Whats wrong with the DEFENSE,heres the answer.

joewilly12

Copied this from a post Kelly posted that most probably wont see or bother to read. 

4. The 4-3 isn't working: When Sheldon Richardson returned from his suspension in Week 6, the Jets adjusted the defense, morphing from a 3-4 scheme into more 4-3 fronts. It seemed to make sense because it allowed the Big Four -- Richardson, Muhammad WilkersonDamon Harrison and Leonard Williams -- to play at the same time, at least on first and second downs. In reality, it hasn't helped because the Jets are essentially playing with four defensive tackles, hurting the outside pass rush. Less pressure means fewer hurried throws, and that has resulted in fewer takeaways -- only five over the past five games, compared to 15 in the first five. It's simple, really: When the Jets have multiple takeaways in a game, they win. They're 5-0 in those games.

It means the Leonard Williams pick did not result in a platinum DL.  It resulted in the Jets having too many 1st round DL.  One needs to go.

Only they know whether Richardson is worthy of a long-term contract commitment-not by how much he plays, but by whether he can stay out of trouble.

If I am Woody I am calling Goodell and asking him to suspend Richardson the entire year.  Sends a message, saves the money, opens a roster spot, teaches him a lesson.  Then we can trade him.

It means the Leonard Williams pick did not result in a platinum DL.  It resulted in the Jets having too many 1st round DL.  One needs to go.

Only they know whether Richardson is worthy of a long-term contract commitment-not by how much he plays, but by whether he can stay out of trouble.

If I am Woody I am calling Goodell and asking him to suspend Richardson the entire year.  Sends a message, saves the money, opens a roster spot, teaches him a lesson.  Then we can trade him.

Our "all star" DL generates almost no pass rush on it's own and that is a huge issue. Stopping the run is great, but you can be acceptable at stopping the run with just slightly above average players. 

Pass rush. disruption in the backfield and TFL are what you want out of your DL and we do not get a huge amount of that.

I think I would seriously consider keeping only Williams and Snacks long term. As good as Wilkerson is he is not worth $12+ million a year or the Watt money he wants. Let him go and get a compensatory pick.

Sheldon is a block head. I am not convinced he has learned his lesson.

Snacks is and continues to be one of the better NT in the NFL and that is really valuable. Because of Sheldon and Mo he goes pretty unnoticed so we can probably keep him on a high value, relatively low cap hit contract.

I think with just Snacks and Williams (and Sheldon next year) we can build a DL that will really be just as effective as the one we have now and not break the bank doing it.

We  need to upgrade our LBs Mauldin is a start Davis has been a JAG Harris is doing what Harris does consistent mainstay at ILB Pace is old and slow.

Wish we had a Luke Keuchly/Clay Matthews type LB on this team. 

Well Clay Matthews, if you remember, was an OLB moved to ILB. I wonder if that's the way the league is going to go, to have more athletic ILB's.

Richardson hasn't done much in his limited return. And more importantly, his Madden stats have dropped and his overall rating is in the 80's. Clearly he sucks.

I can sense the sarcasm in the madden example but I just wanted to quote this to say I personally believe when putting injuries and outside distractions aside that Sheldon is the best football player the Jets have. If I was ranking the Jets from best to worst I think I put him at #1. 

I can sense the sarcasm in the madden example but I just wanted to quote this to say I personally believe when putting injuries and outside distractions aside that Sheldon is the best football player the Jets have. If I was ranking the Jets from best to worst I think I put him at #1. 

It was a joke, not directed at anyone. I like citing Madden, because I like Madden. And Sheldon was awesome last season, but hasn't been around much this year. I hope he gets back to form, but as of now, he isn't better than Mo which is hard for me to say since I said the opposite until a few weeks ago. And Revis and Decker > Sheldon.

It was a joke, not directed at anyone. I like citing Madden, because I like Madden. And Sheldon was awesome last season, but hasn't been around much this year. I hope he gets back to form, but as of now, he isn't better than Mo which is hard for me to say since I said the opposite until a few weeks ago. And Revis and Decker > Sheldon.

Revis in his prime is >>> than anyone else on the team. At this stage in his career probably not. I'd go (injuries aside, just pure talent level at this stage in their careers) Sheldon>Revis>Mo> Mangold. Probably Marshall after that. 

IMO, the problem is LBs. ALL OF THEM!!

theyre too damn slow. Harris, a pleasant surprise through the first few games, looks like an old tacke-to-tackle LB...at best. Houston ran right at him on more than a few occasions.

and our OLBs don't apply any pressure.

improve the LBs !!!

We all knew that the Jets would be attacked at th 2nd level this season. Slow LB'ers cause a major problem for a defense. Add in the missed tackles by Davis and you see the results. With Coples now out of the picture we may see better results. Big Mo is having a Pro Bowl season.

Copied this from a post Kelly posted that most probably wont see or bother to read. 

4. The 4-3 isn't working: When Sheldon Richardson returned from his suspension in Week 6, the Jets adjusted the defense, morphing from a 3-4 scheme into more 4-3 fronts. It seemed to make sense because it allowed the Big Four -- Richardson, Muhammad WilkersonDamon Harrison and Leonard Williams -- to play at the same time, at least on first and second downs. In reality, it hasn't helped because the Jets are essentially playing with four defensive tackles, hurting the outside pass rush. Less pressure means fewer hurried throws, and that has resulted in fewer takeaways -- only five over the past five games, compared to 15 in the first five. It's simple, really: When the Jets have multiple takeaways in a game, they win. They're 5-0 in those games.

