Calvin Pryor & Devin Smith...

kelly

— Devin Smith sat at his locker, his back to the rest of the room. Sitting next to him was Karl Dorrell, the Jets' receivers coach. Dorell looked like he was doing a lot of the talking. Smith looked like he needed a pick-me-up.

It was moments after the Jets' 24-17 loss last week at the Texans. Smith, a second-round pick who's battled injuries in this, his rookie season, had just had his second straight rough game: a pair of drops, including a sure touchdown on a deep ball."After the game, he was hurt, which, you would expect," offensive coordinator Chan Gailey said. "Right now, we've got to get his confidence back. That's the biggest thing."

Smith has had trouble adjusting to the NFL as a rookie: just seven catches on 21 targets for 82 yards. He also had a killer fumble that was returned for a touchdown on a kickoff return in Week 10 against the Bills.But it was after the Texans loss—the Jets' fourth defeat in five games—that head coach Todd Bowles seemed especially irked with the play of the Jets' rookies, and of Smith in particular."Our rookies have got to stop being rookies," Bowles said. "They need to grow up. They get paid like everybody else, and they've got to start acting like they're not in college anymore."

It is tempting to refer to Smith as a bust, to imagine that his rookie struggles are a harbinger of things to come. The laziest of these assumptions assumes Smith will turn out no differently than Stephen Hill, a receiver and second-round pick was cut after just his third training camp. As if one has anything to do with the other.But even Gailey had said last month that Smith's adjustment to the NFL had been "a longer process than I think any of us thought it would be." Smith had missed minicamp because of the birth of his son, and all of training camp because of injury.

"You really think about it, he might be close to being at the end of training camp right now," Gailey said last month. "He's got some work to do and you don't get the reps that you got in training camp. You probably get half the number of reps [in the regular season] that you would get in training camp."And for every impact rookie receiver like Amari Cooper of the Raiders, there are dozens every year who take time to get their sea legs."I went through the same struggles last year, so I definitely know where you're coming from," Jets safety Calvin Pryor, a 2014 first-round pick, told NJ Advance Media.

Pryor has blossomed into an integral piece of the Jets' defense this season. But he remembered hearing a lot of the same negative talk as rookie."He'll be fine," Pryor said. "You just have to stay positive and just keep playing football. It's how you react to it and respond to it."

A positive: Smith has been getting open, and he's been doing that at various points this season. It's that fact that has the Jets feeling the catches will come. He also performed well during his return to practice this week, according to Gailey, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, and wideout Eric Decker."When you don't have the amount of reps during practice, it is difficult," Decker said. "I think there's so much potential that he has. For me, to see kind of where he goes from now is going to really tell a lot about his character."

"Confidence in yourself is a big thing, especially when you're young," Fitzpatrick told NJ Advance Media.

Wideout Brandon Marshall has been especially supportive of Smith."If you lose your confidence and you stop believing in yourself, you're done," Marshall said. "You might as well retire."

Fitzpatrick said playing wide receiver makes for an especially tough transition for a rookie."There's a lot of different formations, and maybe you're not used to moving around," Fitzpatrick said. "There's a lot of stuff that's put on receivers in terms of reading coverages and defense. The other thing is, you're a guy that's come from college that gets thrown the ball all the time. That's a tough adjustment, too, just knowing when the ball is coming."

Smith, for his part, remains confident, even if he's had his moments of quiet doubt."My time is coming," he said. "I know it is."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/calvin_pryor_can_relate_to_devin_smiths_rookie_str.html#incart_river_index

Devin Smith follows Brandon Marshall's lead and scores first TD

. –- Shortly after Devin Smith secured his first catch of the game with both hands midway through the first quarter, Brandon Marshall had a message for the Jets rookie receiver.

“‘Welcome to the NFL,’” Marshall said he told Smith in jest. “About time, you know?”

