Great Article on Fitz and Petty

JetBlue

I bet Geno Smith looks at Fitz and Petty and wonders what might have been, if he had been allowed to sit and watch for a season or two.  Oh well.....  

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s career revival has spread yuletide cheer and positioned the Jets to make a serious run to the postseason. He has stabilized a historically unstable position and given the new regime time to answer the most maddening question of all: How do we find a franchise quarterback?

Patience is a four-letter word in a business where job security is a myth. Turnover is rampant. Golden parachutes don’t exist.

Fitzpatrick, on pace to set a franchise record for touchdown passes this season, has been the elixir.

Todd Bowles’ admission to the Daily News last week that he “definitely” wants to re-sign Fitzpatrick for 2016 was the latest evidence of his impact. The Jets should give the 33-year-old a multi-year contract extension for three very important reasons:

1) He’s injected a winning mindset by playing better than at any time in his 11-year career.

2) There are plenty of quarterback-needy teams currently slotted ahead of the Jets in the 2016 draft.

3) He can buy more time for Bryce Petty to develop.

“Guys find homes at different places at different times in their careers,” Bowles said of Fitzpatrick on Tuesday. “And it’s his time.”

BRANDON MARSHALL'S PLAYFUL XMAS GIFT FOR RYAN FITZPATRICK

The Fitzpatrick lovefest in the tristate area has reached Kumbaya levels for good reason. He has been the unquestioned leader in his first season with the Jets.

“He can make you feel like you want to play hard for him,” Bowles said. “He just has that persona and personality around the team that everybody gravitates toward.”

Bowles has yet to discuss his desire to bring back Fitzpatrick for next season with general manager Mike Maccagnan, but there’s little doubt the head coach will get what he wants. It makes perfect sense to re-sign Fitzpatrick.

The free-agent quarterback market stinks to high heaven. (Sam Bradford? Please.)

Maccagnan and Co. aren’t exactly positioned to make a run at a blue-chip signal caller in the upcoming draft, either. Is there a slam-dunk quarterback out there, anyway?

Jets backup QB Bryce Petty (r.) knows that Ryan Fitzpatrick (l.) can make learning a snap.FRANK FRANKLIN II/AP

Jets backup QB Bryce Petty (r.) knows that Ryan Fitzpatrick (l.) can make learning a snap.

MEHTA: JETS BETTER HOPE SIMILARITIES WITH 2011 TEAM END SOON

The Jets would have the No. 21 pick in the first round if the season ended today. The Browns, 49ers, Cowboys, Rams, Saints, Eagles and Texans — who could all use a quarterback — have worse records.

Michigan State’s Connor Cook and juniors Paxton Lynch (Memphis), Jared Goff (Cal) and Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) are four intriguing prospects in the upcoming draft, but there’s no guarantee that any of them would be able to make a meaningful contribution right away.

At the very least, the Jets will take a developmental quarterback at some point in the draft. Fitzpatrick’s quality play has given them more time to evaluate Petty, who’s transitioning from a college spread system.

“This is an opportunity for me to get everything I can out of what’s going on at my pace,” Petty told The News. “Not being thrown into the fire is a blessing.”

Petty has the requisite skill set to make it if he’s not rushed. His arm is obviously good. Fitzpatrick has served a personal mentor/tutor to help the rookie better understand the NFL game.

“For young guys, there’s so much pressure right away,” Fitzpatrick told The News. “It’s not an easy position. You have all these guys who are losing their opportunities to play because they didn’t succeed right away when they were young. They had no chance. Even though they were playing, they had no chance to grow and no chance to be successful because of everyone around them.”

FOLLOW THE DAILY NEWS SPORTS ON FACEBOOK. "LIKE" US HERE.

Fitzpatrick’s success has had a two-pronged effect. He’s helping the team in the present and giving it more time to cultivate player(s) who could be their future. Fitzpatrick still has enough left in him to be considered more than a one-year placeholder. Petty is willing to learn and wait.

“When you go there and you’re not successful, your confidence is shot,” Petty said. “This game is, ‘What are you doing for me now?’ If you’re not successful, they’re going to look for someone else who can be. Part of the blessing is getting ample opportunity to learn all I can, and then say, ‘Okay, I’ve learned as much as I can and now it’s time to put it all to work.’”

The Jets are cautiously optimistic about Petty, fully aware that he could crash and burn if they accelerate his development too much. They want to take their time. They want to do it right. In their perfect world, Petty would get the Brock Osweiler treatment of learning behind a productive veteran for a few years.

“There’s going to come a day when the training wheels have to come off and he’s going to have to go out there and do it,” Fitzpatrick said.

Thanks to Fitzmagic, that time isn’t now.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-fitzpatrick-resurgence-helping-jets-develop-petty-article-1.2467184

“When you go there and you’re not successful, your confidence is shot,” Petty said. “This game is, ‘What are you doing for me now?’ If you’re not successful, they’re going to look for someone else who can be. Part of the blessing is getting ample opportunity to learn all I can, and then say, ‘Okay, I’ve learned as much as I can and now it’s time to put it all to work.’”

This guy gets it!

Looking at 2016, based on things today, I see a team that could compete for a playoff spot.  They are not rebuilding.  Geno can be a backup.   They would need to look at another developmental qb as a 4th.   Geno can walk in 2017.   

