Our playoff scenarios from the experts

Jetup

Pay no attention to those playoff standings that say the Jets would make the playoffs if the playoffs started today. They would make the playoffs if they started today but they don't start today, so ignore the current standings.

The standings you're looking at have the Jets in the sixth, and final, playoff spot in the AFC which would, understandably, cause some of you to think the Jets control their own destiny but in fact they do not. It's actually the Chiefs (currently the fifth seed) and the Steelers (currently the non-existent seventh seed) who control their own destiny.

Obviously this sounds confusing, so let's break it down.

All three teams have records of 8-5, since the Jets didn't play either of the Steelers or Chiefs the head-to-head loss the Steelers had to the Chiefs would be irrelevant if all three teams finish with the same record, and if they all finish with the same record the first tiebreaker would be conference record. The Chiefs are currently 7-2 against AFC opponents, the Jets are 6-4 in conference and the Steelers are 5-4. Because the Steelers have one less conference win the current standings show that the Jets would be in the playoffs over the Steelers but the Jets only have two games left against AFC opponents while the Steelers and Chiefs have three.

This means if all three teams win out the Chiefs would get the fifth seed with a 10-2 conference record and the Jets and Steelers would be tied with records of 8-4. Which takes us to the next tiebreaker, win percentage against common opponents, and unfortunately for the Jets the Steelers would win this tiebreaker.

In order for this tiebreaker to come into play the two teams must have faced at least four common opponents and that's exactly how many the Jets and Steelers have faced. Both teams have played the Patriots, Raiders, Browns and Colts but the Jets lost to the Patriots and Raiders while the Steelers only lost to the Patriots. This would give the Steelers the final playoff spot and leave the Jets and their fans fuming that teams from the AFC South and NFC East will have a losing record yet, not only, make the playoffs but also host a home game in the playoffs while the Jets get left out at 11-5 or 10-6.

There are many, convoluted, ways the Jets can make the playoffs but the simplest way to look at it is the Jets need to win their final three games and get a little bit of help or they could make it in with one more loss but they would need a ton of things to fall their way. 

If the Jets win out all they need is for either the Steelers or the Chiefs to lose one game. The Steelers have a tough matchup against the Broncos next week but then have two favorable matchups against the Browns and the Ravens (so Jets fans will be temporary Broncos fans next week unless you want to root for the Broncos to lose all of their remaining games and finish 10-6, same would go for the Bengals too. See, convoluted) and the Chiefs finish against the Ravens, Browns and Raiders. Again the Ravens and Browns are favorable matchups for the Chiefs, so the best chance for a Chiefs loss would come against the Raiders.

There is, however, one simple scenario where the Jets could lose one of their last three games and still get in but that would involve the Jets losing to the Cowboys and beating the Patriots and Bills. If the Steelers were to lose any of their last three games, since they are all against AFC opponents, it would give them five losses within the conference and if the Jets beat the Patriots and Bills they would only have four conference losses and would then get in. Of course it would obviously be better for the Jets to win out and just hope the Steelers and/or Chiefs just lose one measly game.

The loss of Andy Dalton for the Bengals opens up the door for the Steelers to win the AFC North but in that scenario the Bengals would need to lose out and they would also hold tiebreakers over the Jets, if the Jets also lose one more game and they finish with the same record, based on record against common opponents (they each played the Raiders, Bills, Browns and Texans with the Bengals goin 4-1 and the Jets 1-3). And with the Broncos losing yesterday there's one other scenario where the Jets could get in and that would involve the Chiefs winning out and winning the AFC West and the Broncos either losing their last three games to finish 10-6 or losing two of their last three and finishing 11-5.

The Jets and Broncos would have the same overall record in this scenario but the Jets would win the conference record tiebreaker. The Broncos are currently 6-3 in conference with all three remaining games in conference, if they lost two of them they would finish with a conference record of 7-5 and if the Jets beat the Patriots and Bills they would have a conference record of 8-4. And just so you know what we're talking about here, the Broncos last three games are against the Steelers, Bengals (no Dalton remember) and the Chargers.

So, basically it's all a giant jumbled mess. There are a few different ways things could break for the Jets to get in but everything could also break in a way where the Jets could win out, finishing the season on a six-game win streak and 11-5 and still miss the playoffs. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets are not playoff bound.  Get used to it.  It will be easier to stomach when they win 10 games and are watching a 7-9 AFCS team get blown out in the first round by the Chiefs in their own stadium.

If Giants make the playoffs and the Jets do not- I think I will go and cry

The Jets are not playoff bound.  Get used to it.  It will be easier to stomach when they win 10 games and are watching a 7-9 AFCS team get blown out in the first round by the Chiefs in their own stadium.

I already made my peace with it. It ain't happening. We aren't winning out and dropping at least one and in that case, KC or Pitt ain't losing twice. It is OK though. I liked what I saw from this team. If they told me 10-6 before the season, I would have signed up. 

With Bowles and Mac future looks bright. That's what matters. If those 2 guys are really what they look like they are then we will make the playoffs regularly in the next 15-20 years anyway. 

