2016 Strategy for Secondary

varjet

Many of us thought that the Jets were carrying too many DBs on the roster.  Given the rate at which they are injured, the emphasis on the passing game, their use on special teams, and the flexibility to use S as basically LBs, that appeared to be a smart strategy.

Subject to BPA as always, I am thinking this offseason is one where the Jets do not focus on the DBs, use the ones we have/coming off of IR, and see how it goes.  Specifically:

• Cromartie will start playing better to get renewed for next year.  We must not be fooled, unless he comes back super cheap.  We should move on without him.
  • At this point I am ok really not playing Milliner now.  Let him practice now.  If Milliner is smart, he wakes up in the offseason, realizes that next year is his contract year, and has a James Farrior moment and gets it all together.  We must not be fooled by this either, regardless of how the Farrior situation worked out.  We can let him go and take the compensatory draft pick, but hopefully he can put it together in 2016 to be an asset to the team.  If he is not great, or is hurt, during Training Camp 2016, the Jets should just cut him and move on. 
  • Hopefully Antonio Allen can return and add to the mix at Safety.  I don't think Jacquan Jarret is needed anymore.  The others are developing depth.
  • Revis hopefully trains hard and can come back in the same place he was this year.  
  • In 2017, the Jets should be looking for a shutdown corner, in the draft or FA.

Cro is cut either way because he's not worth the money. Walls is a FA too. He's good depth and would probably be cheap but he'll get a better offer elsewhere.

Milliner sucks and cost us Tyler Eifert. I don't think his style of play is a fit for Bowles system.  

Between Gilchrist, Pryor, Miles, Allen, Bailey, and Martin safety is fine. 

Jets should be looking for a corner in the next few drafts. 2016 will be finding a QB, figuring out RB, solidifying the OLine, and adding speed to the LB group. 

Cro is cut either way because he's not worth the money. Walls is a FA too. He's good depth and would probably be cheap but he'll get a better offer elsewhere.

Milliner sucks and cost us Tyler Eifert. I don't think his style of play is a fit for Bowles system.  

Between Gilchrist, Pryor, Miles, Allen, Bailey, and Martin safety is fine. 

Jets should be looking for a corner in the next few drafts. 2016 will be finding a QB, figuring out RB, solidifying the OLine, and adding speed to the LB group. 

IF you want to play devils advocate with that draft, the Jets could have come away with Sheldon, DeAndre Hopkins, Leveon Bell, and either K Allen or M Glennon pick your poison with their first 4 picks, and nobody would have said boo about the Jets reaching for those players if they were selected in order of 1st Richardson, 1st Hopkins, 2nd Bell, 3rd, either Allen, or Glennon.

Funny how our GM was a huge part of that scouting department who selected Hopkins in the 1st that year.

Instead we end up with Millner, Geno, and Winters with the other 3 selections.  Such is life as a NYJ fan.

hopefully we shy away from BPA if it's a DL

Hopefully either Scooby Wright, or Myes Jack slip down the draft board because of their injuries, both can be a force in the middle of the Jets D at MLB for years to come, both can cover TE's, go sideline to sideline, have tremendous athletic ability, and can get after the QB on a blitz when asked, and get after him good.

Myles Jack also played RB for UCLA that's how good an athlete he is.

Scooby Wright put up video game numbers in 2014 for Arizona, and has had an injury plaqued season, he was being compared to Kuechel of Carolina last year.

Thats the only D spot I'd draft this year in the 1st round D Davis is not the future, and Harris is having a good year, but not much left for him.

If they don't go with those 2 it better be the best available OT capable of playing LT to replace Dbrick, move Brick over to RT for a year or 2 before saying adios.

IF you want to play devils advocate with that draft, the Jets could have come away with Sheldon, DeAndre Hopkins, Leveon Bell, and either K Allen or M Glennon pick your poison with their first 4 picks, and nobody would have said boo about the Jets reaching for those players if they were selected in order of 1st Richardson, 1st Hopkins, 2nd Bell, 3rd, either Allen, or Glennon.

Funny how our GM was a huge part of that scouting department who selected Hopkins in the 1st that year.

Instead we end up with Millner, Geno, and Winters with the other 3 selections.  Such is life as a NYJ fan.

OMFG! Can you imagine where we would be with that draft! Sheldon, Hopkins, Bell, Keenan Allen! Talk about SCARY! With that kind of talent we might have been in the running for the best available free agent QB. If your a QB & you see that trio of young talent you'd be asking to be traded to the Jets. I wanted Keenan too, damn idiots!

Archived