I would have signed up for this.....

Ken Schroy

If someone would have asked me in July if I would happy to be 9-5 at this point with the Pats and Bills up next, I would have signed up for that in a minute. I know it is possible to miss the playoffs, but I think I am starting to get the feeling things will break our way. We overcame a lot last night. The Refs were horrible and we had several key players out for periods of the game. To not play your best on the road and still win is the sign of a very good team. It felt nice to wake up today and now concentrate on these other games. I do like where we are as a team and more importantly, where we are headed as an organization. Stay positive guys, 9-5 isn't too shabby.

If someone would have asked me in July if I would happy to be 9-5 at this point with the Pats and Bills up next, I would have signed up for that in a minute. I know it is possible to miss the playoffs, but I think I am starting to get the feeling things will break our way. We overcame a lot last night. The Refs were horrible and we had several key players out for periods of the game. To not play your best on the road and still win is the sign of a very good team. It felt nice to wake up today and now concentrate on these other games. I do like where we are as a team and more importantly, where we are headed as an organization. Stay positive guys, 9-5 isn't too shabby.

+1

We haven't been relevant on Christmas for quite awhile.  I will take that every year.

Agree, after week 14, only 6 teams in the league have a better record (assuming Green Bay wins today)

I think a new rule for next season is that teams need a winning record to make the playoffs as a division "winner"

Unfortunately,  you can't do that. What would you do with the playoff berth if there was a division with no winning records?

I think a new rule for next season is that teams need a winning record to make the playoffs as a division "winner"

Why should that be changed?

The rule has been in place since the merger in 1970 and is pretty simple; win your division you make the playoffs with a home playoff game.

Doesn't matter if you are 14-2 or 7-9.

Why should that be changed

The rule has been in place since the merger in 1970 and is pretty simple; win your division you make the playoffs with a home playoff game.

So, we do not have an 11 win team who misses the playoffs, while a 7 win team gets home field

So, we do not have an 11 win team who misses the playoffs, while a 7 win team gets home field

So what?

If an 11 win team can't win their division, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Again, it's pretty simple, win your division and you don't have to worry about anything.

Why should that be changed?

I'm sure you loved it when the 8-8 Chargers got in over the 11-5 Pats back in 08.  ;-)

You cant change the format.  If you did, there would be no point in having divisions.  Just have a conference, no divisions, and the top 6 get in.  But that's lame and hard to do because the tie breakers could be insane.  Much better this way.  Plus, if there is no division play, you basically lose all rivalry type games in the NFL.

I'm very happy with 9-5.  Sucks it could be all for nothing but this season has been a lot of fun and you have to feel good about the direction of the team.  Let Fitz hold the fort till we find a franchise guy (please please please let Mac be the guy to finally do it) and big things could be ahead.  

That said, the last 3 HC's started fast and fizzed out.  Here's to hoping Bowles is different! 

I predicted 10-6 this year and I am holding out hope that I will be wrong.  On a pretty nice end-of-the-year upswing with a credible offense for once?..... I would have signed up for that in a heartbeat.

Now pretty please with sugar on top, let us go into the Pats game with our fate in our own hands next week and I will be a happy camper indeed.

I predicted 10-6 this year and I am holding out hope that I will be wrong.  On a pretty nice end-of-the-year upswing with a credible offense for once?..... I would have signed up for that in a heartbeat.

Now pretty please with sugar on top, let us go into the Pats game with our fate in our own hands next week and I will be a happy camper indeed.

have to agree. Oh how I enjoyed those summer days at Camp Wauwepex.

I don't need the playoffs to be happy this season.

We've gone from a 4-12 Rex Ryan Clown Show to a respectable NFL franchise on it's way up.  Several young players are starting to show strong promise, the spirit of true team chemistry is apparent, our GM is looking great, our HC improves each week, and we found a quarterback to bridge the gap for a few years.  I couldn't have asked for anything more.  9-7 or 11-5, the season is already a success, from here-in is a bonus.

Merry Christmas.

SAR I

We've gone from a 4-12 Rex Ryan Clown Show to a respectable NFL franchise on it's way up.  Several young players are starting to show strong promise, the spirit of true team chemistry is apparent, our GM is looking great, our HC improves each week, and we found a quarterback to bridge the gap for a few years.  I couldn't have asked for anything more.  9-7 or 11-5, the season is already a success, from here-in is a bonus.

