Mehta on Revis

Section 333

I know he's a headline grabbing white but this article had my stomach turning.

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-darrelle-revis-odell-beckham-isn-fair-fight-article-1.2451677

Darrelle Revis, who hasn’t looked so invincible this season, will be tested this weekend against Oakland’s Amari Cooper.
JIM ROGASH/GETTY IMAGES

Darrelle Revis, who hasn’t looked so invincible this season, will be tested this weekend against Oakland’s Amari Cooper.

Darrelle Revis is still one of the game’s top cornerbacks, but there’s no escaping this truth: The air of invincibility is gone.

Revis Island remains an annoying place for wide receivers, but it’s no longer the Bermuda Triangle. He is no longer Superman, either. He bleeds. It turns out that he is, in fact, human.

The perennial Pro Bowler is far from finished — Father Time hasn’t sapped him of all his superpowers — but there have been growing signs of vulnerability that shouldn’t be ignored. Don’t get it twisted: No. 24 remains a weekly headache for offensive coordinators, but his days of consistently erasing an opponents’ top threat are gone.

BOOMER: JETS WANTED TO KNOW PATS DIDN'T BUG LOCKER ROOM

Revis isn’t what he once was — none of us are — but the expectations remain sky high. Perhaps it’s unfair to believe that a 30-year-old cornerback with a surgically repaired knee can replicate his exploits as a younger man. It was unrealistic to think that the Jets were getting the same shutdown force that turned in arguably the single best season for a cornerback in NFL history six year ago.

Revis’ magical 2009 campaign might never be duplicated… by anyone. He silenced superstars with uncanny precision. He matched up against six 1,000-yard receivers that combined for 59 touchdowns that season. He allowed an average of 3.8 receptions for 44 yards to those six players. He set a single-season record with 31 passes defended during a run that should have helped earn him Defensive Player of the Year honors.

Revis’ reunion with his old team has yielded solid — but not spectacular — results. Revis is still the Jets’ top cornerback, but he has looked vulnerable at times despite not lining up against elite receivers through the first six games.

Washington’s Pierre Garcon made Revis look silly on a 2-yard touchdown reception two weeks ago. Patriots’ wideout Julian Edelman beat Revis clean with his quickness before dropping an easy 6-yard touchdown last week. Both sights used to be inconceivable.

Revis might have been beaten from time to time in the past, but he was rarely, if ever, embarrassed.

There have been undeniable pockets of shaky play, but Revis has played fairly well for the most part. His three interceptions and three fumble recoveries shouldn’t be dismissed. He’s still the heartbeat of one of the most formidable secondaries in the league.

CHECK OUT OUR NEW APP: GET THE DAILY NEWS ON ANDROID & iOS

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Revis marginalized Colts’ speedster T.Y. Hilton in Week 2, but Andrew Luck’s top threat was playing with a bruised knee. Revis also neutralized Dolphins second-year wideout Jarvis Landry.

He won’t face a truly elite talent, however, until he matches up against Raiders’ rookie sensation Amari Cooper on Sunday in The Black Hole.

Revis uncharacteristically declined to talk to reporters in the locker room Thursday in the run-up to his toughest challenge through seven weeks. He knows that he’ll be tested in a way that he hasn’t been to this point in the season.

Brandon Marshall called Cooper a cross between A.J. Green and Chad Johnson. Buster Skrine believes the rookie with 33 receptions for 519 yards (15.7 ypc) and three touchdowns already is one of the best at his position.

"Rarely do you see receivers come out of college… able to run patterns," Bowles said of the No. 4 overall pick. "A route runner is more dangerous than just a speed guy or a big receiver. He can do both."

RELATED: JETS PRAISE COOPER AS REVIS BUCKLES DOWN

The 6-1 Cooper, tops in the league with 302 yards after the catch, seemingly has everything except freakish size. He’s the fifth rookie with at least 500 yards in his first six career games and the first with three 100-yard receiving games in that span since Mike Ditka in 1961.

Cooper has already found success against one of the game’s top cornerbacks with his six-catch, 87-yard performance against Browns Pro Bowler Joe Haden.

Revis, of course, has seen and heard it all before. More times than not, the six-time Pro Bowl cornerback has won anticipated head-to-head matchups. Revis’ physical gifts might be slipping — some believe he looks slower — but his football mind is as sharp as ever. His study habits remain unmatched.

