Could A New Pass Rushing Star Emerge For The Jets?

Nostradamus

ummm actually no he wears #53 and is an OLB....the website is incorrect. Him and Sheldon Richardson play 2 different positions, so one has nothing to do with the other.  He took Coples spot and is being used as a rush OLB 

Coples played 5 snaps last week no one seems to realize this. 

ummm actually no he wears #53 and is an OLB....the website is incorrect. Him and Sheldon Richardson play 2 different positions, so one has nothing to do with the other.  He took Coples spot and is being used as a rush OLB 

Yes. The Jets official website has one of their players incorrectly listed. He's a defensive end. He was added to the active roster when it was apparent Richardson wouldn't play. Not sure what else to tell you.

they are both outside edge rushers, the OLB/DE tag means little since the jets show multiple fronts anyway. I'll choose to believe they cut coples knowing they had another player to take his place 

They do. Their names are Mauldin and Reilly. They barely use a 4th linebacker as is. It's almost always five DBs and four lineman. 7th round pick of the Chiefs and practice squad player Catapano is not the reason they cut Coples. That was a financial and scheme decision. Catapano may be a diamond in the rough, but he saw two snaps on the defensive line. He won't be needed with Richardson back. 

Yes. The Jets official website has one of their players incorrectly listed. He's a defensive end. He was added to the active roster when it was apparent Richardson wouldn't play. Not sure what else to tell you.

They do. Their names are Mauldin and Reilly. They barely use a 4th linebacker as is. It's almost always five DBs and four lineman. 7th round pick of the Chiefs and practice squad player Catapano is not the reason they cut Coples. That was a financial and scheme decision. Catapano may be a diamond in the rough, but he saw two snaps on the defensive line. He won't be needed with Richardson back. 

6136214216_3bf2e4ab66.jpg

I am friends with a player as well as someone in front office.  They didn't give too much info other than he was steadily very disruptive and made things difficult on the first team offense in practice.   Definitely earned his way up to the main roster with his play in practice.  Hopefully it translates to the game.  

Nice...

And thank you!!!

One of the starters may well not be here next year and this guy may well take one their places...

well...here is what I know for sure 100%:   1) Catapano is being used as an outside linebacker in practice NOT a DE despite whatever the team's website may say.  The coaches don't run the website.  It also has him listed as 270 lbs and listed as a 3rd string DE on depth chart...none of this is factually accurate...its only a website.   Catapano and Richardson play 2 different positions.  Richardson practices with the linemen and Catapano practices with the linebackers.     2) He will definitely be active tomorrow   3) Coaching staff is high on him and thinks he can be a good player.    How it all plays out we will have to see.   

the jets pass rush has been ineffective though,  they need someone to step up and get pressure on the QB especially with Revis out. My guess is that they try a few different looks up front now that they have Richardson back 

yep.  newly acquired Josh Martin is talented as well...he is a special teams ACE.   With Pace being 34 yrs old that leaves the rest of the season for the staff to figure out who Mauldin, Catapano, Reilly and Martin are.   They already figured out who Coples was and thats why he is gone.   My guess out of that group Mauldin and Catapano have the most upside as far as pass rushers

the jets pass rush has been ineffective though,  they need someone to step up and get pressure on the QB especially with Revis out. My guess is that they try a few different looks up front now that they have Richardson back 

So riddle me this: who are you deactivating from the 46 to have Catapano play today? Don't tell me he is taking Revis' spot. That will be Milliner. Don't tell me Coples, that will likely be the new OLB. 

So riddle me this: who are you deactivating from the 46 to have Catapano play today? Don't tell me he is taking Revis' spot. That will be Milliner. Don't tell me Coples, that will likely be the new OLB. 

riddle me this: catapano with a pressure to force a 3 and out. do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Coples and Catapano play two different positions. Coples played 5 plays last week. Catapano played 2. I think they'll be fine without either of them active. Richardson healthy means Catapano will be inactive. Coples being cut means more Mauldin and Reilly. 

great opinion by the way LOL

blissful ignorance? you mean you were right and catapano didn't make the active roster?

It was my opinion he wouldn't be on it. Based on deductive reasoning. My assumption was incorrect. He played 2 snaps last week. The player he replaced on the roster is now healthy. It didn't make sense that he would be active. The player they made inactive instead was the practice squad pickup. He obviously wasn't ready to contribute yet. When he is or when Revis is healthy Catapano will find his way to the bench. 

Catapano seemed decent. Could one of the talent experts help with an objective evaluation of today's game? If this guy is equal to or better than Coples it gives me renewed trust in our new leadership.

I was surprised he was active and that he got as much run as he did. Pace's injury exacerbated it. Seemed like he was in the nickel package exclusively as a stand up behind the 3 man front and just asked to go get the QB with Mauldin. He did drop into coverage a few times and it wasn't pretty. I think his ceiling is situational rusher who could get good run on specials if he works hard. Still, I'd temper expectations. He was a 7th rounder cut by the Chiefs, but he could be a Mike DeViti like cheap find who contributes for a few snaps a game. I underestimated his role this week for sure. 

Catapano seemed decent. Could one of the talent experts help with an objective evaluation of today's game? If this guy is equal to or better than Coples it gives me renewed trust in our new leadership.

Catapano was more disruptive in one game today than Coples has been all year.   There is no question he is the better of the two as a pass rusher.  People get so caught up on what round somebody was drafted in and that means absolutely nothing.       In today's game Catapano was in on about 30 to 40 snaps (haven't seen official snap count yet) but it was about that i'd say.  Him and Mauldin are the edge rushers in the Nickel package and look like they work very well together.  The 4 man front of Mauldin, Wilkerson, Richardson and Catapano played "lights out" and could be a very dangerous one.  Mauldin had a good game as well and got a nice sack but Catapano had more pressures, QB hits and had more push in the pocket.  Catapano was the best outside rusher in the game today, just study the tape.  Catapano showed speed off the edge as well as power.  Very impressive start for him.  This defense looked great against Miami...maybe the best they have looked all year.  They looked like a playoff team today lets see if they can keep it up. 

What I liked about this defensive front today is that they all made plays.  Wilkerson, Richardson and Mauldin all had sacks and Catapano created a lot of pressure.  With the pressure they generated today there was no need to blitz.  The Jets were blitzing an incredible 48% of the time prior to this game.  How many times did they blitz today?   Wilkerson and Richardson are two of the best interior rushers in the league...Mauldin is improving and if Catapano continues to build on what he did today, then also throw Leonard Williams into this conversation and this could get interesting.......a quality rush would let the most talented defensive backfield in the league do their job.   Lets see how they do against the Giants, but I liked what I saw today.   

Archived