Bobby April needs to go

Jetfan13

Our special teams are atrocious. Every time we kick a ball I hold my breath till the play is over. This guy plain sucks. Westoff is looking pretty good and spry on Jets Post Game, throw the guy a big offer and see if he is interested in the job. If not, April stills needs to be gone next year.

Not sure Bowles should not take some blame. He seemed to keep players without regard to ST skill, so the cupboard is pretty bare. I Suspect Bowles is Learning That is A mistake 

What are some examples of what you mean by this? Who did he let go vs. who he kept that aren't contributing to specials? The poor STs lie in Idzik and Rex's wake of poor drafting.

I honestly have never seen a team worse at covering kicks and blocking for punts.  

For example; the punt where we jumped offsides and ruined great field position.  They werent even trying to block the kick but jumped offsides.  Then, they get another shot at it. Elect not go for the block and instead play to try and give Decker some room and they still cant hold blocks to give him any room. Result is another fair catch, 15 yards further back then the original kick.  It's atrocious!!!

I know everyone knocks Kerley but the result is no different when Deck is back there.  The coverage on punts is hands down the worst I've ever seen.  There is always 2-3 guys breaking free on punts.  Every single time. 

As long as Quigley goes with him and Kerley is taken off pr duties.

I could live with Quigley.  No he's not awesome, but a good coach can work with him.  What I can't live with is a coach who just seemed totally like a deer in headlights when the Giants put OBJ with Harris back there to field punts.  Look man, that's not rocket science at all.  We should be fully prepared for that, and they just weren't.  You could tell when 3 guys started heading OBJ's way when the ball wasn't even near him.  There's also way too much turnover on roles.  I get it, you want to find the best players overall, but at some point you have to let a unit gel.  Besides Kerley I think we've used everyone as a PR.  On Kick returns sometimes it's Cro, sometimes it was Stacy (before injury), sometimes it's Powell...  Same goes for gunners, blockers etc..  He's still churning the roster 11 games into the season which while that possibly tells me guys just aren't cutting it, what it really tells me is the coach is not capable of spotting the right talent to make it work.  Look if a player isn't cutting it at his role I get you want to find better.  But going to someone different, then going back to the original guy, then back to someone else, then back to the original, then back to the second guy...on and on.  That just doesn't work.  What that tells me is the coach has no idea what he's looking for in a player, and he has no clue how to develop a player into what he is looking for (if he actually knew what he was looking for).

I think it's a testament to the lack of depth on the roster right now. It's going to take another offseason to build it up. 

I don't buy that.  Special Teams has always been about taking the least talented guys on the team and making it work.  That's the art of it.  Look man our backups have athleticism and talent.  There's nothing lacking there vs any other team in the league.  It's about coaching them up to understand the disciplines of their role.  Our special teams woes is straight up a coaching problem. 

Special teams is accountable for at least 2 losses this season. The losses to Philly and Buffalo. I also believe S/T's played a role in the other losses, but not as significant. 

Sure would be nice to get those games back.

We'd be 1 game back from the Patriots. We'd have 9 wins with 4 games left to play. Think about where we'd headed as a team... We have won more than 10 games only once since 1998. Dan Quinn, who inherited a better QB situation in Atlanta, is melting down. While Bowles and company have made chicken salad here in NYC.

Westhoff's last few seasons were just as miserable as this season. Draft better, stay healthy and the STs problems will go away.

his last season was, we were probably worse than we are now but we had no talent on that team(very little).  Westhoff w/ this group would have us near the top in STs play but he's not coming back.

I don't buy that.  Special Teams has always been about taking the least talented guys on the team and making it work.  That's the art of it.  Look man our backups have athleticism and talent.  There's nothing lacking there vs any other team in the league.  It's about coaching them up to understand the disciplines of their role.  Our special teams woes is straight up a coaching problem. 

You get your special teamers from late round picks and free agency. Jets have a few positions that are deep - but overall the last few drafts have killed the depth of this team.

I could live with Quigley.  No he's not awesome, but a good coach can work with him.  What I can't live with is a coach who just seemed totally like a deer in headlights when the Giants put OBJ with Harris back there to field punts.  Look man, that's not rocket science at all.  We should be fully prepared for that, and they just weren't.  You could tell when 3 guys started heading OBJ's way when the ball wasn't even near him.  There's also way too much turnover on roles.  I get it, you want to find the best players overall, but at some point you have to let a unit gel.  Besides Kerley I think we've used everyone as a PR.  On Kick returns sometimes it's Cro, sometimes it was Stacy (before injury), sometimes it's Powell...  Same goes for gunners, blockers etc..  He's still churning the roster 11 games into the season which while that possibly tells me guys just aren't cutting it, what it really tells me is the coach is not capable of spotting the right talent to make it work.  Look if a player isn't cutting it at his role I get you want to find better.  But going to someone different, then going back to the original guy, then back to someone else, then back to the original, then back to the second guy...on and on.  That just doesn't work.  What that tells me is the coach has no idea what he's looking for in a player, and he has no clue how to develop a player into what he is looking for (if he actually knew what he was looking for).

Excellent post!

The only special teams players worth anything are Walls, Henderson and Lattimore. That's it.

And that's a problem because all three are seeing more time on defense, which usually takes away from STs reps. Reilly has made a few nice plays. Devin Smith seems to get where he needs to be but can't make the play. Milliner and McDougle can't even be found on the field on STs. If they want more defensive reps, show out on specials.

Archived