Fitz has won me over

Jetster

While I understand Fitz is not a QB that can bring us back from a large deficit (how many QBs in this league can?), he's brought a steadiness & professionalism that we haven't seen here in a long time. He's earned the trust of his teammates which is huge and he's put an end to any chance that Geno sees the field as a NY Jet unless he gets injured.

His worse game was the Eagles game, he was a little off but got no help in that game from his WRs. Smith played terrible, Brandon made some plays but cancelled those out with his bonehead lateral & alligator arm drops. Yet, we were still in it until the end even after giving up a punt return TD to Sproles.

i thought he played very well in New England, poised, and did better than any QB that has played there this year. If Decker doesn't drop an easy 3rd down catch, Marshall holds onto an easy TD catch, the refs do their job & call PI on Chung in the endzone grabbing Cumberlands arm, the Jets have their biggest win in Gillette since 2010. 

We didn't know it until now but when Fitz got hurt early in Oakland it completely changed the tone of that game. He was missed & you could sense the lack of confidence in Geno coming off the bench. 

Buffalo I put on the coaching. Bowles had a horrific night & seemed to have no feel for how that game was playing out. Although the team as a whole played sporadically, had Bowles coached a better game I believe the Jets send Rex back to Buffalo with his tail between his legs. Bowles was worse than Rex for his in game coaching & that's hard to do. 

Injuries caught up to us again in Houston. The line falls apart without Mangold. We're just not deep enough to overcome too many injuries. Healthy this Jet team is top 10 in the league & really can beat anyone when things go right. 

Against Miami Fitz was terrific. He overcame some really poor play from his Oline (numerous presnap penalties) that put the offense behind the sticks at 1st & 15, 1st & 20 way too often. He's really starting to get in sync with Decker & Marshall (especially tossing high to Brandon so he can high point the ball). So when I look back on the 1st 11 games of the season I see we lost a game that he basically didn't play (Oakland), and see if not for some dropped balls (I'm not talking diving attempts, I'm talking perfect ball on both hands types of plays) he might have QBed this team to 7/8 wins already & the Jets would be in the catbird seat regarding the Wildcard spot. 

I actually would have no problem if they reup with Fitz, keep bringing along Petty, and start rebuilding the Oline & LInebacking core in the 2016 draft. Of course if a QB they love falls to them mid draft I'm all for it. Jets would be in a great position next year with a Fitz/Petty/Goff type of situation. How great is it to have young guys learning from a smart veteran that actually knows what he's doing? And as much as people here scream about Chan Gailey, it's IMPERATIVE that we maintain a system & bring guys along so they GET IT. The more you change, the harder the transition. Parcells use to make people do the same thing OVER & OVER until you could do it in your sleep! 

We all have a habit of always blaming the QB (I'm guilty) but this is a team game and Fitz has done enough to win EVERY game he's finished this year. I'm sure this is how Bowles feels & why Geno will never see the field even when we're out of it unless Fitz gets injured. 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wish we'd gotten him sooner.  Fitz on the 2009 or 2010 team would have been exponentially better than Sanchez.

Having bottom five QB play for such an extended period of time was just so depressing.

Breath of fresh air.

Remember when everyone wanted him benched last week?  

Wish we could play the Dolphags every week. 

So true.

Fitz though, is a pro QB.  He's not a very good one.  But he's a pro.  Which is certainly an upgrade from what we've been running out there for a while.

It really is amazing what a difference a week can make.  Last week the league caught up to him and forced him to throw intercetions.  This week he is on a record breaking run with the Jets.  Wow this franchise deserves everything it gets.  Even sugar free cookies taste good to the man who only eats rocks.

It's a bizarre fan base.  That's for sure.  Fitz has won me over too.  Love the passion the guy plays with but I was ready to move on last week. Wont lie.  

He's not very good though.  Hopefully he can be good enough.  I'd like to make the playoffs.  I actually think the Jets could win a game if they made it in.  The AFC is a big runny sh*t taco.

The secondary had the same type of bounceback performance too.  Yes, the Dolphins suck.  But its also true we looked like a good football team last week, much like we did the first 5 weeks of the season, and Fitz was a big part of that.  The hope is that this is the start of a run rather than it just being the Dolphins.

Either way, we swept Miami.  I'm pretty happy about that.  Rex/Sanchez/Geno never did that for us.  Nor did Brett Favre.

Only reason it would make sense to bench Fitz is if the defense keeps digging 14+ point holes.  As long as they're as good as advertised, you gotta' stick with Fitz.

So true.

Fitz though, is a pro QB.  He's not a very good one.  But he's a pro.  Which is certainly an upgrade from what we've been running out there for a while.

haha - not doubt.  I guess its just the nature of fans.

For example, did the Jets look like they lacked talent on Sunday? ;-)

The secondary had the same type of bounceback performance too.  Yes, the Dolphins suck.  But its also true we looked like a good football team last week, and Fitz was a big part of that.  The hope is that this is the start of a run rather than it just being the Dolphins.

