Incident on Jets' team flight sealed Quinton Coples' ouster?

Buldawg

1. More Coples fallout: Another layer to the Quinton Coples story has emerged. The former first-round pick was involved in an incident on the team's return flight from Houston last Sunday, a source said. Whatever happened on the flight is unclear, but it didn't sit well with the powers-that-be, sealing his fate. Remember the circumstances of the day: Emotions were running high after a difficult loss in which Coples played a season-low five snaps on defense.

The Jets declined to comment.

Previously, coach Todd Bowles cited playing time and scheme fit as the primary reasons for waiving Coples, an oversized linebacker who went from starter to bit player over the last two months. The curious timing, though, was a red flag. He was fired only 12 hours after the team arrived home from Houston. He didn't become a spare part overnight, and yet they couldn't wait to get him out of the building.

Bowles doesn't mess around, as he showed months ago after the IK Enemkpali/Geno Smith altercation. He's a no-nonsense coach, and he will hold players accountable. Coples was an easy target because he was on thin ice anyway, but the plane situation provided a convenient opening to send him packing. Bowles said he wasn't trying to convey a message to his slumping team, but he added, "We're just trying to play good football players and we're trying to play guys that want to play and guys that are ready to play." Interesting choice of words.

Clearly, the move rattled the locker room, judging by the players' hesitancy to comment on Coples' ouster.

Coples, claimed by the Miami Dolphins, returns Sunday to face his old team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/56525/source-incident-on-jets-team-flight-led-to-quinton-coples-ouster

The first thing about this story that jumps out at me is this; There IS no "story" TO the story and had this been under the previous regime, we would have had all the particulars straight away. Seems like the insiders that Cimini and Mehta used to be able to rely upon are either gone or keeping their mouths shut for fear of being the next "example". At the probability of being labeled a racist by the SOJ (same old Jerkawfs) this is starting to feel like deja vu back a decade as it seems like we're doing the Herman Edwards dance all over again. Instead of the no bad guys on my team it's now no talkers on my team.

This all better result in a winning 3 years stretch or this head coach (who doesn't possess a TV personality like Herm) will be bounced around from team to team as a defensive coach. Why does Woody Johnson continually feel the need to hire guys who have never BEEN head coaches to BE his head coaches?

Why US? 

The first thing about this story that jumps out at me is this; There IS no "story" TO the story and had this been under the previous regime, we would have had all the particulars straight away. Seems like the insiders that Cimini and Mehta used to be able to rely upon are either gone or keeping their mouths shut for fear of being the next "example". At the probability of being labeled a racist by the SOJ (same old Jerkawfs) this is starting to feel like deja vu back a decade as it seems like we're doing the Herman Edwards dance all over again. Instead of the no bad guys on my team it's now no talkers on my team.

This all better result in a winning 3 years stretch or this head coach (who doesn't possess a TV personality like Herm) will be bounced around from team to team as a defensive coach. Why does Woody Johnson continually feel the need to hire guys who have never BEEN head coaches to BE his head coaches?

Why US? 

so who was the coach you wanted instead?  Who was available with prior experience ??

How exactly did this article lead to an indictment of our HC and a Former HC ?  Why do supposedly smart individuals continue to say that NY sport fans are some of the most Knowledgeable, and what does that say about sport fans in general ? 

Herman Edwards was 10 times the HC that Rex Ryan was.  The End should never justify the means. Jet fans have been so starved for a championship, they can't see the forest  through the trees.

The head coach should be the leader of the team and the unit leaders should be an extension of the leadership displayed by that HC. Herman Edwards failed here due to 2 reasons. His starting QB couldn't stay healthy and management never gave him a solid contingency . The  Ownership never supported what it was the man was trying to build.

john fox is doing a great job in chicago.

And yet they have lost 1 more game than the Jets have and has won just as many.  Should the Jets win today, the conversation will change again like the wind and continue to spiral downward should the team lose.

What exactly is the major malfunction of Jet fans that makes the HC need firing if this team should lose back to back  games ?

