I would have signed up for this.....

Ken Schroy

I don't thin Buff will be easy at all. Rex will treat that like another Super Bowl, and pull out all the stops to win that game. He loses that game and goes 8-8 or worse, he is going to get destroyed down there to no end. That will be a very, very tough game. That team is very talented and their record is not indicative of how much talent is on that team.

I don't think any of that should matter.  Undisciplined group of clowns who lead the NFL in penalties.  HC who can't game plan, adjust, or get a stop on defense when he needs it. No way the Jets lose that game.

Yep.  Sucks we could be one of those teams but the Jets had their chances.  They had the Pats on the ropes and they lost 2 games at home that they had no business losing (Eagles and Bills).  Not to mention TJ Yates and the Oakland beat down.  1 or 2 of those go the other way and they easily could have and this is a completely different season. Possible division conversations.

Cant scream at the set up.  The Jets had their chances.  

The Jets just picked the wrong games to lose this year.

If the Jets lost to the Cowboys and Giants instead of the Pats and Bills, your playoff scenario would be drastically different.

While I don't disagree.  Couldn't someone literally have said exactly this in 2009?

I realize I'm asking the wrong person because you thought Sanchez was anything but an abomination, but alas, the point remains.;

2001, 2006, 2009 - only difference is we probably arent making the playoffs. So maybe that's the key.  haha

Like I said, here's hoping to Bowles is different! 

The Jets just picked the wrong games to lose this year.

If the Jets lost to the Cowboys and Giants instead of the Pats and Bills, your playoff scenario would be drastically different.

Yep.  The 4 of 5 losses being in the AFC will be the killer. 

The fact that only 2 11-5 teams and under 20 10-6 teams have missed the playoffs speaks to the fact that the system is working just fine.  Just sucks when you're one of the anomalies.  There are a handful of losses that hurt us and that we shouldn't have won, but that door swings both ways, and if you take out the bad losses, you have to reevaluate the fortunate wins, which include the Giants.  At the end of the day, this is a team that is improved over last year, but that faced an easy schedule and still has a lot of areas in which it needs improvement.  Hopefully, we continue to take steps forward rather than reverting like we have done after every optimistic improvement.

2001, 2006, 2009 - only difference is we probably arent making the playoffs. So maybe that's the key.  haha

Like I said, here's hoping to Bowles is different! 

My fear is the usual.  We never suck enough and at the right time to add the QB we need to have sustained success.  Colts sucked at the perfect time, Steelers sucked at the perfect time.  I hope we haven't reverted to Tannenbaum ways of spending to keep us just good enough to never really improve.

The fact that only 2 11-5 teams and under 20 10-6 teams have missed the playoffs speaks to the fact that the system is working just fine.  Just sucks when you're one of the anomalies.  There are a handful of losses that hurt us and that we shouldn't have won, but that door swings both ways, and if you take out the bad losses, you have to reevaluate the fortunate wins, which include the Giants.  At the end of the day, this is a team that is improved over last year, but that faced an easy schedule and still has a lot of areas in which it needs improvement.  Hopefully, we continue to take steps forward rather than reverting like we have done after every optimistic improvement.

In 2008 we had a schedule from the 4-12 07 season and went 9-7 in a Brady less year.. And our reject QB Chaddy cakes won the East with the Fins that were 1-15 the year before.. Which means Fitzmagic>>>>>> Favre..:P

Unfortunately,  you can't do that. What would you do with the playoff berth if there was a division with no winning records?

Easy, just eliminate divisions. Two conferences, best 6 in ea h conference qual for playoffs. Keeps 7-9 garbage out of the playoffs with 10-6 teams at home watching....Use the schedule to maintain rivalries etc, but the 4 four team divisions per conference is dumb anyway.

Easy, just eliminate divisions. Two conferences, best 6 in ea h conference qual for playoffs. Keeps 7-9 garbage out of the playoffs with 10-6 teams at home watching....Use the schedule to maintain rivalries etc, but the 4 four team divisions per conference is dumb anyway.

That is ridiculous.

The only teams that this would benefit are teams incapable of winning their division.

The NFL will never eliminate division play.

My fear is the usual.  We never suck enough and at the right time to add the QB we need to have sustained success.  Colts sucked at the perfect time, Steelers sucked at the perfect time.  I hope we haven't reverted to Tannenbaum ways of spending to keep us just good enough to never really improve.

In 2004 Big Ben went right before our pick when we took Vilma with the next pick both the Jets and Pitt were 6-10 in 2003..

