Devin Funchess - Carolina Patheres

JetBlue

I remember having a debate about whether we should take him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds (he went 41st to Carolina).  I kept being told he was a TE and not a Receiver or a "Hybrid" as if that was bad thing or something (for the record he has played almost exclusively at WR).  When I look at how frail Smith has been, I kinda wish we picked him.  I know he is not tearing up the league but he is having a decent rookie season and I can only imagine having him at 6'5", 230llbs along with Marshall and Decker creating all kinds of match up problems for the defense.   I think when it is all said and done he will be one of the best receivers from this class. 

Oh well, so much water under the bridge now.  I can only hope Smith comes back fully healthy and steps up his game next year.  I still have high hopes for him. 

I remember having a debate about whether we should take him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds (he went 41st to Carolina).  I kept being told he was a TE and not a Receiver or a "Hybrid" as if that was bad thing or something (for the record he has played almost exclusively at WR).  When I look at how frail Smith has been, I kinda wish we picked him.  I know he is not tearing up the league but he is having a decent rookie season and I can only imagine having him at 6'5", 230llbs along with Marshall and Decker creating all kinds of match up problems for the defense.   I think when it is all said and done he will be one of the best receivers from this class. 

Oh well, so much water under the bridge now.  I can only hope Smith comes back fully healthy and steps up his game next year.  I still have high hopes for him. 

I kinda wish we picked only good players too :(

I loved Funchess coming out of college, but the guy I'm wishing we grabbed instead of Smith is Tyler Lockett. He's shredding the competition on kick/punt return plus he's having a nice season as a deep threat.

We just can't draft receivers, if 9 out of 10 are studs, we draft the dud.

I thought at least he was going to be good on special, punt/kick returns.

Guy cost us the Buffalo game. He's a speed guy with an ACL, hands of stone, and terrible route running.

Although he's really good at tracking a deep ball, I presume with a radar gun. I'm about as down on this kid as. Iam with Dee "Elijah Price" Milliner.

You were the guy who jumped down everyone's throat when they said Smith was going to be a bust.

Smith had a few good games at the end of osu career and shot yo draft boards.  He was a bum for 3 1/2 years prior to that.

I still jump down anyone's throat who calls him a bust because it is very short sighted.  The guy missed all of camp and wasn't the greatest route runner coming out of college.  Our OC finally realized that Fitz didn't have the arm strength to consistently hit him deep and started having him running shorter route trees.  He was still helping to open up the underneath for Decker and Marshall and was starting to get comfortable when he got hurt.  Lets have this conversation this time next year.  Many of the same folks were calling Pryor a bust after his first year too.   The bottom line is stupid to call any rookie a bust after their first year.  

Guy cost us the Buffalo game. He's a speed guy with an ACL, hands of stone, and terrible route running.

Although he's really good at tracking a deep ball, I presume with a radar gun. I'm about as down on this kid as. Iam with Dee "Elijah Price" Milliner.

patience_2014_01_31-22.jpg

Don't you folks think the Jets have what you saw in Funchess and DGB in  Enunwa  . The Jets needed a player like Smith much more than they needed another clone of Marshall.  As presently constituted, the Jets have no replacement for Decker on the roster and for the most part, no top end speed . Works great when Fitzpatrick is your starting QB if you ask me. 

been doing a lot more than Devin Smith who now has a torn acl.  Ditto for DGB who doesn't even have a quarterback

Again folks forget that he is a rookie and some expect rookie receivers to dominant which rarely happens.  You can see his talent and ability and he has gotten progressively better.  The guy has a very bright future ahead of him, especially when Benjamin comes back and starts drawing defenders away from him.   DGB is another one that is starting to come on of late.  

Don't you folks think the Jets have what you saw in Funchess and DGB in  Enunwa  . The Jets needed a player like Smith much more than they needed another clone of Marshall.  As presently constituted, the Jets have no replacement for Decker on the roster and for the most part, no top end speed . Works great when Fitzpatrick is your starting QB if you ask me. 