How exactly did this article lead to an indictment of our HC and a Former HC ?  Why do supposedly smart individuals continue to say that NY sport fans are some of the most Knowledgeable, and what does that say about sport fans in general ? 

Herman Edwards was 10 times the HC that Rex Ryan was.  The End should never justify the means. Jet fans have been so starved for a championship, they can't see the forest  through the trees.

The head coach should be the leader of the team and the unit leaders should be an extension of the leadership displayed by that HC. Herman Edwards failed here due to 2 reasons. His starting QB couldn't stay healthy and management never gave him a solid contingency . The  Ownership never supported what it was the man was trying to build.

Time must really cause the memory to fade. Herm Edwards was a glorified cheerleader who had no clue about game planning or in game adjustments. Everyone was laughing at Chiefs when we fleeced them for a 4th rounder as compensation for "stealing" him. Herm Edwards was an idiot and apparently all the teams that have passed on him for the past 5 years seem to agree. 

Time must really cause the memory to fade. Herm Edwards was a glorified cheerleader who had no clue about game planning or in game adjustments. Everyone was laughing at Chiefs when we fleeced them for a 4th rounder as compensation for "stealing" him. Herm Edwards was an idiot and apparently all the teams that have passed on him for the past 5 years seem to agree. 

You must be one of those Knowledgeable NY sport fans those supposed smart individuals keep telling me about . I am Tinstar, nice to know you.

You must be one of those Knowledgeable NY sport fans those supposed smart individuals keep telling me about . I am Tinstar, nice to know you.

Hi Tinstar, pleasure to meet you!  I'm no more knowledgeable than the next guy but it is quite obvious that Herman Edwards = Jackie Chiles. Lots of bluster but no substance. 

Hi Tinstar, pleasure to meet you!  I'm no more knowledgeable than the next guy but it is quite obvious that Herman Edwards = Jackie Chiles. Lots of bluster but no substance. 

Beloved, Herman Edwards has a Job whereby his opinions on football issues is requested and out there for folks like you and me to laugh at, critique or applaud. He had his shot at the HC arena, and the results speak for themselves. I pray that in your line of work, your opinions are as requested even if not as exposed.

Here is a sample:

Herm told Coles that as long as he was the HC, he would be a Jet. The following season, our #1 WR was playing in Washington due to a contract squabble?  

The Cover 2 defense Herm preferred was ranked top 10 under Donnie Henderson due to the presence of NT Jason Ferguson . The following yr, Ferguson was playing for the Cowboys.

Chad Pennington  was the preferred starting QB for the Herman Edwards led Jets. Name me 1 capable backup that was drafted when Herm was the HC even thou Chad proved he couldn't stay healthy ?

Herm ran the team, he didn't call plays and when it became apparent that things needed to change, changes were made. Paul Hackett who I have the upmost respect for, was replaced because the offense became stagnant. Teddy Cottrell was replaced and the defense improved even with 6 new starters under a 1st time defensive coordinator who has never held the position again to my knowledge .  

John Abraham, our most feared pass rusher gets arrested for drunk driving, and the cheer leader sits him in an important game because "The end can never justify the means". Leadership is displayed in various forms, but only true leaders have the ability to identify the quality.

Just one man's opinion, but sometimes you have to look beyond the results to see the real truth.

100% the creepiest way anyone has ever opened a post

since I have no idea of the sex of the poster, and I am not a big fans of the "my friend" greeting, (everyone is not my friend even if I try to be theirs), I chose the Beloved as a way to reference my brothers and sisters. Prayfully, that is ok with thee.

since I have no idea of the sex of the poster, and I am not a big fans of the "my friend" greeting, (everyone is not my friend even if I try to be theirs), I chose the Beloved as a way to reference my brothers and sisters. Prayfully, that is ok with thee.

I feel the exact same way, sweetiepuss.

Why US? 

Why does he hire HCs who haven't coached before?  Because that's how HCs are usually found, just have to do your due diligence and get lucky.   What is there, one really good HC who was a retread hire in the league today?  