Either way, we swept Miami.  I'm pretty happy about that.  Rex/Sanchez/Geno never did that for us.  Nor did Brett Favre.

Meh, 351 yards and 3 TD's.  Even if some of it was garbage time vs. Tannehill?  Not exactly what you'd hope to see from the secondary.  Especially considering they made them one dimensional.

Love sweeping the Dolphags.  For sure.  But man, they are just terrible. 

What I like personally is that I am not worried about the turnover.  I know he is usually good for 1 a game but I realistically think we always have a shot to move the ball down the field through him or Ivory..  Obviously it doesn't always work out like that but it is a relief to feel this way as opposed to every-time Geno drops back I get nervous.

After watching the Browns last night it's hard to not appreciate what little you may or may not have.

Our GM and HC overall seem to be doing as much as they can with what they were given and what they brought in here in Year 1.  Yeah, we can say our talent is strong, but is that really true?  At most we have 3 elite players on this team, and that might be giving too much credit. 

It's a bizarre fan base.  That's for sure.  Fitz has won me over too.  Love the passion the guy plays with but I was ready to move on last week. Wont lie.  

He's not very good though.  Hopefully he can be good enough.  I'd like to make the playoffs.  I actually think the Jets could win a game if they made it in.  The AFC is a big runny sh*t taco.

I said it awhile ago that he is impossible not to like.  His fire he plays with, his command of the game and just seems to be a really decent human been in a league that doesn't seem to have many.  That being said, we still need to find a QB moving forward if we are ever going to be legit contenders.  Our roster is rather long in the tooth.  We need to find a QB now.  Until then he is as good as I ve seen here in a long time.  Still not saying that much.  best case scenario if we sign him to another year, Petty pulls an Osweiller next year.  I do think Fitz is a nice guy to have a yooung QB learn behind.

Meh, 351 yards and 3 TD's.  Even if some of it was garbage time vs. Tannehill?  Not exactly what you'd hope to see from the secondary.  Especially considering they made them one dimensional.

Love sweeping the Dolphags.  For sure.  But man, they are just terrible. 

When the game became a blowout, Tannehill had something like 180 yards, 0 TD's and a pick.  We completely shut down their passing attack until garbage time.  It wasn't "some" of the production coming in garbage time.  Pretty much ALL of Tannehill's production was in garbage time.  And that's fine, because Miami will likely look at that and determine they have a franchise QB.  They wayyyyy don't.

Our GM and HC overall seem to be doing as much as they can with what they were given and what they brought in here in Year 1.  Yeah, we can say our talent is strong, but is that really true?  At most we have 3 elite players on this team, and that might be giving too much credit. 

I agree.  But as Rex said, "We are out of Mulligans." 

I agree.  But as Rex said, "We are out of Mulligans." 

Year 1 coming off a 4-12 season has to be the definition of a "mulligan" if we fail to make the playoffs.  We have no choice but to trust the Macc/Bowles duo for at least the next 3 years after this one.  For all his faults, this time around Woody went about their hirings pretty much the best possible way he could have.  If this regime fails we're just counting down the days till Woody sells the team or expires.

Year 1 coming off a 4-12 season has to be the definition of a "mulligan" if we fail to make the playoffs.  We have no choice but to trust the Macc/Bowles duo for at least the next 3 years after this one.  For all his faults, this time around Woody went about their hirings pretty much the best possible way he could have.  If this regime fails we're just counting down the days till Woody sells the team or expires.

My point is with the games we loss and the effect they have on tiebreakers our margin of error is smaller than my desire to practice portion control. 

Don't fall for the classic Jet fan "we're going to the Super Bowl after a win" trap.  Fitz is miles better than the idiots/INT machines we've had for what seems like an eternity.  But I won't have an opinion of Fitz until after the season.  His history in the latter part of past seasons is frightening.  Against a good defense, I still think he sh*ts the bed.

is what you get from Fitz- decent QB play- but not able to win games solely on his arm. He is tough competitor which you have to love

The Jets should be concerned with building a complete, balanced team around Fitz, or whoever is at QB....you can have top guys like Bree's or Rivers and it doesn't mean squat if they aren't surrounded by a good team. Almost no QB can carry a team consistently. That being said, Fitz has kept us in games where the rest of the team has played poorly - no running game, special teams blunders etc...and darn near won a couple of them had his receivers made plays...and remember, no QB can succeed when clutch passes and potential TD's are dropped. That being said, he has missed some chances, particularly late in the Houston game and Fitz also needs to improve at the beginnings of games, but all in all, the guy has put his team in position to win games and has played solid at the QB position, converting red zone TD's at an exceptional rate and utilizing his big play receivers. If he can develop chemistry with Devin Smith, that will add a major dimension to this offense.