After a rocky start to his rookie season marred by injury and drops, Smith caught his first touchdown to help the Jets roll over the Dolphins, 38-20, at MetLife Stadium.

Smith rebounded from a disastrous game last week that saw him drop a would-be 46-yard touchdown bomb in the Jets’ loss at Houston. The Ohio State speedster had two catches for 33 yards, including a 16-yard touchdown strike from Ryan Fitzpatrick that pushed the Jets up 14-0 in the second quarter.Upon making the first touchdown catch of his NFL career, Smith was mobbed by teammates in the end zone. All week long, veterans like Marshall had been in Smith’s ear to make sure the rookie did not fall into a mental abyss and fail to rebound from last Sunday’s loss.“He had a tough week and rightfully so,” Marshall said. “He read some of that stuff (written about his struggles), heard some of that stuff but he responded amazingly. We need him because there are teams that double myself, double (Eric Decker), if we can get him rolling like he did today, that will be really good for our offense and team. I am proud of him and he deserves it.”

Marshall said he had to make more plays and he held up his end of the bargain with nine receptions for 131 yards and two touchdowns. Decker added five catches for 62 yards and one touchdown.“There is no ‘I’ in team but I get paid a lot of money to make plays and if I feel like if I just do my job, it may be the difference,” Marshall said. “Go back to the Patriots game, and that back-shoulder throw, if I catch that ball we probably win the game.”Smith certainly has his share of regrets this season. Drafted in the second round to stretch the field with his big-play ability, Smith missed most of the preseason when he suffered broken ribs and a partially punctured lung while making an impressive catch early in camp.

He fumbled a kickoff return in a loss to Buffalo that led to a Bills’ touchdown. And then after Smith dropped two passes at Houston Texans, head coach Todd Bowles said the rookies on the team needed to grow up and stop playing like rookies.“I knew my time was coming so I wasn’t too worried about it,” Smith said about staying upbeat this past week. “But those two drops that I did have, any football player would be upset about that. All the guys told me don’t worry about it. Just keep moving forward.”

Now the Jets are excited about the prospects of their explosive rookie contributing more from here on out.“It was such a trust throw,” Fitzpatrick said of his touchdown to Smith. “He had to cross the face of an inside-leverage corner and he goes up and makes a great catch. All week people kept asking me about him and he’s a guy that has played in big football games and made a lot of great plays (at Ohio State).

“So his emergence and just the fact that he is going to continue to get better is really going to help us.”

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56565/devin-smith-follows-brandon-marshalls-lead-and-scores-first-td

Smith looked much better yesterday.  Pryor is now looking like a starting safety.  ThanksMcIdzik!

Not to take anything away from Pryor, who is looking really good, but when you only have 2 healthy safeties on your team, by definition they both sort of have to 'look like starters' :)

I kind of wish we could of gotten Marshall a little younger. Just to see his play up close for a little longer. Guy is amazing..and he is a great mentor to Smith. We need this bad because to be honest the faces of this team may be Revis,Marshall and Harris now but soon it will be Marcus Williams,Mauldin and Smith.

I kind of wish we could of gotten Marshall a little younger. Just to see his play up close for a little longer. Guy is amazing..and he is a great mentor to Smith. We need this bad because to be honest the faces of this team may be Revis,Marshall and Harris now but soon it will be Marcus Williams,Mauldin and Smith.

Marshall was a head case when he was younger. I like the current version better.

I love Marshall but he still seems to be lobbying Fitzpatrick between every play for more targets.

Not sure that is such a bad thing, or done in a Meshawn give me the ball way. I love seeing him look over at Fitz and signal for the back shoulder throw when he sees single coverage. When was the last time a Jet offensive player wanted the ball, made big plays and held himself accountable for those he didn't?

Yep why would you want a wideout that didn't want the ball?? KJ wanted it every snap including running plays..LOL

So did Jerry Rice.

