Demario Davis... Lorenzo Mauldins ~ ~ ~

kelly

I've always been a big fan of Demario Davis, from scouting him in college to seeing his rise with the Jets. However recently, it had gotten to a point where he was hurting the Jets, mainly in coverage. It was a little bit of speed problems, but a lot of it was recognition. Not dropping deep enough in the zone, biting in play action etc etc.As a result, many Jets fans were calling for him to lose his starting spot. While he didn't lose his starting spot, he did lose a significant amount of time on the field. Davis is usually in on 95%+ of defensive snaps, yesterday he was in on less than 50%.

Darrin Walls saw an increase in snaps due to the injury of Marcus Williams and the absence of Darrelle Revis. It was great to see Pryor out there, doing what he does best, delivering hits. Lorenzo Mauldin also saw a significant increase in his snaps, moving over 50%.

Mike Catapano saw a significant amount of action yesterday, playing more than 1st round rookie Leonard Williams.

In total, the Jets ran 72 defensive plays

Defensive Line

Muhammad Wilkerson, 69 (96%)

Sheldon Richardson, 67 (93%)

Mike Catapano, 41 (57%)

Leonard Williams, 35 (49%)

Damon Harrison, 28 (39%)

Leger Douzable, 2 (3%)

Stephen Bowen, 1 (1%)

Linebackers

David Harris, 62 (86%)

Lorenzo Mauldin, 38 (53%)

Demario Davis, 35, (49%)

Erin Henderson, 28 (39%)

Calvin Pace, 17 (24%)

Trevor Reilly, 7 (10%)

Cornerbacks

Antonio Cromartie, 72 (100%)

Buster Skrine, 69 (96%)

Darrin Walls, 50 (69%)

Dexter McDougle, 19 (26%)

Marcus Williams 8 (11%)

Safeties

Marcus Gilchrist, 72 (100%)

Calvin Pryor, 64 (89%)

Rontez Miles, 8 (11%)

>     http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/11/30/9817902/demario-davis-loses-significant-playing-time-lorenzo-mauldins

The best part about reading the snap counts other than the decrease in snaps for Davis, is the decrease in snaps for Pace and the consequent increase in Maudlin.

You talk about "earning it"...Maudlin has and Pace is shot.  Put a fork in him.  The difference in the 2 is stark.  Pace should be taking a back seat for the rest of the season.

Catapano played way more than I thought he would yesterday, but the Jets were in a lot of pass coverage when the Phins abandoned the running game early, so he and Mauldin got lots of reps. Both are probably in line for a lot more action against the G-Men next weekend.

Calvin Pace reps are about what he should get (even if he did get banged up). More Reilly as well please. He always seems to make plays. Henderson was active all day yesterday. I'd be curious to see Lattimore too, he made some sticks on specials.

I think the bells are tolling for Milliner at this point. Miles got some run at the end, which is always good.

Looking at the results of the adjusted playing time, it's really hard to declare  Catapano a major improvement.   Production wise Catapano in 41 snaps had 0's across the  board, except for 1 QB hit.   Davis, who everyone has been down on , and happy to see his reps decreased, in 35 snaps had 4 tackles, 3 solo, and a TFL.

The guy who really contributed with limited snaps was Mauldin.  In 38 snaps he had   a sack , a TFL, and 2 QB hits.

I'm not so quick to throw Davis under the bus just yet.   He just needs to get better in covering RB's

Mauldin is strictly a pass rusher at this time and Miami was in pass mode for most of the game being down early.  I like him very much.  I really hope he can expand his game more as his career progresses.

Miliner should have got some playing time in the 4th

Looking at the results of the adjusted playing time, it's really hard to declare  Catapano a major improvement.   Production wise Catapano in 41 snaps had 0's across the  board, except for 1 QB hit.   Davis, who everyone has been down on , and happy to see his reps decreased, in 35 snaps had 4 tackles, 3 solo, and a TFL.

The guy who really contributed with limited snaps was Mauldin.  In 38 snaps he had   a sack , a TFL, and 2 QB hits.

I'm not so quick to throw Davis under the bus just yet.   He just needs to get better in covering RB's

go study the tape...Catapano played awesome.  Had more pressure than Mauldin all day.  Mauldin had the sack and Catapano just missed a few but was disruptive all afternoon.  The defense looks 100 times better with those 2 coming off the edge. They went from a team who blitzed half the time in 3rd downs to a team yesterday that barely blitzed at all and still got pressure.

Delicate Dee looks like trade bait. They don't want him to get hurt before the season ends.

that is an interesting theory, especially since the jets will give up a 6th rounder for fitz and mccags loves his picks.  there will be a team desperate for cb help who will take a chance on him.

The problem with the Jets inside linebackers is both are exactly the same player. Both can blitz, both can attack the LOS and stop the run and neither can cover. Here's the other problem and it's a doozy.  Harris has a huge contract and is getting long in the tooth while Davis is young and can't be given anywhere near the contract that Harris got. Harris's contract makes him hard to cut so we might end up losing a younger David Harris.

The problem with the Jets inside linebackers is both are exactly the same player. Both can blitz, both can attack the LOS and stop the run and neither can cover. Here's the other problem and it's a doozy.  Harris has a huge contract and is getting long in the tooth while Davis is young and can't be given anywhere near the contract that Harris got. Harris's contract makes him hard to cut so we might end up losing a younger David Harris.

Davis Harris is a great Jet but I'm hoping for a more complete player next time around.  I'd take a bit less able to stop the run for a bigger bit more able to cover....that sort of thing.  This is a passing league so try to keep that in mind with your wish list.

