Our Over Rated NY Jets

Smashmouth

We cause most of our own grief by over rating our over all team and players. Are we over rated ? is the coach just not getting it done ? Do his schemes suck ? Do we have lazy players who have bad motors on defense ? Something's obviously wrong, so what is it ?

For instance, probably the most over rated unit on this team, The Defensive line, has stunk. We stop the run well because we always seem to crowd the LOS but what's funny is we give ridiculous cushions to WR's and that's on the coaching staff . I feel they are misusing the entire unit. The secondary and DL should go hand in hand one unit creates pressure on the QB forcing throws while the CB's press. Too bad we don't do either. The DL creates little pressure and the CB's play soft. DUMB. When is the DL going to get pressure on a critical 3rd down, or on any critical play for that matter ? Can't figure this out unless as the title of this thread states is our Dl just way too over rated ?

The second most over rated is the secondary. At least with the secondary we have seen them excel in the past so maybe we get a pass there. As I stated above I feel the secondary is grossly misused, so many reasons to state but I'm not going to bother since it seems obvious. To many Blitzes with corners that we've been burned on in critical situations is one of the problems

The LB's .. we knew they could not cover and the only one who can tackle worth a sh*t is David Harris the rest need to be replaced except for Mauldin who seems to be more of a pass rusher than a well rounded LB. Very weak Unit and it is being exploited to death.

Our Offensive line is inconsistent and while they seem to be pass blocking well, more credit there can go to Fitz because we finally have a QB who can get rid of the ball quickly rather than standing back there like a tree or scrambling into the teeth of the rush. The run blocking is extremely inconsistent way to many hits on our RB's in the backfield slowing them down and that just can;t happen.

Fans like to point at the QB but the fact is IMHO our WR's have dropped an inexcusable amount of important passes killing drives and turning 6 points into 3 or zero. If this offense would execute and do their jobs I think we would have the chance at being 7-2 or even 8-2 . The Houston Texans have been playing lights out on defense and I think Fitz played about as good as anyone against that defense the last 5 weeks. The Corners were all over our WR's and Fitz forced the issue but I'm not sure he had much of a choice since we could not run the ball either.

The GM... I think he did a really good job building up this team to be a competitive one this season. The players not executing is not his fault that's on the coach IMHO and the players themselves. Sticking with Cromartie who is just plain terrible is inexcusable he should have been the one cut to make an example of since he out right stinks and is a liability making a tackle. I think the only areas he left that should have been addressed were the TE position and the RB position . This team is in dire need of a RB who can be dynamic out of the backfield and give the QB some damn help when his receivers are blanketed. Once again Fitz gets the bad rap here but with limited targets he does take chances when our receivers are covered. Decker and Marshall are good but with a RB threat and a TE they could be great and I think our QB can as well. The other thing this team really really needs is a Burner WR Devin Smith is absolutely horrible he's worse than I've seen in a while hell he's worse than Johnny Lam Jones for those who remember that failure.

The OC I think Gailey has done a good job compared to past years. Sure he has had a couple of Horrid decisions but they should not cloud the entire body of work. Like I said with some better execution this offense could of and should of made the plays asked of them. They simply have not made the plays.

DC who the fuk knows what Rodgers role is here no telling what's going on from the defensive side of the ball . If he is truly running the Defense then he needs to go out the door in a big time way.

Bowles... I have to admit I over rated this guy based on the hype I was reading about him. Sure it could be the players are simply not getting it done but there have been to many questionable instances that can't just be chalked up too "Rookie HC" . That being said He's not even a Rookie since he did coach the Phins . I'm amazed he still plays a very soft defense when it comes to the secondary. He does blitz a lot but he's been burned over and over since its not disguised well and teams are picking it up more than he's getting pressure.

Special Teams is a total disgrace .

I know I stated this team could very well be 7-3 or 8-2 so you may ask how bad are things really since we seem to be in all the games except 1 or 2 that got away early and the short answer is inconsistency and its night and day what we have seen from this team. One half our defense gets totally rolled then in the next half they shut sh*t down. On offense its just a matter of players not making the plays they should make. To many drops and inconsistent Line play is the culprit here.

The one thing you can't be in the NFL is inconsistent and once again I put blame on the coach.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overrated by who? Exactly how many wins are we supposed to have at this point?

