Fitz/Geno/Sanchez Average Game Comparison

jgb

(Fitz's "Average" Game in 2015) (Geno's "Average" Game in 2014) (Sanchez's "Average" Game in 2010)

PASS YDs (238) (180.3) (205.7)

PASS YDs/ATT (7.0) (6.9) (6.5)

PASS TDs (1.83) (0.93) (1.06)

INTs (0.92) (0.93) (0.81)

RUSH YDs (17) (17) (6.5)

RUSH YDs/ATT (4.4) (4.0) (3.5)

RUSH TDs (0.17) (0.07) (0.19)

SACK (1.17) (2.0) (1.69)

FUM (0.33) (0.57) (0.56)

FUM LOST (0.08) (0.21) (0.06)

it's not fair since all played in different offenses w/ different weapons.  why can't we just enjoy how well Fitz has played?  he's been outstanding, I was dead wrong about him and happy to admit that.  He has been outstanding.

Agree so was I wrong about Fitz,great post. 

it's not fair since all played in different offenses w/ different weapons.  why can't we just enjoy how well Fitz has played?  he's been outstanding, I was dead wrong about him and happy to admit that.  He has been outstanding.

I am enjoying it. Probably even more than you are. Ps there is no crying in baseball or fairness in football. GMs and coaches have to try to compare different players in different schemes, teams, different supporting casts, different leagues (NCAA) all the time. Welcome to life where you don't always get to measure everything in exactly same conditions. 

I am enjoying it. Probably even more than you are. Ps there is no crying in baseball or fairness in football. GMs and coaches have to try to compare different players in different schemes, teams, different supporting casts, different leagues (NCAA) all the time. Welcome to life where you don't always get to measure everything in exactly same conditions. 

yeah welcome to life bitch

I think most of us were a little skeptical thinking back to the games with the Bills and how bad he was at the end of games. It looks like most of us were wrong and at worst we have meaningful games in December again. Last year we were out by Halloween

Your missing a very important stat, dropped interceptions. I have seen this harped on many times when analyzing QB's.

You also don't factor dropped TD's and dropped first downs. How many of those have we seen in the last few games alone. 

You also don't factor dropped TD's and dropped first downs. How many of those have we seen in the last few games alone. 

I was joking, one of our most knowledgeable posters likes to cherry pick anything he can to try to protect his opinions and back up his agenda. He happens to use the dropped int a lot, and has gone so far as to analyze how many dropped int's our QB's have vs. other QB's in the league. yet amazingly when dropped TD passes are brought up for our QB, he dismisses that and chalks that up to, every team has those. Its what I like to call agenda driven analysis.

You can harp on weapons or lack there of all you want, the bottom line is there's probably a lot of QB's that may have been good if they had weapons, or a decent OL.  There's also a matter of when the numbers are being put up.  Ryan Tannehill is having a decent year if you look solely at his stats.  Problem is he plays most of a game like pure garbage and then pads the stats when the team is being blown out and the opponent is loosening up.  All that is good and well but nobody looks back  and says man David Carr could have been Joe Montana if only he had Jerry Rice and an all world OL.  Them's the breaks. 

The bottom line is the feeling you have when the QB has the ball.  Fitz has a level of command where you feel like he can get it done, and the chances of him doing something wildly stupid is low.  Geno never gave the feeling that he could get it done, and the chances of him doing something wildly stupid was very high.  Sanchez also felt like he could get it done, if only he doesn't commit the wildly stupid decision he was so prone to making.  That's the biggest difference between the 3 guys. 

The bottom line is the feeling you have when the QB has the ball.  Fitz has a level of command where you feel like he can get it done, and the chances of him doing something wildly stupid is low.  Geno never gave the feeling that he could get it done, and the chances of him doing something wildly stupid was very high.  

BINGO!!

QBs are always going to be somewhat a product of the offense around them (Brady perhaps being an exception).  When Mangold isn't in, Fitzpatrick looks like crap.  Without Marshall and Ivory, he's not going to look as good either.  But as Snell said, even with those weapons, Geno looks lost and inevitably blows himself and the team up.  For an 'elder statesman' at the position, Fitz has shown incredible moxie, good instincts on when to run (not so much on when to slide though) and has made a lot less mistakes than our last two starters.  He misses throws but generally the ball hits the ground on those misses which is far better than at least one of the other options.

While I agree with this sentiment, looking at yesterday's game for a minute, in the 1st half Fitz was clearly bothered and thrown off by the Giants pass rush. Gailey and the Coaching staff made obvious adjustments to account for that scenario(screens , sliding more protection). The offensive coaching staffs have to be be factored in to any comparision of stats.

While I agree with this sentiment, looking at yesterday's game for a minute, in the 1st half Fitz was clearly bothered and thrown off by the Giants pass rush. Gailey and the Coaching staff made obvious adjustments to account for that scenario(screens , sliding more protection). The offensive coaching staffs have to be be factored in to any comparision of stats.

Yes, and those adjustments are highly underrated.  Fitz was getting abused first half, it's not that the Giants petered out, Gailey made some great adjustment calls.  Gailey deserves a lot of credit for that.  With that said though we were still not doing much up to that point, and again the Jets history has the be factored in that decision. 

Just realized the quote you quoted was not what I thought, hence the comment about Coughlin's decision.  Sorry this is a totally different thread even.  Wait, where am I? 

How about 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives (career)?

geno: 3 & 7

fitz: 8 & 10

Sanchez: 10 & 12

what can you infer from this? That Sanchez was asked to do more than fitz, or does he simply have much more ability to win games in crunch time?

You can infer that Geno is really impressive.  He put up these numbers in less than 2 seasons.  

Fitz in 11 and Sanchez in 6.

In otherwords, it means little on the surface

You can infer that Geno is really impressive.  He put up these numbers in less than 2 seasons.  

Fitz in 11 and Sanchez in 6.

In otherwords, it means little on the surface

I actually prefer looking at the situational statistics a lot of the time since it gives us a look at what the QB was being asked to do, since nothing is really apples to apples anyway

I actually prefer looking at the situational statistics a lot of the time since it gives us a look at what the QB was being asked to do, since nothing is really apples to apples anyway

I get that and with some numbers do the same, but I never put too much into these comeback numbers.

If QB 1 plays a clean game, is leading the whole game, every game he never has a comeback win.  A QB also benefits from things that happen outside of his play.  So while its an interesting conversation it tells me little about how he's playing.  

How about 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives (career)?

geno: 3 & 7

fitz: 8 & 10

Sanchez: 10 & 12

what can you infer from this? That Sanchez was asked to do more than fitz, or does he simply have much more ability to win games in crunch time?

or is he more likely to start flat and dig a hole that needs climbing out of?

it is completely anecdotal but my God those Schottenheimer offenses ALWAYS seemed to come out of the gate like a pug at the greyhound track.

or is he more likely to start flat and dig a hole that needs climbing out of?

it is completely anecdotal but my God those Schottenheimer offenses ALWAYS seemed to come out of the gate like a pug at the greyhound track.

true-- those shotty offenses were maddening to watch. the jets only chance to score early in games was if they returned a kick or something. the classic 3 and out, run up the middle for 2 yards, run up the middle for 2 yards, short pass incomplete, punt, repeat

Archived