Yeah if the Giants weasel their way in and we are on the outside looking in that will definitely piss me off.  With that said, we need to win every game and hope for the best.

I already made my peace with it. It ain't happening. We aren't winning out and dropping at least one and in that case, KC or Pitt ain't losing twice. It is OK though. I liked what I saw from this team. If they told me 10-6 before the season, I would have signed up. 

With Bowles and Mac future looks bright. That's what matters. If those 2 guys are really what they look like they are then we will make the playoffs regularly in the next 15-20 years anyway. 

Honestly, in a way, they passed the SOJ test by crushing the Titans. I don't think they make it either, so I would like to watch these next three without much pressure. 

Honestly, in a way, they passed the SOJ test by crushing the Titans. I don't think they make it either, so I would like to watch these next three without much pressure. 

SOJ dies when Parcells took over but in regards to your point in 2011 we crushed a bad KC team at home to get to 8-5 and then we collapsed.  we were basically in the same spot(even playing on the road at a disappointing NFC east team the next game).

the last 2 teams to get in at 7-9 were the seahawks and the panthers.  Both of those teams won their opening round playoff game against a team w a better record.

The best would be if the team in my back yard hosts a playoff game at 7-9 and the Jets miss at 10-6 or 11-5.  I might be suicidal that week.  

The remedy to all this would be to just stay in El Salvador and never return when I head down there in 2 weeks.

I hear ya, it just stings starting 4-1 with the losses they suffered - Bills, Texans, Raiders, Eagles - ugh.  They all suck and it just took 1 win from one of those bums.

I just dont see us losing once we beat Dallas. The momentum will be to strong to lose to the Pats.....then the Bills will be destroyed. I just really believe it, i dont know what it is.

Drugs.

the last 2 teams to get in at 7-9 were the seahawks and the panthers.  Both of those teams won their opening round playoff game against a team w a better record.

This is true.  I dont see it this year because the AFCS is bad but you're are spitting the truth.

SOJ dies when Parcells took over but in regards to your point in 2011 we crushed a bad KC team at home to get to 8-5 and then we collapsed.  we were basically in the same spot(even playing on the road at a disappointing NFC east team the next game).

I just look at the stats and the eye. This Jets team just looks better than that team.

Through 16 games, the 2011 Jets gave up 363 points.

Through 13 games the 2015 Jets have given up 256 points.

107 point difference with 3 games to go

I just look at the stats and the eye. This Jets team just looks better than that team.

This is one of those years where you wished the NFL had the same process to select the playoffs as the NCAA.  lol

No way the Jets would be left out for an AFCS team.

I'm with you but we have to remember back to that time.  we were coming off back to back title games, we had won 3 straight to get to 8-5 w/ a blowout of KC at home.  we were feeling pretty good going into those last 3.  I am NOT saying we'll do what that team did just saying we were feeling good going into it.  I believe this team is going to win.

Yeah if the Giants weasel their way in and we are on the outside looking in that will definitely piss me off.  With that said, we need to win every game and hope for the best.

I heard a scenario in which the Giants can lose their next two games and still have a shot at the division on the last game of the year.  Incredible.

Anything can happen over the next 3 weeks,

img19986664.jpg

I just dont see us losing once we beat Dallas. The momentum will be to strong to lose to the Pats.....then the Bills will be destroyed. I just really believe it, i dont know what it is.

Why?

The Jets haven't beaten the Pats in over 3 years and haven't beaten the Bills in over 2 years.

The Jets have already lost to both the Pats and Bills this year.

Other than delusional homerism, what possibly makes you think the Jets can beat those 2 teams?

Why?

The Jets haven't beaten the Pats in over 3 years and haven't beaten the Bills in over 2 years.

Other than delusional homerism, what possibly makes you think the Jets can beat those 2 teams?

we beat the Pats 2 years ago, we are only on a 3 game losing streak against NE

so b/c we lost to both teams earlier this year means we cannot beat them now? how did you guys ever beat the rams in that 1st SB?

Why?

Jets lost by 7 the 1st game on the road, with Pryor out for half the game.  It is entirely plausible to think they can win this time around at home with Brady having to work on a silent count unable to audible as well.  Pats* defense also sounds very banged up right now.

Why?

Because we are the MOTHER ******* JETS!!  That's why!!!

The most likely scenario is the Jets lose one game finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs. Big blow to those saying only worry about yourself not what other teams do. Win 5 out of their last 6 games finish 10-6 on the outside looking in. INFURIATING!!! and the most likely scenario.

Pay no attention to those playoff standings that say the Jets would make the playoffs if the playoffs started today. They would make the playoffs if they started today but they don't start today, so ignore the current standings.

The standings you're looking at have the Jets in the sixth, and final, playoff spot in the AFC which would, understandably, cause some of you to think the Jets control their own destiny but in fact they do not. It's actually the Chiefs (currently the fifth seed) and the Steelers (currently the non-existent seventh seed) who control their own destiny.

