SW Force Awakens ***SPOILER*** Thread

prime21

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God dammit. Deja vu.

It was one heck of a pipe dream to have three "Star Wars" films over the course of a year and a half, but it looks like it was just that: a pipe dream.

According to THR, "Star Wars Episode VIII," which was originally slated for release on May 26, 2017, has been pushed back to December 15 of the same year. In its place, Disney has pushed up "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales," which is about a month and a half earlier than its original July 7 release date. 

The outlet goes on to explain that the decision was made so that the franchise may continue to capitalize on the holiday release date. Right now, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" has made nearly $2 billion worldwide, and it may be because it had very little competition for the longest time. Were Disney to go forward with a summer release date, "Star Wars Episode VIII" would be up against some heavy hitters a lot sooner following its release.

There's been no confirmation from Disney as of this writing, but if this is true, then Disney is likely to continue with a holiday release for each successive "Star Wars" film. While it is a bit disappointing that "Episode VIII" is getting pushed back, being treated to a new "Star Wars" flick the same time every year isn't a bad holiday tradition to embrace.

^ Also I call bullsh*t on them trying to capitalize on holiday releases. This is about Disney not trying to compound Star Wars on top of any of the Marvel movies. Disney would have had Guardians 2 and Spider-Man bookending Ep VIII. Damn you, monopolies, damn you.

when I was a young whippersnapper we had to wait 3 years in between star wars movies !

now you kids today want one every 6 months !

get off my lawn !

Finally saw it, I liked, just not sure how much

1) Rey as luke's daughter was pushed in a heavy handed way, Abrams and the new guy Johnson aren't really known for being straight forward, so I expect some twist like she's a descendant of Obi, which is likely to come off as cheesy (while her' being Luke's daughter will come off as obvious/easy). I feel like this was done this was to kick off all this internet debate (which it has) but ultimately it's not going to work in the movies themselves

2) Wasn't feeling Kylo Ren, he often acted like a petulant child and without the robe and mask wasn't really an imposing figure. Kind of looked like some skinny guy you'd find in a coffee shop with a mac book. He's also already been nerfed as Rey has bested him 2x with the force even though he's been trained and she's a noob, I'm not sure how to spin this guy into a villian to be feared in later episodes when presumably once Rey has training he'll be no match for her. Yes he had more depth then a traditional SW villain and wasn't portrayed like a piece of wood like Anakin was in the trilogy, so it's not all bad

3) I did like Rey however, i think the access played her well

3) I like that the special effects were toned down and the film resembled the original trilogy a lot more than the prequels.

4) I like the nod to a New Hope, and I think it was a familiar way to draw the original fans into the new characters, Smart.

5) The nazi symbolism used in some of the First Order scenes was very heavy handed and over the top imo, we get it, thier evil, I don't necessarily want to be reminded of one of the worst parts of human history while watching a silly kids movie

6) I think ultimately what I liked about the movie was seeing some welcome familiar faces and characters from my childhood, Han appearing definitively put a smile on my face although Ford seemed a bit disinterested, or just old lol.. But, if this was a completely original movie or I didn't have a connection to it from my childhood, I'm not sure how well it stands on it's own 2 feet viewing as an adult. It's a kids movie that is appealing to adults who grew up watching the original trilogy as kids,which is what it's aiming for frankly

1) Rey as luke's daughter was pushed in a heavy handed way, Abrams and the new guy Johnson aren't really known for being straight forward, so I expect some twist like she's a descendant of Obi, which is likely to come off as cheesy (while her' being Luke's daughter will come off as obvious/easy). I feel like this was done this was to kick off all this internet debate (which it has) but ultimately it's not going to work in the movies themselves

2) Wasn't feeling Kylo Ren, he often acted like a petulant child and without the robe and mask wasn't really an imposing figure. Kind of looked like some skinny guy you'd find in a coffee shop with a mac book. He's also already been nerfed as Rey has bested him 2x with the force even though he's been trained and she's a noob, I'm not sure how to spin this guy into a villian to be feared in later episodes when presumably once Rey has training he'll be no match for her. Yes he had more depth then a traditional SW villain and wasn't portrayed like a piece of wood like Anakin was in the trilogy, so it's not all bad

3) I like that the special effects were toned down and the film resembled the original trilogy a lot more than the prequels.

4) I like the nod to a New Hope, and I think it was a familiar way to draw the original fans into the new characters, Smart.

5) The nazi symbolism used in some of the First Order scenes was very heavy handed and over the top imo, we get it, thier evil, I don't necessarily want to be reminded of one of the worst parts of human history while watching a silly kids movie

6) I think ultimately what I liked about the movie was seeing some welcome familiar faces and characters from my childhood, Han appearing definitively put a smile on my face although Ford seemed a bit disinterested, or just old lol.. But, if this was a completely original movie or I didn't have a connection to it from my childhood, I'm not sure how well it stands on it's own 2 feet viewing as an adult. It's a kids movie that is appealing to adults who grew up watching the original trilogy as kids,which is what it's aiming for frankly

I think everything you're bothered by with Kylo was all calculated.  He's not a complete product yet and as you alluded to with it being to straight forward with Rey being Luke's daughter, I'm sure they have a twist with Kylo as well. 

