Fess up...where were you dead wrong this season?

AFJF

Still early, obviously, but Mauldin looks like he's going to be at least a useful player, which is more than I expected. Very happy to be wrong on that one.

I watched some Louisville and Mauldin did stand out but I too was little worried about the pick at first.  What's been most impressive about Maudlin is his production to snaps. He's got 3 sacks on 126 snaps.  In comparison here are the pass rushers who were drafted before him:

Dante Fowler - IR before the season started

Vic Beasley - 2 sacks - 379 snaps

Bud Dupree - 4 sacks - 395 snaps

Shane Ray -  2 sacks, 185 snaps

Preston Smith - 3 sacks, 298 snaps

Hau'oli Kikaha - 4 sacks, 472 snaps

Nate Orchard - 0 sacks, 272 snaps

Randy Gregory - 0 sacks, 109 snaps

Owamagabe - 0 sacks, 126 snaps

Eli Harold - 0 sacks, 200 snaps

I'm always wrong so where do I begin:

4-6 wins max - already there

Pryor - been a beast

Coples - haha

Williams - thought he'd have a little more pas rush ability out the gates, still think that comes

Smith - if he can start contributing, that would be cool because I wasnt big on him, I wanted Strong.  haha

I watched some Louisville and Mauldin did stand out but I too was little worried about the pick at first.  What's been most impressive about Maudlin is his production to snaps. He's got 3 sacks on 126 snaps.  In comparison here are the pass rushers who were drafted before him:

Dante Fowler - IR before the season started

Vic Beasley - 2 sacks - 379 snaps

Bud Dupree - 4 sacks - 395 snaps

Shane Ray -  2 sacks, 185 snaps

Preston Smith - 3 sacks, 298 snaps

Hau'oli Kikaha - 4 sacks, 472 snaps

Nate Orchard - 0 sacks, 272 snaps

Randy Gregory - 0 sacks, 109 snaps

Owamagabe - 0 sacks, 126 snaps

Eli Harold - 0 sacks, 200 snaps

Yeah, he's really surprised me. Guys with his Combine numbers tend to be washouts. The guy I wanted there was Odighizuwa, but as you point out, he's been a non-factor thus far. Really glad I was wrong on this, particularly since Mauldin is such an easy guy to root for. This is great info with the snap counts, btw.

-The NFL would cure breast cancer

-Namath would be named starting QB by week 6.

-The Jets would demolish the Giants week 13 but I was wrong as we haven't played them yet.

-Greg Buttle would supplant Phil Simms as the primary color commentator on CBS

-The Patriots would be busted for some kind of scandal involving Ernie Adams and a drone.

-Jimmy Hoffa would be found in the north endzone of Metlife stadium

-The Raiders would move from Oakland to LA to San Diego to London and back to Oakland.

-An actual dolphin would replace Joe Philbin as HC.

-Bill Belichick would edge Rex Ryan as GQ's best-dressed.

- I thought Cro would outplay Revis this season with a bunch of INT's and at least one pick 6

- I thought Coples would be moved to Defensive End and cause big problems in a 4-3 front

- I thought we'd be 8-8 at best

- I thought Milliner would get a bunch of snaps on the outside and maybe some at FS

- I thought Williams would lead the Jets in sacks, setting up a Wilk trade in the off season

The thing I really missed was that I thought this defense would be elite.  It isn't really elite.  It's a good defense, the elite potential is there, but when you only give that elite effort 1 out of every 4-5 games it just doesn't cut it.  I want to believe part of this is the growing pains of a 1st year coaching staff and Bowles/Rodgers will get better over time.  Sending Sheldon to DE this year has been a pleasant surprise and a nice move by Bowles given the depth on the interior DL, Sheldon is the kind of special player that can adapt to any spot, but eventually they're gonna need to find new speed on the edge, as we won't have this depth forever and Sheldon will have to go back inside.

Some other thoughts I missed on:

-I thought Bowles would find a way to use Coples enough to keep him on the roster, but Coples's poor motor finally caught up with him.

-I thought Demario Davis would play better.  I like his attitude but I don't know if he has the lateral quickness to play linebacker in the modern NFL.

-I thought Cro would play better.  He seems to be a on a consistent 1 year on, 1 year off pattern.

-I thought Bowles would blitz more aggressively, and play more across-the-board man coverage with all these talented cornerbacks, including Milliner.

-I thought Kerley would contribute as a slot receiver, but understand why Gailey chose to go with the starters in the slot and Enunwa as h-back instead given Fitz's mediocre arm.  Kerley is a decent slot guy but he just doesn't fit this system and his contract made him tough to trade

I thought a healthy Jets D-line was going to be insanely good.

I thought the Jets secondary would play way more press coverage going hand in hand with the insane rush the D-line was supposed to create.

I thought Devin Smith was going to be a huge impact player and he stinks.

I thought the Dline was going to be "Scary", that's the word the media used when we drafted Leo. I thought with our scary Dline the secondary would be phenomenal, except I new Cro sucked & did not like that signing, but I thought either Milliner, McDougs, or Marcus Williams would shine. Marcus can cover but he can't tackle for sh*t, so if you've got him & Damario (bad angle) Davis on the same side of the field your in some trouble.

i also thought Geno would step up with Decker & Marshall but I'm happy that Ik cracked him. As soon as he had to come in for Fitz in Oakland & started throwing off his back foot, not stepping up in the pocket & ran out of bounds losing yardage that was it for me. I honestly believe that Geno has crazy talent but he's just not smart enough to utilize it. Just imagine a smart Geno, he's fast enough to be a pain in the azz running for 1st downs, he can sling it on the run, when he does step up in the pocket he's got real good arm strength & throws a damn nice spiral. After we cut him someone will try & resurrect him, they always do. 