Obviously this sounds confusing, so let's break it down.

All three teams have records of 8-5, since the Jets didn't play either of the Steelers or Chiefs the head-to-head loss the Steelers had to the Chiefs would be irrelevant if all three teams finish with the same record, and if they all finish with the same record the first tiebreaker would be conference record. The Chiefs are currently 7-2 against AFC opponents, the Jets are 6-4 in conference and the Steelers are 5-4. Because the Steelers have one less conference win the current standings show that the Jets would be in the playoffs over the Steelers but the Jets only have two games left against AFC opponents while the Steelers and Chiefs have three.

This means if all three teams win out the Chiefs would get the fifth seed with a 10-2 conference record and the Jets and Steelers would be tied with records of 8-4. Which takes us to the next tiebreaker, win percentage against common opponents, and unfortunately for the Jets the Steelers would win this tiebreaker.

In order for this tiebreaker to come into play the two teams must have faced at least four common opponents and that's exactly how many the Jets and Steelers have faced. Both teams have played the Patriots, Raiders, Browns and Colts but the Jets lost to the Patriots and Raiders while the Steelers only lost to the Patriots. This would give the Steelers the final playoff spot and leave the Jets and their fans fuming that teams from the AFC South and NFC East will have a losing record yet, not only, make the playoffs but also host a home game in the playoffs while the Jets get left out at 11-5 or 10-6.

There are many, convoluted, ways the Jets can make the playoffs but the simplest way to look at it is the Jets need to win their final three games and get a little bit of help or they could make it in with one more loss but they would need a ton of things to fall their way. 

If the Jets win out all they need is for either the Steelers or the Chiefs to lose one game. The Steelers have a tough matchup against the Broncos next week but then have two favorable matchups against the Browns and the Ravens (so Jets fans will be temporary Broncos fans next week unless you want to root for the Broncos to lose all of their remaining games and finish 10-6, same would go for the Bengals too. See, convoluted) and the Chiefs finish against the Ravens, Browns and Raiders. Again the Ravens and Browns are favorable matchups for the Chiefs, so the best chance for a Chiefs loss would come against the Raiders.

There is, however, one simple scenario where the Jets could lose one of their last three games and still get in but that would involve the Jets losing to the Cowboys and beating the Patriots and Bills. If the Steelers were to lose any of their last three games, since they are all against AFC opponents, it would give them five losses within the conference and if the Jets beat the Patriots and Bills they would only have four conference losses and would then get in. Of course it would obviously be better for the Jets to win out and just hope the Steelers and/or Chiefs just lose one measly game.

The loss of Andy Dalton for the Bengals opens up the door for the Steelers to win the AFC North but in that scenario the Bengals would need to lose out and they would also hold tiebreakers over the Jets, if the Jets also lose one more game and they finish with the same record, based on record against common opponents (they each played the Raiders, Bills, Browns and Texans with the Bengals goin 4-1 and the Jets 1-3). And with the Broncos losing yesterday there's one other scenario where the Jets could get in and that would involve the Chiefs winning out and winning the AFC West and the Broncos either losing their last three games to finish 10-6 or losing two of their last three and finishing 11-5.

The Jets and Broncos would have the same overall record in this scenario but the Jets would win the conference record tiebreaker. The Broncos are currently 6-3 in conference with all three remaining games in conference, if they lost two of them they would finish with a conference record of 7-5 and if the Jets beat the Patriots and Bills they would have a conference record of 8-4. And just so you know what we're talking about here, the Broncos last three games are against the Steelers, Bengals (no Dalton remember) and the Chargers.

So, basically it's all a giant jumbled mess. There are a few different ways things could break for the Jets to get in but everything could also break in a way where the Jets could win out, finishing the season on a six-game win streak and 11-5 and still miss the playoffs. 

While it is accurate to say that the Jets do not control their own destiny, I would be surprised if both the Broncos and the Chiefs went 3-0.

I don't know why you guys are even giving this discussion the time of day, to be honest.

It's pretty simple. If the Jets are playoff bound (or are to have any semblance of a meaningful appearance) then we beat NE next week. Short of a climatic last second loss, who the fck cares? We squeak and get pounded by NE again? Or DEN? or whomever else? Waste of time and draft spot selection.

All will be revealed next week. Till then, sit on it. 

Why?

You used to be a much better troll my friend.

Through 16 games, the 2011 Jets gave up 363 points.

Through 13 games the 2015 Jets have given up 256 points.

107 point difference with 3 games to go

we gave up 363 in 16 games not 13 in 2011.  Actual pts allowed(removing O/STs scores allowed) our D allowed 228 pts.

actual pts allowed this year our D has allowed 228 pts

exactly the same after 13 games

Taking the Jets out of it, I have never liked the common opponent tiebreaker if you are factoring in divisional teams.  If one team plays a common opponent twice while the other plays them once, how is this remotely equivalent?  Blah blah blah, win your games, yeah I know, but it is simply not a fair way to decide it. 

Archived