Contracts get restructured and money reallocated.  Draft bpa down the line.  

This guy gets it!

Exactly!  Here is to Petty becoming that Franchise QB we have been waiting for since... well since forever. 

Looking at 2016, based on things today, I see a team that could compete for a playoff spot.  They are not rebuilding.  Geno can be a backup.   They would need to look at another developmental qb as a 4th.   Geno can walk in 2017.   

Contracts get restructured and money reallocated.  Draft bpa down the line.  

That would probably be the logical thing to do.  Don't think it's going to happen though.  Think he's done here

Don't forget about Chan Gailey. It's time this organization kept some momentum, created a SYSTEM, and nurtured that system by drafting players that not only are BPA but fit what they are trying to do. 

What's really exciting is imagining this team in year 2 of Fitzy, Marshall, Decker, Ivory, Powell, Enunwa, all of the same coaches, and another complete draft class & free agency period. Usually superstar free agents just go for the dough, but when you get to the B tier of FAs, money is usually equal which means they prefer to go to teams with stability at QB, with the coaches & a chance for the playoffs. The NY Jets are one of those teams now. If the Jets solidify their special teams next year they are clearly in the top 10. It's going to be very interesting to see how they handle the Dline. Even though I think Sheldon is a better player than Mo Wilk, I think Mac will dangle Sheldon for a trade & resign Mo. 

It reminds me of when the Browns had a chance to trade Josh Gordon & didn't do it. Learn from others mistakes. Drafting Leo makes Sheldon expendable especially if they could get a #1 for him. Sounds crazy but teams do crazy sh*t in this league! Dallas? Jerry Jones could be thinking Hardy, Richardson, Gregory? That's a bad azz Dline to wreak havoc in the NFC East.

Might put them in a position to get another young QB. In Mac I trust, I think it's going to be an interesting offseason.

Geno is a distraction, I don't see him on the 2016 Jets.  I'm more shocked about a positive article by Manish.

Absolutely correct.

I would not be surprised if Geno gets cut or traded this off-season and re-signing Fitz-magic is a no-brainer at this point.

In fact, I'd be o.k. with re-signing Fitzpatrick to a 4 yr deal.

I like the Jets see what free agent QB's before giving him a 4 year deal 

I don't necessarily think it's about who will be available - sometimes its just about how a player, especially a QB, fits with a team.

Fitzpatrick is a very good fit for the Jets.

He is a saavy veteran with experience who is humble.

He is smart and mature enough to handle the media and the different player's personalities.

He has earned the trust of locker room and the players seem to believe in him and Todd Bowles obviously loves him from what I have read - as does Chan Gailey.

He has plenty of experience in this offense & he is also the perfect mentor for Bryce Petty.

Fitzpatrick is a gamer, the guy NEVER quits or sulks when things aren't going well and he will never give up on a play.

Regardless of what free agent QB's may become available this upcoming off-season, very few QB's would be a better fit for this team then Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I don't necessarily think it's about who will be available - sometimes its just about how a player, especially a QB fits with a team.

Fitzpatrick is a very good fit for the Jets.

He is a saavy veteran with experience who is humble.

He is smart and mature enough to handle the media and the different player's personalities.

He has earned the trust of locker room and the players seem to believe in him and Todd Bowles obviously loves him from what I have read - as does Chan Gailey.

He has plenty of experience in this offense & he is also the perfect mentor for Bryce Petty.

Regardless of what free agent QB's may become available this upcoming off-season, very few QB's would be a better fit for this team then Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I want a QB to take the jets to the super bowl and I like Fitz but he is not the man for the job  

I want a QB to take the jets to the super bowl and I like Fitz but he is not the man for the job  

We can agree to disagree.

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is capable of taking this team to a superbowl - and winning one.

I don't know if it will happen this year or not, but, I think Fitzpatrick is capable enough to do it.

If Trent Dilfer & Brad Johnson can do it, I think Ryan Fitzpatrick can too.

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick is capable of taking this team to a superbowl - and winning one.

I don't know if it will happen this year or not, but, I think Fitzpatrick is capable enough to do it.

you watching the games ,the guy can not throw a ball over 30 yards 

different rules bub

you watching the games ,the guy can not throw a ball over 30 yards 

I seem to recall a 54 yd bomb to Brandon Marshall 1st time we played the Dolphins.

I also know that Fitz has thrown quite a few deep balls that have hit receivers in the numbers - or in the hands and were dropped.

Marshall dropped a few deep balls, Enunwa has dropped a couple and so has Devin Smith - prior to his injury of course.

Not Fitzpatrick's fault that the receivers drop the ball.

I seem to recall a 54 yd bomb to Brandon Marshall 1st time we played the Dolphins.

I also know that Fitz has thrown quite a few deep balls that have hit receivers in the numbers - or in the hands and were dropped.

Marshall dropped a few deep balls, Enunwa has dropped a couple and so has Devin Smith - prior to his injury of course.

Not Fitzpatrick's fault that the receivers drop the ball.

Don't waste your time arguing with these guys they have no idea what they are talking about then they make up sh*t to try and prove a point that does not exist .... Can't throw a ball over 30 yards ?? Stop with the petty stupid nonsense

Archived