Odell Beckham

joewilly12

This needed its own thread discuss what transpired yesterday and how referees didn't eject him and Coughlin didn't bench him.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it is "likely" Odell Beckham is suspended one game for his actions during the Giants' Week 15 loss to the Panthers.

Schefter cautions the league is still discussing their disciplinary actions, but a suspension is justified after Beckham lost control Sunday. Beckham was flagged for three personal fouls, but his most egregious act came when he drove the crown of his helmet into Josh Norman's head at the end of a play. If he is suspended, that play will likely be the reason. Beckham will likely appeal if he is handed a suspension, making it possible he could play in the most important fantasy week of the season. This developing story will be updated throughout the week.

Odell_Beckham_Cheap_Shot_Josh_Norman.png

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was most surprised that Coughlin didn't pull him from the game.   The refs were horrible in this game.  Yes they called 3 flags but he should have received more including an ejection.  I know they can't see everything on the field but they all knew what was happening and needed to give some more attention to the situation. How many times did they show him attempting a swipe to the head?   Since last year I have thought that Beckham was similar to Steve Smith Sr. which is no problem as long as you don't do anything stupid to hurt your team.  Smith is a great WR that plays with a ton of emotion.  I just thought OBJ needed more time to mature and channel that energy like Smith does.  Yesterday was an implosion by the Madden cover boy.  He will probably get 1 game from the league but the Giants shut shut him down for the season.

The referees need to be suspended for not ejecting him after 3 penalties and Tim Coughlin is a jerk I dont care that he's the oldest coach in the NFL who garners respect not  in my book after that game and then his comments after the game about taking his best player out of a game he needs to win. 

It's too bad OBJ acted like that.  It's beneath his stature as such an outstanding player.  I was talking to some friends yesterday that he has a chance to be the 2nd tier below Jerry Rice (e.g. Randy Moss, T.O. kind of guy).  Hopefully he gets his act together.

The referees need to be suspended for not ejecting him after 3 penalties and Tim Coughlin is a jerk I dont care that he's the oldest coach in the NFL who garners respect not  in my book after that game and then his comments after the game about taking his best player out of a game he needs to win. 

In Coughlin's defense, the Giants did tie the game and OBJ caught the tying TD.  If taken out of the game, Norman would guard the next best WR and the Giants probably don't come back.  It's Coughlin's job to try his best to win games.  I still say the guy is up there with Belichick as the 2 best coaches in the league.  Both HOFers.  I hear a lot of talk about the Giants not bringing the guy back but I couldn't imagine any Giant fan actually wanting that.  The guy is an absolute legend.

Pulling this from the Sunday Games thread - because I feel it needs to be said again 

I'm an LSU fan and completely embarassed by Odell's tantrum on the field today. He should have been thrown out of the game and if the HC had any balls that weren't shrivled he should have pulled him from the game. Shame on Beckham, Shame on Coughlin, Shame on the NFL officiating crew and shame on Fox for constantly  showing the chippy plays over and over and over again like it was some sort of twisted highlight reel. 

Furthermore after hearing Coughlin's postgame comments - he's even more of an asshat than I thought. I lost the sliver of respect I had for the crypt keeper. Good luck on the bingo circuit. As the Post said it after the Jet/Giant game - Nail in the Coughlin !!!

In Coughlin's defense, the Giants did tie the game and OBJ caught the tying TD.  If taken out of the game, Norman would guard the next best WR and the Giants probably don't come back.  It's Coughlin's job to try his best to win games.  I still say the guy is up there with Belichick as the 2 best coaches in the league.  Both HOFers.  I hear a lot of talk about the Giants not bringing the guy back but I couldn't imagine any Giant fan actually wanting that.  The guy is an absolute legend.

Sorry disagree Coughlin should have at least sat him down a few plays or talked to him personally I didnt see either take place. Coughlin doesn't deserve a pass on this. 

Their antics made the game totally great to watch.  First, blame the officials for not taking control of the situation.  That officiating team needs to get suspended for one game.

Second, OBJ's ear holing of Josh Norman should have resulted in immediate disqualification.  That was as bad as throwing a punch, which OBJ also did earlier in the game.

Finally, there needs to be a consequence for multiple personal fouls in a game.  OBJ had three. 

Sorry disagree Coughlin should have at least sat him down a few plays or talked to him personally I didnt see either take place. Coughlin doesn't deserve a pass on this. 

He doesn't. But he put winning and saving his job over that. I think he should have kept him out at least a series and gotten in his face.

Their antics made the game totally great to watch.  First, blame the officials for not taking control of the situation.  That officiating team needs to get suspended for one game.

Second, OBJ's ear holing of Josh Norman should have resulted in immediate disqualification.  That was as bad as throwing a punch, which OBJ also did earlier in the game.

Finally, there needs to be a consequence for multiple personal fouls in a game.  OBJ had three. 

I was about to say, he did throw a bunch and that ear holing, was much worse.  He could have done damage to the guy.

OBJ might be the best WR in the game.  But he's a piece of sh*t.  He's not a Cam type who celebrates in an expression type of form.  He's a bastard who shows you up and spits on you type of player.

Hard to win with those types of guys no matter how good they are, that sh*t bleeds over eventually.  You already have to wonder is it OBJ or the team he cares about?  From my perspective, its OBJ. 

I was about to say, he did throw a bunch and that ear holing, was much worse.  He could have done damage to the guy.

OBJ might be the best WR in the game.  But he's a piece of sh*t.  He's not a Cam type who celebrates in an expression type of form.  He's a bastard who shows you up and spits on you type of player.

Hard to win with those types of guys no matter how good they are, that sh*t bleeds over eventually.  You already have to wonder is it OBJ or the team he cares about?  From my perspective, its OBJ. 