I don't need the playoffs to be happy this season.

We've gone from a 4-12 Rex Ryan Clown Show to a respectable NFL franchise on it's way up.  Several young players are starting to show strong promise, the spirit of true team chemistry is apparent, our GM is looking great, our HC improves each week, and we found a quarterback to bridge the gap for a few years.  I couldn't have asked for anything more.  9-7 or 11-5, the season is already a success, from here-in is a bonus.

Merry Christmas.

SAR I

True, but as long as we're gonna be in the thick of this, let's get a wildcard berth and go from there. 

Chiefs up on gold-pants Ravens(?) 14-7 on 2nd quarter.

That is ridiculous.

The only teams that this would benefit are teams incapable of winning their division.

They may void a playoff berth for any division winner who doesn't have a .500 record.Which could happen for both the NFC East and the AFC South. Nobody could argue with that.

They may void a playoff berth for any division winner who doesn't have a .500 record.Which could happen for both the NFC East and the AFC South. Nobody could argue with that.

So you would penalize teams that actually win their division?

Who cares if they win the division with a below .500 record?

That will never happen in the NFL.

Can't complain...I said 10-12 wins and that's still within reach.  Buffalo should be an easy win so this Sunday is the big one.

I don't think there are any more easy wins on the schedule. Sadly, we all know Rex likes to play spoiler at the end of the season. 

It's a possibiiity. It's embarrassing to think a 10 or 11 win team might go home yet the Colts or Texans get in with as few as 7 wins. 

Why should that be changed?

The rule has been in place since the merger in 1970 and is pretty simple; win your division you make the playoffs with a home playoff game.

Doesn't matter if you are 14-2 or 7-9.

So what?

If an 11 win team can't win their division, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Again, it's pretty simple, win your division and you don't have to worry about anything.

Don't have a problem with that at all.

Win the division and that never happens.

All teams know the rules going into each season.

That is ridiculous.

What's embarrassing is that a 10 or 11 win team can't win their division.

No need to eliminate the divisions because of that.

Gee, do the Patriots win their division? 

You are such a troll. 

While I don't disagree.  Couldn't someone literally have said exactly this in 2009?

I realize I'm asking the wrong person because you thought Sanchez was anything but an abomination, but alas, the point remains.;

No, because in preseason 2009 the Jets were a few months removed from a brilliant Brett Favre powered 8-3 record, beat the piss out of the Patriots, beat the 10-0 Titans, things were looking very good on all sides of the ball.

Very different going into the 2015 season after the Rex Ryan disaster(s), no quarterback, new GM, new HC, retread OC, etc.

Being in contention in 2009 after what we'd accomplished with a healthy Favre in 2008 wasn't a shock.  This season is.

SAR I

I don't thin Buff will be easy at all. Rex will treat that like another Super Bowl, and pull out all the stops to win that game. He loses that game and goes 8-8 or worse, he is going to get destroyed down there to no end. That will be a very, very tough game. That team is very talented and their record is not indicative of how much talent is on that team.

The question is...has Rex lost the room? If so, no Bill player will give a hoot. IF and I know it's a big If, we beat the Pats, then half the stadium will be Jets fans.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

If .500 or less wins the division, so be it. It's a meaningless accomplishment anyway. Nobody cares about that.

But if they advance to the playoffs the eliminated better teams and their fans will care.

That is ridiculous.

I mostly agree with TX. Winning division should mean something but... Maybe a middle road is possible. Keep divisions, top 6 get in, but first tie breaker is record against division teams. That way beating rivals still has added value but 7-9 teams won't get in over 11-5 teams. Just a random stall thought...

No, because in preseason 2009 the Jets were a few months removed from a brilliant Brett Favre powered 8-3 record, beat the piss out of the Patriots, beat the 10-0 Titans, things were looking very good on all sides of the ball.

Very different going into the 2015 season after the Rex Ryan disaster(s), no quarterback, new GM, new HC, retread OC, etc.

Being in contention in 2009 after what we'd accomplished with a healthy Favre in 2008 wasn't a shock.  This season is.

SAR I

Lost on a lot of people that after beating the Pats and Titans in 2008, the Jets were rolling -until Favre got hurt in early December. We'll never know how things would've turned out if Favre stays healthy. Was kind of a bizarre situation that we had control freaks Mangini and Schitty doing their thing, and Favre pretty much ignoring them and running what ever the hell he wanted. It was thatclose to working. Probably wasn't sustainable. 

Archived