Its not just about the wins and losses. Its about rating the different units on this team. I mean we all expected much more form the secondary and the D-line right ? Hard to tell at this point is it scheme or is it the players ? This team is wildly inconsistent so who is at fault ?

You make some great points. I think at the beginning of the year nobody was expecting much out of us in terms of wins. Then we ended up 2nd in the division with a good win to loss ratio, and the media starts talking. Then we start losing and all are let down, SOJ blah blah.  I think everything is pretty much spot on. I don't see the team motivated at times especially the D. As far as Bowles is concerned I will reserve full judgement until next year. I am curious to see how the coach and GM will work together to put the team together that they want. The problem is I don't see this as a one to two year fix. I am in favor of the belief that you have to give a coach a few years to get his system and type of players in place. It will be an interesting off season to see what happens with our QB situation, O-line, D-Line. 

Overrated by who? Exactly how many wins are we supposed to have at this point?

There are a lot of fans who seem to be of the opinion that this is one of the more talented teams in the NFL. I strongly disagree, I think we are middle of the pack talent wise. I think the schedule broke favorably early on, and gave everyone a lot of false expectations for this team.

There are a lot of fans who seem to be of the opinion that this is one of the more talented teams in the NFL. I strongly disagree, I think we are middle of the pack talent wise. I think the schedule broke favorably early on, and gave everyone a lot of false expectations for this team.

On paper the Jets are one of the more talented teams in the NFL...Our players just don't look like they want to be on the field, they don't look like they care if they win or not. But there really aren't many teams who have as much talent as we do unfortunately our talent isn't at the QB position.

Its not just about the wins and losses. Its about rating the different units on this team. I mean we all expected much more form the secondary and the D-line right ? Hard to tell at this point is it scheme or is it the players ? This team is wildly inconsistent so who is at fault ?

The easy answer the last couple of years was Rex now the fans with all the answers have to be more creative..:)

I actually think we're meeting expectations at this point.  If you rewind to August, I would have had us here:

Browns (W)

Colts (L)

Eagles (L)

Dolphins (L)

Redskins (W)

Patriots (L)

Raiders (W)

Jaguars (W)

Bills (L)

Texans (W)

Back then, the Colts looked strong and I saw a split with the Fins and didn't think we would win in London.  The Raiders looked weak and I saw a split with the Bills with our traditional swoon to them at home.

So the only real difference to my (most of our) thinking is that the Colts and Dolphins were weaker than we thought and the Raiders and Texans were stronger than we thought.  5-5 is what I would have hoped for best-case entering December, and the thought back then was that the difference between 8-8 and 9-7 is a gutsy win over either the Giants, Patriots, or Cowboys.  That looks fairly likely now that the Boys are eliminated.

8-8 or 9-7 coming off of 4-12 with a completely rebuilt coaching staff and front office is an A+ accomplishment.

SAR I

We are at a crossroads, the season is not over yet. Fans overreact when win and when we lose. Lets wait and see what happens over the next few weeks. 

we are not at any crossroads. We are in year one of a total rebuild. This team has a serious talent deficit and we are starting to re tool. Going to take at least 3 offseasons to tell where we stand

we are not at any crossroads. We are in year one of a total rebuild. This team has a serious talent deficit and we are starting to re tool. Going to take at least 3 offseasons to tell where we stand

I don't agree. We are a flawed team but it is a flawed conference.  We can still finish strong based on the competition.

Here's what I think the biggest problem is: every August, a council of date-raping mooks in Wayne Chrebet jerseys gather at Jenk's and decide how good the team is supposed to be, and the rest of the fanbase treats these predictions, such as they are, as though they carry the weight of natural law. This often involves the wholesale invention of fictions like "2-win roster," which is how a coach who wins 4 games ends up lauded as an overachiever. This year's theme seems to be the reliable old Jets fan canard that quarterbacks are incidental to success, and a team with a a decent running game, good skill-position players, and a strong defense should be considered a shoo-in for the playoffs regardless of whatever bum they put under center. FO has the defense as 1st against the run, 6th against the pass, and 19th in variance, so I'm not sure why we're talking about them at all. You want to talk overrated? Ivory can't get any yards that aren't blocked for him; Fitzpatrick is an easy guy to root for (and he spared us another season of watching Geno), but he's never had so much as an average season in his career; and Marshall might be the single most overrated acquisition the Jets have ever made. Bowles has done plenty of stuff that's fair game for criticism, but this is essentially a 4-win roster with a fresh coat of paint slapped on it.