Great post. I didn't have that opinion until yesterday's histrionics.   OBJ really showed his dark side.  What a dick.

This needed its own thread discuss what transpired yesterday and how referees didn't eject him and Coughlin didn't bench him.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it is "likely" Odell Beckham is suspended one game for his actions during the Giants' Week 15 loss to the Panthers.

Schefter cautions the league is still discussing their disciplinary actions, but a suspension is justified after Beckham lost control Sunday. Beckham was flagged for three personal fouls, but his most egregious act came when he drove the crown of his helmet into Josh Norman's head at the end of a play. If he is suspended, that play will likely be the reason. Beckham will likely appeal if he is handed a suspension, making it possible he could play in the most important fantasy week of the season. This developing story will be updated throughout the week.

Odell_Beckham_Cheap_Shot_Josh_Norman.png

This really upsets me. This guy is truly a beast, but he's as dumb as a doorknob. At first I looked at his outbursts as purely competitive (Kicking the football during the Jets game). Though it hurt the team with the penalty, I felt like it was sending more of a wake up call to himself and the team, which right after the penalty he responded with a BIG 3rd down conversion. 

What happened yesterday was just disgusting. Whats worse actually his how the refs had no control. Im not one to toss a guy out of a game, but that helmet blow to Norman's chin was the line for me. He would have been ejected on the spot and if his coach even uttered a word he would have been ejected too. 

Odell Beckham is a absolute marvel, an all-world talent, but the dude seriously needs to get his mind right. And the NFL needs to stop with the f'ing favoritism. This is not the right message to send. I dont care about the monetary fine. He could have easily knocked Norman out cold with that helmet hit or even broken his jaw. He literally caught him under the facemask. That was uncalled for and totally unsportsmanlike. 

I understand bending the rules or getting "really close" to the line. Im a habitual line toucher personally, but he totally crossed it...by a mile at that. He tried to hurt him, and thats just not cool. 

Beckham has been an ass since coming into the league, yesterday was just
a culmination of all the enabling and butt kissing he's received.  Beckham
is a perfect example of what the "sports society" worships, highlights and
stats NOT WINS.  He's done nothing but lose since coming into the league,
but that's alright "look at that one handed catch".  What garbage!!!  On
top of that Coughlin's inaction highlighted what the Giants have done as
a "classy organization" forever.  They'll excuse ANY behavior for the sake
of winning, they've been doing it since Lawrence Taylor and it was exposed
on TV yesterday.  All I know is Bowles benched Wilkerson for a quarter just
for being late to a meeting in a must win game.  Just saying

Beckham has been an ass since coming into the league, yesterday was just
a culmination of all the enabling and butt kissing he's received.  Beckham
is a perfect example of what the "sports society" worships, highlights and
stats NOT WINS.  He's done nothing but lose since coming into the league,
but that's alright "look at that one handed catch".  What garbage!!!  On
top of that Coughlin's inaction highlighted what the Giants have done as
a "classy organization" forever.  They'll excuse ANY behavior for the sake
of winning, they've been doing it since Lawrence Taylor and it was exposed
on TV yesterday.  All I know is Bowles benched Wilkerson for a quarter just
for being late to a meeting in a must win game.  Just saying

Tom Coughlin is an ass I don't care who likes it or not his age is no excuse for his behavior. 

minor point but in our game and again yesterday OBJ took his helmet off while on the field and didn't get flagged.  Refs are treating him like he's entitled and it's obviously gone to his head.  I think a game or two in 2016 would be a more appropriate suspension, not now when his team has been eliminated.      

minor point but in our game and again yesterday OBJ took his helmet off while on the field and didn't get flagged.  Refs are treating him like he's entitled and it's obviously gone to his head.  I think a game or two in 2016 would be a more appropriate suspension, not now when his team has been eliminated.      

Agree 

The Giants aren't eliminated yet. I am rooting for the suspension this week so that it can be ONE of the reasons the Giants lose and get officially eliminated and because it will piss off the thousands of Fantasy owners that will lose him for their Championship game next week. 

I'm likely playing against a team that has OBJ & Manning for a championship next week (that team won, I'm down 6 with Brees & Tate going tonight) so I'm biased, but ...

if that was a defender launching themselves helmet first into the ear hole of a QB standing near a pile, this wouldn't even be a discussion.  He needs to be suspended.

The Giants aren't eliminated yet. I am rooting for the suspension this week so that it can be ONE of the reasons the Giants lose and get officially eliminated and because it will piss off the thousands of Fantasy owners that will lose him for their Championship game next week. 

oops, my bad, yeah, Giants still have a 4% chance to make the playoffs

This shouldn't come as much of a surprise.  The NFL's corners were tired of Odell's royalty treatment and decided to play him as physical as possible.  There's an element of Odell's personality that can't handle it.  This has been going on all season, even in the PRESEASON:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/08/giants_not_worried_as_wide_receiver_odell_beckham.html

But there was no spark to be had. Instead, a rocky outing that saw Beckham targeted five times with no catches (and one drop) and, as his frustration boiled over after the final incompletion, give a hard shove to Jaguars safety Sergio Brown, who took umbrage and got in Beckham's face. The two were quickly separated with no further incident.

Look, it's the refs job to eject a player who's out of control like that.  His earholing Norman should have been immediate ejection.  Coughlin absolutely could have sat OBJ down for a series to cool off, but his job is to win games with the players he has at his disposal.  The Giants were in the midst of trying to win the division.  He can deal with OBJ internally after the game, fine him, whatever.  But with the division on the line he can't bench his best player, and frankly the only weapon they have. 

Archived