Play counts and PFF grades Jets vs Miami

Larz

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Jets-Play-Counts-vs-the-Dolphins/71654ace-e294-4ae3-9678-4f60d2bfe43b

catapano getting mare reps than williams, and Henderson getting more than Pace. 

WIDE RECEIVERS POS OFF DEF ST Total
Marshall, Brandon WR 71   2 73
Decker, Eric WR 65   2 67
Enunwa, Quincy WR 40   15 55
Smith, Devin WR 35   11 46
Kerley, Jeremy WR 2   10 12

DEFENSIVE LINE POS OFF DEF ST Total
Wilkerson, Muhammad DE   69 4 73
Richardson, Sheldon DE   67 4 71
Catapano, Mike DE   41 10 51
Williams, Leonard DE   35 5 40
Harrison, Damon NT   28 2 30
Douzable, Leger DE   2 9 11
Bowen, Stephen DE   1   1

LINEBACKERS POS OFF DEF ST Total
Harris, David ILB   62 6 68
Mauldin, Lorenzo OLB   38 7 45
Davis, Demario ILB   35 6 41
Henderson, Erin ILB   28 9 37
Pace, Calvin OLB   17 3 20
Reillly, Trevor ILB   7 22 29
Lattimore, Jamari ILB     20 20

DEFENSIVE BACKS POS OFF DEF ST Total
Gilchrist, Marcus FS   72 6 78
Cromartie, Antonio CB   72 5 77
Skrine, Buster CB   69 10 79
Pryor, Calvin SS   64 10 74
Walls, Darrin CB   50 22 72
McDougle, Dexter CB   19 14 33
Miles, Rontez DB   8 21 29
Williams, Marcus CB   8 1 9
Milliner, Dee CB     8 8

New York Jets

– QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (+5.5) had himself a heck of a day throwing the football. Of his 15 incompletions, five of them were dropped, two were batted at the line and another two were on great defensive plays. So he was only really inaccurate on five throws all day. He was able to pick the Dolphins apart when they were unable to get pressure, going 16 of 25 for 199 yards and three touchdowns when faced with a clean pocket. Even when under pressure, his 50% completion rate and 6.5 YPA aren’t bad numbers. A large part of his success can go to WR Brandon Marshall (+3.7) who was seemingly always open, but that shouldn’t take away from the great game Fitzpatrick played.

– What a day it was for the Jets’ outside corners. With no Darrelle Revis, they really needed to step up and they absolutely answered the call. The combination of Antonio Cromartie (+1.4), Marcus Williams (+1.7) and Darrin Walls (+1.4), who took over for an injured Williams, saw Ryan Tannehill go 5 of 20 for 60 yards, an interception and two passes defended when targeting them. Walls did allow two touchdowns, but those were more good throws and catches than they were bad coverage. They made up for a very lackluster day from slot corner Buster Skrine (-1.9), who allowed nine catches on 12 targets for 119 yards, mostly to Jarvis Landry.

– It was a mixed bag day for the Jets’ offensive line, as most of them had a good day, but two performances really stood out for all the wrong reasons. LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson (-6.9) had a +2.0 run block grade, which is a good number. However, a -7.3 pass blocking grade sullied his day. He allowed a sack, two hits and six hurries, which made up 53% of all the pressure allowed by the Jets. He just could not block Olivier Vernon at all, and his season of struggles continued. RG Brian Winters (-5.2) also had a poor game in both run and pass blocking, although that isn’t a huge surprise given that he was going up against Ndamukong Suh. Still, the Jets definitely expected a better effort than the one Winters gave.

Top performers:

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (+5.5)
NT Damon Harrison (+4.2)
WR Brandon Marshall (+3.7)
T Brett Giacomini (+3.6)
HB Chris Ivory (+3.0)

New York Jets

– QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (+5.5) had himself a heck of a day throwing the football. Of his 15 incompletions, five of them were dropped, two were batted at the line and another two were on great defensive plays. So he was only really inaccurate on five throws all day. He was able to pick the Dolphins apart when they were unable to get pressure, going 16 of 25 for 199 yards and three touchdowns when faced with a clean pocket. Even when under pressure, his 50% completion rate and 6.5 YPA aren’t bad numbers. A large part of his success can go to WR Brandon Marshall (+3.7) who was seemingly always open, but that shouldn’t take away from the great game Fitzpatrick played.

