind a team's success, we also have a lot of pieces to the puzzle we need to work to win some more games this year, and we might as well focus our discussions on those. 

I understand that people might react to this by saying we shouldn't shut down discussion.  But continuing to bash our starting QB when he's provided little reason to deserve such bashing is a drain on the message board.  Yesterday made those same people look completely foolish, and rightfully so.  We had a thread every single week about it, with heavy teenage angst and negativity to the point where the board was unreadable. 

Here's the truth of the matter:  When we win, Fitz is a big reason why, sometimes even under less than ideal circumstances (defense playing poorly, run game not effective, etc; reasons which crippled us in the past).  That hasn't been the case for the QB position here in a long time.  It used to be that our wins were in spite of the QB.  I'm very glad that for this season, that hasn't been the case.

The only other QB we should be hoping to get a look at from here on out is Bryce Petty, and even then only if we're blowing somebody out. 

fitz has 20 tds and 11 picks.  eli has 23 and 9.  fitz is tied for 8th in td passes and they play the giants this week.

This is all anybody needs to know when arguing against Fitz in support of GENO SMITH!

Tied for 8th in touchdown passes? Who would not have signed up for this in a second after what we've experienced post 2011?

There are only a handful of QB's if that many that will give you a good game every week.  Everyone else is a question mark week in and week out.  I'm not talking about stats which can be misleading when you get some late yards and td passes.

Do you believe Geno Smith is the best possible prospect/starter the NY Jets could realistically have in 2016?

If not, then yes, you ARE in fact ready to write him off.  You may simply have not yet come to terms with it.

If you do actually believe Geno Smith, above and beyond any and all other possibilities, is the best possible starter/prospect QB we could have in 2016.....well......yeah.  Lol.

such a silly post...the citercitric for keeping an UNDER CONTRACT Geno, is not whether he is the best prospective starter fir 2016 but whether he makes the roster stronger as starter, backup or even 3rd string. The decision is different if you are deciding whether to re sign Geno to a 2nd contract.

the citercitric for keeping an UNDER CONTRACT Geno, is not whether he is the best prospective starter fir 2016 but whether he makes the roster stronger as starter, backup or even 3rd string. The decision is different if you are deciding whether to re sign Geno to a 2nd contract.

I would change your word "roster" to "team"

(certainly amongst us fans he hurts our unity and is a lightning rod for dissension & conflict ... If that is also a case in the locker room/practice field then he should go)

if we are looking at the backup or even more particularly 3rd string QB then we are going to care more about who will be best for our team in 2016 & beyond

geno's performance both on & off the field have done nothing to give him the benefit of the doubt in keeping him, regardless of his salary being low

such a silly post...the citercitric for keeping an UNDER CONTRACT Geno, is not whether he is the best prospective starter fir 2016 but whether he makes the roster stronger as starter, backup or even 3rd string. The decision is different if you are deciding whether to re sign Geno to a 2nd contract.

The criteria for keeping any player should always be "is he the best player for our system available, and can we afford him".

Only a loser keeps a guy purely because he "is already under contract".

Winners always try to get better, anywhere and everywhere they can.

And lets be clear, drafted QB's are cheap as chips.  Veteran Journeyman QB's are as well.

So I'll say it again, the only reason to want to keep Geno Smith is if you think he is better than every possible draftable or signable QB this coming offseason.

He isn't.  And he very likely will be gone.  

The criteria for keeping any player should always be "is he the best player for our system available, and can we afford him".

Only a loser keeps a guy purely because he "is already under contract".

Winners always try to get better, anywhere and everywhere they can.

And lets be clear, drafted QB's are cheap as chips.  Veteran Journeyman QB's are as well.

So I'll say it again, the only reason to want to keep Geno Smith is if you think he is better than every possible draftable or signable QB this coming offseason.

He isn't.  And he very likely will be gone.  

This is what Geno supporters have been reduced to?  "He's under contract for another year"?  Didn't stop this regime from cutting former 1st round pick Quinton Coples, did it?

• 2 weeks later...

Fitzpatrick and the whole team are playing as well as any jets team has since 1998. The best part is we finally have a GM making solid decisions on who is on the roster and a coaching staff that is optimizing the talent by not asking players to do more than they are capable of. No matter what happens the rest of the season, I trust that Maccagnan knows we need to begin rebuilding the offensive line and draft wide receivers that can play in the NFL. It's mind boggling how bad or unlucky the jets have been picking receivers. Off the top of my head, Jerricho Cotchery was the last draft pick we had at WR that was successful and he was just above average. That was 2004. Mike Tannenbaum, Terry Bradway, and John Idzik ( the Rich Kotite of GM's ) all were in over their heads as GM's in the NFL. I hope Maccagnan is the real deal and we start to bring in 6-8 rookies every year who become solid football players for the Jets

The guy is about to break franchise records for numerous offensive categories and is 10-4 in his last 14 NFL starts and they need a better QB moving forward? You're the one who needs to be ****whipped. Only a complete idiot would replace the guy at quarterback.

Bro, I ain't scared. I'm putting money on my EZPass as we speak bro

Archived