Listen to Dan Fouts one time.  He had to scream at all of his guys back with the Air Coryell, because they were all "Always Open".  He actually got a baseball hat that he wore in training camp, "HMFC"    "Head Mother F**** in Charge"

— So, Calvin Pryor, what did you think of Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill calling you "classless" for celebrating your big hit that wound up injuring receiver Rishard Matthews during the Jets' 38-20 win on Sunday?

First of all, here's the hit by Pryor, a Jets strong safety, which came on third down in the first quarter  :

Matthews injured his chest and ribs and didn't return to the game. Here's Pryor's response to Tannehill: 

Calvin Pryor III

@star_island25

Throw a better ball next time @ryantannehill1 teammate would've never got injured!!! Sorry if you felt I was classless at the moment.

tIy6PDcN_normal.jpg Calvin Pryor III

@star_island25

I was definitely celebrating the great play I made. I would never celebrate someone getting injured during the game. C'mon now

We all clear on that  ?

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/calvin_pryor_fires_back_at_ryan_tannehill_throw_a.html#incart_river_index

Not sure that is such a bad thing, or done in a Meshawn give me the ball way. I love seeing him look over at Fitz and signal for the back shoulder throw when he sees single coverage. When was the last time a Jet offensive player wanted the ball, made big plays and held himself accountable for those he didn't?

He also seems to be mentoring/rooting for Devin; he says all the right things, hopefully he stays this way and we can have him play at a high level and be a good teammate for the next few years.

You're right. You could see it yesterday. He wanted the ball but he didnt look angry. He just looked like he saw something and wanted to get his team a TD so he was communicating with Fitz. I used to do it all the time. You run your route. You see the way the defense reacts to it. Then you talk to your OC or QB on how to exploit whatever you saw. I think he has come a long way from the "disgruntled star wideout" he used to be.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Predictably, the Jets defended Calvin Pryor, who was accused by Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill of celebrating an injury to WR Rishard Matthews. Tannehill called it a "classless move." Jets CB Antonio Cromartie said: "That's his opinion. We were celebrating the kind of hit it was. It was a big hit and it set the tone early in the game. We don't wish any injury on anybody." Coach Todd Bowles expressed the same sentiment.

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

-- Three days later, Calvin Pryor still was chafed by Ryan Tannehill's claim he celebrated an injury to wide receiver Richard Matthews.

"For him to call me classless, he tried to like downgrade me a little bit," the New York Jets safety said Wednesday. "He could've come and said something to me after the game, but don't go talk to the media about it."

Pryor leveled Matthews with a violent but legal hit in the first quarter of the Jets' 38-20 win over the Miami Dolphins. Matthews went down for a couple of minutes, eventually walking off with shoulder and rib injuries. He didn't return.Afterward, Tannehill accused Pryor of celebrating the injury, calling it a "classless" move. Pryor fired back on Twitter, and again Wednesday."I was kind of shocked," Pryor said of Tannehill's criticism. "I had to let him know it never would've happened if you didn't put your player in that position. Don't fault me for making a big hit."

Actually, Tannehill was more upset with Pryor's reaction to the hit than the hit itself. Yes, Pryor was fired up, but the replay shows he was walking away from Matthews as he celebrated, if you could call it that. A truly classless gesture would've been what Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Greg Lloyd did to an unconscious Al Toon in 1988. Lloyd knelt near Toon and counted out the Jets' receiver, slapping the turf like a wrestling referee.

Pryor's mood changed as soon as he realized Matthews was hurt. He gave Matthews a respectful tap on the helmet as he walked toward the sideline. There was no irreverent celebration."If people want to make me out to be the bad guy," Pryor said, "I'm fine with it."

The Jets said Pryor's big hit was a tone setter for the game, so you have to wonder if he will try to, uh, set another tone Sunday against New York Giants star Odell Beckham Jr.

"That's not my intention going into this game," Pryor said. "That wasn't my intention in the last game. I'm not trying to take anybody out. If the play is there, we want to take it. Hopefully, his quarterback doesn't put him in a position for that to happen."

