Super Bowl Halftime Show is...

CrazyCarl40

Who?

Right, so here's how this plays out: I'd probably name a handful of bands or artists that would be more accessible, like Jack White or TV on the Radio, maybe even Arcade Fire or Real Estate if I was feeling saucy, and then you'd take a few minutes to type those bands into YouTube. You'd then listen to them derping all the way to the back in my day rock n'roll was real rock n'roll schtick, and I'd roll my eyes and probably just stop responding because it's pointless discussing the state of today's music with the elderly. So why don't we just skip all that jazz and maybe you can just admit that you don't really seek out new music anymore, and it's clear that you don't, so you're probably not the right guy to be handing down wildly condescending and stupid generalizations about today's musicians.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only today's music had bands like Bread.

that was too easy, lol

music has to change, and thank god it does. if some kid today was trying to be the 7th version of gordon lightfoot it would mean the end of music

Right, so here's how this plays out: I'd probably name a handful of bands or artists that would be more accessible, like Jack White or TV on the Radio, maybe even Arcade Fire or Real Estate if I was feeling saucy, and then you'd take a few minutes to type those bands into YouTube. You'd then listen to them derping all the way to the back in my day rock n'roll was real rock n'roll schtick, and I'd roll my eyes and probably just stop responding because it's pointless discussing the state of today's music with the elderly. So why don't we just skip all that jazz and maybe you can just admit that you don't really seek out new music anymore, and it's clear that you don't, so you're probably not the right guy to be handing down wildly condescending and stupid generalizations about today's musicians.

I have seen Arcade Fire on Austin City limits quite a few times.

Their schitk is original and different, but do you really believe that 20 years from today that we will look back and marvel at their greatness? I don't because I know exceptional when I see it. Some folks don't know any better though, so we should let them think its the same.

The state of todays music is pretty sad.

Its why old geezers like the Who and Stones can fill still stadiums.

I've always thought it's because boomers are a bunch of self-obsessed dorks with a ton of disposable income, but yeah also everything new is bad, good call

The number one singles of 73, 74, and 75 were Tony Orlando & Dawn, Barbara Streisand, and Captain & Tennile. Whatever happened to music like that?

The story always ends
And if you read between the lines
You'll know that I'm just trying to understand
The feeling that you left

I never thought I could feel this way
And I've got to say that I just don't get it
I don't know where we went wrong
But the feeling's gone
And I just can't get it back

You used to call me on my cell phone
Late night when you need my love
Call me on my cell phone
Late night when you need my love
I know when that hotline bling
That can only mean one thing
I know when that hotline bling
That can only mean one thing

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/d/drakelyrics/hotlineblinglyrics.html

I'd almost be a little sad to see Jack White do Missing Pieces with a bunch of unironic cheerleaders cheer-dancing around him.

the year is 2035.  rutgers and dbates are chatting via holograph

rutgers: dbates did you see that tv on the radio announced their farewell tour ?

dbates: oh man that will be so epic

rutgers: are you taking your kids ?

dbates: you think I would let them miss halfway home live ?  are you serious ? these are the memories that last a lifetime

676_zpssxwys7us.gif

Funny you mention that.  I have always done exactly that.  The result is I have actually turned my kids on to some pretty solid new music,  Jack White is simply tremendous and that I have you to thank for.  Boroguy got me to listen to T-Rex again and I think they are on all my playlist.  Lately you and CTM talking about the Bassist from Primus and I been listening to his stuff as well.  So damn good. 

Archived