Well he won't.  At this point in time if you can't cover you won't change your spots.  I question his instincts because he's two steps behind at the snap of the ball on many plays.

Davis Harris is a great Jet but I'm hoping for a more complete player next time around.  I'd take a bit less able to stop the run for a bigger bit more able to cover....that sort of thing.  This is a passing league so try to keep that in mind with your wish list.

If you can't stop the run, nobody will throw the ball against you. One inside Linebacker should be a supreme run stuffer and the other should be able to cover. When it was Harris and Bart Scott, I was the same thing. We need help at coverage but not at the expense of the run defense.

• 2 weeks later...

— During Lorenzo Mauldin's final season at Louisville, last year, the school asked him if he wanted any particular song played when an opponent faced third down at the Cardinals' home field. Third down had become Mauldin's favorite moment in games, his chance to surge ahead, out of his stance, and rush the quarterback from the edge of Louisville's defensive line. He excelled at it — 16 combined sacks in his final two seasons. 

Mauldin, now a Jets outside linebacker, can still hear that song he requested to play on third downs in 2014: "You Don't Want These Cards," by B Simm, a Louisville-based rapper. "My favorite thing to do was to rush the passer," Mauldin told NJ Advance Media last week. "Third down, that music plays, and you just go." Third down remains an enjoyable situation for Mauldin, as an NFL rookie third-round draft pick. He has played mostly as a third-down pass rusher this season. He has three sacks, including two in Week 9 against Jacksonville and one against the Dolphins, two games ago. 

Mauldin has played 38 and 25 defensive snaps the past two weeks, against Miami and the Giants. In his first nine games, he played 11, five, 20, six, zero, nine, 19, eight, and 10 snaps.Mauldin has become a valuable part of the Jets' nickel and dime packages. The Jets generally use those packages on third down, but also in some second-and-long and even first-and-long situations. "I feel like I'm coming along, now that I'm actually getting a chance to get a little bit more reps," Mauldin said. "Because as a pass rusher, you've got to get into a groove. Now that I'm actually getting more reps, I can produce more and be able to give the coaches what they're looking for." 

It's important for Mauldin to be able to read an offensive tackle's techniques in person. Film study is fine. But it doesn't compare to feeling out a tackle in a game. That's what Mauldin meant by his "groove." He's found it recently, simply by playing more. "I pretty much go into the game knowing what the tackle is going to give me," Mauldin said. "It's just a matter of actually getting out there. I've always been a learner to actually get out there and do it, instead of just learning it from film and putting it up on the board. I feel like it's a trial-and-error type thing, because [the tackle] can always give you something different, based off of what you give him.

"So I just go out there, and whatever he's going to give me, if I get around the edge, and he takes me with his inside arm and just runs me up the field, I know what to do the next time. Whatever he gives me, that's how I know how to read the next time I go up against him." 

Mauldin's next step, likely in 2016, is to become a more complete outside linebacker, a player the Jets can use as more than just a situational pass rusher. "Right now, I see my role as just a pass rusher," he said. "Hopefully, next year, I'll get put in a little bit more [during games], to stop the run and play on first-and-short and second-and-short." The Jets are in a transitional period at outside linebacker. Last month, they cut rush outside linebacker Quinton Coples, a former first-round pick. The Jets' other outside linebacker, strong-side starter Calvin Pace, is 35 years old. 

Everybody knew Mauldin, coming out of Louisville, could rush the quarterback. He's backed up those scouting reports this season. To do more than just pass rush — even though that will remain an important duty for him — he'll have to become a more cerebral and technical player.  "He's aggressive on the outside," said Jets coach Todd Bowles. "He's one of our more athletic guys and our faster guys. Obviously, he has to learn a little more mentally, and [with] hand placement, and get a little stronger that way. But I think the more he plays, the better he gets, and the more comfortable we feel about him.

"I think he'll be a very good pass rusher. Obviously, he's got a lot to learn about the game. As a pass rusher, I think he's got potential. [But] it's not just a pass rush thing. There's a whole bunch of things that go into it." 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/12/why_jets_lorenzo_mauldin_thinks_hes_found_his_rhyt.html#incart_river_index

Mauldin is good but Im not ready to crown him. I still remember Aaron Maybin and we saw his short lived potential after we scooped him up off the trash heap. He showed flashes also. I like Mauldin and hope he can become a dominant OLB with an all around game. We still need a dominant Olb to go with him and this draft should have a few.

One major difference was Maybin natural weight was about 218.  When he tried to put weight on to play LB'er he was terrible.  Just as he was in Buffalo.  

Mauldin is about 260

Good point. Mauldin is a way bigger man and I think his pedigree is better. I am excited to see what he can do for the rest of the year. In the first 3 rounds we need to find his counterpart. This D will not be complete without more speed and inside we need to replace Demario after the year ends. We need some more speed out of our LBS.

Mauldin is good but Im not ready to crown him. I still remember Aaron Maybin and we saw his short lived potential after we scooped him up off the trash heap. He showed flashes also. I like Mauldin and hope he can become a dominant OLB with an all around game. We still need a dominant Olb to go with him and this draft should have a few.

I loved Maybin. I miss him. 

Good point. Mauldin is a way bigger man and I think his pedigree is better. I am excited to see what he can do for the rest of the year. In the first 3 rounds we need to find his counterpart. This D will not be complete without more speed and inside we need to replace Demario after the year ends. We need some more speed out of our LBS.

What do you mean his pedigree is better? Maybin was awesome in college. 

Archived