Jets-Giants not a rivalry?

MetsJets1962

According to Bowles. What's your take on this? I mean I suppose it's a bit like when the Mets play the Yankees, albeit the games are more frequent. I mean as much as I hate the Yankees and love beating them I couldn't really call them a rival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only legit  'in town' rivalry in NY sports is Rangers/Islanders/Devils.

Said it in another thread, if the Nets and Knicks were ever good at the same time that would be one too. 

Mets, Yankees, Giants, and Jets fans who hate on each other are wasting time. There's a few franchises in Boston and Philly, among a few others, that deserve some more attention.

According to Bowles. What's your take on this? I mean I suppose it's a bit like when the Mets play the Yankees, albeit the games are more frequent. I mean as much as I hate the Yankees and love beating them I couldn't really call them a rival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I never had a problem with the Giants. I've rooted for them during their last 2 trips to the SB against the Pats. One of my fav QB's in the league is Eli Manning. ODB (though overhyped by the NFL for no reason) is just great to watch. I always liked Tiki Barber and the 2007 version of Brandon Jacobs.

I never had a bad or rivalry-type feeling towards the Giants. I just thought that Jets games, and fans were much more exciting. I've been to a Giants game and the crowd sucks and the their play, although efficient just didnt excite me. I always respected the Giants though. 

For this week, it's a game both teams need to win because the loser is probably done for any chance at the playoffs. To the players and coaches that really is all that matters. One of Ryan's greatest failings was the Christmas Eve game where he ran his mouth. To about winning football games, the rest of it is details. Bowles is taking the right approach. Whether that helps a gimpy Revis on Beckham...

I hate the general Giants fan. I have family and friends who are Giants fans, and know some that are good, but there are so many that are obnoxious a holes about the Giants. I also hate how the Giants organization likes to take quiet digs and swipes at the Jets and their fans. The Giants organization and their fans like to act like they are all class, but they are not at all. And while I respect Coughlin as a coach, I hate watching him bitch and whine at the officials every damn play. At the same time, I will say its effective, becuase it gets them calls. They get away with murder and other teams almost always get the shaft from the refs when playing them, and I really think Coughlins bitching at them non stop is why, much like Brady and the Pats.

Rivalry for the fans  more than the players. Bowles sticks to his low key approach

Pretty much the case with every opponent.  Tons of opposing players hugging/laughing/joking around pre-game, during commercials and post-game.  Its their job...fans get way more worked up than the players do on a weekly basis.

Heres what pisses me off... The Giant fan acts as if they have been an elite team since 1925 when in reality they SUCKED from thr 60s until Parcells came to town.  Keep in mind the Jets won the Superbowl 17 years before the Giants. They have one of the biggest drug users and convicted rapist as their "guy" .  But they talk sh*t like these things never happened.  So the giants are 1 of 32 teams, 31 I hate , some more than others.  But Giants fans are all around so I despise some of the delusional ones.  EFF LT and EFF the giants

He was exciting, especially when he stopped fumbling the ball. Remember, this is back in the day when pretty much the only other games you could watch in NY on a weekly basis was the Giants and Cowboys, though I never really cared for the Cowboys. 

Tiki was a beast. 

He was so good and full of himself because of his greatness, after he retired he called out the entire franchise, from top to bottom.  GM, HC and QB, you name it.  And that very season, they won it all.

Tiki was and is a dbag.

EDIT; PS; I dont consider the Giants a rival. 

He was so good and full of himself because of his greatness, after he retired he called out the entire franchise, from top to bottom.  GM, HC and QB, you name it.  And that very season, they won it all.

Tiki was and is a dbag.

EDIT; PS; I dont consider the Giants a rival. 

With all that said, the man was still a beast. 

My 88 year old father is a Giants fan and has been since he was a teen.

I am grateful they gave my old man that and of course happy they have the Pats* number when it comes to the Superbowl.

How awful would it be if they beat the Giants twice?

Having said that I hope the Jets crush them and their playoff hopes this week.

This is not a rivalry but I'm sure each teams ownership really wants to win the game, especially when you both play in the same stadium.  

I wish this was more of a rivalry but unfortunately our side hasn't produced over the years.  Just seeing Giant fans with their jerseys on and they have so many different players that they can wear on their backs.  We are so limited with who we can wear on our backs.

It's a must game for both teams so there is additional yapping for the fan base as the loser is going to be in a very bad position for a playoff spot.

I wish this was more of a rivalry but unfortunately our side hasn't produced over the years.  Just seeing Giant fans with their jerseys on and they have so many different players that they can wear on their backs.  We are so limited with who we can wear on our backs.

meh, go to a Giants game, you'll see they all wear the same names. Manning, umenyiora, Cruz, pierre paul. The youngins got beckham now. The old farts wear Bavaro. Thats pretty much it.

They're hardly a storied franchise like the steelers or something, a lot of their success was fairly recent. 

I agree. I never had a problem with the Giants. I've rooted for them during their last 2 trips to the SB against the Pats. One of my fav QB's in the league is Eli Manning. ODB (though overhyped by the NFL for no reason) is just great to watch. I always liked Tiki Barber and the 2007 version of Brandon Jacobs.

I never had a bad or rivalry-type feeling towards the Giants. I just thought that Jets games, and fans were much more exciting. I've been to a Giants game and the crowd sucks and the their play, although efficient just didnt excite me. I always respected the Giants though. 

Lives in Germany.  Thanks for checking in.

Never a rivalry for me. We play for real once every four years. My whole family and best friends are giants fans. I wanna beat them when we play each other, but I watch all their games and want them to do well

I'm not judging you when I say this:  You're not actually a Jets fan.  Sorry.  

Archived