This is why drafting Williams was a mistake.  Gurley was the pick to make.  Ivory is fragile as a teacup.  As it is, its inevitable there will be a shakep on the DL next year.  Its already stared with the departure of Coples.  Either Mo or Sheldon gets traded.  Makes zero sense to keep them both. You're not trading Williams, he just got here. Snacks has proved indispensable in his role.  I love MO but he is older than Sheldon, is due to make 12 mil franchised and could garner a couple of high picks.  The again, we might just draft another DL with our #1 again. 

The problems with the D are:

1) There is no edge rusher that scares you.  We'll find out the rest of the year if Mauldin can be that guy, but I'm not sold.

2) There isn't enough playmaking ability from the linebacker position. Sure Harris is solid but how often does he or Davis make a game-changing play? NEVER

3) They stopped effectively blitzing DBs with Pryor and Skrine banged up.

Years of drafting interior DL has hurt them.  Linebacker and o-line have been ignored for far too long, and those are the position groups Maccagnan must focus on this offseason.

This is why drafting Williams was a mistake.  Gurley was the pick to make.  Ivory is fragile as a teacup.  As it is, its inevitable there will be a shakep on the DL next year.  Its already stared with the departure of Coples.  Either Mo or Sheldon gets traded.  Makes zero sense to keep them both. You're not trading Williams, he just got here. Snacks has proved indispensable in his role.  I love MO but he is older than Sheldon, is due to make 12 mil franchised and could garner a couple of high picks.  The again, we might just draft another DL with our #1 again. 

While Gurley looks like a stud, it's too early to make that claim. He would have been an extremely risky pick. In a league where the running back position is severely devalued, it wouldn't make sense to pick Gurley with a borderline top 5 pick, especially considering he was coming off ACL surgery. You can find good running backs in the later rounds (IE , Latvius Murray, Devonta Freeman, Justin Forsett). Williams was considered the best player in the draft by many and given our foggy future at DL, it was a smart decision. 

If you want to argue that Beasley, White, or even one of the tackles would have been a better choice, then I think you would have a stronger claim. 

Revis in his prime is >>> than anyone else on the team. At this stage in his career probably not. I'd go (injuries aside, just pure talent level at this stage in their careers) Sheldon>Revis>Mo> Mangold. Probably Marshall after that. 

Thats crazy talk. Sheldon has done nothing to warrant such praise.

Why do you say that?

While Gurley looks like a stud, it's too early to make that claim. He would have been an extremely risky pick. In a league where the running back position is severely devalued, it wouldn't make sense to pick Gurley with a borderline top 5 pick, especially considering he was coming off ACL surgery. You can find good running backs in the later rounds (IE , Latvius Murray, Devonta Freeman, Justin Forsett). Williams was considered the best player in the draft by many and given our foggy future at DL, it was a smart decision. 

If you want to argue that Beasley, White, or even one of the tackles would have been a better choice, then I think you would have a stronger claim. 

No risk no reward.  Any of these guys career can be over on the next play.  We haven't had a runner like Gurely since Freeman McNeil.  Where is White now. He hasn't even seen the  field.   No guarantee he will either.    

Thats crazy talk. Sheldon has done nothing to warrant such praise.

he won DROY his first year and was a pro bowler his second. Some guys were calling him the next Sapp. He's gotten into trouble, he got suspended and is nicked up. But from a pure talent standpoint, I think he's the most talented on the team. 

The problems with the D are:

1) There is no edge rusher that scares you.  We'll find out the rest of the year if Mauldin can be that guy, but I'm not sold.

2) There isn't enough playmaking ability from the linebacker position. Sure Harris is solid but how often does he or Davis make a game-changing play? NEVER

3) They stopped effectively blitzing DBs with Pryor and Skrine banged up.

Years of drafting interior DL has hurt them.  Linebacker and o-line have been ignored for far too long, and those are the position groups Maccagnan must focus on this offseason.

I'm a big fan of our OLB Trevor Reilly. He's a much better football player than Mauldin, given just not quite as fast off the edge. Maybe the best motor on the team though. We should give him more snaps on passing downs to pass rush.

he won DROY his first year and was a pro bowler his second. Some guys were calling him the next Sapp. He's gotten into trouble, he got suspended and is nicked up. But from a pure talent standpoint, I think he's the most talented on the team. 

What?

7YkF2tnREanUGkWxCTHB_revis.jpg

You're not serious, are you? Stop, you're making me laugh.

darrelle-revis-jets-031215.jpg

You were close..soooo close..but not quite.

14472380-mmmain.jpg

No risk no reward.  Any of these guys career can be over on the next play.  We haven't had a runner like Gurely since Freeman McNeil.  Where is White now. He hasn't even seen the  field.   No guarantee he will either.    

Yes, but good running backs can be found in the later rounds, much more so than DL. Williams was a low risk, high reward in a position that is more important and valued in today's NFL than RB. While sacks isn't an end all stat for DL, look at the leaders in the NFL. All besides Wake and Atkins were first round picks. You find stud RBs in the later rounds pretty frequently.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that Richardson is a moron, and a suspension makes the cap and the decisions manageable. But if the NFLPA ever caught ind of such a thing they would rightly lose their sheet. 

Coward.

You copied ana pasted an idea from one of her threads thinking it was a good idea and then when someone calls you on it, you blame her.

High school can't end soon enough huh?

GFY I copied this from a post she made in another thread that most wouldn't see to discuss the defense I never penned it as mine 97 posts and you are calling people out here on this forum GFY better yet drop dead.

Archived