Fitz has won me over

Jetster

Number of times NY Jets QB's posted 90+ QBR from 2012-2014- 9

Fitzpatrick 90+ QBR this season- 7

Never thought I'd see Jets fans so upset to get competent QB play.  

Had no idea people enjoyed watching Pick 6's so much.

Fitz has played well for the most part and as Jet fans that is all we can ask for.  We all know his limitations; the key in almost every win is giving him a lead.   He tends to get exposed when playing from behind.  If he can develop chemistry with Smith and Enunwa also continues to improve, Fitz will have 4 good targets to throw to as opposed to having to rely almost exclusively on Marshall and Decker like he did earlier in the season.   I have been a supporter of Geno and still wonder what would have happened if he hadn't got injured, but that is water under the bridge at this point.  Fitz is our guy and I support him 100%. 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mark isn't done, he was really good last year.  whether he is or not I don't care, I care about what he did for us and I appreciate that.  No he wasn't great but he stepped up for us and helped us win a lot of games.  His career ended here for many reasons.

11 ints, 7 fumbles and sacked 23 times in 9 games last year.  But he threw for yards!  LOL

Goes to show that QBR's are irrelevant then. 

Though I recall Fitz getting HURT because of his stupid sh*t.....everyone forgot that part though. 

Fitz just hates to slide he knows he should but he's old school and hates to pu$$y out..Not quite the same as not throwing the ball away..

He was definitely not horrendous in that game, but if he'd have managed an early score or two to keep it close, people might care more.  Putting up some late points in a blowout doesn't get much attention from any fan base IMO.

Hard not to be in garbage time when the defense/special teams plays a completely incompetent game and it just so happens to be the game that Geno plays in. 

I atleast respect your sensibility here. Fitz has been okay at times. I just see the favoritism in general when it comes to dismissing Geno because he was a Jets player prior. Geno had a good overall game (QBR) while coming in cold. People like to talk about his boneheaded decisions (warranted) but dont mention the boneheaded decision by Fitz that got him hurt. 

Won QB has won more than 6 games in a season. Another hasnt. 

No difference between the two, or is one better than the other? 

Oh, you didn't want to finish the other conversation we were having?  

Won QB has won more than 6 games in a season. Another hasnt. 

No difference between the two, or is one better than the other? 

When the Jets went 8-8 in 2013 I don't think Geno's 12 tds and 21 picks was the main reason.. Just like Marks 12 and 20 wasn't in 2009..

Hard not to be in garbage time when the defense/special teams plays a completely incompetent game and it just so happens to be the game that Geno plays in. 

I atleast respect your sensibility here. Fitz has been okay at times. I just see the favoritism in general when it comes to dismissing Geno because he was a Jets player prior. Geno had a good overall game (QBR) while coming in cold. People like to talk about his boneheaded decisions (warranted) but dont mention the boneheaded decision by Fitz that got him hurt. 

I still utterly fail to see the rampant irrational of dissing fitz to make the geno option look any better.  I also find it a total fable that people thing we have a hist of Fitz lovers on here, the vast majority of people who want Fitz to be the Qb want a real long term solution, know and can see weekly he has limitations. 

Geno will play again before the end of the year imo one way or another but he had his chance to change peoples views of him and he failed.  He was the exact geno we have seen before, nice arm, makes some nice plays but also makes some really bad decisions and has very little pocket awareness.

Oh, you didn't want to finish the other conversation we were having?  

Im entertaining the conversation. Im not running. 

I dont mind comparing a guy in Geno Smith who's won more than 6 games in his rookie season to a guy who has never seen won more than 6 games in a decade long career. 

And sure, he'll most likely get their this year, if he doesnt get hurt SLIDING. Either way, I dont see much of a gap or difference between these guys outside of one being a decade old vet and another being a young QB that never had talent around him until the year he gets punched out and is benched. 

Lets have the convo. Whats your question? 

I still utterly fail to see the rampant irrational of dissing fitz to make the geno option look any better.  I also find it a total fable that people thing we have a hist of Fitz lovers on here, the vast majority of people who want Fitz to be the Qb want a real long term solution, know and can see weekly he has limitations. 