Merry Christmas.

SAR I

Far cry from the 4-12 season you predicted. Enjoy

Merry Christmas.

SAR I

Cudos to Mac for putting an NFL caliber secondary and receiving Corp on the field in the same season

Meh.  Considering how weak our schedule has been I'm not sure I'd even have been happy with 14-0.

Simple and antiquated. 

Why is it antiquated?

Since 1970, the NFL has put a premium on division games. Why would that need to be changed?

The only alternative would be just to have the NFC and AFC and the top 6 teams get into the playoffs. Boring.

The NFL is not going down the college route.

Can't complain...I said 10-12 wins and that's still within reach.  Buffalo should be an easy win so this Sunday is the big one.

I don't thin Buff will be easy at all. Rex will treat that like another Super Bowl, and pull out all the stops to win that game. He loses that game and goes 8-8 or worse, he is going to get destroyed down there to no end. That will be a very, very tough game. That team is very talented and their record is not indicative of how much talent is on that team.

Merry Christmas.

SAR I

When SAR I is the voice of reason we are either doing well or we have all just lost our damn minds.  Either way I agree we should be happy with it.

Plus, if there is no division play, you basically lose all rivalry type games in the NFL.

This is a good reason to keep it the same, and 11 win teams have only been left out twice in 50 years so agree it's not "on fire" just hard to think about a double digit winning team missing out

As noted by the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the only previous 11-5 teams to miss the playoffs were the 1985 Broncos and the 2008 Patriots. (Three 11-win teams missed the playoffs in the old days, before the 16-game season and the expanded playoffs. The 1967 Baltimore Colts missed the playoffs at 11-1-2, the 1963 Green Bay Packers missed the playoffs at 11-2-1 and the 1962 Detroit Lions missed the playoffs at 11-3.)

Eighteen 10 win teams have missed the playoffs, this number will increase this year 

http://www.profootballhof.com/news/fact-or-fiction-an-11-5-team-has-missed-the-playoffs/

The system is fine as it is.  Yes, it would suck missing out at 11-5 but it has happened before and will happen again.  In theory, if everything fell right, you could see the 7-9 Giants in the playoffs and the 11-5 Jets out.  That would make for interesting conversation.

This is a good reason to keep it the same, and 11 win teams have only been left out twice in 50 years so agree it's not "on fire" just hard to think about a double digit winning team missing out

As noted by the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the only previous 11-5 teams to miss the playoffs were the 1985 Broncos and the 2008 Patriots. (Three 11-win teams missed the playoffs in the old days, before the 16-game season and the expanded playoffs. The 1967 Baltimore Colts missed the playoffs at 11-1-2, the 1963 Green Bay Packers missed the playoffs at 11-2-1 and the 1962 Detroit Lions missed the playoffs at 11-3.)

Eighteen 10 win teams have missed the playoffs, this number will increase this year 

http://www.profootballhof.com/news/fact-or-fiction-an-11-5-team-has-missed-the-playoffs/

Yep.  Sucks we could be one of those teams but the Jets had their chances.  They had the Pats on the ropes and they lost 2 games at home that they had no business losing (Eagles and Bills).  Not to mention TJ Yates and the Oakland beat down.  1 or 2 of those go the other way and they easily could have and this is a completely different season. Possible division conversations.

Cant scream at the set up.  The Jets had their chances.  

Merry Christmas.

SAR I

While I don't disagree.  Couldn't someone literally have said exactly this in 2009?

I realize I'm asking the wrong person because you thought Sanchez was anything but an abomination, but alas, the point remains.;

Why is it antiquated?

Since 1970, the NFL has put a premium on division games. Why would that need to be changed?

The only alternative would be just to have the NFC and AFC and the top 6 teams get into the playoffs. Boring.

The NFL is not going down the college route.

Not true.  I don't have the answer but just seems dumb some teams in the NFL get an unfair advantage to make the playoffs because some grouping that took place in the 70's.  Everything else in the game have changed but if you are lucky enough to be a team in a division with team that suck every year you can suck and still get in the playoffs.  I would think awarding winning is more important than arbitrary grouping.  That is just me.  "its just the way it is blah blah..."  I get it and it sucks.

Archived