I thought Bilal Powell was going to be as good as Ivory for us. Ouch. But I'm not giving up.

We missed a healthy Bilal when Ivory was dinged. Everyone was killing him but he obviously was hurt & tried to go on a bad wheel. How many games did he miss with that ankle? Bilal & Enunwa give us much needed depth on offense. If Devin Smith comes around Fitz should be able to spread the ball around & stop people from crowding the LOS.

I also think Enunwa has huge upside, he's relatively inexperienced & has had some drops but he a physical specimen & not easy to bring down, he had a nice stiff arm on Sunday. Marshall, Decker, Enunwa & Ivory are some big physical dudes fellas. Healthy, those 4 can beat down a defense. Jets just need a Bernard type in the draft next year. 

We missed a healthy Bilal when Ivory was dinged. Everyone was killing him but he obviously was hurt & tried to go on a bad wheel. How many games did he miss with that ankle? Bilal & Enunwa give us much needed depth on offense. If Devin Smith comes around Fitz should be able to spread the ball around & stop people from crowding the LOS.

I also think Enunwa has huge upside, he's relatively inexperienced & has had some drops but he a physical specimen & not easy to bring down, he had a nice stiff arm on Sunday. Marshall, Decker, Enunwa & Ivory are some big physical dudes fellas. Healthy, those 4 can beat down a defense. Jets just need a Bernard type in the draft next year. 

The guy we needed is that  David Johnson kid who plays for Arizona . The best thing he did coming into the league is catch the ball out of the backfield . He's not a bad RB either, and has shown a willingness to block. With Ivory as our primary back and Powell , that kid would have been perfect behind those 2 while he developed his running style against pro defenders.

The guy we need to take a look at for this position in the draft currently plays receiver and his name is Braxton Miller the former OSU QB.

As far as being dead wrong, my pick was Coples. I wanted the Jets to draft him and I wanted him to be a Rush LBer. Kid is strong, but has no real love for football. His heart is not in the game.

It ain't over yet, I said that I thought that this might be the deepest roster the Jets have had in a generation. AND...with the right breaks, a few calls here and there and no injuries at the most important positions that the 2015 New York Jets could very well be the AFC's representative in the Super Bowl. Which simply goes to show WHY....when it comes to being a GM of a pro football team I'm a pretty good.........musician

The dline is easily the area that I was most wrong and remain disappointed with.  I definitely thought when Richardson came back we'd see one of the greatest dlines ever...like when the Vikings had the Williams boys in the middle, and then you added a young John Randle to it in the draft in Williams...definitely wrong there.  Watt by himself was a better dline than our 3 combined unfortunately.

I thought our secondary would be elite when factoring in the pressure from the dline...qbs would have to get the ball out early, making coverage easier and with these dbs, they'd feast on qbs.  No way I thought Bortles and Carr would look like Rodgers and Kurt warner.

I thought Amaro would be a Chris Cooley type for us this year.

I definitely thought Mo's deal would be done by week 1 to avoid the huge cap hit of the franchise tag.

I definitely thought Cro would give up some plays, that's what he does even at his best, but I also thought he'd be making far more plays than he has.

On the plus side, Fitzpatrick, Decker, ivory, and Marshall far exceeded my expectations, not that they were low for them, but they have out performed what we gave up to get them (in Decker's case, $7.5 mill ain't bad for what he's producing and adding to the offense).

The guy we needed is that  David Johnson kid who plays for Arizona . The best thing he did coming into the league is catch the ball out of the backfield . He's not a bad RB either, and has shown a willingness to block. With Ivory as our primary back and Powell , that kid would have been perfect behind those 2 while he developed his running style against pro defenders.

The guy we need to take a look at for this position in the draft currently plays receiver and his name is Braxton Miller the former OSU QB.

As far as being dead wrong, my pick was Coples. I wanted the Jets to draft him and I wanted him to be a Rush LBer. Kid is strong, but has no real love for football. His heart is not in the game.

I was hoping for a late flyer on Cobb Rb Minn late in the draft or Duke Johnson in the middle rds (RB Miami).  Glad we got Mauldin though...not so much on Harrison OG over Cobb though.  I think Cobb will eventually be the #1 back for the titans.  

I thought the Dline would dominate as well, BUT, it seems in general this year, the refs are letting holding by the Oline go a lot more than years past. It seems to vary a bit by game, but many games Olines are mugging Dlineman and its very rarely getting called. That will neutralize a good Dline all day long.

All of these PLUS I thought New England would suck after the crazy off season - what a DOPE!!!!

That's the big one that got me this season...well if we are being honest it gets me just about every season. I always think NE is going to suck and that the Jets have a good shot at the division.

I thought the Jets would either trade Mo Wilkerson , or sign him long term before the start of the season.( surprise they elected to go the route they did)

Surprised Sheldon Richardson didn't screw up again.( once a pothead always a pothead)

Calvin Pryor play surprise me.

Thought the Jets running game would be better than it has been.

Surprised the Jets are going to win more than six games with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starting Qb.( has played pretty well for you guys)

Archived