Geno will play again before the end of the year imo one way or another but he had his chance to change peoples views of him and he failed.  He was the exact geno we have seen before, nice arm, makes some nice plays but also makes some really bad decisions and has very little pocket awareness.

Im not dissing Fitz to make Geno look better. You can look all across this forum as see how Jet fans diss the prior QB to make the new QB look better. We had that with Sanchez/Geno, and now we're having it with Fitz/Geno. Next season we'll have the Fitz/Petty situation. 

dont put me in that category. Im one of the few that is actually supporting the older QB here because the new QB hasnt put the conversation to bed. If Fitz was truly "ballin'" this wouldnt be a topic. With Fitz mediocre play (Not a diss....just truth) then you have the continued comparison. 

I dont mind comparing a guy in Geno Smith who's won more than 6 games in his rookie season to a guy who has never seen won more than 6 games in a decade long career. 

And sure, he'll most likely get their this year, if he doesnt get hurt SLIDING. Either way, I dont see much of a gap or difference between these guys outside of one being a decade old vet and another being a young QB that never had talent around him until the year he gets punched out and is benched. 

It depends on the team not just one guy just because Fitz has more wins then Bree's doesn't make him a better QB.. Fitz has been on some really bad teams..

When the Jets went 8-8 in 2013 I don't think Geno's 12 tds and 21 picks was the main reason.. Just like Marks 12 and 20 wasn't in 2009..

He was that starter. 

Just like Fitz stats (whatever they were) contributed to the max 6 wins. So what are you saying? And its not even like he's maintaining some of those stats here. He's completing just 58% of his thorws...thats his worst since 2010. 

It depends on the team not just one guy just because Fitz has more wins then Bree's doesn't make him a better QB.. Fitz has been on some really bad teams..

You're totally right. 

You telling me that the 2013/14 Jets are a similar team to this current team? We BOTH know thats not the case. Why dont I ever hear that when it comes to Geno? 

Why make it about Fitz? So this is only relevant when it comes to FItz but Geno obviously "is who he is" no matter the team as a whole? 

See what I did there? 

He was that starter. 

Just like Fitz stats (whatever they were) contributed to the max 6 wins. So what are you saying? And its not even like he's maintaining some of those stats here. He's completing just 58% of his thorws...thats his worst since 2010. 

It's all good Foe my big problem now is how to fit MG in your Christmas stocking.:)

I've always viewed wins as team stats.  This Sunday it's Jets vs. Giants, not Eli vs. Fitz.  I'm not shocked when an average QB on a bad team has a terrible record.

I was under the impression you were saying a QBR (which is an individual stat, not a team stat) was meaningless so I asked if you'd prefer a QB with a QBR of 30 or a QB with a QBR of 130.

I'm hearing many different titles being thrown around here for Fitz, average, mediocre, game manager, and more.  One I liked is professional.  He'll never be elite like Brady and a handful of other.  He'll never be above average like Eli and a handful of others.  

Most backup QB's are professionals.   Some like Vick are below average pro's.  I put Sanchez into the average to slightly below average pro category.  I don't think Geno will be in the league long enough to achieve pro status.  

A handful of pro's are above average and I put Alex Smith and Fitz into that category.  I find it quite pleasant to have a decent pro under center.       

I'm hearing many different titles being thrown around here for Fitz, average, mediocre, game manager, and more.  One I liked is professional.  He'll never be elite like Brady and a handful of other.  He'll never be above average like Eli and a handful of others.  

Most backup QB's are professionals.   Some like Vick are below average pro's.  I put Sanchez into the average to slightly below average pro category.  I don't think Geno will be in the league long enough to achieve pro status.  

A handful of pro's are above average and I put Alex Smith and Fitz into that category.  I find it quite pleasant to have a decent pro under center.       

You and Bowles describe Fitz the same way..;) And I agree..

I've always viewed wins as team stats.  This Sunday it's Jets vs. Giants, not Eli vs. Fitz.  I'm not shocked when an average QB on a bad team has a terrible record.