"Obviously," Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio said, "he’s a student of the game, because you can see how he anticipates route combinations."

Revis is staring at a litany of challenging receivers over the final 10 weeks, including Sammy Watkins, DeAndre Hopkins, Odell Beckham Jr. and Dez Bryant.

There was a time not long ago when the outcomes of those matchups were predictable. Nobody escaped Revis Island.

Now, there’s at least some doubt.

Age catches up with Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis as he can't handle top WRs anymore.
DAVID J. PHILLIP/AP

Age catches up with Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis as he can't handle top WRs anymore.

Nobody this great deserves to suffer the indignity of being marginalized by air quotes, but here's the unvarnished truth: "Revis Island" should be permanently shut down.

Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins embarrassed Darrelle Revis two weeks ago. Giants superstar Odell Beckham Jr., will do the same if the Jets cornerback is cleared to play this weekend after suffering a concussion in Houston.

Revis will find a permanent place in Canton one day, but this won't be a fair fight. Beckham will threaten Flipper Anderson's 26-year-old single-game receiving record (336 yards) if the Jets are foolish enough to give him the true Revis Island treatment.

It's the ultimate mismatch.

VACCHIANO: BECKHAM-CENTRIC GIANTS WON'T CHANGE FOR REVIS

Revis has a high football I.Q., but his film study alone won't help neutralize the younger, quicker, faster and more athletic player (with an elite quarterback). Revis simply doesn't have the change-of-direction ability to handle Beckham's short-area quickness or the athleticism and deep speed to keep pace with the Giants' wideout.

It would get ugly in a hurry.

Revis is the best cover cornerback since Deion Sanders, but his decline has been evident this season. He showed cracks early on, but escaped trouble thanks to errant passes to wide-open receivers, who had beaten him clean.

"He was never an overly athletic or fast guy," said one scout. "At some point, you had to know it was going to catch up with him."

The Jets obviously believed that the nine-year veteran had at least 2-3 years of top-end cornerback play left when they guaranteed him $39 million as part of a 5-year, $70 million deal, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The 30-year-old cornerback has been visibly slower this year. His decline was inevitable, but it's surprising that his skills appear to be eroding at this rate.

THE BATTLE FOR NY: TOP 10 MOMENTS IN JETS VS. GIANTS HISTORY

NYC PAPERS OUT. Social media use restricted to low res file max 184 x 128 pixels and 72 dpi
COREY SIPKIN/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Odell Beckham will run all over the Darrelle Revis and the Jets on Sunday if Gang Green tries to stop the Giants star with the aging veteran cornerback.

VICTOR CRUZ TD A DISTANT MEMORY TO JETS' ANTONIO CROMARTIE

"Age doesn't discriminate," said one opposing coach.

The Jets knew that they had to overpay to lure Revis back, but this contract might be an albatross if he doesn't play better against elite receivers.

"It could be worse," said one front office executive. "They could have signed Byron Maxwell."

Analyst Darren Woodson, criticized last month for pointing out slippage in Revis' play, was dead on. Revis is still a No. 1 cornerback, but not the runaway No. 1 cornerback in the league anymore.

He can adequately handle middling-to-very good receivers. It's the elite guys - those who used to disappear on Revis Island - that give him problems. The evidence has been sprinkled everywhere throughout the season. It's been glaring over the past month.

MEHTA: JETS IN THE PLAYOFFS? THEY HAVE PLENTY TO FIX FIRST

Amari Cooper beat Revis down the field for what should have been a 78-yard touchdown on the Raiders' first play from scrimmage in Week 8 if not for Derek Carr's poor pass that floated out of bounds.

Sammy Watkins was open downfield by about five yards on the first play from scrimmage in Week 10 on what should have been an 82-yard touchdown before Revis was bailed out by Tyrod Taylor's horrific pass.

Revis was lucky again in Week 11 when T.J. Yates badly overthrew a wide-open Hopkins, who easily got behind the Jets corner by at least five yards, for what should have been a 69-yard score. Revis wasn't so fortunate the next time when Hopkins torched him for a 61-yard touchdown.

"He's not the same player," said another opposing coach of Revis.

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Odell Beckham will soar over Darrelle Revis if given the chance on Sunday.
ED MULHOLLAND/USA TODAY SPORTS

Odell Beckham will soar over Darrelle Revis if given the chance on Sunday.