– What a day it was for the Jets’ outside corners. With no Darrelle Revis, they really needed to step up and they absolutely answered the call. The combination of Antonio Cromartie (+1.4), Marcus Williams (+1.7) and Darrin Walls (+1.4), who took over for an injured Williams, saw Ryan Tannehill go 5 of 20 for 60 yards, an interception and two passes defended when targeting them. Walls did allow two touchdowns, but those were more good throws and catches than they were bad coverage. They made up for a very lackluster day from slot corner Buster Skrine (-1.9), who allowed nine catches on 12 targets for 119 yards, mostly to Jarvis Landry.

– It was a mixed bag day for the Jets’ offensive line, as most of them had a good day, but two performances really stood out for all the wrong reasons. LT D’Brickashaw Ferguson (-6.9) had a +2.0 run block grade, which is a good number. However, a -7.3 pass blocking grade sullied his day. He allowed a sack, two hits and six hurries, which made up 53% of all the pressure allowed by the Jets. He just could not block Olivier Vernon at all, and his season of struggles continued. RG Brian Winters (-5.2) also had a poor game in both run and pass blocking, although that isn’t a huge surprise given that he was going up against Ndamukong Suh. Still, the Jets definitely expected a better effort than the one Winters gave.

Top performers:

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (+5.5)
NT Damon Harrison (+4.2)
WR Brandon Marshall (+3.7)
T Brett Giacomini (+3.6)
HB Chris Ivory (+3.0)

Funny how there is one article praising Winters for his performance against Suh and another ripping him. 

Funny how there is one article praising Winters for his performance against Suh and another ripping him. 

You have to keep in mind that the positive article wasn't written by a real writer, just a fan so I'd err on the side of PFF.  

Winters isn't great, but if you told me he'd hold Suh w/o a sack all day and just one QB hit, I'd take it.  JMO of course.

These numbers are crazy.  I don't know if they are accurate or not but they seem arbitrary.  If you let up 2 TDs you didn't do well.  I don't care if Joe Montana in his prime made the throws.   Winters isn't good but how often did you hear Suh mentioned on the broadcast?   I know there is more to it than that but he couldn't have been that awful if the owner of the Miami defense did next to nothing 

They made up for a very lackluster day from slot corner Buster Skrine (-1.9), who allowed nine catches on 12 targets for 119 yards, mostly to Jarvis Landry

skrine sucks.  yeah I know he blitzed twice  in week 4, yadda yadda yadda, he sucks

They made up for a very lackluster day from slot corner Buster Skrine (-1.9), who allowed nine catches on 12 targets for 119 yards, mostly to Jarvis Landry

skrine sucks.  yeah I know he blitzed twice  in week 4, yadda yadda yadda, he sucks

No he doesn't. Landry is just excellent. This league is built for offensive stats.... not every corner is going to shut down their assignment every week. Tannehill can only complete passes to one WR, and it's Landry. 

We won.

No he doesn't. Landry is just excellent. This league is built for offensive stats.... not every corner is going to shut down their assignment every week. Tannehill can only complete passes to one WR, and it's Landry. 

We won.

QBs have a rating over 100 on the season when throwing at Skrine. He's been almost as bad as Cro and he's on the hook for more years. 

These numbers are crazy.  I don't know if they are accurate or not but they seem arbitrary.  If you let up 2 TDs you didn't do well.  I don't care if Joe Montana in his prime made the throws.   Winters isn't good but how often did you hear Suh mentioned on the broadcast?   I know there is more to it than that but he couldn't have been that awful if the owner of the Miami defense did next to nothing 

Even if those were the only two completions and both were within the 10 yard line of the end zone? Hard to stop that. I'd rather a CB give up a 4 yard TD than a 40 yard one. 

QBs have a rating over 100 on the season when throwing at Skrine. He's been almost as bad as Cro and he's on the hook for more years. 

That's a bummer, but I still don't think that he sucks. We've had slot corners that truly suck... Skrine is an improvement. I think he played better earlier in the season. He, like other Jets, went through a slump. He was dinged up, and should come out of it. 

That's a bummer, but I still don't think that he sucks. We've had slot corners that truly suck... Skrine is an improvement. I think he played better earlier in the season. He, like other Jets, went through a slump. He was dinged up, and should come out of it. 

I agree. He was pretty lights out the first few weeks. Got banged up and hasn't been the same since. Dwayne Harris has had some impact plays as the 3rd WR this year so Skrine needs to be on his game. Harris also is a threat in specials. 

Sometimes guys are just good and need to get their due.  Not very completion is because a defender sucks.  