I think the DB's playing back is to avoid the popular 'pick' play everyone runs. There is no excuse for poor tackling though and everyone but Harris and Revis have been guilty of 'grandfathering' plays and that DOES reflect on the HC. Dropped passes is a lack of concentration that needs to be addressed. How many balls have our WR's dropped? Plenty, and in crucial situations. I watched a Patriots game last week and the color guy said Amendola had been charged with ONE dropped ball all year. Clearly, Gailey and Bowles have got to put their foot down on that. A pass that is defensed is one thing, but we all know the difference between that and a clear drop. Bench the one who drops it and next man up.

I don't agree.

We better have three very good drafts because this is a team built to win now. Maybe not the SB, but they were put together to make the playoffs and so far the effort level more than anything has been lacking. Can a coach not see on film when a guy like Pryor has a chance to light someone up and he puts an arm tackle on them? I can see it as it happens. This team's best players are mostly over 30, so if we are 'rebuilding or retooling' they better do it quick.

I think the DB's playing back is to avoid the popular 'pick' play everyone runs. There is no excuse for poor tackling though and everyone but Harris and Revis have been guilty of 'grandfathering' plays and that DOES reflect on the HC. Dropped passes is a lack of concentration that needs to be addressed. How many balls have our WR's dropped? Plenty, and in crucial situations. I watched a Patriots game last week and the color guy said Amendola had been charged with ONE dropped ball all year. Clearly, Gailey and Bowles have got to put their foot down on that. A pass that is defensed is one thing, but we all know the difference between that and a clear drop. Bench the one who drops it and next man up.

If they did that Marshall and Decker would be benched with the way they played lately..

Let's not over look the injuries either. Both RB's were injured and then Stacy went to IR. This team is improved over last season. Another draft, some good FA signings again. A trade or two (players or picks)  obtaining an improvement at QB and an uptick next season is not unrealistic. 

We better have three very good drafts because this is a team built to win now. Maybe not the SB, but they were put together to make the playoffs and so far the effort level more than anything has been lacking. Can a coach not see on film when a guy like Pryor has a chance to light someone up and he puts an arm tackle on them? I can see it as it happens. This team's best players are mostly over 30, so if we are 'rebuilding or retooling' they better do it quick.

That is why I don't agree that this is a "rebuilding" year.  We have players at their prime now.  I do agree that there are floors with this team however, almost the entire conference is floored.

The problem with accessing the talent on this roster is the age of the roster. This is one of the oldest rosters in the NFL.  You can look on paper and see names like Cromarte and DBrick and consider it talent because of the names,  But these guys are not what they used to be.  The same thing happens with draft picks. People will look at a player that was a first or second draft pick and consider it talent because they were high draft picks. That is not always the case,.

The problem with accessing the talent on this roster is the age of the roster. This is one of the oldest rosters in the NFL.  You can look on paper and see names like Cromarte and DBrick and consider it talent because of the names,  But these guys are not what they used to be.  The same thing happens with draft picks. People will look at a player that was a first or second draft pick and consider it talent because they were high draft picks. That is not always the case,.

Jets have the 6th oldest roster in the NFL.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age/

Gentlemen we lack what other good teams have a QB,cant win in the NFL without a decent QB. 

according to you we should have signed every FA available and you put up about 500 trades we should have made before the deadline so why bother with such a terrible QB ?

Fitz is not a terrible QB he's a good QB ...NOT GREAT but good and usually when you put all the right pieces in place a good QB can get it done. But we don't have all the pieces in place since we are missing 2 very important roles on offense that would certainly open things up, a TE of which we have absolutely no one and a RB, it would be the same if I suited up and played and I'm 51 years old in the case of a TE. We also have no threat out of the backfield that can make people miss and catch the damn ball when said QB has no other option.

Would have been dynamic if we drafted Gurley 6th over all .. I wanted him in the worst way or any young RB for that matter then you would be talking a very different tune about Fitz I promise you. Instead we have a Rookie on a unit that was once considered the strongest on the team but they can't apply pressure consistently so WTF good are they . Might as well plug in a bunch of Occupying JAG's and guild up the LB corp. like most good defenses that run in the 3-4 do.