I think everything you're bothered by with Kylo was all calculated.  He's not a complete product yet and as you alluded to with it being to straight forward with Rey being Luke's daughter, I'm sure they have a twist with Kylo as well. 

Maybe, just not sure how they are going to turn him into an imposing villain. (if that's even the arc)

My quick thoughts (sorry if this repeats anything in the thread.. I only read the first 2 pages so far):  Rey is NOT Luke's daughter.  Too simplistic and she would have known him.  Rey is a Kenobe, probably Obi Wan's granddaughter.  Notice how Rey hands Luke his light saber, the very same one Obi Wan gave him, in the exact same way and wearing basically the very same clothing that Obi Wan did in the first film.  Also, Rey's powers are way stronger than Luke's at the same pre-training stage.  The Jedi mind trick she does to get the storm trooper to do whatever she wanted was exactly what Obi Wan did. She's an orphan being raised by others in the same exact way that Luke was and in the same exact planet that Obi Wan placed Luke as an "orphan".   This all traces back to Obi Wan.  Now Luke can train Rey the way he was trained by Kenobe (and Yoda). 

Harrison Ford is under contract for the next film.  Not sure about the one after that.  I hope the make-up department is ready because his will all be flashbacks to raising Ben (Kylo Ren) as an infant.  They are not resurrecting Hans Solo.  He's not magical.  

She's an orphan being raised by others in the same exact way that Luke was and in the same exact planet that Obi Wan placed Luke as an "orphan".  

I'm far from a Star Wars uber-nerd, but Tattoine and Jakku, while both portrayed as desert sh*tholes, are not the same planet.  They're not even in the same system for crissakes!

I'm far from a Star Wars uber-nerd, but Tattoine and Jakku, while both portrayed as desert sh*tholes, are not the same planet.  They're not even in the same system for crissakes!

whoops... you are right.  Similar desert features and the home to scavengers made them look alike.  Went a liitle too far in looking for the signs that she is indeed a Kenobi and not a Skywalker.  Her powers are a bit too strong at this point.  Compare to Luke and even Leah at the same ages. 

^ Also I call bullsh*t on them trying to capitalize on holiday releases. This is about Disney not trying to compound Star Wars on top of any of the Marvel movies. Disney would have had Guardians 2 and Spider-Man bookending Ep VIII. Damn you, monopolies, damn you.

I read something yesterday about another factor in pushing it back was so that they could do some rewrites on the script to reflect the unexpected popularity of the new characters. Maybe Finn died in the first draft but now they'll just encase him in carbonite or something. 

My quick thoughts (sorry if this repeats anything in the thread.. I only read the first 2 pages so far):  Rey is NOT Luke's daughter.  Too simplistic and she would have known him.  Rey is a Kenobe, probably Obi Wan's granddaughter.  Notice how Rey hands Luke his light saber, the very same one Obi Wan gave him, in the exact same way and wearing basically the very same clothing that Obi Wan did in the first film.  Also, Rey's powers are way stronger than Luke's at the same pre-training stage.  The Jedi mind trick she does to get the storm trooper to do whatever she wanted was exactly what Obi Wan did. She's an orphan being raised by others in the same exact way that Luke was and in the same exact planet that Obi Wan placed Luke as an "orphan".   This all traces back to Obi Wan.  Now Luke can train Rey the way he was trained by Kenobe (and Yoda). 

Harrison Ford is under contract for the next film.  Not sure about the one after that.  I hope the make-up department is ready because his will all be flashbacks to raising Ben (Kylo Ren) as an infant.  They are not resurrecting Hans Solo.  He's not magical.  

Very nice...interesting stuff for a casual jedi like myself.

I read something yesterday about another factor in pushing it back was so that they could do some rewrites on the script to reflect the unexpected popularity of the new characters. Maybe Finn died in the first draft but now they'll just encase him in carbonite or something. 

was fin really popular? I didn't think he was a good actor , reminded of w/e his name is from prequel .. wooden

was fin really popular? I didn't think he was a good actor , reminded of w/e his name is from prequel .. wooden

I just don't think they fleshed out his character enough as far as backstory or whatever. Also they didn't explain why he had asthma. 

OtqL-k.gif

C'mon... that guy was like Sir Laurence Olivier compared to Hayden Christensen.

+ 1,000

C'mon... that guy was like Sir Laurence Olivier compared to Hayden Christensen.

lol, also hurt that Anakin was the central character that was so thoroughly botched, this guy was just a supporting character but not very good imo

• 4 weeks later...

FYI

Rebecca Macatee, eonline
Seconds ago

Star Wars: Episode VIII is officially in production!

On Monday, StarWars.com announced the movie's new cast and released a teaser trailer that picks up right where Star Wars: The Force Awakens left off. Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis are returning for the next chapter in the Star Wars saga, and they'll be joined by new cast members Benicio Del Toro, Laura Dern, and newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

PHOTOS: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens: Movie Pics

The official announcement read : "Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016."

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson, is scheduled for release December 15, 2017.

Archived