I was under the impression you were saying a QBR (which is an individual stat, not a team stat) was meaningless so I asked if you'd prefer a QB with a QBR of 30 or a QB with a QBR of 130.

No, Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

I was saying that the QBR was irrlevant because even when you show that Geno has a near 90QBR while coming in cold and with no chemistry with the 1's someone pointed out his boneheaded mistakes in the game. 

So I responded that the QBR is irrelvant then, meaning that its no longer about the QBR, but what Geno did that was wrong in the game....meanwhile these same people dont bring up Fitz boneheaded mistake of not sliding and getting hurt and pulled from the game. The very reason why Geno was playing was because of a boneheaded mistake by Fitz that he CONTINUES to do lol. :-)

I didnt literally mean that QBR means nothing. 

Im not dissing Fitz to make Geno look better. You can look all across this forum as see how Jet fans diss the prior QB to make the new QB look better. We had that with Sanchez/Geno, and now we're having it with Fitz/Geno. Next season we'll have the Fitz/Petty situation. 

dont put me in that category. Im one of the few that is actually supporting the older QB here because the new QB hasnt put the conversation to bed. If Fitz was truly "ballin'" this wouldnt be a topic. With Fitz mediocre play (Not a diss....just truth) then you have the continued comparison. 

This is something I hear a lot from Geno and Sanchez fans.  You state a fact about their performance and because they were terrible QB's, they call it "bashing".  Referencing the fact that a guy got a playoff win despite completing 50% of his passes and throwing 1 TD and 1 INT isn't bashing, it's a fact.

Saying that Geno threw three pick-6's last year and missed multiple open receivers deep down the field in games that were lost by a score or less is not bashing.  It's an actual thing that really happened on the field of play in 2014.

Glennon's was on the worst team in the league as a whole and an Oline that was ranked the worst for the majority of that season and a receiving corp that was top 10 in dropped passes along with the lowest "YAC" average in the league. 

I know. 

Mike Glennon is so good that the Bucs drafted Jameis Winston to replace him.

Glennon has not been traded, no one is clamoring for him.

So why act like he is the savior?

No, Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

I was saying that the QBR was irrlevant because even when you show that Geno has a near 90QBR while coming in cold and with no chemistry with the 1's someone pointed out his boneheaded mistakes in the game. 

So I responded that the QBR is irrelvant then, meaning that its no longer about the QBR, but what Geno did that was wrong in the game....meanwhile these same people dont bring up Fitz boneheaded mistake of not sliding and getting hurt and pulled from the game. The very reason why Geno was playing was because of a boneheaded mistake by Fitz that he CONTINUES to do lol. :-)

I didnt literally mean that QBR means nothing. 

Gotcha...and you bring up a fair point with Fitz not being criticized and I'll offer my theory on why that's the case.

Fitz does enough good on the field that he builds up some equity and the fans cut him some slack.

No different than Marshall.  How many huge drops has he had this season, that go go along with the lateral in the Philly game?  He's made some killer mistakes but fans don't go crazy because you take the good with the bad.

In the case of Geno, there bad outweighs the good by so much that every single mistake is under the microscope and intolerable.

Fair or not, that's just life.

This is something I hear a lot from Geno and Sanchez fans.  You state a fact about their performance and because they were terrible QB's, they call it "bashing".  Referencing the fact that a guy got a playoff win despite completing 50% of his passes and throwing 1 TD and 1 INT isn't bashing, it's a fact.

Saying that Geno threw three pick-6's last year and missed multiple open receivers deep down the field in games that were lost by a score or less is not bashing.  It's an actual thing that really happened on the field of play in 2014.

I agree with you. But like it was stated by you or Savage, this is a teams sport. Also, I expect these type of things from a rookie in Geno Smith, not a 4th year QB in Sanchez. 

Even so, people hold on to things when it comes to those older Jets QBs (even a rookie/2nd year QB) while giving excuses for everything the new guy did in his 10 year career that wasnt so awesome. 

Thats my problem, not that telling the truth is bashing. 

he was excellent in postseason, a HUGE factor in winning all 4 of those games.  nearly flawless at Cincy, made big plays and outplayed Rivers at SD, Kept us in game at Indy then in 2010 after a slow start at Indy led GW drive, was outstanding at NE, and nearly brought us back from 24-0 down at Pitt.

