Bowles Says no Lineup Changes for Struggling Jets

JetNation

I read an article about Gailey saying that he still has faith in Devin Smith and just doesn't want Smith to lose confidence in himself. And that he's looked better in practice. That kind of sounds like Eric Mangini. Who at times seemed to care more about practices than gameday. I don't want the Jets to use the regular season to try out players and build confidence in them. This is not the exhibition season. I'd hate to see Gailey again go to Smith in important situations with the game on the line. Build his confidence by giving him simpler routes that has a higher percentage for success. Not 30 yard passes in important situations. I don't get it why he goes to him in those kinds of clutch moments. You lose games that way. 

There was once this rookie WR that struggled with drops all season long...between him and JJ Stokes it was a wonder either scrub was still on the team.  Then this happened for the rookie in the play-offs and well, his career took off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iUDTAejSzw

Same could be said for Javon Walker if I wanted to tell the same story for another rookie who couldn't catch and became a building block.  Point is, we dont know what we have in Devin Smith, but this instant gratification we expect from draft picks is getting nauseating from our shortsighted fanbase...

There was once this rookie WR that struggled with drops all season long...between him and JJ Stokes it was a wonder either scrub was still on the team.  Then this happened for the rookie in the play-offs and well, his career took off.

Same could be said for Javon Walker if I wanted to tell the same story for another rookie who couldn't catch and became a building block.  Point is, we dont know what we have in Devin Smith, but this instant gratification we expect from draft picks is getting nauseating from our shortsighted fanbase...

at this time Kerley > D. Smith for WR3 spot

at this time Kerley > D. Smith for WR3 spot

Yeah, if you want a smaller, less physical, slower, weaker, less help in the run game version of Decker and marshall.  He's doesnt add any dimensions to the offense that isn't already on the field.  Unless he's covered by a LB or safety, the advantage goes to the defense.

Kerley is a classic case of a player the fanbase of the team respects him more than anyone outside the fanbase that sees him for what he is...a JAG.  Smith at least has speed, Enunwa can run block, has size and speed, kerley runs good routes at his 4.6 40 time...which is why teams often put LBs and safeties on him...most of the time the LB and safety is just as athletic and 50-50 can cover him.

Not sure why this fanbase has a hard-on for this guy...  

Let's measure that up against the things you've been wrong about and I'd argue this is a spraying sh*t and seeing what sticks kind of prediction coming true ;)

let me help you with that effort:

1. Matt Leinart would be good

2. Sandy Alderson was the antichrist

3. Robert Gallery would be great.

other than those, I'm 100%

Kerley doesnt add any dimensions to the offense that isn't already on the field.  

Smith at least has speed

kerley catches the ball when it's thrown to him, smith has not shown that he can do the same.

please remind me, what is a WR's primary job again?

kerley catches the ball when it's thrown to him, smith has not shown that he can do the same.

I would bet a WR coaches response would be if you think a WR's only job is catching a football, this game is far too complicated and complex for me to even know where to begin on describing their responsibilities.

We are rotating 3 different WRs in the #3 WR spot...do you think Enunwa, Devin Smith, and Kerley's responsibilties and expectations are the same when they check into the game...or do you seriously think coaches just ask them to catch the ball?

Wake me up when you're ready to have a serious conversation on this topic.  

Devin Smith is a rookie that dropped some big balls.  He isn't the first and wont be the last.  When you try to make it more than that, you're reaching.  He hasnt even been in the league long enough to call this a "trend."  You're projecting 1 game across a career...which is pathetic SOJ mentality that is boring and annoying.

If Cro gets substantial playing time, I hope Tannehill beats him for three TDs in the first half and Bowles is shamed into admitting how stupid the signing was.

Double this and the amount of points given up 

I would bet a WR coaches response would be if you think a WR's only job is catching a football, this game is far too complicated and complex for me to even know where to begin on describing their responsibilities.

I didn't ask you to tell me what all of the jobs a WR has are.

i asked you what his first and most important job is.

you can try to confuse & complex your answer  any way that you like friend ... However if the WR doesn't catch the ball it won't mean squat!