Tin I get why they went with Smith and liked the pick. I just also liked what I saw of Funchess in college and thought he would have been a nice understudy for Marshall to groom and take over in a year or two.  If Enunwa can be that player going forward that I am all for it.  No one could have for seen the injury plagued season that Smith has had.  I was very excited when we drafted him and believe he was just starting to come along before his latest injury.   

I loved Funchess coming out of college, but the guy I'm wishing we grabbed instead of Smith is Tyler Lockett. He's shredding the competition on kick/punt return plus he's having a nice season as a deep threat.

Funny how I thought he was too frail and would get hurt... 

Patriots were evil/immoral/idiotic for ignoring red flags with Aaron Hernandez but Jets should've drafted DGB and Randy Gregory. #Jetsfanlogic

hernandez was a gang member with a history of violence, Gregory smoked weed. Are you high too? Because that comparison makes no sense

hernandez was a gang member with a history of violence, Gregory smoked weed. Are you high too? Because that comparison makes no sense

Hindsight is beautiful. Always a way to justify that which you want while others are imputed with omniscience at the time of their decisions. We call that intellectual dishonesty.

I wouldn't have touched him personally because he hadn't played football for a full year leading up to the draft

Lot of guys have pretty terrible backgrounds. A lot involving gangs. Dez Bryant was said to have had the worst background of any prospect ever. Pats drafted Hernandez and he seemed to buy in and keep out of trouble for most part absent some thuggish behaviour in practice which could probably be seen as young man machismo. Then pats extended him only when they had some significant evidence of his ability to be a contributor. They took a chance on a kid, managed it about as good as can be managed, but he was just a bad seed. Not their fault. I prefer these things to happen occasionally then for kids from crap situations not even get a chance to pursue what let's be honest is the only pathway to success left to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot of guys have pretty terrible backgrounds. A lot involving gangs. Dez Bryant was said to have had the worst background of any prospect ever. Pats drafted Hernandez and he seemed to buy in and keep out of trouble for most part absent some thuggish behaviour in practice which could probably be seen as young man machismo. Then pats extended him only when they had some significant evidence of his ability to be a contributor. They took a chance on a kid, managed it about as good as can be managed, but he was just a bad seed. Not their fault. I prefer these things to happen now and then for kids from crap situations not even get a chance to pursue what let's be honest is the only pathway to success left to them.

the Dez Bryant pre draft talk was some of the most bizarre that I can remember. The Miami GM asking him if his mother was a prostitute when he came in for an interview. Can't help to feel bad for the kid, talk about a loaded question

the Dez Bryant pre draft talk was some of the most bizarre that I can remember. The Miami GM asking him if his mother was a prostitute when he came in for an interview. Can't help to feel bad for the kid, talk about a loaded question

I agree but one of reasons GMs feel compelled to ask such questions is because fans and media point the gun at them after a player does something awful "HOW COULD YOU IGNORE THE RED FLAGS JUST TO WIN A GAME!" But if they ask the question then they are cruel. It is the ultimate no win.

Imputation of omniscience is one of the most insidious logical fallacies as you have to defend a prior action against an accuser who already has the benefit of knowing the outcome and a bias that you're a scumbag.

I agree but one of reasons GMs feel compelled to ask such questions is because fans and media point the gun at them after a player does something awful "HOW COULD YOU IGNORE THE RED FLAGS JUST TO WIN A GAME!"

Imputation of omniscience is one of the most insidious logical fallacies as you have to defend a prior action against an accuser who already has the benefit of knowing the answer and a bias that you're a scumbag.

I think as the interviewer though it's your responsibility to handle sensitive topics with some tact, assuming you're serious about making a prospect part of your team 

I think as the interviewer though it's your responsibility to handle sensitive topics with some tact, assuming you're serious about making a prospect part of your team 

Well who knows how it was said. But yeah pretty tough to ask if "your mother is a whore" tactfully.

that's the guy Mike Westoff keeps saying he wished the Jets took 

He makes Teddy Ginn look like Jerry Rice

Archived