Jets still pretenders, not contenders

Shadetree

I'm in pessimistic, wait-until-week-17, mode with this team. The Miami win was nice, but I didn't see anything that  removed the doubts the Oak, Buff, and Hou losses showed me. 

This is a good team with fatal flaws. No pass rush, an "eh" QB, and an "eh" O-line does not translate to being a contender. 

I would like to see improvement and a nice run for the WC, but c'mon, you really think this team is capable of 10-6? I don't. Even if they pull that out of their ass and make the playoffs, they'll be exposed for those fatal flaws.

9-7 and missing the playoffs would be optimistic. 8-8 is realistic. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in pessimistic, wait-until-week-17, mode with this team. The Miami win was nice, but I didn't see anything that  removed the doubts the Oak, Buff, and Hou losses showed me. 

This is a good team with fatal flaws. No pass rush, an "eh" QB, and an "eh" O-line does not translate to being a contender. 

I would like to see improvement and a nice run for the WC, but c'mon, you really think this team is capable of 10-6? I don't. Even if they pull that out of their ass and make the playoffs, they'll be exposed for those fatal flaws.

It was a fun win for sure.  Wasn't sure how things would go when Williams was out since they were minus Revis as well but they played great until the 8:00 mark of the 4th qtr.

Agree with the bottom line though.  Losing to the Texans, Eagles and Raiders shows that they're a middle of the pack team...one of many who will be fighting for a playoff spot.

Yup.  No reason a win over Miami would change things.

A win over a bad Giant team won't change much either.  

It is good to see the young guys playing well though. Pryor, Mauldin Devin.  If this team can at least manage to consistently beat bad teams (like miami, ny, ten, dal) while also continuing to get better play from the youngsters... maybe we'll be in good shape vs NE and Rex to end the season.

You're more than likely right that when all is said and done that were not the outside looking in come January, but for the time being its nice to be playing football games that at the end of the day could matter.

beleive me, I fully expected to lose yesterday and have the last two home games just be massive tailgate parties and not go into the games -- and with a loss next week they still could -- but for now they're still technically in the race, so until that changes my focus is  to cheer them on to the playoffs .

Why not ?

The Giants O-Line is a wreck, their defense sucks.

Tennessee is terrible

Dallas is missing Romo and we all say how Dallas plays minus Romo

New England : Uh ok you got me on that one. 

Buffalo: I can see this being the week 17 Sunday night play in game. Tough chore going into Buffalo but a game that can be won.

Everyone in the league other than Carolina right now has some kind of flaw ( and yes I include New England in that group because of all their injuries at the skill positions).

Just have to let the season play itself out and see what happens. If the Jets get in great..If not then it is to Rangers hockey.

You're more than likely right that when all is said and done that were not the outside looking in come January, but for the time being its nice to be playing football games that at the end of the day could matter.

beleive me, I fully expected to lose yesterday and have the last two home games just be massive tailgate parties and not go into the games -- and with a loss next week they still could -- but for now they're still technically in the race, so until that changes my focus is  to cheer them on to the playoffs .

errr?

Absolutely pretenders .. with all the focus on the D over the last few drafts we still get pushed around by Oakland, Philly, Rex, and Houston with some pretty elementary run blocking.

The secondary has been picked apart by over .500 offenses and that's not even talking about about our own offensive woes ...

As much as it's like the Penny days of knowing a run won't go far or deep - it's still damn nice to playing meaningful football in December,

Yup.  No reason a win over Miami would change things.

A win over a bad Giant team won't change much either.  

It is good to see the young guys playing well though. Pryor, Mauldin Devin.  If this team can at least manage to consistently beat bad teams (like miami, ny, ten, dal) while also continuing to get better play from the youngsters... maybe we'll be in good shape vs NE and Rex to end the season.

I hope Marcus Williams is 100% against the Giants. I'd love to see him shut down ODB. NFL.com will probably put up "ODB's Greatest" incompletions like they've already done twice this year. 

Let the team continue to grow and develop chemistry with the new coach and revamped roster...some bumps in the road to be certain, but I sure like what I saw on the field yesterday, both intensity and execution wise. Guys were making plays on both sides of the ball, passes were well placed, and our rookie wideout made his first strides. Be happy and enjoy the moment :)

I have this bad feeling that what goes around will come around.

Bowles ripped into the team and cut Coples, producing a team that is motivated.  The Giants lost to the Redskins, so they will now get ripped into and motivated.