CHECK OUT OUR NEW APP: GET THE DAILY NEWS ON ANDROID & iOS

He's definitely not. Maybe it's just a slump. Maybe it's a stark message from Father Time. Either way, it'll be incumbent about Todd Bowles to make the proper adjustments. Revis is as prideful and competitive as they come, so it's unlikely that he'll ask for consistent safety help against elite receivers.

Bowles has a track record of making smart adjustments. He'll have three choices against the Giants on Sunday if he wants to play man-to-man coverage: A) Put Beckham on Revis Island B) Give Revis safety help over the top against Beckham, or C) Play Revis on Rueben Randle and have another cornerback and safety double-team Beckham.

Option A is just asking for trouble.

Bill Belichick, whose team obviously hasn't been devastated by Revis' offseason departure, sometimes played the perennial Pro Bowler on an opponent's No. 2 receiver and doubled the top target on the opposite side. That might make sense for Bowles now.

The Jets severely overpaid for Revis to shut down the game's best receivers, but there's no reason to be stubborn if it's not working. Bowles made a halftime adjustment in Houston two weeks ago after Hopkins carved up Revis in the first half. The coach is flexible.

Playing Revis on Beckham in single coverage would be a suicide mission.

Coaches and scouts around the league have noticed that Revis, perhaps compensating for his lack of deep speed, has played not to get beat deep. He's more vulnerable now than ever.

Beckham, coming off a torrid November (30 catches, 481 yards, 5 TDs), would routinely beat him in true one-on-one coverage. Eli Manning might target Beckham 20 times if he's singled up with Revis without deep help.

It's dangerous to count out Revis, but the eyes don't lie. He won't be able to handle Beckham all by himself.

The Jets must adjust accordingly.

Manish is a hack. I read this too. Didn't think it was worth the Internet space it was printed on or worth sharing. Anyone worth their salt would dig deeper into the numbers and see a top flight corner who has lost a few battles this season but is winning the war. 

I agree, still worth sharing here for anyone who didn't see it.

A lot of "should haves" in this article, clearly shows the lack of professionalism, should have pieces are for Jet nation posters, not paid beat writers.  Maybe go look at the tape, maybe just maybe Revis bumped the WR at the line which caused 2 actions the first which Mehta sites in article WR gets behind Revis, but the part he doesn't share is that maybe just maybe that jam at the line also caused a 2nd action which is throwing off the timing of the route, and even thou it looked like the WR beat Revis clear he actually lost the battle at the line of scrimmage with Revis throwing off the route.  Now I'm a jet nation poster so I can write this without actually digging into the all 22 film, and write this assumption that maybe Revis did actually shut those routes down, just not where it was clear as day for everyone to see, and all they saw was wow he had Revis beat bad if he only threw it accurately. 

Maybe someone who has acess to all 22 can check the plays in question to see if anything I wrote is true, it would be appreciated, and would also like to actually know if Revis is really getting beat clean, or if he did his job the way I assumed in this rant.

Beckham will threaten Flipper Anderson's 26-year-old single-game receiving record (336 yards) if the Jets are foolish enough to give him the true Revis Island treatment.

this is absolutely absurd, mansh*t metha is a complete hack. I'm shocked that he still has a job

"He was never an overly athletic or fast guy," said one scout. "At some point, you had to know it was going to catch up with him."

this is another absurd statement... revis ran a 4.38 40 and his measurables were off the chart... gotta love metha's "anonymous sources"... what a hack

Revis has gotten beat badly a few times thou, just not as bad as people are making it out to be, Hopkins is possibly the best athletic route runner in the NFL, he beat him with a option route, and never tipped off which option he was gonna take until he sprinted deep after he almost completely stopped his route, Revis guessed wrong vs Garcon, probably saw something he thought he remembered from tape review, and they either made an adjustment to their tendancies, or Revis was wrong in his read.  

Most others were not huge plays.

Revis has gotten beat badly a few times thou, just not as bad as people are making it out to be, Hopkins is possibly the best athletic route runner in the NFL, he beat him with a option route, and never tipped off which option he was gonna take until he sprinted deep after he almost completely stopped his route, Revis guessed wrong vs Garcon, probably saw something he thought he remembered from tape review, and they either made an adjustment to their tendancies, or Revis was wrong in his read.  

Most others were not huge plays.

I'm not 100% certain but the hopkins TD seemed like revis got caught trying to goad keenum into throwing a pick and he made a mistake by letting him get too far behind... it was an odd play

I have a Twitter to keep up with Jets writers mainly and barely ever say anything to anyone but I was quickly and promptly blocked from his account haha.