You're right. And you can say the same of Jerry Rice. As I recall Wesley Walker dropped a lot his first year, too. And it seems like the Jets coaching staff thinks highly of Smith and his talent. But what I meant was you don't go with a guy in clutch situations with the game on the line if he's an unproven receiver who has not been playing well. You break him in slowly and if you want to go deep to him earlier in the game. If it's a win or loss situation you go with your known quantity. And they did that yesterday with Devin. If he does come through this we have a good weapon. But Marshall was the man yesterday. 

You're right. And you can say the same of Jerry Rice. As I recall Wesley Walker dropped a lot his first year, too. And it seems like the Jets coaching staff thinks highly of Smith and his talent. But what I meant was you don't go with a guy in clutch situations with the game on the line if he's an unproven receiver who has not been playing well. You break him in slowly and if you want to go deep to him earlier in the game. If it's a win or loss situation you go with your known quantity. And they did that yesterday with Devin. If he does come through this we have a good weapon. But Marshall was the man yesterday. 

which is why the video I posted is so relevant...the 9ers win that play-off game because they did exactly the opposite of what you state above.  

You play the best players and you go to the open guy.  He will learn as he goes.  Why was Seattle even in the Super Bowl last year?  The guy who kept getting open all game was a guy who didn't catch a pass all season and went Undrafted.  130 yards later, he looks like Calvin Johnson vs the Pats secondary.  You throw to the guy that's open.

if we put Kerley in place of smith, it doesn't matter, because Kerley doesn't get open running those routes and that entire play was set up by a scenario of plays earlier in the game that sets up that route for a player with devin's talent.

i don't understand how fans don't know what they're watching.  Football is a game of chess.  Each play in a game plan is intracetly selected to look and interact with other plays in the playbook.  

The jets aren't using Kerley for a reason, he doesn't give them the advantages they're looking for when attacking defenses within the structure of their offense.  It's that simple.  His game is entirely with 15 yards of the line of scrimmage...he can't get deeper than that in the 2.x seconds a QB has to make a play....

if smith gives our offense what it needs, and he obviously does, then you don't enable his inconsistencies by playing him inconsistently.

you suck it up and go through the growing pains like every young wr does...or TO never makes that catch to win at GB in the playoffs, because you're playing some tool like Kerley instead who never gets the separation needed to make that play...

which is why the video I posted is so relevant...the 9ers win that play-off game because they did exactly the opposite of what you state above.  

You play the best players and you go to the open guy.  He will learn as he goes.  Why was Seattle even in the Super Bowl last year?  The guy who kept getting open all game was a guy who didn't catch a pass all season and went Undrafted.  130 yards later, he looks like Calvin Johnson vs the Pats secondary.  You throw to the guy that's open.

if we put Kerley in place of smith, it doesn't matter, because Kerley doesn't get open running those routes and that entire play was set up by a scenario of plays earlier in the game that sets up that route for a player with devin's talent.

i don't understand how fans don't know what they're watching.  Football is a game of chess.  Each play in a game plan is intracetly selected to look and interact with other plays in the playbook.  

The jets aren't using Kerley for a reason, he doesn't give them the advantages they're looking for when attacking defenses within the structure of their offense.  It's that simple.  His game is entirely with 15 yards of the line of scrimmage...he can't get deeper than that in the 2.x seconds a QB has to make a play....

if smith gives our offense what it needs, and he obviously does, then you don't enable his inconsistencies by playing him inconsistently.

you suck it up and go through the growing pains like every young wr does...or TO never makes that catch to win at GB in the playoffs, because you're playing some tool like Kerley instead who never gets the separation needed to make that play...

I disagree when the game is on the line. You don't go with untested players who have been having problems learning the offense and not playing well. right now Devin Smith is not one of your best players. You go with a higher percentage play. For the Jets these long passes on a 3rd down and maybe 6 usually don't work. Overall there isn't the execution needed to pull of these plays successfully. Earlier in the game ok. But not when not getting a first down means you could lose the game. Smith isn't ready for this yet. They went to Marshall yesterday and look what he did. He was awesome. As for Kerley and Cumberland. They imo should be getting more targers. And the short passing game to me makes sense for this Qb and receivers. But yesterday the longer plays worked. 

Archived