I actually think we're meeting expectations at this point.  If you rewind to August, I would have had us here:

Browns (W)

Colts (L)

Eagles (L)

Dolphins (L)

Redskins (W)

Patriots (L)

Raiders (W)

Jaguars (W)

Bills (L)

Texans (W)

Back then, the Colts looked strong and I saw a split with the Fins and didn't think we would win in London.  The Raiders looked weak and I saw a split with the Bills with our traditional swoon to them at home.

So the only real difference to my (most of our) thinking is that the Colts and Dolphins were weaker than we thought and the Raiders and Texans were stronger than we thought.  5-5 is what I would have hoped for best-case entering December, and the thought back then was that the difference between 8-8 and 9-7 is a gutsy win over either the Giants, Patriots, or Cowboys.  That looks fairly likely now that the Boys are eliminated.

8-8 or 9-7 coming off of 4-12 with a completely rebuilt coaching staff and front office is an A+ accomplishment.

SAR I

What  do you think this teams record would be if our superstar D-line played up to expectations and totally destroyed and disrupted every QB we played against ? That scenario was certainly in the cards ...We seemed to be built exactly like the Seahawks of the past few years who made QB's lives miserable and pressed WR's shutting them down. We also had a back in the mold of Marshawn Lynch and pounder and beast a... OMG he's hurt again. Two nice possession WR's and a good pass blocking O-line. Only real weaknesses I saw was TE and receiving back so no check downs for Fitz .... We were also supposed to be a great run blocking team hell we've done it before now all of a sudden we can't block anyone.

This team was set up to win and it seems we are failing at positions that were supposed to be our strong suit so once again I ask who is to blame ? Do these players have no heart constantly coming out flat as hell or do they just not buy into Bowles System ? Bad teams or not we were 4-1 and seemed to be playing good football. The question was what would happen once they really got all the schemes down pat ...you know that had to be the question and so what did we get ? This team is progressively getting worse . That's not good and it tells me if it keeps up get ready for a huge house cleaning of players and maybe even a few coaches April and  Rodgers. you don't build with old washed up players young replace them with you enthusiastic ones.

according to you we should have signed every FA available and you put up about 500 trades we should have made before the deadline so why bother with such a terrible QB ?

Fitz is not a terrible QB he's a good QB ...NOT GREAT but good and usually when you put all the right pieces in place a good QB can get it done. But we don't have all the pieces in place since we are missing 2 very important roles on offense that would certainly open things up, a TE of which we have absolutely no one and a RB, it would be the same if I suited up and played and I'm 51 years old in the case of a TE. We also have no threat out of the backfield that can make people miss and catch the damn ball when said QB has no other option.

Would have been dynamic if we drafted Gurley 6th over all .. I wanted him in the worst way or any young RB for that matter then you would be talking a very different tune about Fitz I promise you. Instead we have a Rookie on a unit that was once considered the strongest on the team but they can't apply pressure consistently so WTF good are they . Might as well plug in a bunch of Occupying JAG's and guild up the LB corp. like most good defenses that run in the 3-4 do.

Fitz is not a good QB.

He has never had a winning season in his 10+ NFL career.

He hasn't beat a .500 plus team since 2011.

Seriously, how can you possibly say this guy is a "good" QB?

Just because he wears a Jets uniform?????

Fitz is not a good QB.

He has never had a winning season in his 10+ NFL career.

He hasn't beat a .500 plus team since 2011.

Seriously, how can you possibly say this guy is a "good" QB?

Just because he wears a Jets uniform?????

I say he's a good QB based on what I have seen him do. He's never played with a good offense or a good football team and he's is certainly not to blame for this team underachieving . Just so your aware the Jets have not beat many 500 + teams either .... if you want to blame some crappy bills teams and a Texans team that packed it in last year on Fitz than you are the one who needs to re-evaluate. Fitz moves this offense and he has made the plays to win and drops and tipped balls by his own receivers have killed this team. not Fitz.

I think I had this team at the usual .500 range prediction over the summer, even at 4-1 I figured the whole season would come down to week 17 in buffalo

now I just hope the jets aren't out of it for that game

:-(

really kind of sad  I had high expectations for this team based on the way we built up the defense they are just way too inconsistent to win anything at this stage.

Archived