He sent me a pretty sweet DM questioning my parenting skills because I called him a clown. 

I'm not 100% certain but the hopkins TD seemed like revis got caught trying to goad keenum into throwing a pick and he made a mistake by letting him get too far behind... it was an odd play

this is what francesa said. Rarely agree with him but went back and looked at the play again and it made sense. He may have been betting he couldn't throw it that far accurately. 

this is what francesa said. Rarely agree with him but went back and looked at the play again and it made sense. He may have been betting he couldn't throw it that far accurately. 

If I recall correctly maybe I'm wrong, but the 2 were virtually stopped, and joined at the hip with Hopkins having deep position, and to me it looked like Hopkins had a middle post, or deep 9 route/flag route, and Revis was in perfect position to jump the middle post probably for a pick, but Hopkins went from zero to 60 to the deep flag 9 route option, and Yates also read it right, this also doesn't happen if someone on the front 4 gets in Yates face not giving him the time, or vision to make that read.

Eithe way great Route, and great throw by those 2, Revis got beat.

Edit it was the opposite Revis played the outside deep route, Hopkins seperated to the deep inside my bad, and TBH after rewatching it, Hopkins got like 3 steps on Revis off that initial Burst to the post, and Revis still almost caught up to knock that thing away, he made up 2 of the 3 steps it looked like to me anyways.

Again he got beat by an all world WR, there is no disputing it, but to say it's going to be the norm not the exception is a tad far fetched, maybe it will become the norm, but let's give the future HOF CB the benefit of the doubt after a handful of plays he got beat on in 11 games.  I think Cromartie got beat that many times in 1 game then Revis did all year.

When you have Revis reputation people expect 100% shutouts! it's ridiculous. Instead of pounding on Revis for getting beat how about we fault the Dline for not even getting CLOSE to pressuring Yates behind a sh*tty azz Oline where Yates was able to take a good 5 seconds to wind up & step up in a freaking wide open pocket! That's the type of play where just the SLIGHTEST bit of pressure doesn't let Yates step into the throw & because it's slightly under thrown Revis is bringing an interception back to midfield. No one in this league can stay with the top 10 receivers if the QB has all day to throw with no pressure. Revis can do it 9 out of 10 times. 

Wow what a hack job. You would think Beckham was going up against Vance Joseph reading the article.

Granted Revis has not had a typical Revis year and maybe guys like Patrick Peterson and Josh Norman are the best corners in the game but it doesn't take long to get to Revis' name in roll call.

Strange article

It just figures, doesn't it? You sign Revis to a blockbuster deal with an unheard of guarantee for an NFL cornerback, even tampering to get him to stick it to the Patriots, and he shows up and is over the hill. Meanwhile the Patriots have one of the best defenses in the national football league.

I remember the thrill of victory here after you locked up Revis away from the Patriots, at the height of your Deflategate stupidity, and now here you are again, struggling to stay afloat in Wildcard contention while the Patriots are Superbowl favorites.

Revis is just going to get worse every year. Wouldn't be surprised if he drops off a cliff next year. You're on the hook for him for awhile.

It just figures, doesn't it? You sign Revis to a blockbuster deal with an unheard of guarantee for an NFL cornerback, even tampering to get him to stick it to the Patriots, and he shows up and is over the hill. Meanwhile the Patriots have one of the best defenses in the national football league.

I remember the thrill of victory here after you locked up Revis away from the Patriots, at the height of your Deflategate stupidity, and now here you are again, struggling to stay afloat in Wildcard contention while the Patriots are Superbowl favorites.

Revis is just going to get worse every year. Wouldn't be surprised if he drops off a cliff next year. You're on the hook for him for awhile.

He got the Pats over the top last year and they will fall just short without him this year. You'll miss him soon enough, if you haven't yet. The Pats, like the Jets, have been the beneficiaries of terrible QB play from their opponents. Their opponents have not been able to take advantage of their porous secondary. That will end in the post-season.

So we lose Super Man and now we have Iron Man.  That's not bad.

Revis has lost a little something and that was bound to happen.  He is going to give up up a few more catches and unfortunately may get beat here and there but he is still arguably the best CB in the league.  Maybe the Sherman and Peterson fans have more to say now  but we still have a top notch CB patrolling parts of our field.

Archived