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56674/jets-s-calvin-pryor-still-fired-up-by-ryan-tannehills-classless-comment

A warning for all players who wind up in the vicinity of Calvin Pryor: Do so at your own risk. That goes for Odell Beckham Jr., Rashad Jennings, Rueben Randle, Orleans Darkwa, Andre Williams or any Giant who comes face-to-face with the Jets’ hard-hitting safety. He is coming to get you. With playoff implications on the line for both teams, it is Pryor who could have a huge impact on which one takes a major step forward. The second-year safety just might be the most improved player on the field for either team. That’s good news for the Jets, but not so much for Giants, many of whom will be in Pryor’s sights on Sunday.

Dolphins receiver Rishard Matthews felt the brunt of Pryor’s latest big hit in the first quarter of the Jets’ 38-20 win last Sunday, as Matthews suffered fractured ribs on a play that set the tone early. With Matthews on the ground, Pryor gestured to the crowd, a move that Miami quarterback Ryan Tannehill called “classless” after the game. But Pryor said he wasn’t celebrating that Matthews was hurt, just trying to energize the fans and his teammates.It was the kind of play Pryor became known for at Louisville, where he was a highlight reel of big hits on receivers and running backs. It was also the type of collision that would be approved by Pryor’s NFL mentor: hard-hitting Kam Chancellor, who presides over the Seahawks’ “Legion of Boom” secondary.

“I’ve watched over the past few years and the way he voices his opinion and everyone follows him, and he’s definitely the leader of that group there in Seattle,” said Pryor, who has developed a friendship with Chancellor after the Seattle safety reached out to him after Pryor was drafted. “That’s somebody who’s inspired me to be better every day. I’m trying to fill those shoes. They’re hard shoes to fill, but that’s definitely someone I look up to.”Pryor’s surprising emergence — he struggled last season and heard whispers he might be a first-round bust — has been a key factor for the Jets’ defensive improvement. Much has been made of the additions of cornerbacks Darrelle Revis, who is likely to miss Sunday’s game with a concussion, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine and Marcus Gilchrist, Pryor’s dramatic improvement is as big a reason as any.

At age 23.

“To see him grow from training camp to now, it’s like two different players,” Skrine said. “I think he’s going to be a dominant player here for a long time.”

Linebacker Demario Davis thinks Pryor’s greater understanding of the defense is allowing him to play like he did at Louisville.“I think the biggest jump you see guys make is between year one and year two, and he’s made that jump as well as you can make it,” Davis said of Pryor. “If you go back and watch him as a college player, you’ve seen how he was able to fly around and find the football and make big hits.”

Look for plenty more on Sunday.

>     http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/jets-safety-calvin-pryor-a-force-in-his-second-season-1.11190782

Thank you!!!!

Folks are complaining that a guy wants the pressure on him with the game in his hands who has ability to deliver after what we were subject to out here!!!

Amazing!

Marcus, Mauldin, and who? Those 3 will never be the face of this team. If they are, that means we are Browns level bad.

• 2 weeks later...

-- A look at the New York Jets players who were “up” and those who were “down” in Sunday's dominating 30-8 victory over the Tennessee Titans at MetLife Stadium :

~ ~  DOWN

Calvin Pryor, safety: The Jets didn't do many things wrong, but Pryor made one of the most glaring mistakes. Actually, it was more of an accident than a mistake. Covering Marcus Mariota, who was split out on a Wildcat play, Pryor stumbled in the open field, leaving the rookie all alone for an easy 41-yard touchdown. If he didn't trip, the Jets might have had their first shutout win since the 2009 playoffs, when they blanked the Cincinnati Bengals, 37-0. To his credit, Pryor saved a touchdown in the fourth quarter, chasing down Harry Douglas on a 51-yard reception -- a great hustle play.

rest of above article :

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57047/mo-wilkerson-up-calvin-pryor-down-in-jets-win

Archived