Extend Fitz NOW

jgb

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Send a message. Team guys who turn franchises around get rewarded here. Some desperate owner WILL bid Fitz up if we let it go there. Right now the love at an all time high: on both sides. Get a deal done ASAP.

I would extend him, but see if we can get a fair deal. Not necessarily "team friendly" but fair. Outside of his ability, I would like to keep a guy like Fitz around for the influence. I mentioned in another thread that I've never really seen a Jets offensive team so joyous. He's established something unique and rare. We need new guys coming in to be part of that culture change. 

We better destroy Rex and the Bills next week. Send a message. 

I would extend him, but see if we can get a fair deal. Not necessarily "team friendly" but fair. Outside of his ability, I would like to keep a guy like Fitz around for the influence. I mentioned in another thread that I've never really seen a Jets offensive team so joyous. He's established something unique and rare. We need new guys coming in to be part of that culture change. 

What is fair I wonder. Not being a pain I am really curious. What is the best Comp for him? Dalton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the fair deal will be close to Tanneyhill coin

Tannehill was given "franchise guy money". FItzpatrick would have to be 10 years younger to even think that he would be getting such a contract. 

Give Fitz 6 or 7 million per year for 3 years. 

Fitzy wont get 7 yr deal, he will get a 4 yr deal and he will get between $12 and $15m per yr

Then maybe a 4 year 40 million dollar deal. This guy has to be able to connect down field consistently if he wants to make Carson Palmer money. 

I would say 4 yrs $50M , even JGB as a lawyer would endorse this.  Woody has the coin and there is no other QB option.

There is a lot to like about Fitzy. He's very accurate on the short stuff. He is a leader on the field. He is tough as they come and not afraid to make a mistake unlike many other Jets QB's who the more they worried about making a mistake the sooner they did. Fitzy is a terrible long passer though. He can't continue to miss wide open guys down the field. It really should have been a Jets blowout if he connects with Enunwa early and then Tomkins. Would have been a huge Jets lead. The win is the important thing though and I would certainly be in favor of reupping him on a two year deal. Bryce Petty - who I promise CAN throw a great deep ball - will be ready by the end of next year.

I would say 4 yrs $50M , even JGB as a lawyer would endorse this.  Woody has the coin and there is no other QB option.

Only way he is making over 10 per is with an AFC championship appearance imho.

If he can get us into the playoffs and actually win a game then okay. I think his performance today vs the Pats was a great case for him. If we can beat the Bills, get into the playoffs and make some noise I dont see how 4 years 50 million is too much. But imo you pay 12.5 million for a guy who can win you playoff games. 

Tom Brady makes 9 million yet he wins Superbowls, by any means, but you get my point. Fitz has to get to, and win playoff games. 

True. I can even seen that. You end up starting for a team that was 4-12 they year prior and you have the opportunity to go 11-5? Yeah, you can get 7-9 million. But all that 12-15 million per? 

You got to win playoff games to see that type of money. 

Let the record show that Glennon The Foe is on board with paying 7-9M for Fitz-magic.

Personally I'm not even excited about bringing Fitz back next year as I think this is his magical season (a la Vinny 1998).  I certainly hope I'm wrong but I just don't see a repeat.  Let's see what he can do next week and, hopefully, in the post-season (should we get there).

after the season and the playoffs, hopefully, is when you extend him--provided he is upright

Why? I know it is conventional wisdom but is there any way his value goes down? Even if he lays eggs next week or in playoffs he is still best option for 2016. His price can only go up. Especially once other bidders are allowed in the building. So why wait?

Personally I'm not even excited about bringing Fitz back next year as I think this is his magical season (a la Vinny 1998).  I certainly hope I'm wrong but I just don't see a repeat.  Let's see what he can do next week and, hopefully, in the post-season (should we get there).

With the quality GM/HC we have in charge the magic can continue. Marshall and Decker are going nowhere too.

There is a lot to like about Fitzy. He's very accurate on the short stuff. He is a leader on the field. He is tough as they come and not afraid to make a mistake unlike many other Jets QB's who the more they worried about making a mistake the sooner they did. Fitzy is a terrible long passer though. He can't continue to miss wide open guys down the field. It really should have been a Jets blowout if he connects with Enunwa early and then Tomkins. Would have been a huge Jets lead. The win is the important thing though and I would certainly be in favor of reupping him on a two year deal. Bryce Petty - who I promise CAN throw a great deep ball - will be ready by the end of next year.

at least Fitz has been overthrowing the deep ball, shouldn't have that problem with smith next year. Will be nice to have him back

Fitz and his agent will laugh at Jets if they offered $7-9 per year. Bradford is making $13 mil per and Foles $12.5.  Cutler, Kaep and Romo are making between $18 and $19 mill per.  Thats Fitz range now because of the dirth of quality QBs, $12 to $18 per. Thats the way salaries are now.

I am fully on board with resigning Fitz! But NOT at an absurd contract for an NFL journeyman.  A Josh McCown like career season in Chicago is more likely the right comparison than a Rich Gannon MVP late career surge. Pay him a notch above fair compensation, no more.

Why? I know it is conventional wisdom but is there any way his value goes down? Even if he lays eggs next week or in playoffs he is still best option for 2016. His price can only go up. Especially once other bidders are allowed in the building. So why wait?

This won't turn into a bidding war. QB-needy teams are already in a good spot to draft somebody. The Jets have a fair bit of leverage, and ultimately Fitz wouldn't want to leave the only coach (and system) he has been successful in.

He will get an extension, only question is how much of it is guaranteed. That's the only number that matters. They could guarantee $10 mil for his next 2 years and comfortably have enough cap space to build the team. That would be more than double the amount he is guaranteed on his current deal: $4 million. It's fair when you consider that he is currently on a back-up QB salary of $2 million per year.

This won't turn into a bidding war. QB-needy teams are already in a good spot to draft somebody. The Jets have a fair bit of leverage, and ultimately Fitz wouldn't want to leave the only coach (and system) he has been successful in.

He will get an extension, only question is how much of it is guaranteed. That's the only number that matters. They could guarantee $10 mil for his next 2 years and comfortably have enough cap space to build the team. That would be more than double the amount he is guaranteed on his current deal: $4 million. It's fair when you consider that he is currently on a back-up QB salary of $2 million per year.

I prefer not to risk the only palatable offense in over a decade on the opinion--however well informed--that there will not be a bidding war. Also your response, thank you for it, doesn't address what is the more salient point: his price ain't going down so why wait? It can only go up.

Also double current salary might sound nice and "fair" but the market sets the price, not the former salary. So why give the market a chance? Do it now.

Archived