Herm needed a play clock assistant coach years after he was hired, that tells you all you need to know about Herm's ability. Herm failed for many reasons of which many were his own fault. He was hired due to having brown skin during a time when the NFL was criticized for not having enough brown skinned coaches. So the JETS hired a guy who had never even been a DC. What was his excuse for failing with the chiefs? 

Bowles doesn't mess around, as he showed months ago after the IK Enemkpali/Geno Smith altercation. He's a no-nonsense coach, and he will hold players accountable. Coples was an easy target because he was on thin ice anyway, but the plane situation provided a convenient opening to send him packing.

Want to show your not messing around?  Show it by making a move for a target that isn't "easy".

IK, umm, he knocked out the QB and broke his jaw.  Perhaps if you cut the QB who put the team in that situation in the first place.

Coples, doesn't play, how about benching Cromartie or Davis?  

Easy to make moves that are, as stated in the article, easy.

Herm needed a play clock assistant coach years after he was hired, that tells you all you need to know about Herm's ability. Herm failed for many reasons of which many were his own fault. He was hired due to having brown skin during a time when the NFL was criticized for not having enough brown skinned coaches. So the JETS hired a guy who had never even been a DC. What was his excuse for failing with the chiefs? 

Do you know that the guy who was the "Clock management  Coach"  under Herm held the same exact position with the Jets under Bill Parcells ?  I know why Herm failed with the Chiefs, but like I said, his record speaks for itself and everything else is just excuses or blame placement.  

Hmmmmm you know what I think my friend.....

Beloved, Herman Edwards has a Job whereby his opinions on football issues is requested and out there for folks like you and me to laugh at, critique or applaud. He had his shot at the HC arena, and the results speak for themselves. I pray that in your line of work, your opinions are as requested even if not as exposed.

Here is a sample:

Herm told Coles that as long as he was the HC, he would be a Jet. The following season, our #1 WR was playing in Washington due to a contract squabble?  

The Cover 2 defense Herm preferred was ranked top 10 under Donnie Henderson due to the presence of NT Jason Ferguson . The following yr, Ferguson was playing for the Cowboys.

Chad Pennington  was the preferred starting QB for the Herman Edwards led Jets. Name me 1 capable backup that was drafted when Herm was the HC even thou Chad proved he couldn't stay healthy ?

Herm ran the team, he didn't call plays and when it became apparent that things needed to change, changes were made. Paul Hackett who I have the upmost respect for, was replaced because the offense became stagnant. Teddy Cottrell was replaced and the defense improved even with 6 new starters under a 1st time defensive coordinator who has never held the position again to my knowledge .  

John Abraham, our most feared pass rusher gets arrested for drunk driving, and the cheer leader sits him in an important game because "The end can never justify the means". Leadership is displayed in various forms, but only true leaders have the ability to identify the quality.

Just one man's opinion, but sometimes you have to look beyond the results to see the real truth.

I fully endorse this post...... :) 

Want to show your not messing around?  Show it by making a move for a target that isn't "easy".

IK, umm, he knocked out the QB and broke his jaw.  Perhaps if you cut the QB who put the team in that situation in the first place.

Coples, doesn't play, how about benching Cromartie or Davis?  

Easy to make moves that are, as stated in the article, easy.

Question: How many snaps did Erin Henderson play in the last game ?  How many did he play in the previous game and those before that. For the same reason you don't bench Fitzpatrick, you don't bench completely Cromartie and Davis. You do give other options time at their positions and see what is thou.  It's called coaching, whereby you show confidence in 1 player without completely losing the other player.

Why US? \

Disagree to the point that Bowles is way more accomplished before he got here than Edwards ever was. And it's to his credit he doesn't give a sheet about what Cimini or Mehta or anyone in the media thinks.  On record that the hiring of Gailey was a serious mistake, but this was a dumpster fire of a team. Bowles deserves a chance, and let's hope he can learn form the missteps.   

Archived