That is what made Parcells and what makes Bellicheck great coaches.  They were/are able to motivate their players and coaches all the time.  The ups and downs are the mark of the Rex Ryans.

These players are human beings, and in made cases immature human beings.  They need to be professionalized.  The coaches who can do that are successful.  It took Pete Carroll 10 years to figure that out.

Bowles needs to push the button again.  Injuries are not helping.

If the Jets could play the Dolphags every week, they'd be contenders.  But unfortunately, they lost all the meaningful games vs. playoffs teams they've been in so far this season and I think that will end up being what does the Jets in.  They may finish with the same records as other teams in the race but will lose to ties breakers. 

I'm not taking anything away from this game.  The Dolphags are a terrible Football team and I dont think blowing them out changes anything about the Jets. 

I hope Marcus Williams is 100% against the Giants. I'd love to see him shut down ODB. NFL.com will probably put up "ODB's Greatest" incompletions like they've already done twice this year. 

Now, you know I'm a fan of Marcus, but to be effective against the Giants, the Jets need Revis healthy. Period. I'm not sure Marcus can handle OBJ one on one. He couldn't Hopkins.

If the Jets could play the Dolphags every week, they'd be contenders.  But unfortunately, they lost all the meaningful games vs. playoffs teams they've been in so far this season and I think that will end up being what does the Jets in.  They may finish with the same records as other teams in the race but will lose to ties breakers. 

I'm not taking anything away from this game.  The Dolphags are a terrible Football team and I dont think blowing them out changes anything about the Jets. 

The same Dolphin team that was up 41-0 to Houston several weeks ago, a team that is one game behind the Bills, and a team with a hundred million dollar QB that was picked to go to the playoffs...oh yeah, we only blew those guys out, means nothing...don't dismiss wins in this league.

The Jets are playing meaningful games in December for the first time in a few years. The glass is half full friends. Come on!

What were they, 4-12 last year?  They still have no QB and have 6 wins with 5 games left.  What do people expect?  They beat Cleveland, Indy, Washington---teams like that, to get to 4-1.  Should we have expected miracles?  They are an average team.   They lose on the road most of the time. Essentially they are 1-3 on the road.  To teams like Oakland and Houston. The Miami game is a neutral site win. That is what average teams do.  The only game that really bugs me was Buffalo at home.  And if they had won that one they would be 7-4 and still really a mediocre team

The same Dolphin team that was up 41-0 to Houston several weeks ago, a team that is one game behind the Bills, and a team with a hundred million dollar QB that was picked to go to the playoffs...oh yeah, we only blew those guys out, means nothing...don't dismiss wins in this league.

What's the saying, "the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while" or something like that.  The Dolphags are the dogs ass and probably just as sh*tty, if not worse.  You should take nothing from destroying the hapless Dolphags.  They're a terrible Football team led by an interim head coach without their best player (who went Ape sh*t vs. the Texans).

And what does being 1 game behind the Bills have to do with anything?  ls that some sort of accomplishment?  lmfao

A win is a win and you should never take them for granted in this league, unless you're playing the Dolphags at home.  

At least we got to watch a game without wanting to throw anything at the TV.  Some of the young guys played well and Bowles showed that he actually has ability to pick this team up.  Not a playoff team but at least we can look forward to another week of meaningful football. 

Sexy and the voice of reason. 

What's the saying, "the sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while" or something like that.  The Dolphags are the dogs ass and probably just as sh*tty, if not worse.  You should take nothing from destroying the hapless Dolphags.  They're a terrible Football team led by an interim head coach without their best player (who went Ape sh*t vs. the Texans).

And what does being 1 game behind the Bills have to do with anything?  ls that some sort of accomplishment?  lmfao

A win is a win and you should never take them for granted in this league, unless you're playing the Dolphags at home.  

Apparently, though, the Jets have not beaten the Dolphs here since 2011. The Dolphs are a soft team.  Matchup-wise, they are made for us.  Their "star" CB is 7 inches shorter than our best wideout.  Their QB shrivels up at the site of a blitz.  Their players were marching to the locker room yesterday after any hard contact.  I do not think they wanted to play the game until garbage time.

At least we got to watch a game without wanting to throw anything at the TV.  Some of the young guys played well and Bowles showed that he actually has ability to pick this team up.  Not a playoff team but at least we can look forward to another week of meaningful football. 