I'm on board with Fitz.  Basically, he's far better for this team than Geno and/or anyone else we could possibly pick up at this point.  20TD/11INT feels way above average for the last six years of QB play before this season.  Yes, he has 'better weapons' yadda yadda yadda, but he is making it work.  He is productive when scrambling - both throwing and running, and doesn't lose the ball often. 

A few negatives: 

a) He gets passes tipped way more than I remember seeing from other QBs.  Not sure if it's his height, his motion, the O-Line or just that he's not recognizing the situation properly.  I'd love to see that cleaned up.

b). Limited range.  He's pretty good up to about 25 yards, which is really enough to win in the league.  I wouldn't have even mentioned it but I just saw some of the Steelers game and when I see Ben lob one of those 40 yard rainbows - seemingly without effort - that lands right in the WRs hands, I admit some QB-envy. 

c) He really could slide a bit more often - and by that I mean 'ever'.  Love the moxie, but we don't have a backup so ya gotta stay on the field, Fitz!

Overall though - I'm happy to say I think we have a competent QB and that's a new feeling around here.

I just wish we'd gotten him sooner.  Fitz on the 2009 or 2010 team would have been exponentially better than Sanchez.

Having bottom five QB play for such an extended period of time was just so depressing.

Breath of fresh air.

people don't understand how vital mark was to those runs.  it's sad.

I am on board w/ Fitz.  he has played really well the last 5-6 weeks or so after a sluggish start.  we started losing games b/c we stopped running, started dropping passes and the D was awful not b/c of Fitz.

people don't understand how vital mark was to those runs.  it's sad.

I am on board w/ Fitz.  he has played really well the last 5-6 weeks or so after a sluggish start.  we started losing games b/c we stopped running, started dropping passes and the D was awful not b/c of Fitz.

Vital...of course he was.

Fitz is no HOF QB but he is playing well for us right now and that's the best we can and should ask for a guy who was brought in to be a backup and mentor to our young QBs. He was gifted an opportunity to be a starter and he has made the most of it. He's taken leadership of the offense and the players respect that. It's been a long time since we have seen that kind of respect for the QB's leadership on this team.

Tempting another player to punch him in the face was the best thing Geno has done for this team.

Geno and his stench from the previous regime is all that remains. We drop him next year as soon as the season ends. 

fitz has been nothing but mediocre. And that's all we have ever asked for as the jets QB. Just play your balls off. Don't care if it's mediocre just don't be stupid and we will rally behind you. American way. 

Breath of fresh air.

I don't think Fitz would have been better than Sanchez by that much in those years because the OC (Schotty) was NOT as good as Chan to me. Schotty ran a very complicated system while he was here as specifically pointed out by HOF Bret Farve.   

Different schemes and offensive approaches matter.  

Fitz isn't playing the best he has ever has by accident but excellent offensive design,,,,,,

we know hoe easy it is to make back to back title games and win 4 road playoff games.  you can do that w/ any QB:rolleyes:

Yes, when your defense is holding the opponent to 17 points or less and your ground game is churning out 100+ yards on a regular basis, yes it is.

Sanchez had a great game against Pats and I will always appreciate what he did that night.  Doesn't negate the fact that he was anywhere from scrub to meh the rest of the way.

I don't think Fitz would have been better than Sanchez by that much in those years because the OC (Schotty) was NOT as good as Chan to me. Schotty ran a very complicated system while he was here as specifically pointed out by HOF Bret Farve.   

Different schemes and offensive approaches matter.  

Fitz isn't playing the best he has ever has by accident but excellent offensive design,,,,,,

Schottenheimer is terrible (he's failing in the college ranks too as we speak, lol) but so was Sanchez.  Put Chan Gailey with Sanchez and the offense still fails.  Pair Schottenheimer with Fitz and the offense looks a lot better than the Sanchez-led offense.

OC matters but the QB matters more.  Probably 80 % of the effectiveness of the QB is on the QB himself, 20 % on the OC.  #Science

This 10000%

Folks forget we had one of the worst rosters in the NFL the last 4 years, coupled with some of the worst draft classes, and that was supposed to be all changed with a journeyman QB and a few FA acquisitions?

Impossible!

What we all should have been looking for at the beginning of the season was a team playing at a professional level which is what we have experienced for the most part.

Yes, when your defense is holding the opponent to 17 points or less and your ground game is churning out 100+ yards on a regular basis, yes it is.

Sanchez had a great game against Pats and I will always appreciate what he did that night.  Doesn't negate the fact that he was anywhere from scrub to meh the rest of the way.

it's funny how people remember things.  we had 3-4 huge ground games that skewed the rush #s in 2009 and were an average run team in 2010 where we gave up a lot more PPG and the QB led us to 5-6 late game comebacks after defensive/run game failures but we remember what we want to remember.  couldn't even get to the playoffs in 2008 w/. similar roster, easier sched, HOF QB and no Brady but no matter who our QB was the next 2 years we were guaranteed to make it!

Archived