Grading offsensive lineman, when you aren't part of the team and don't know their responsibilities is a damn near impossible task to get right.

Thank you.  Have had this argument too.  If you don't know blocking responsibilities and line changes how do you know who screwed up? 

You dont 

Thank you.  Have had this argument too.  If you don't know blocking responsibilities and line changes how do you know who screwed up? 

You dont 

the day after my sons college Games every lineman would have to grade every other lineman. The coaches grades usually differef from what they handed out.

This just is not easy to do.

the day after my sons college Games every lineman would have to grade every other lineman. The coaches grades usually differef from what they handed out.

This just is not easy to do.

And those are players in a game who you would think have an idea of what's going on.  Why I rarely get the people who think they know what's going on with line play watching on tv. 

Even if those were the only two completions and both were within the 10 yard line of the end zone? Hard to stop that. I'd rather a CB give up a 4 yard TD than a 40 yard one. 

a TD is a TD.   Walls just isn't good but he's 6th on the depth chart for a reason.  No teams 6th corner is that good.  

Remember guarding near the goal line in some respects is easier because the field is shorter.  They can use the boundary and the end line. 

a TD is a TD.   Walls just isn't good but he's 6th on the depth chart for a reason.  No teams 6th corner is that good.  

Remember guarding near the goal line in some respects is easier because the field is shorter.  They can use the boundary and the end line. 

He's 5th on the depth chart and he'd likely be up for a starting gig on many other teams in this league. The Jets depth at CB is crazy. I'd say it's worse to give up a 40 yard bomb on 1st and 15 to the 5 than it is to give up the ensuing touchdown. Walls got beat for two TDs sure, but he had more positive impact plays than he did negative, which is what you want from your backups pressed into action.

Sometimes guys are just good and need to get their due.  Not very completion is because a defender sucks.  

he blew 2 tackles that lead to first downs

when the completion %age is that high, you are chasing not covering

He's 5th on the depth chart and he'd likely be up for a starting gig on many other teams in this league. The Jets depth at CB is crazy. I'd say it's worse to give up a 40 yard bomb on 1st and 15 to the 5 than it is to give up the ensuing touchdown. Walls got beat for two TDs sure, but he had more positive impact plays than he did negative, which is what you want from your backups pressed into action.

I'd love to face the team where walls is the starter if I am a qb.  Think about it.  Decker or Marshall would abuse Walls.  Walls is the typical 5/6 on the depth chart player.  If someone thought he was great, with our "crazy depth", wouldn't we have taken a mid round pick for him?  

I'd love to face the team where walls is the starter if I am a qb.  Think about it.  Decker or Marshall would abuse Walls.  Walls is the typical 5/6 on the depth chart player.  If someone thought he was great, with our "crazy depth", wouldn't we have taken a mid round pick for him?  

He'd be a solid 3rd CB on any team. He's an able and willing tackler and has good coverage skills and size. If he could work on his ball skills he'd be better, but that comes with playing time. He has good games and bad, just like any other corner on this team. I don't think the Hets ever explored trading him. Why would they? They'd never get value back for the depth he provides at such a cheap cost. 

And those are players in a game who you would think have an idea of what's going on.  Why I rarely get the people who think they know what's going on with line play watching on tv. 

True!

I have been watching football my whole damn life. I am not an expert but I am pretty observant. I love having him sit next to me, he educates me on the oline all the time.

And I always thought they were just the big dumb guys. Who knew?  :)

True!

I have been watching football my whole damn life. I am not an expert but I am pretty observant. I love having him sit next to me, he educates me on the oline all the time.

And I always thought they were just the big dumb guys. Who knew?  :)

LOL, exactly.  We think they're big, dumb clods who just get in the way or push people out of the way.  Except that in actuality they are usually the smartest guys on the field.  Amazing what perception does to reality.  

It is really fun when our kids get old enough to teach us anything, especially something we love and think we know so much about.  

He'd be a solid 3rd CB on any team. He's an able and willing tackler and has good coverage skills and size. If he could work on his ball skills he'd be better, but that comes with playing time. He has good games and bad, just like any other corner on this team. I don't think the Hets ever explored trading him. Why would they? They'd never get value back for the depth he provides at such a cheap cost. 

I wouldn't want walls on my team if we had a choice to be honest.  

So it's his fault Skrine and Cro struggled? Come on with this. 

No, it's not his fault.  But with him being on the field, the offense has somewhere to attack.  If Cro/Skrine struggle, it just means they have 2/3 places.

Archived