Hard to win when you are giving up 45 PPG. 

HUGE

Gotcha...and you bring up a fair point with Fitz not being criticized and I'll offer my theory on why that's the case.

Fitz does enough good on the field that he builds up some equity and the fans cut him some slack.

No different than Marshall.  How many huge drops has he had this season, that go go along with the lateral in the Philly game?  He's made some killer mistakes but fans don't go crazy because you take the good with the bad.

In the case of Geno, there bad outweighs the good by so much that every single mistake is under the microscope and intolerable.

Fair or not, that's just life.

But it goes back to this "being a team sport" and also about guys being new to this level of play. 

Geno is HEAVILY criticized, and rightfully so...to a point. I'll give an example. 

I prefer Mike Glennon over Geno Smith because I think that Mike Glennon has dont much more with less. 

People criticize Geno when discussing Fitzpatrick not because they think FItz has done more with less (There was never a team Fitz was on that was as talent deprived as what Geno had to deal with as a 2nd year QB than last year's Jets team). They're only doing it because Fitz is the new guy in town, and then trying to justify this because of the success that FItz is having with the "Most talented group of guys" either guy has been around. 

So when someone says that the good outweighs the bad yet not take into consideration that there was no talent on the team, he was a rookie/2nd year QB without adequate coaching then alot of that has to be taken into consideration. 

If someone said, "I prefer Fitz over Geno because I think Fitz can get the most out of this squad than a young Geno" then I wouldnt argue that because its coming from a place that is understandable (The vet, vs the 2nd year guy who never really got the development needed). But to say that Fitz is outright better than Geno yet dismiss when Geno puts up very "fitzpatrick-like" numbers in that Oakland game just to talk about his boneheaded mistakes yet overlook Fitz getting hurt for not sliding has always been the problem I've had with the point of view. Add to the fact that Fitzpatrick simply hasnt taken the position and secured it via his play. If he did we wouldnt be having this conversation right now...I think thats fair to say. 

BS CB look at guys like Rich Gannon who after 12 seasons all of a sudden becomes a All Pro QB wasn't he ruined with his first 4 teams?? He was a 4th rd pick by the Pats and got cut in preseason..

Your the Sanchize lover not me.......

You and your ilk, if you had your way, would still have the Sanchize at the Jet QB helm today! :) Heeheheheheh

But on a serious note that is why I don't say I am a stats guy alone....I myself would never compare Sanchez to Gannon ever.....  Draft status means little to me....  Gannon was mentally tough, where Sanchez not so much so....

I still say if the Jets weren't going to sit Sanchez so that he could watch and learn....... then don't DRAFT HIM!!!!!

The idea that Sanchez was the only QB that the Jets could have acquired was nonsense...

Back on topic though I like what Fitz is doing for the Jets this year and I love that Chan is placing him a position to succeed, Sanchez isn't on the team anymore and simply not worth the time for the defense.....

And they shouldn't have let Farve just walk to boot!!! That guy wasn't retiring, why he still wants to play NOW!!

It is funny to put Fitz and "breath of fresh air" in the same sentence, not solely because of Fitz, but the fact that the Jets QB situation has been mishandled so badly that Jets fans have even stooped to this level. lol.

What's even funnier is that now that no one is able to legitimately make a case that Fitz isn't the best choice at QB right now, they have to stoop to saying it's a sad situation that Fitz is our best QB in at least 7 years.  Yes, we get it, our QB's have sucked.  At least we have a front office/coaching staff that finally did something about that this year.  2 new QB's, one playing at a top 20 level and the other one of those "developmental projects" you like so much. 

We can do a lot better than Fitz.  Hopefully we will take steps towards finding a true franchise QB (if Petty is not that guy) as early as this offseason.  But we also can, and have, done much worse.  It's about time that people finally accept this to be the truth.  The rest of us have known this since Week 1.  Hell, some of us have known it since May when we made the trade for Fitzpatrick.

Archived