It's the most Parcells week we've seen a guy have since Parcells. He cut a slightly high profile guy that had been around for long enough in order to send a message, and didn't make any other changes so he could see how they'd respond. All three sides of the roster answered by playing without question their best game of the year. Bowles has a bunch of areas that he has to improve on over time, but at face value it really does seem like he gets the relationship that a head coach is supposed to have with his players and the overall responsibilities of the gig.

Next week is the biggest test of the year, IMO. It's the typical SOJ game; coming off a win that gives the fans hope into a high profile game against the Giants. If the team can go out and play as efficiently as it did yesterday, that will be the greatest piece of evidence yet that we finally found a coach.

You've got the Patriots, Bengals, and Broncos and then you have a bunch of mediocre up-and-down .500 teams.

So if the Jets have a chance to be among the Top 2 of that second tier it bodes well for our future which is really all this season is about.  We're not winning the Super Bowl, so let's get to 9-7, lose a wildcard game, and feel good about 2016.  That was our maximum expectation coming into the season and we can achieve it.  That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

SAR I

Some strange threads lately, amazing what a 4-1 start does as far as a mind shift goes.  Any rational person would have looked at our roster before the season and thought, if things go well we could be in playoff contention later in the year.  And that is just what has happened, the offense has been better than expected, the defense worse. It doesn't mean the term 'pretenders' should be hung on them.  If you want to talk about pretenders you should be looking at our two afc east friends Bufflao and the Phins both of whom were hyped up as being true playoff contenders.  Both of them are pretenders, the jets are slight overachievers in my mind.

8th best record in the a NFL.

Along with 7 other teams...

Strange year in the NFL.

But I think the Wild Card is going to either the Colts or the Texans and the Chiefs.  

Jets can hang their hat on a good rebound season and hopefully they can find a QB.

Huh?  You think 24 won't play this week?  Or are you saying instead of putting Revis on Junior, let Williams attempt to play man?  

I guess I could see switching things up a bit to confuse Eli.  Occasionally Revis (with at least a safety somewhere nearby over top.  But then also letting Revis swith to someone else and have Williams double Junior with someone else (Cro/Skine...).

But Williams straight man coverage with Junior?  That's a recipe for disaster.

Regardless, any sort of coverage involving 1-on-1 with Junior had better involve blitzing.  I don't ever want to see that dumb $hit that was called when Hopkins beat Revis deep.  Wtf was that?  Ha, yeah let's man-up across the board, show blitz, no safety help at all, then back off leaving the QB with tons of time to find WRs running free.  That's like playing ball with friends and not allowing a pass rush after a 5-10 Mississippi count.  Eventually someone will get open.

It's the most Parcells week we've seen a guy have since Parcells. He cut a slightly high profile guy that had been around for long enough in order to send a message, and didn't make any other changes so he could see how they'd respond. All three sides of the roster answered by playing without question their best game of the year. Bowles has a bunch of areas that he has to improve on over time, but at face value it really does seem like he gets the relationship that a head coach is supposed to have with his players and the overall responsibilities of the gig.

Next week is the biggest test of the year, IMO. It's the typical SOJ game; coming off a win that gives the fans hope into a high profile game against the Giants. If the team can go out and play as efficiently as it did yesterday, that will be the greatest piece of evidence yet that we finally found a coach.

Funny thing is I was explaining that to my son on Thanksgiving.  As far as cutting Coples and   The  message he was sending.   By halftime we both realized it worked.  They gave the first five week effort we have all missed. Cool thing is it motivated the young guys to step up and claim their right to become the future of this team.  Lot of aging fat, if you will, that could be reasonably trimmed in the off season if these young guys start producing consistently. Also knowing what you have is the first and most important part of knowing what you need.   Yet Bowles looks like he should be in one of those wood boxes like the fortune tellers you see at old amusement parks during his presser.  Every time he talks I expect the quarter to run out and he slowly slows down to a stop before the next quarter go's clink.

We hadn't swept the Dolphins since 2007, and lately we'd been losing to them at home in fairly humiliating fashion.  They've sucked but we'd sucked too against them in the Rex era.  At least Bowles started his Head Coaching career against the Dolphins with a sweep, and a pretty dominant sweep at that.  That's a nice change.  I hate the Dolphins even more than the Patriots.  Just for that alone I'm willing to give Bowles a pass for a lot of his mistakes in his tenure to date.

Archived